Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nickelodeon TMNT Figure Reviews by Pixel Dan

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar

Nickelodeon TMNT Figure Reviews by Pixel Dan

Hey guys,

I finally started cranking out review videos for the new TMNT toys! I figured I'd just create one catch-all thread here for all of the new Nick TMNT toy videos I do.

Last edited by Pixel Dan; September 5, 2012 at 05:50pm.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Love these guys. I don't plan to buy more than the Turtles but they are very cool.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

People need to start clamoring for a painted weapons pack. Come on, guys!
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

I think that this toyline is the best thing that happened in toys this decade so far. I don't count MOTUC because it started in 2008.
    Μπιστ Μαν, ανόητε τριχομούρη!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    People need to start clamoring for a painted weapons pack. Come on, guys!
    Painted weapons would be great! Especially seeing how they originally were going to be painted, per my NY Toy Fair version of Mikey. But I find that the unpainted weapons don't really bother me all that much.

But if Playmates found a way to start painting them, I'd be happy!

I like that they come with unpainted weapons. It's old school. But it would be fantastic if we got a weapons pack with some painted weapons in it. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    I haven't been really big in to Turtles for about 15 years at least, but I've gotta say, I absolutely love the way these guys look. Even though the Classics are based on the ones I grew up with, I think I like these even more. I would even go so far as to say they are visually my farorite incarnation ever. My ONE complaint is that my favorite turtle, Raph, seems to be a really wonky shade of green. I get they're all a slightly different shade, but he's just..... too much. As far as the non-turtles in the line, though, I seemingly recall not liking them.

I'm gonna check out these videos during my lunch hour, Dan!

Edit: Holy crap. The advertisement that preceded the video was the flea killing one where the little green ninjas go around killing fleas. It's like kismet or something!
    Last edited by Sword2Blanket; July 26, 2012 at 02:05pm.

I agree. That made him a little too dark. I would have preferred a lighter shade; he doesn't fit in that well with the other three turtles.

I don't really mind the dark green. But I think Leo's skin color is perfect. He's my favorite looking of the bunch. All of his colors just seem to gel together so well.

I agree. That's the ideal color.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Decent reviews this time Dan, but it really sounds like you're in a glamor spell over these being new TMNT figures because you didn't list anything negative about them.

For me, the articulation is hindered by a couple of things. The elbow pads on their arms are molded in place with the twisting joint mistakenly being put underneath at the elbow joint. Because of this, you can't get their arms to be flush with their sides (the bulkiness of the pads hit the large shells on their backs and blocks you from that movement) and it hides how cool the elbow pads actually look by keeping them facing behind the turtles.

Next, the elbow joints don't have enough range and really limit you on getting arm poses in front of the bodies (you're basically stuck with holding things to the side). At best it looks like they give you a range of 45 degrees/7 o'clock position, when they should be 90 degrees/9 o'clock positioned. The legs gives you more back and forth motion, but they're still all messed up. Like with the elbow pads, the knee pads are molded so that they can't rotate without you twisting the entire the leg itself at the hip. To get a sitting position or a split legged position requires you to twist the legs at the hip, then move the leg in the one direction allowed, which feels real awkward; a ball joint really should have been used here. It just looks weird to see the knee pads facing opposite directions when I want to get someone in a kicking pose, and then having to twist the feet around to balance the figure while standing on one leg. It looks really clumsy.

Lastly is the weapons. Mikey's lack of real chain and stressed out plastic when bending his nunchucks is one thing. But Donnie's bow staff is a little too short and should have been longer. Again, with the lack of articulation in the arms and elbows, he basically holds the bo at the very end tips. Leonard has a production (maybe design?) flaw where his belt doesn't quit fit inside of his waist. It looks like it's caused by the strap around his shoulder being molded too high around the shell. Combine that with the fact that the belts are glued on, and you'll never be able to get Leo's belt fit snug in the waist gap.

These are great figures, but they're not perfect and I've seen you (Dan) bring up flaws for a lot more minor stuff with your MOTUC reviews. There were even a few more differences between your NYTF Mikey and the final mass produced version, but you still skipped over them
    Last edited by The.Idea.of.Evil; July 26, 2012 at 04:39pm.

