Thread: Did anyone ever translate the Eternian language?

Did anyone ever translate the Eternian language?

Visting relatives this week and was giving some cousins copies of the motuc comics. They had a great time figuring out how to translate the Eterniana language I created and Axel drew. But it occurred to me, I don't ever recall a thread on this.

Did anyone crack the translation or is this just one of those things where enough time passed that who cares now. Totally just curious. One of those fun little bit that works it's way into the figures and comics over the years!

(The orb holder actually tells the secret history of the Power!)

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Visting relatives this week and was giving some cousins copies of the motuc comics. They had a great time figuring out how to translate the Eterniana language I created and Axel drew. But it occurred to me, I don't ever recall a thread on this.

Did anyone crack the translation or is this just one of those things where enough time passed that who cares now. Totally just curious. One of those fun little bit that works it's way into the figures and comics over the years!

Dammit Scooter, I for one don't recall anyone cracking the code. Please elaborate......

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Heroic Warrior
    I don't think anyone noticed, to be honest. But since you initiated the thread and told us it's a thing, please tell us about it. Sounds cool!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    I asked about the symbols on Orb toy-pedastule long ago atleast, which is when you referred that they told a story in its own language. Would like to know more on what the symbols represent and what story they tell.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

" Drink more Ovaltine"...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Did anyone ever translate the Eternian language?
    Well, I tried to translate the Eternian language once but at the end, I wound up in New York with blood on my knife and no idea how I got there...

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I would like to know more...
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

This would be interesting to know, start cracking that code.
    NO KAYO? NOT OKAY-O! Catch my pics on Instagram: countjudas FOR 2018: Kayo, Lizorr, Sagitar, Negator, Hunga the Harpy, Kol Darr, Catra cat form, Leo Faker, Anti Eternia MAA and Orko, Melog, Filmation Ram Man

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    I would like to know more...
    Keep reading the bios!

There is a giant rosette stone in issue 7. Honestly, i had always thought fans would have been all over this, but I guess in all the hubbub of the line ending it got lost. :-)

Heroic Master of Academia Streamside's Avatar
    I didn't get issue 7 until just recently and I haven't even read it... but this sounds like exactly something I would do - I translated the runes in the Hobbit when I was in 6th grade.

(...of course a year later I found an annotated version that had various systems of writing explained, but hey...)

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    There is a giant rosette stone in issue 7.
    Trying to locate any frames with symbols present...

issue7-picA.jpg
    issue7-picB.jpg
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar

WTF?! Whatcha talkin' 'bout?!

There is NO Eternian language, there is ONLY English! Just like there is no Dana, there is only Zuul!

Everyone knows that every single species in the whole universe speaks the one true language. There is no other language in the whole Universe! Period.

That's why He-Man and friends can talk to Garth, and to the Horde and the Rebellion, and to Plundor and Gleedil, and to Tic-Toc and Zilora and everyone everywhere in space and time just fine, upon first ever meeting them!

Didn't you notice all of those English letters on Eternians' garments: H, O, G... Didn't you notice their names? How come Plasmar's armor had to be changed at the last minute due to his being rebaptized with a non-H-initial name? It was because that "<|=|>" symbol on He-Ro's armor was nothing but a good ol' H—and not two arrowheads pulling in opposite directions joined together as a symbol of harnessing the opposite powers of good and evil, what a crazy idea! It was not Eternia's kind-of yingyang symbol they put on there; it's a true—if stylized—English letter H for "He-Ro"! It's obvious, innit?

Trust me, everything is English on Eternia! Anything else is fake news! It's only those pesky foreigner Earthlings who insist on babbling nonsense, instead of truly speaking, that may make it seem like languages other than English might exist—but don't be fooled! It's just an illusion and their "bar! bar!" barbarian sounds don't actually mean anything—they're just faking it! They babble some nonsense sounds like "ah-wah" and whatnot, but in their mind they're just thinking water. And water is called water, naturally. It's obvious! How could anyone truly call water anything else than water? It would be ridiculous!

Okay, so now you've been enlightened with the truth. Do recant your abhorrent heresy at once, or perish forever in the deepest despair of Despondos!
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Hey Scott, are you talking about this?

Issue 08 - Page 2 (Eternian Glyphs).jpg

As many of you know, I didn't get to do the final art on issue #8, but I was able to do several pages layout. In panel 5 on page 2, can be seen the page of an ELDOR's book that HE-RO II is reading. There is a spell written in Eternian Glyphs created by Scott at the time, and there is a translation for that...

Quote Originally Posted by AXOR View Post
    Hey Scott, are you talking about this?

