Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: International Issues - MOTUC Subscriptions

I am not sure why TG has to justify every answer he makes. Even if he gave you more info your not going to believe it. I have read all the suggestions and every one of them does have a flaw or two.

Quarterly Shipping – To warehouse and manage these items takes resources. Everything that Mattel does in relation to this subscription is contracted out. To change terms and warehouse and inventory all this extra stock is going to cost money. Who is gonna foot that bill?

Guarantee Lost Figures - I have said it before but I am shocked that if you choose the cheapest shipping method and something gets lost, that you expect Mattel to come good for it. We make the decision to cheap out on shipping and we all know what the risks are to get the stuff to us with no tracking.

Member Fee – Technically, even though you pay the upfront membership fee the actual cost of that figure is $25.00. By law, that is what DR would have to place on the package. To declare a lower value or declare it as a gift is a federal offense. Just as an FYI, individuals sending stuff overseas or to peeps like me in Canada, can also mark the package “Canadian Goods Returned” or UK Goods Returned”. A parcel like this is assumed to have been taxes/duty paid, and you won't get charged.

And then we have the greatest wet blanket of all...Digital River. They have proven they can't handle the current process very well, and you want to give them MORE ways to screw up?

Am I upset prices are going up? Yes, but then I am just a cheap bugger to start with. With everything there comes a time when prices get to a point I am not willing to pay. I no longer collect Star Wars, G.I. Joe or Transformers due to higher costs and a never ending stream of product. No longer will I pay $10.00 for a Luke Skywalker in his jedi outfit. One of the other 25 they made in prior years will just have to do.

That's kinda the catch for me, too, though: I'd eat $28 for a figure I otherwise wouldn't have bought like Snake MAA or whatever, but I don't think I can swallow a figure like that at $40. Personally, if I didn't have the 2012 sub I probably would've passed on Griffin, Snake MAA, Dekker, and Procrustus. That's, what...$120-ish in 2012 prices?

If 2013 were to have that many figures I would be "meh" on, it would be closer to $190, right? And that's without customs? Bleh.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    I am not sure why TG has to justify every answer he makes. Even if he gave you more info your not going to believe it. I have read all the suggestions and every one of them does have a flaw or two.

Quarterly Shipping – To warehouse and manage these items takes resources. Everything that Mattel does in relation to this subscription is contracted out. To change terms and warehouse and inventory all this extra stock is going to cost money. Who is gonna foot that bill?
    If there wasn't stock kept in reserve, this would be a valid point, but the fact that there is just means a slight alteration to the existing structure as opposed to additional contracting of resources - making said additional costs minimal if even discernible. Furthermore the vast bulk of stocktaking is going to be computerised and automated anyway, making managing costs negligible. In fact the only issue here is warehousing and supposedly, MAtty has just recently invested in a MASSIVE international warehouse, which is where the stock would be located anyway. In short, completely and utterly moot point.

Guarantee Lost Figures - I have said it before but I am shocked that if you choose the cheapest shipping method and something gets lost, that you expect Mattel to come good for it. We make the decision to cheap out on shipping and we all know what the risks are to get the stuff to us with no tracking.
    Then again, the flip side of that is Matty making DHL viable as an alternative (which they're not currently doing). In fact if they go with loot drops, it almost gets to a point of being even cheaper than what a single figure costs to ship now.

Member Fee – Technically, even though you pay the upfront membership fee the actual cost of that figure is $25.00. By law, that is what DR would have to place on the package. To declare a lower value or declare it as a gift is a federal offense. Just as an FYI, individuals sending stuff overseas or to peeps like me in Canada, can also mark the package “Canadian Goods Returned” or UK Goods Returned”. A parcel like this is assumed to have been taxes/duty paid, and you won't get charged.
    Again, I think this is more a case of big gripes being left unanswered so the smaller gripes become more noticeable. I strongly suspect that if TG and Matty can get bulk shipping sorted out that alot of the smaller gripes would become far more tolerable.

And then we have the greatest wet blanket of all...Digital River. They have proven they can't handle the current process very well, and you want to give them MORE ways to screw up?
    And if things are being shipped out via DHL, then by their own admission, the cost of every single screw-up falls squarely on them.

Am I upset prices are going up? Yes, but then I am just a cheap bugger to start with. With everything there comes a time when prices get to a point I am not willing to pay. I no longer collect Star Wars, G.I. Joe or Transformers due to higher costs and a never ending stream of product. No longer will I pay $10.00 for a Luke Skywalker in his jedi outfit. One of the other 25 they made in prior years will just have to do.
    But then why shouldn't people want to find a way to make things work before giving up on a line? That's what you seem to be missing here.

