Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: International Issues - MOTUC Subscriptions

Basically we are going to get extra customs charges each time matty ships us an item be it one item or many
    If we get a charge every month its quite crippling, but if our figures could be shipped via say DHL every Quarter? then shipping is more cost effective, and the customs fees are spread over more product.

A virtual warehouse/pile-o-loot system on matty would allow international fans to keep subbing and offset some of the costs, we all know its out of mattel's control the shipping/customs fees, but they could make it easier shipping in bulk

I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind paying the sub fee's every month, then having a big shipment every quarter

unfortunately we keep getting told international fans make up a tiny fraction of subscribers so mattel aren't willing to help, and now this year we all seem to be jumping ship, and now subs are lower than ever - personally i see a correlation and that international fans made up a bigger percentage than mattel let on!
    At the very least when now they need all the subscribers they can get they should be trying to help and encourage us to renew our subs

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLyne View Post
    I'm pretty sure they don't charge VAT on shipping, but the shipping cost has to be clearly marked on the package/paperwork. So if you had a parcel that was marked £14 value £10 shipping, it would be ok, but if it was just marked £24 total then you're charged on the full amount.
    I've quoted the HMRC website many times with the VAT charges info. THEY DO charge on the combined value of item value and shipping. It's written in black and white. End of.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Keyboard Warrior The Blue Beetle's Avatar
    As an international subscriber, I have NO ISSUE with shipping costs. I realise that shipping prices are ever-rising, and that this is the price I pay for deciding to get these toys. It is MY decision. No one is pointing a gun to my head here. If I find that I get into financial difficulty because I couldn't say "no" to these figures, then I only have myself to blame for that. I'm not going to complain about rising shipping costs, because that is completely out of my control.

Heroic Warrior
    I have posted a possible solution to the problems facing international members.

It was moved to the Classics Marketplace forum, so I just wanted to mention it here.

Please read it and offer feedback.

A possible solution to the International Customer exodus?

Offer international customers a sub that provides figures at their original 2008-2012 prices, but charge a "Membership Fee" of $60 - $80 ahead of time. This would allow Mattel to technically make the same profit it is making on the new prices, and it would also encourage non-U.S. customers not to cancel after a few months.

AND

Offer quarterly shipment bundles for non-U.S. customers to reduce the customs and shipping charges.

If Mattel wants to raise prices on this line, that's fine, but they need to do their homework and treat the diverse specialty market as such, not like a retailer.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Those are all excellent suggestions but it seems like they will fall on deaf ears. There are solutions to any number of problems with loosing out on customers, international and stateside, but it really doesn't seem like any other scenarios are being entertained. I just don't see why they seem to be pushing such a hard line scenario where there are no winners, only losers.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Well TG seems to be stuck on the answer "we can't cater to each individual buyers habits" and doesn't seem to realize prior to the scare tactics post the real problems created by Digital River and the alienation of international buyers. Heck, I'm only Canadian but my shipping is the same as Europeans? It sucks that this has to be the slap of reality that maybe TG needed, but could also be the end of the line.

J

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I'm not too sure about the bulk shipping (more customs fees), but charging the 2008-2012 prices for International customers and charging them an up-front "Subscriber fee" for the difference is GENIUS! That WILL save money on customs right there!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I'm not sure it's worth Mattel's time to cater to each international fan's needs considering each country may have different thresholds and regulations for their customs duties and taxes.

Sounds like a good idea. I hope something works out, I feel bad for the overseas fans.
    Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Offer international customers a sub that provides figures at their original 2008-2012 prices, but charge a "Membership Fee" of $60 - $80 ahead of time. This would allow Mattel to technically make the same profit it is making on the new prices, and it would also encourage non-U.S. customers not to cancel after a few months.

AND

Offer quarterly shipment bundles for non-U.S. customers to reduce the customs and shipping charges.

If Mattel wants to raise prices on this line, that's fine, but they need to do their homework and treat the diverse specialty market as such, not like a retailer.
    Good ideas...Hope they're listening
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

AND

Now this would work IMO. If Mattel could offer something like this that also kept the shipping prices at the 2008-2012 rate I would be happy to pay a membership fee. This way Mattel and DR make the profit they need but protect International customers from crazy customs charges every month! Very well thought out idea Brian.....Lets see if TG & Mattel can be flexable enough to implement something like this to tempt the international fans back into the subscription. Sadly TG does not seem open to any of the suggestions given...its sub or die. His attitude of "My way or the high way" has done more damage then he realises, over the years it has seriously upset people...something we have very recently seen with his responce to many fan complaints about Netossa's missing face mask. Hopefully his ego and pride will not stop him from really thinking about what you have sugested here, this really could be a way foward for International fans.
    Last edited by Angel-T; July 21, 2012 at 12:55am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I apologize for my previous post here. I was typing it on my phone and then it stopped responding and cut off.

I don't know about shipping and fees. But what I do know is that this needs to be brought to the attention of Mattel. We know things might not change, but we don't know until we try. If you are a true fan of He-man and She-ra, then you all know they never gave up. Post here and at the Matty website and ask for help. Let them know that you want to subscribe, but you guys want help because of the high shipping and import fees. Maybe Mattel can do something. I don't know, but its worth a try if you want to fight for He-man and She-ra.

Don't give up on your heroes. They wouldn't give up on you.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

AND

Great ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    I apologize for my previous post here. I was typing it on my phone and then it stopped responding and cut off.

I don't know about shipping and fees. But what I do know is that this needs to be brought to the attention of Mattel. We know things might not change, but we don't know until we try. If you are a true fan of He-man and She-ra, then you all know they never gave up. Post here and at the Matty website and ask for help. Let them know that you want to subscribe, but you guys want help because of the high shipping and import fees. Maybe Mattel can do something. I don't know, but its worth a try if you want to fight for He-man and She-ra.

Don't give up on your heroes. They wouldn't give up on you.

Dude, people are making their voices heard in droves. TG knows the bind the international fans are in. People have posted numerous suggestions on the Matty boards and he's even responded with the same typical responses: that their hands are essentially tied.

All our pleas are falling on deaf ears. It's an unfortunate reality. But, if Mattel/TG isn't willing to listen, then they shouldn't be crying the blues about the sub not selling enough. I mean, frig...we fans area actually trying to work with them to come up with some solution so we can keep buying their toys. If that's not dedication, I don't know what is.

Great suggestions bcrduke!
    Quaterly or half-year shipping might help. I am surprised this is not an option!
    I know that in the beginning not many fans used it but now price is increased and this requires some actions to be done: allow flexibility and this requires he 'My subscription' site to be functional! Offer quaterly or half-year shipping!

I do not believe that there is not a solution to this situation!

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
    Dude, people are making their voices heard in droves. TG knows the bind the international fans are in. People have posted numerous suggestions on the Matty boards and he's even responded with the same typical responses: that their hands are essentially tied.

All our pleas are falling on deaf ears. It's an unfortunate reality. But, if Mattel/TG isn't willing to listen, then they shouldn't be crying the blues about the sub not selling enough. I mean, frig...we fans area actually trying to work with them to come up with some solution so we can keep buying their toys. If that's not dedication, I don't know what is.
    And my reply is to keep posting. Post here and on the Matty forums. Do your heroes give up so easily? Let's find a way.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

And my reply is to keep posting. Post here and on the Matty forums. Do your heroes give up so easily? Let's find a way.
    I appreciate your optimism. Hopefully, Matty/TG truly listens.

Quaterly or half-year shipping options don't solve the customs problem. It just makes it worse because you end paying more VAT and customs taxes. I wrote a post on this thread that everybody must have ignored or something...

Matty knows upfront how much we are paying for the entire sub + shipping. If they split that value in 12 monthly payments it might be under $50 and if they declare that value for each package (independently of the number of figures shipped in one month) that passes right bellow the customs "radar".
    :: Odrakir ::

My Feedback Thread

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    The thresholds for customs fee (VAT) in the UK is £15/$23. Anything valued above $23 will get charged. If the item is marked as a 'gift' the theshold is £40/$62. Anything valued over $62 and marked as a gift will also receive customs fees. In both cases the fee is 20% of item value and shipping value plus handling fee.
    Balthus Dire is right. Mark the shipping as "20$ USED TOYS" (including shipping fees) and you will have very high chances to be be not charge of VAT taxes. Anyway, VAT apart, the real deal is saving money on shipping fees. That would reduce the final cost of each figure to a really tolerable value.

But you, blackiecats, have pointed the right issue: who's gonna risk buying subs and then maybe stuck with the figures? And overall for free, without asking one cent for his/her service? Maybe the answer is "a saint".

Widget
    This is the best possible solution I've read so far! This could and would work.
    Unfortunately TG seems to be deaf when it comes to suggestions to help international customers.

I'm just thinking outside the box here, but maybe Mattel could build an airship? Sort of like the Oscar Mayer Weinermobile, but that flies. Then Scott can dress up like Spector once a month and deliver the figures like Santa Claus in his flying airship to international customers. We can leave our chimneys open and milk and cookies out for Scott as he makes his rounds.

Heroic Warrior
    IF Mattel REALLY wanted to increase their international customers' sub purchases, they would :

1) Guarantee that once you ordered your figure, you actually do receive it or get a refund (but we all know they did exactly the contrary)

2) Open at least another e-store (one that works properly and that is functional, unlike DR's) for the sale of MOTUC to international fans and customers (but they repeatedly found lame excuses not to do that).

I have to agree wholeheartedly:- If this option became available, I would 100% sign up for a sub. I hope someone is listening, because if they could somehow implement this, it would mean that they wouldn't be losing a large part of their customer base.

Our heros don't exist so.....no, yes, I dunno? Though if they did exist i'm sure they would be busy fighting evil not worrying about toys lol.
    Anyway I've posted about this on the matty forums in the past too and got little response from anyone at matty.