Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TMNT Classic Collection Video Review by Pixel Dan

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar

TMNT Classic Collection Video Review by Pixel Dan

Hey guys,

Here's my review of the new TMNT Classic Collection figures! I went ahead and did all four turtles as one long video. I felt since they share bodies, it would be a bit redundant to make this four separate videos.

They have their flaws, but I'm still pretty happy with these. And I really hope we get more than just the turtles!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Excellent review! Yea, the Classics I have show Leo and Mikey with good eyes with Donnie and Raph wonked out. I'll try to do a shop and swap with them when I find the figures on the shelves and hopefully the latter with properly painted eyes.

Can you do us fans a favor? All of us have been wondering what Mikey's Classic nunchucks would look like in the 2012 Mikey's hands. Can you take some pics to see how they would look to even see if they would fit in the 2012 versions hands and belt holster? And just for me, how would Donnie's bo staff look on the 2012's figure?

Thanks!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I'm just not feeling them. I guess that is not a bad thing since I don't need to collect another line. I wish they would do the original B&W comic versions though.

The fact that the stands include two pegs for the feet is awesome though. I never understood why Mattel insisted on doing one peg per figure (especially on the DCU stands) when a lot of figures cannot stay up with just one foot locked on the peg.
    Last edited by Dr Kain; July 27, 2012 at 01:42am.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    Great review, Dan!
    I've really been wanting to get these, but I'm waiting to get them in a store, so I can check out the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    Excellent review! Yea, the Classics I have show Leo and Mikey with good eyes with Donnie and Raph wonked out. I'll try to do a shop and swap with them when I find the figures on the shelves and hopefully the latter with properly painted eyes.

Can you do us fans a favor? All of us have been wondering what Mikey's Classic nunchucks would look like in the 2012 Mikey's hands. Can you take some pics to see how they would look to even see if they would fit in the 2012 versions hands and belt holster? And just for me, how would Donnie's bo staff look on the 2012's figure?

Thanks!
    Thanks! Yeha, I'll take some pictures tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I wish they would do the original B&W comic versions though.
    NECA did a 4-pack of the B&W comic turtles. I have it and LOVE it!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    NECA did a 4-pack of the B&W comic turtles. I have it and LOVE it!
    I know they did, but I don't care for NECA that much. They never finish anything they start. Like I bought their first 5 Castlevania figures, and then that was it, that was all they released. I bought their two Legacy of Kain figures, and they never did anyone else. Same goes for God of War. There are all of these characters in the games and all they did was released multiple versions of Kratos. For TMNT, they releaesd the turtles and that was it. They teased and teased on April and Shredder, but then never released them, and honestly, TMNT is worthless without April, Shredder and Karai as far as I am concerned.

The other problem with NECA's figures are most of teh time they are just as fragile as DC Direct's and their paint aps are very sloppy.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I know they did, but I don't care for NECA that much. They never finish anything they start. Like I bought their first 5 Castlevania figures, and then that was it, that was all they released. I bought their two Legacy of Kain figures, and they never did anyone else. Same goes for God of War. There are all of these characters in the games and all they did was released multiple versions of Kratos. For TMNT, they releaesd the turtles and that was it. They teased and teased on April and Shredder, but then never released them, and honestly, TMNT is worthless without April, Shredder and Karai as far as I am concerned.

The other problem with NECA's figures are most of teh time they are just as fragile as DC Direct's and their paint aps are very sloppy.
    Oh yeah, you're preaching to the choir about NECA. To this day I still talk about how they really missed a huge opportunity with their God of War line. Multiple versions of Kratos and no other gods? *sigh*

April did get released, as did a Mouser 3-pack. But Shredder, the Foot Soldiers, and anything else got cancelled. And in this case, it was actually Playmates' fault. Playmates barred NECA from selling their TMNT figures at retail stores becuase they held the master license for TMNT. NECA claims that without retail support from places like TRU, they couldn't keep the line going. Really sad...that line feels so incomplete without that amazing Shredder they kept teasing us with.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    And in this case, it was actually Playmates' fault. Playmates barred NECA from selling their TMNT figures at retail stores becuase they held the master license for TMNT. NECA claims that without retail support from places like TRU, they couldn't keep the line going. Really sad...that line feels so incomplete without that amazing Shredder they kept teasing us with.
    Is that really Playmates fault that they were protecting their IP? Its because of things like that we have the massive amount of product for a line like this.

Yeah it sucks but I can't really fault Playmates given NECA's history with licenses.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

These do look pretty cool! I haven't bought any TMNT stuff since I was into the vintage line as a kid, but if I come across these at a store I think I'm gonna have to pick them up.

I really hope they make more than just the turtles too. I'd like to at least see the vintage wave 1 figures + Krang and Casey Jones. I doubt it would ever get much farther than that, most of the vintage figures had such unique sculpts they wouldn't be able to share as many parts as a line like MOTUC. But that would be so cool to see fly Baxter Stockman and the Rat King.
    Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders: Royalt1us, chrisbryan, AGE, UnemployedSkeletor, EwR-Disaster, Kero, jaggerart, Uki, skully, overlordofevil, Neo, He-Bruely, returnofplex, Jonny Tyler, Herewegoagain, lemure77, bigassbuzz. (if I've had a transaction with you and your not on this list, please remind me.)

Dan still hasn't taken those pictures =/

southern california...where the weather isn't all that hot...but the girls sure are :D
    Dan still hasn't taken those pictures =/
    Dan's a pretty busy man, so i thought i'd help him out some. Hope these work for ya...

AzB7COvCcAABI3f.jpg
    AzB7NgyCYAAgbi3.jpg
    AzB8AnuCEAEvQrk.jpg
    AzB8D44CEAAUzpX.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrPAYNE View Post
    These do look pretty cool! I haven't bought any TMNT stuff since I was into the vintage line as a kid, but if I come across these at a store I think I'm gonna have to pick them up.

I really hope they make more than just the turtles too. I'd like to at least see the vintage wave 1 figures + Krang and Casey Jones. I doubt it would ever get much farther than that, most of the vintage figures had such unique sculpts they wouldn't be able to share as many parts as a line like MOTUC. But that would be so cool to see fly Baxter Stockman and the Rat King.
    I asked Playmates directly. They said they are in discussion to do more classic figures BUT the sales and such of the Turtles will decide that. If they don't sell well, they aren't going to invest in other secondary sort of characters

Awesome! Thanks Opti =)

The nunchucks look pretty decent, but that bo staff looks a little ridiculous

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by optibotimus View Post
    Dan's a pretty busy man, so i thought i'd help him out some. Hope these work for ya...

AzB7COvCcAABI3f.jpg
    AzB7NgyCYAAgbi3.jpg
    AzB8AnuCEAEvQrk.jpg
    AzB8D44CEAAUzpX.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I asked Playmates directly. They said they are in discussion to do more classic figures BUT the sales and such of the Turtles will decide that. If they don't sell well, they aren't going to invest in other secondary sort of characters
    The 2 Bo Staff's that Donatello has there. which staff belongs to which figure? IS the larger Staff the Classics Donatello?
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Thanks for posting those pics, Paul! I really appreciate the help!

And sorry guys! I totally meant to get those pics posted. Things have been busy busy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    The 2 Bo Staff's that Donatello has there. which staff belongs to which figure? IS the larger Staff the Classics Donatello?
    Yes, the larger one goes with Classics Donatello.

Awesome! Thanks Opti =)

The nunchucks look pretty decent, but that bo staff looks a little ridiculous
    I think the chuks look OK, the chain is too long though for them to work with that scale Mikey. sigh the plastic chain SUCKS!!!!!!!! I'm going to try and customize mine, planning on buying chains and see if I can get some small eye screws today..going to fix donnie's 3 section staff too!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Thanks. I really want those chucks

I went and bought Kraang even though I hate him. Just to support the line. I'm really hoping a second wave is released around the holidays.

Good review Dan.

Unless you're BADLY desperate to own all these figures NOW, just cool your heels. They will be restocked everywhere, there's no need to support the scalpers for this early shipment..

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    My attitude before I saw Pixel Dan's video:

I have the NECA TMNT. It's so hard to even look at another TMNT line with those guys on my shelf, but at least the Playmates line might get some characters out there. I might wait until I see Wave 2. See what a Shredder, April or Bebop and Rocksteady look like.

I thought the reason NECA's TMNT line died was because the Eastman and Laird versions didn't do well overseas because they had the same colored masks? NECA unwisely chose April as the figure that would save the line during SDCC, if she was sufficiently pre-ordered, but fans passed on the blue version and were waiting on the yellow jumpsuited variant that was supposed to come out. April flopped and the line died.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

southern california...where the weather isn't all that hot...but the girls sure are :D
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    My attitude before I saw Pixel Dan's video:

I have the NECA TMNT. It's so hard to even look at another TMNT line with those guys on my shelf, but at least the Playmates line might get some characters out there. I might wait until I see Wave 2. See what a Shredder, April or Bebop and Rocksteady look like.

I thought the reason NECA's TMNT line died was because the Eastman and Laird versions didn't do well overseas because they had the same colored masks? NECA unwisely chose April as the figure that would save the line during SDCC, if she was sufficiently pre-ordered, but fans passed on the blue version and were waiting on the yellow jumpsuited variant that was supposed to come out. April flopped and the line died.
    From my understanding, the second group of NECA figures were made. However, retailers basically didn't buy them. So that very simply killed the line. Shredder and the (i believe two versions) Foot Soldiers were finalized, just never made it out because of the retalers.

Personlly, i think waiting to buy the classics to see what they do with other characters is a bad idea. These are toys about the Turtles. Not buying them in favor of waiting to see if they do others, is gonna send the wrong message imo. Plus they've said that no other figures will be made unless the Turtles themselves sell well. Not buying something now, hoping they make someone later else isn't the way to show support for something i don't think.

From my understanding, the second group of NECA figures were made. However, retailers basically didn't buy them. So that very simply killed the line. Shredder and the (i believe two versions) Foot Soldiers were finalized, just never made it out because of the retalers.
    Yeah, Randy Faulk told me at Toy Fair two years ago that Playmates barred them from selling their TMNT in retail stores such as Toys R Us, since Playmates holds the master license for TMNT. They were only allowed to sell at specialty shops and online. He said that is what hurt them the most, because they basically weren't making enough money to keep them going.

I remember the incident that MGM brought up as well. They were going to try to keep the line going at specialty shops and online, and released April as an SDCC excsluive and said if she sold well, they'd keep going. I always thought it was silly they chose April as the SDCC exclusive instead of Shredder. She's a great figure, don't get me wrong. But Shredder would have sold much better, imo.

It's sad that we'll never get those figures.

I still see the Blue April at some of the comic book stores around here, even at 50% off nobody wants to pick her up. Makes you wonder what would happen if they went with Shredder instead
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I still see the Blue April at some of the comic book stores around here, even at 50% off nobody wants to pick her up. Makes you wonder what would happen if they went with Shredder instead
    Or Foot Ninja. People would have brought multiples of them as army builders.

My attitude after seeing Dan's video:

Man, they made alot of varieties of TMNT over the years!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 30, 2012 at 01:58pm.

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Man, they made alot of varieties of TMNT over the years!
    Yeah I think its neat though, they have reinvented them quite a number of times but people never seem to tire of them. In your mind you don't realize how much they differ but then seeing the toys together its like WOW

- - - Updated - - -

And they won't know that till probably October after the line has officially launched, I am sure they don't want a situation similar to Thundercats. I just hope they vary any future waves, so that we are not left with waves full of obscure characters that stand a change at pegwarming and thus not selling.

I would rather have a Wave 2 with only 2 big names like Shredder, Bebop, April, Casey Jones, and a refresh of the 4 Turtles so they can get 3 or 4 waves out with fans still wanting them.

They have been doing 12 figures to a case, so they could do 2 sets of Turtles and then 2 of each other character and I think it would sell well.

Personlly, i think waiting to buy the classics to see what they do with other characters is a bad idea. These are toys about the Turtles. Not buying them in favor of waiting to see if they do others, is gonna send the wrong message imo. Plus they've said that no other figures will be made unless the Turtles themselves sell well. Not buying something now, hoping they make someone later else isn't the way to show support for something i don't think.
    Sometimes you want to see characters other than the obvious Wave 1 choices. I'm like that with Street Fighter as well. I'm sure we'll see Ryu, Ken, Guile, Chun-Li and Akuma from jump, but to really sell ME on the line, show me someone that I'm not used to.

If I had a choice, I would go with Comic Book turtles, but Fred Wolf versions of everyone else. Since the NECA comic book Turtles were more of my thing (hell, even the new TMNT toys from Nickelodeon look better to me), these straight-up Fred Wolf versions are a harder sell to me. That's why I'd wait until I see other characters before I ultimately decide to collect this line. If Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady look great, then I would go back and pick up the fab four to go with those Wave 2 figures.

Sometimes you want to see characters other than the obvious Wave 1 choices. I'm like that with Street Fighter as well. I'm sure we'll see Ryu, Ken, Guile, Chun-Li and Akuma from jump, but to really sell ME on the line, show me someone that I'm not used to.

If I had a choice, I would go with Comic Book turtles, but Fred Wolf versions of everyone else. Since the NECA comic book Turtles were more of my thing (hell, even the new TMNT toys from Nickelodeon look better to me), these straight-up Fred Wolf versions are a harder sell to me. That's why I'd wait until I see other characters before I ultimately decide to collect this line. If Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady look great, then I would go back and pick up the fab four to go with those Wave 2 figures.
    See and that is why I think they should only show you 2 new figures for the next wave and refresh the main 4. Give people a chance to jump in the line at any point instead of just sending out a wave of new characters and cutting those who missed the 1st try out.

If they show you 2 new figures (Like Shredder and April for example) and you still don't jump in then they don't need to be targeting you as a main customer imho because your needs are going to be on the higher end scale that they can't accommodate at the start