I'm not missing anything bowspearer, I am just not gonna make this whole thing Mattel's fault. No matter where these are stored it takes resources to manage and keep track of. Computers don't run themsleves. Boxes don't scan themsleves. Product is not reorganized by itself. There is a huge difference between keeping a few cases of essentials or CS stock than there is massive ammounts of paid for stuff waiting to be sent. I've busted my butt in warehouses long enough to know that to run one costs money even if stuff just sits there. That is why just about every large company runs on the JIT philosphy.

Shipping prices go up. Governments are cracking down on collecting duty. Product prices go up. At some point we have to stop laying blame on other peoples feet and ask whether it is a viable option to continue collecting this line.

Quote Originally Posted by mondasian View Post
    It's the UK customs. The prices of the figures and postage going up isn't good, but it is bearable. However with that the likelihood is every item we purchase will get a customs charge, which then puts the price overall far to high to justify.
    Agreed,the UK customs is a nightmare the last time i had to pay a customs charge was back in January/February for the Star Sisters,$60 plus shipping and then a charge for £22 drops through the door.

International Fans that are skeptical about buying a 2013 sub, please see my marketplace thread.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...14#post3079914
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not missing anything bowspearer, I am just not gonna make this whole thing Mattel's fault. No matter where these are stored it takes resources to manage and keep track of. Computers don't run themsleves. Boxes don't scan themsleves. Product is not reorganized by itself. There is a huge difference between keeping a few cases of essentials or CS stock than there is massive ammounts of paid for stuff waiting to be sent. I've busted my butt in warehouses long enough to know that to run one costs money even if stuff just sits there. That is why just about every large company runs on the JIT philosphy.

Shipping prices go up. Governments are cracking down on collecting duty. Product prices go up. At some point we have to stop laying blame on other peoples feet and ask whether it is a viable option to continue collecting this line.
    And yet at the same time it's in Mattel's interests to make the line viable for international fans. Furthermore there are constant claims that international fans make up such a small fraction of Mattel's sales that if that's the case then the resources required would be negligable. Alternately they're large enough that it's too significant a factor to ignore.

You talk about fans laying this at the feet of others however you've conveniently ignored TG laying the responsibility for the line on fans. As such it's only fair for those of us who were international fans to turn around and expect Mattel to meet us half way - that's the way sales and marketing works. Seriously, some people need to get this into their heads: Mattel are not your friends, they are not loyal to you and they do not know you from a bar of soap. They are a business and as such, only care about money. As such treating them like a business as a consumer and throwing the survival of the line back on them by raising objections before voting with my wallet, is simply consumer economics.

I, International Collector.

I'm an International MOTUC collector since 2009. I didn't begin collecting when the line started in 2008 because I simply didn't know about it. I start collecting with the release of the second edition He-Man, then I got Skeletor and I was hooked. I knew I had to get this line, not only for the nostalgia factor it brought back, but also for how great the figures were. So I continued my collection, buying from Matty (in the old days when there was no sub, only the RSOD and later WSOD), and trying to keep up to date with the collection buying from eBay and He-Man.org members. After the subs were implemented I always subscribed at day one. Even with all the DR problems, even with all the QC issues, even with all the extra custom taxes I had to pay, I never gave up, even running the risk of ruining things in my personal life. I love this line, I committed until the end of 2012 and after that this line is dead for me.

Many members, US or International, each have their own reasons for not buying a sub. For some it's the lack of figures from their favourite faction, for other's it's the price hike, others even are just ****** off because they don't like the 2013 line up. I'm a completist, I have all the figures, some I like more, others that I like less, still in their own way, they are all awesome… still, I won't buy a sub in 2013.

I don't mind the price hike of the figures, that's plain economics, everything is collapsing and prices are going up on all areas. I don't mind not knowing what figures are coming because I trust the 4HM and by now, the prices are set in the sub page, so I know more or less how much I would be paying and what kind of figures are coming.

