Page 61 of 188 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 4680

Thread: Toyguru Update on 2013 Subscriptions

There is absolutely no way we are making this minimum if we are currently at less than 50%. No way.

It is not much different than a movie premier. If they expect $60M in the opening weekend but only see $23M, they're finished and they know it. They will see sales in subsequent weeks, but a fraction of what they need.

This update is shocking.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Spaceman View Post
    Now Scott says that if they don't meet the minimum number of subscriptions the price would rise to $30-$35 and we'd only see 6-8 figures released within the year...
    If Mattel does that, they would be unilaterally altering the conditions of a contract that they have already signed with the customers that have purchased a subscription service for 12 monthly figures at $25 each (+ the oversizeds). No subscriber would then be obliged to fulfill their part of the contract and buy 6-8 figures at $30-$35 each. Mattel would need to cancel and reimburse all subscriptions for 2013 that have already been purchased and relaunch the subscription process all over again from the ground with the new contractual conditions clearly stated from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I think I understand what you're saying. I'm not that great at math anymore, but something seems off. If the minimum number of subscriptions is a fixed number, then losing 50% of what the subscription was last year is never going to equal the minimum requirement.

For example, let's pretend 5000 is the minimum requirement to greenlight the sub. Last year the subscription sold 50% more which would be 7500. But half of that wouldn't = 5000

Also, if the subscription was 6000 sold at this point last year, then we would be at 2400 which is 48% of the minimum of 5000.

Does that sound right?

What I'm guessing, is maybe they just say we have to hit 100% of the minimum but secretly management gives 25% leeway?

Am I making sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada-Man View Post
    Didn't scott say that they could lose 50 percent from last years numbers and we would be okay? so in 2012 we had 5000 lose 50% which would be 2500 and this year we are at 46% if 2500...which is 1150 or somthing.... thats how I was picturing it. I'm more than likely wrong though...just showing what I thought was meant...
    Nah, it's way off but good try! It depends on perspective, but whatever your perspective, you must remain consistent. If you are looking from the basis of the full amount of last year's subs, your working with 100% - 70% = 30%. Assuming the number of minimum subs held steady, than 50% last year would equal a goal 100% this year. All you have to do is multiply by two and that was what our starting point was supposed to be as of the "60-70% down" quote. So from last years perspective it would have looked like 30% with 20% to go since it only has to add up to 50%, from this year's perspective it's 60% with 40% to go.

All that must be off anyway as we're not even at 50% yet this year. Like Val said, it might be more accurate to say that subs were down closer to 80-85%.

Edit: In other words using your numbers it would be if 5000 is the min this year then last year's total was around 10000, not 7500. 70% down from last year's total would have meant at a loss of 7000 subs leaving us with 3000 subs so far for this year.

So now take the new number Scott just gave us and apply it to what you put out there...46% of 5000 is 2300 so far then. If this were last year it would have been 23% not 30% of the eventual total.
    Last edited by Inhibitor; July 24, 2012 at 09:25pm.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    When I read that the line would/could continue even if minimums aren't met as a 6-8 figure line at $35 each, I honestly welcomed the idea. From my perspective, this is a no-brainer. It's less than half of the financial commitment (after tax and s&h) of the current sub. It drastically reduces the financial burden on international buyers by limiting shipping costs to half of what they would be.
    It's not just cost, but value. These figures simply aren't worth $65-$80 for most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Going back to 12 would be better. We originally had 12 figures at $20 each. Why couldn't we do 12 at $25 each?

12 x $25 = $300
    8 x $35 = $280

For $20 more, you get 4 more figures. Ship 2 every other month to save on shipping. That sounds more awesome to me than the 6 or 8 deal!

I'm still hoping for the sub to sell the minimum and pull through, but scaling back to 12 like it was in the beginning of the line could be the real answer for next year, to grab more people.
    id be down for this
    the ignore list is my new best friend

I hate to say it but i just lost hope for the sub happening if we are that far off from the minimum. Very much hope i am wrong.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    It's not just cost, but value. These figures simply aren't worth $65-$80 for most of us.
    Outside of int'l folks who are already paying out the nose, who would end up paying $65-$80 if they are selling for $30-$35? Domestic would be roughly $50 (from $40 ish now), which is much more palatable when it is only 6-8 times a year.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

About the numbers, to my knowledge this is what we have been told:

1) Subs were down 60-70% of where they were at this time last year. That refers to the first week or less when he made that comment. It's also from Pixel-Dan's twitter during Roast Gooble:
    2013 subscription sales are about 60 - 70 percent less than last year st this time. That's the reason for his posts.
    2) We could lose 50% of the (total) 2012 subs and still hit the minimum.
    3) Subs were at 30-40% of the minimum on Sunday during Roast Gooble. They are now at 46% of the minimum.
    4) The 2012 sub hit the minimum in the first two days.