It is up to P.D. to give some of us a reason to buy Splinter. I hate him and Kraang. If Dan can't make me want Splinter, no one can.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    It is up to P.D. to give some of us a reason to buy Splinter. I hate him and Kraang. If Dan can't make me want Splinter, no one can.
    I had every figure (except for April) paid for and in my home last week. When I was able to take a better look at them in the packaging, I returned every single one because of how lousy they looked. Even if Dan convinces you, I'd still take the time to inspect them in their packaging before dedicating to the purchase

I initially returned Shredder and April, but then I bought them again. What can I say, collectors are kind of eccentric people

Also, you should find out if the metal nunchucks from the Classics line will fit in their hands. Then you won't have to worry about stress marks.

As far as the staff, doesn't seem like a big deal. You can probably make a custom staff that is more impressive in just a few minutes.

I guess I didn't feel the need to complain about the articulation becuase it didn't bother me. I wasn't upset with it. I was more impressed with it more than anything, becuase for TMNT figures it's really well done. Also, these are more the "kids" line than the "collectors" line, so in that aspect I think the articulation is very well done.

I'm a little harder on the Classics. You'll see that when I post the video. I'm not a fan of their finger or toe articulation.

Same with the weapons...the short bo staff doesn't bother me at all, so I can't list that as a negative. It's a negative to you, but not to me.

I don't know if I'll be able to convince anyone to buy Splinter. Serious lack of articulation and weird design/paint deco on that one. Shredder is cool looking, but all of the articulation in his upper body becomes compeltely useless because of the lack of articulation in his lower body.

I should hopefully be getting a bunch more of these videos online this evening so you can see my opinoins on them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I don't know if I'll be able to convince anyone to buy Splinter. Serious lack of articulation and weird design/paint deco on that one. Shredder is cool looking, but all of the articulation in his upper body becomes compeltely useless because of the lack of articulation in his lower body.

I don't think so either, but I still remain hopeful

I think I might pick him up anyway. I'll just pretend he's a different character. I'll go after a movie star Splinter so I can have a complete team

Just updated the main post with my Shredder review! Kraang will be up shortly!

He did have some competition there for a while, but Kraang has emerged as my least favorite figure in this line. I hate him. It's the most generic and cheapest looking robot I have ever seen. And the battle pose is not acceptable. No way I'm paying $9 just to get that small brain creature.

Dan, what is your feeling about the future of the classics? Do you believe it's just a one-off? I really hope not...
    Μπιστ Μαν, ανόητε τριχομούρη!

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    I went back and watched the Shredder and Kraang videos after you posted them the other day. I didn't really know much about these coming into the videos other than I didn't really care for the way they looked. I was shocked when you pointed out Shredder had no articulation below the hip. No knee articulation at least?! How can they make a figure like that today? Then we get to Kraang with his 1980's Secret Wars articulation... Wow, what a garbage figure that is.

On a side note: When you had all your Shredders together I thought to myself, "How is it possible that they haven't done Shredder right in 25 years?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    On a side note: When you had all your Shredders together I thought to myself, "How is it possible that they haven't done Shredder right in 25 years?"
    THANK YOU!!! it bugs the HELL out of me, he's a great looking character that's NEVER gotten a good figure EXCEPT for the NECA one that never came out! I've been disappointed in all Hulk figures too but that's another story.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

The Shellraiser gets a review!

I just saw the monstrous playset at TRU... That may be the coolest playset I have ever seen! I don't own any ninja turtles, but that playset has convinced me that my sons need it
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    I notice you haven't done a review of April yet. Can you not find her or have you just not finished filming it?

(I've seen plenty around here if you need help finding one)
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction View Post
    I notice you haven't done a review of April yet. Can you not find her or have you just not finished filming it?

(I've seen plenty around here if you need help finding one)
    Yeah, I haven't come across April yet. But my Wal-Marts are finally makign space for TMNT in their toy aisles, so I'm hoping to come across one soon. Thanks!