I won't buy a sub because I'm suddenly being treated like a thief by the brand that I've been supporting all these years. For Mattel, I'm part of a minority, at least it's what Scott's being telling us the past 4 or so years. I'm part of a minority that can't have a shipping solution that protects the customer. In 2013, the cheapest shipping option doesn't guarantee that you get your figures and even if you get your figures with a defect, you can't have a replacement / refund. To me this is a brand telling it's customer that it doesn't trust him, but the irony is that this scenario has happend countless times in reverse. How many collectors never got the figures they payed for? How many collectors got broken figures that never got replaced. Just for a quick example, when Demo Man was announced with the Skeletor Alcalla head, I bought one in the moment. I got a refurbished figure. The head had the worse paint job I even seen, the swords were all messed up, it even had a rubber band inside the neck peg so it wouldn't bobble. I kept it. I choose to keep a figure with some defects than to claim a new one, because I knew the process would be long a bureucratic. Even now, that I'm still waiting for last month sub figures, that might be lost somewhere between here and nowhere, when I complained, I got a mail from Matty/DR saying that it can take up to six months to arrive. SIX MONTHS? It used to be 21 days and suddenly it's now six months, next year you might not even get it! So, for Mattel I guess it's ok to lie and scam a customer if he or she is part of a minority?

Right now we have Scott with promises and pleas for everyone to buy a sub. The point is, Scott, how about the minority? How many are we? And don't answer me that you don't know numbers from your head, that ok, but I'm not idle chatting with you. Access your ERP and tell us how many we are and most of all, what will you do to get our money, because the way things are right now, the way I see it, there are only two scenarios: you get a way for internationals to buy subs or MOTUC dies in 2013, this if you're not bluffing like you did countless times during these years. "We can't because it's logistics, it's legal, it's design…" the true collectors of this line know these excuses by heart, but now, if you are really telling the true about the sub, it's game over, your credits for excuses are zero.

Scott, sorry for my animosity towards you, but I feel betrayed by Mattel, specially by you. I won't support a line where I don't have any guarantee that I'm getting what I'm playing for, and don't tell me to get DHL because it's simply ridiculous to pay more for shipping than for a figure, and I'm not even counting on the custom taxes I have to pay.

6/8 is coming and there's still no sign of an effort from you towards international collectors. Prove me wrong Scott. Prove me that you actually care about all your customers.
    :: Odrakir ::

My Feedback Thread

Well said, man !!!
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I think most international fans are now priced out I've looked into buying from BBTS (with Pile of Loot) and even pre-ordered Netossa and Fangman, but after doing the math I'm looking at around £43 per figure (double the 2012 prices) Buying from Matty direct (sale days) would be about £40 per figure with the cheaper shipping (but no guaratee or replacement)

I'm a cherry picker and I think even I'm out If the line does somehow continue, I'll buy Scorpia, Madame Razz and Glimmer for sure. Anything else at these high prices is highly unlikely I'll keep my BBTS pre-orders for now just incase my circumstances change by January 2013...
    8 figures I still need: 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Filmation Tung Lashor, 6/Saurod, 5/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 4/Peekablue, 3/Hunga the Harpy, 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

Isn't there a big European reseller like BBTS? Sounds like this is a good opportunity for an enterprising businessman.
    Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!

I can budget out for the higher prices and shipping BUT its so not worth it for figures I dont want, like all the POP figures. This year I had shell out $70 for the STUPID Star Sisters and next year I would have to pay for Netossa and whatever other's get released and at $40+ I just cant part with my hard earned money. Had shipping cost stayed the same I might have bought next year's sub or unless I can fing a POP cherrypicker to take them off my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by omee View Post
    I can budget out for the higher prices and shipping BUT its so not worth it for figures I dont want, like all the POP figures. This year I had shell out $70 for the STUPID Star Sisters and next year I would have to pay for Netossa and whatever other's get released and at $40+ I just cant part with my hard earned money. Had shipping cost stayed the same I might have bought next year's sub or unless I can fing a POP cherrypicker to take them off my hand.
    Well I'd buy every POP and Filmation figure from you for sure. However it would depend on the price you'd want for them...
    8 figures I still need: 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Filmation Tung Lashor, 6/Saurod, 5/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 4/Peekablue, 3/Hunga the Harpy, 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

Odrakir: if you haven't already, I'd post that on Matty's forums. TG might read it then.

TBH, I just had my finger on the trigger to buy the sub today. I'd budgeted it all out and decided I'd rather chance customs charges etc. from Matty than pay the (IMO) insane BBTS-style aftermarket prices.

Then, I read about how Mattel won't even replace defective/broken figures if you pick the cheap shipping option. That just totally killed it for me. I'm willing to chance lost packages (since I've never had one before from Matty) but broken or defective figures I just can't risk, man. With all the insane QC problems this line has had, it just doesn't make sense.

They really stuck it to us international folks.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Isn't there a big European reseller like BBTS? Sounds like this is a good opportunity for an enterprising businessman.
    A reseller would just about pay what we'd pay to import them and they would need to mark them up to make a profit, so I doubt a European reseller would be any cheaper than a US based reseller

Sounds like we need to speak to our governments about customs fee, taxes and the like.

Sounds like we need to speak to our governments about customs fee, taxes and the like.
    Yep. A UK reseller would pay the same customs fees as myself (though buying in bulk he would save some $$$ on shipping. However he'd mark up the items to make a profit, so overall the UK reseller price plus UK shipping vs the US reseller with lower figure price, but higher Airmail shipping price would likely be around the same (UK seller might be slightly more depending on the UK sellers mark up price)

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Well I'd buy every POP and Filmation figure from you for sure. However it would depend on the price you'd want for them...
    I would only want what I paid for them ($25 + shipping). No scalping here

Quote Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
    Odrakir: if you haven't already, I'd post that on Matty's forums. TG might read it then.

TBH, I just had my finger on the trigger to buy the sub today. I'd budgeted it all out and decided I'd rather chance customs charges etc. from Matty than pay the (IMO) insane BBTS-style aftermarket prices.

Then, I read about how Mattel won't even replace defective/broken figures if you pick the cheap shipping option. That just totally killed it for me. I'm willing to chance lost packages (since I've never had one before from Matty) but broken or defective figures I just can't risk, man. With all the insane QC problems this line has had, it just doesn't make sense.

They really stuck it to us international folks.
    Just posted in the Ask Matty Forum, but I'm sure it will be ignored or deleted.

My Feedback Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    International Fans that are skeptical about buying a 2013 sub, please see my marketplace thread.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...14#post3079914
    Repost for you my friend since we need more solutions!

Widget
    we need more solutions!
    I could live with everthing that's going wrong with MOTUC. But what keeps me from buying a sub is the new "no refund/replacement policy" with the cheapest shipping option.

So my solution would be:
    - For packages that get lost: offer 1 replacement a year
    - No matter what shipping option you choose, if a figure is defective you can get a replacement!

TG answered my post with a more or less canned reply - http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/5691024867

My Feedback Thread

Go back to $8.95 Canada shipping and I'll buy a sub.
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.

The only issue i have is the no replacement for lost figures.
    I'm fine with the price increase and i am also fine with the shipping increase.
    I used to buy these figures from eBay before i subbed up and shipping to Australia from eBay sellers was around the $20 mark. Matty only wants to charge me $13.75 so it's better for me.
    I honestly cant believe how many people are complaining, we are only talking about $5 more per figure per month, and for me $3.75 more fore shipping per month, and its only for hopefully 2 more years.
    I already have my Sub for 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by atlas0413 View Post
    The only issue i have is the no replacement for lost figures.
    I'm fine with the price increase and i am also fine with the shipping increase.
    I used to buy these figures from eBay before i subbed up and shipping to Australia from eBay sellers was around the $20 mark. Matty only wants to charge me $13.75 so it's better for me.
    I honestly cant believe how many people are complaining, we are only talking about $5 more per figure per month, and for me $3.75 more fore shipping per month, and its only for hopefully 2 more years.
    I already have my Sub for 2013.
    Congrats dude! Glad to know you went forward with the sub.

I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina so I'm well aware of how though it's collecting for foreign fans and dealing with shipping problems (let's be honest the problems can be there when you buy from Matty or Ebay or whoever). I have two subs for 2012 (one with the cheaper shpping option and the other with UPS). In my experience, buying an item with a shipping option that offers a tracking number it's worth every penny and in the end you compensate the higher price by effectively receiving waht you have purchased.

Here in Argentina, Custom's taxes could reach up to 50% of the declared value of the item but the thing is that the only way to retrieve an item from Customs is if you have a tracking number for the package. For the record, this apply for every item which value surpass $30, therefore when I buy on Ebay or Matty or from anybody else abroad I always choose the shipping option that offers a tracking number. Regarding Club Eternia sub, the DHL option offered for 2013 is much cheaper than the UPS option offered for 2012.

Hope this helps others to decide to sub for 2013 and give MOTUC another chance although I understand your complain regarding Matty policy regarding defective products. Regarding this, I believe they have included "defective product" in the same bag with "lost product" or "broken product" and in the last two cases I agree with them not replacing the item if it was shipped with a no tracking option since they have been ripped off so many times.
    Last edited by Asher99; July 29, 2012 at 10:11pm.
    Offering $2,500 for MOC or AFA graded Teela, Zodac and Stratos 8 backs with "He-Man and the Power Sword" mini comic