So from these numbers, we can assume the sub numbers when Toyguru made comment #1 were at 30-40% of the minimum (since we hit the minimum "at that time" last year). They didn't change all that much by the time he was on Roast Gooble. Over the weekend (he did say Mattel was closed on Sunday and he was eager to see the numbers on Monday) we reached 46% of the minimum.

The key piece here is sales were down 60-70% compared to the same number of days it was on sale last year. Most people take this as 60-70% of total sales from last year. This is wrong.

Yeah, I never want to be the guy with bad news. I get it, I really do. And no one expected prices to skyrocket over the last few years. I wish it was better, but in the past we have hit the min number of sub holders for MOTU in the first 48 hours and this year we aren't even close and it has been days. If we don't hit the min, unfortunately the line may be heading out.

So if you are on the fence, time to buy a sub!

I am 100% NOT trying to strongarm anyone (or Fang man them() - that was a Filmation joke). I am just trying to tell it like it is. In the past we always hit the min very quickly. And until that happens, and because we are are so far off this year I wanted to let fans know what is happening. If you haven't gotten your sub, step up and support more MOTUC!
    DC is tracking to where it was last year (which if trends continue it will be the bare min to at least go forward with the sub, I'm not sure if we will hit the "fully tool'd fig in 2014 mark"). MOTU is about 50% down from where we were at this point last year. Watchmen is its own thing but is doing about as well as DC.

So MOTU is the biggest concern right now. We usually get the bulk of sub int he first 48 hours and in the past have hit the min for MOTU in those first two days. This year, due to the price increase it has been slower.

So if you love MOTUC, the way you can vote for more figs is to buy a sub. Not a scare tactic, just the truth.
    PS- for the life of me I can't find this 60-70% quote from Toyguru other that Pixel-Dan's tweet, but I know that's what I read. Can someone find it?
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

I am curious how difficult it must be to put a meter together. The DC meter is most likely adjusted manually since it didn't move until Monday morning. It shouldn't take a lot of effort to drag and drop the asymmetrical meter from the DC page and just fill it accordingly. It is just another issue that is not being addressed really.

I told you, I told you all

No Rio? We Riot!

This just proves how strong the movement is. Rio Blast did not get revealed so now people are Rioting With Their Wallets™. If Rio Blast was revealed at SDCC then we wouldn't be in this situation.

If you don't agree then I implore you to prove me wrong

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    Outside of int'l folks who are already paying out the nose, who would end up paying $65-$80 if they are selling for $30-$35? Domestic would be roughly $50 (from $40 ish now), which is much more palatable when it is only 6-8 times a year.
    That's just it, you were saying the lower figure numbers would make it more affordable for those of us who were international. My point is that for those of us who are international, we're still paying $65 at minimum for figures and really the value just isn't there.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    If He-man and She-ra ever meant anything to you, then take their example.

Don't give up until its over. Stay the course. We still have two weeks to go and people are buying the sub everyday. Most people will get paid at the end and beginning of the month, so we have a boost coming. A lot of people are waiting to get paid, so we may pull this off.

I don't want anybody to write about how hopeless things are. It is always in the darkest moments when we see the best out of people. So let's follow the examples our heroes have given us. Keep hope going. It's not over.

I posted this elsewhere and I'll post it again and again. If the line dies, then it dies. Not quietly like a retailer line. It went out with a fight. Those of us who could, we put or money into something that we loved. There is no shame that the numbers were just not there. That was just bad luck in a bad economy. If you guys put your heart and money into this, then you have something to be proud off. You didn't let it die.

If you can, please get a sub. Forgive TG. Forgive the defective figures and remember the good ones. Do it for love of MOTU. Be the heroes you can be. We can all get the figures we want. Let's stand together.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post

No Rio? We Riot!

This just proves how strong the movement is. Rio Blast did not get revealed so now people are Rioting With Their Wallets™. If Rio Blast was revealed at SDCC then we wouldn't be in this situation.
    He's my favorite characters and tbh, I'm glad he wasn't revealed. Considering how badly international shipping has been handled at SDCC; I shudder to think of how equally badly Rio might have been handled, considering the final decisions for the line rest with Mattel.

I joked earlier about tweeting Christina. I'm starting to get desperate. I may do just that.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I joked earlier about tweeting Christina. I'm starting to get desperate. I may do just that.
    Do it!

Anyone here that could create a hit sensation on YouTube? We need someone to get 15 minutes of MOTUC fame and be a YouTube sensation to boost subs!

Is it likely that the minimum sub order went up because there will be no more day of sale stock?

Perhaps this is the missing number in the equation.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Going back to 12 would be better. We originally had 12 figures at $20 each. Why couldn't we do 12 at $25 each?

12 x $25 = $300
    8 x $35 = $280

For $20 more, you get 4 more figures. Ship 2 every other month to save on shipping. That sounds more awesome to me than the 6 or 8 deal!

I'm still hoping for the sub to sell the minimum and pull through, but scaling back to 12 like it was in the beginning of the line could be the real answer for next year, to grab more people.
    They can't do just 12 standard figs. They need oversized slots for characters like Ram Man, Modulok, and actual beasts/army builders.
    I'm down for 6-8, +2 oversized, but NOT at an increased price. At the current levels, which would make them more affordable for those who just can't commit otherwise.
    This increase talk is coming from selling less subs than they need. In the event that they do sell enough this year, reducing numbers in 2014 might be a good strategy.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post

No Rio? We Riot!

If you don't agree then I implore you to prove me wrong
    I have a rock that keeps the tigers away. Want to buy it from me?

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Is it likely that the minimum sub order went up because there will be no more day of sale stock?

Perhaps this is the missing number in the equation.
    That is possible Mattel is adding that number into the minimum required number now.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Hey, I say if it might help, and she'd be willing to RT, then go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    If He-man and She-ra ever meant anything to you, then take their example.

Don't give up until its over. Stay the course. We still have two weeks to go and people are buying the sub everyday. Most people will get paid at the end and beginning of the month, so we have a boost coming. A lot of people are waiting to get paid, so we may pull this off.

I don't want anybody to write about how hopeless things are. It is always in the darkest moments when we see the best out of people. So let's follow the examples our heroes have given us. Keep hope going. It's not over.

I posted this elsewhere and I'll post it again and again. If the line dies, then it dies. Not quietly like a retailer line. It went out with a fight. Those of us who could, we put or money into something that we loved. There is no shame that the numbers were just not there. That was just bad luck in a bad economy. If you guys put your heart and money into this, then you have something to be proud off. You didn't let it die.

If you can, please get a sub. Forgive TG. Forgive the defective figures and remember the good ones. Do it for love of MOTU. Be the heroes you can be. We can all get the figures we want. Let's stand together.
    Thanks for keeping up the positivity! Come on fence-sitters, join the club!

Quit getting bogged down with all the negativity, we get it. Now let's save the line and the brand!

Remember, it's not likely that we will ever have a shot at a MOTU line like this again! We have the best sculpting team in place right now creating the best action figures yet, seize the moment: Keep MOTUC Alive!
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!

I have a rock that keeps the tigers away. Want to buy it from me?
    I certainly do. Australia is renown for its Tigers. This could save my life

Quote Originally Posted by Delthaindia View Post
    italian users made a list of subscribers for both 2012 and 2013.
    2012: 62 (total)
    2013: 16 (til now)
    So Italy is at 25% of last years' sales. Matches the 46% TG just quoted.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Thanks for keeping up the positivity! Come on fence-sitters, join the club!

Quit getting bogged down with all the negativity, we get it. Now let's save the line and the brand!

Remember, it's not likely that we will ever have a shot at a MOTU line like this again! We have the best sculpting team in place right now creating the best action figures yet, seize the moment: Keep MOTUC Alive!
    You are 100% correct. This is our last shot at the line we've always wanted! By 2014, we could have all the major players!!!

We need to stick together here.

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    And yet TG thoroughly earns it - especially with his dealings with international fans. His response with trying to find a workaround in the form of bulk shipping is a blanket "can't be done" while telling us that we should even be grateful we're even getting international shipping - not to mention this was after we were told we were "a drop in the bucket" - in other words, irrelevant to the success of the line!

Now I don't know what sales etiquette is like in Canada, but here in Australia, that kind of obnoxiousness doesn't fly from friends, let alone from business representatives towards paying customers!

So seriously, while your compassion is admirable, you need to spread that compassion towards your fellow fans who have put up with things for the past 4 years and whose patience is finally exhausted.

Believe me I have plenty of compassion for frustrated fans, I'm one of them. I was just saying that constantly reading all this negativity can become overwhelming, and in the end unfortunately unproductive. Whether we agree or not with Mattel's current choices they aren't going to change them.

The only choice we are left with is to support the current line as imperfect as it is, or receive nothing. If someone feels too exhausted to continue to support the line because of past negative experiences that's completely their right, and I understand. I however am going to bite the bullet and re-sub because I love MOTUC more than I hate the problems I've had collecting it. All I can hope is that enough fan's feel the same way, and the required number to move forward will be reached. I really love receiving my monthly MOTUC figures.

Yea, if you can swing it... get the sub, sell the figs u don't want, or give them to a kid you know or charity and keep the receipt for a charitable tax deduction. There are options if you really wanna keep the line alive.
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!