Issue 08 - Page 2 (Eternian Glyphs).jpg

As many of you know, I didn't get to do the final art on issue #8, but I was able to do several pages layout. In panel 5 on page 2, can be seen the page of an ELDOR's book that HE-RO II is reading. There is a spell written in Eternian Glyphs created by Scott at the time, and there is a translation for that...
    Those are just Visitor glyphs, or somesuch. And they're just a cipher for English, of course!

There is no Eterniana language, there is only Zuuuuulll!!!

Repent from your linguistic heresy... or perish!
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Spell of Memorization?

Literal version:

SPELL OF
    MEMORIZATION

IMPROVE MEMORY
    AND INCRESE SPELL
    CASTING WITH
    THIS SIMPLE AND
    OFTEN UNUSED SPELL

START BY ?AISING
    YOUR STAFF
    ABOVE YOUR HEAD
    AND CHANT THE STANDARD
    SPELL START
    FOL?OW BY FOUR
    TWISVS TO
    THE RIGHT AND

Cleaned up version:

SPELL OF
    MEMORIZATION

IMPROVE MEMORY
    AND [INCREASE] SPELL
    CASTING WITH
    THIS SIMPLE AND
    OFTEN UNUSED SPELL.

START BY [RAISING]
    YOUR STAFF
    ABOVE YOUR HEAD
    AND [CHANTING] THE STANDARD
    SPELL START
    [FOLLOWED] BY FOUR
    [TWISTS] TO
    THE RIGHT AND...
    Last edited by ShadowBeast; April 18, 2017 at 01:32pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Awesome! Is there a translation of the orb pedestal? Mine is in storage...

I've worked up a translation, but I'm still searching for letters J, K, Q, and X.

Running the glyphs on the orb's pedestal gives me nothing so far, and there are three I can't decipher on it yet, which I imagine translate as one of these letters not used in the Spell of Memorization from Eldor's Book of Living Spells.

I'll keep working at it, but any help would be hot, Scooter. Is the history of the Power told through an anagram?

I've got one side of the pedestal as (from top to bottom): U, B, (?), O
    Then.............................................. ........................: F,T, C, P (I think?)
    And then.............................................. ...................: M, W, G, (?)
    And on the remaining side..........................................: H, I, (?), L

Of course, I could be starting in the wrong place, it could be scrambled (weird), it could be an anagram, it could be left to right or right to left, it could be bottom-up, or I could have mis-translated something.
    Last edited by Uki; May 10, 2017 at 11:27am.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I've worked up a translation, but I'm still searching for letters J, K, Q, and X.

Running the glyphs on the orb's pedestal gives me nothing so far, and there are three I can't decipher on it yet, which I imagine translate as one of these letters not used in the Spell of Memorization from Eldor's Book of Living Spells.

I'll keep working at it, but any help would be hot, Scooter. Is the history of the Power told through an anagram?

I've got one side of the pedestal as (from top to bottom): U, B, (?), O
    Then.............................................. ........................: F,T, C, P (I think?)
    And then.............................................. ...................: M, W, G, (?)
    And on the remaining side..........................................: H, I, (?), L

Of course, I could be starting in the wrong place, it could be scrambled (weird), it could be an anagram, it could be left to right or right to left, it could be bottom-up, or I could have mis-translated something.
    Now seriously, why do people in this thread keep using the word "translate"?

I think it's pretty clear that there is no actual language to "translate" here, but just a more or less clever cipher for English to be deciphered (not "translated"). It's just English written differently—it's not like we're talking about a Quenya or a Klingon or a Na'vi of the MotUverse.

As I understand it (and other people's comments about the "translation" here seem to confirm), TG made no conlinguistic effort whatsoever, beyond coming up with what looks like a Visitor-script inspired reencoding of English orthography. (Note that Visitor script itself, as used on the vintage show, was just a cipher for English; there was no actual Visitor language created beyond some few isolated words like "pretenama".)

He could just have gone with Shavian (and probably that would have been more interesting, since Shavian, in and of itself, has interesting qualities as an alternative orthography for English that go much further than just some clever scheme to reencode Latin-script spellings using a different set of glyphs).

I'm just going to avoid the semantic argument, leave this here (borrowed from Merriam-Webster):

"1
    a : to turn into one's own or another language
    b : to transfer or turn from one set of symbols into another : transcribe
    c (1) : to express in different terms and especially different words : paraphrase (2) : to express in more comprehensible terms : explain, interpret"

...and carry on.
    If you'd like to contribute anything toward "decoding" the cypher, have at it!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy