Thread: Another Interview With Jon Chu

Another Interview With Jon Chu

I'm not sure if this warrants its own thread. He says a bit, although like before at the same time he doesn't really say a whole lot. It can be merged, I suppose. It’s actually an interesting interview, anyway, highlighting that it was actually his experience in dance choreography that got him the GI Joe 2 job. It really sounds like his heart is in the right place, pertaining to the MOTU movie. These are the bits about MOTU, but I do recommend reading the whole interview at the link. I have a lot of respect for the guy after reading it, especially how he's achieved so much at such a young age.

While Chu finishes off G.I. Joe, he’s also spending his time working on another, hotly anticipated toy to TV to movie adaptation, "Masters of the Universe." While it’s still early going, Chu is still eager to jump right into the world of Eternia. “I’m really excited about that one!” said Chu. “We’re really early in the process… We’re working on the script, to make it better and stronger. We’re designing a bunch of stuff. I learned on Joe that to make it right, you have to do a lot of experimenting first, and you have to trust that during the process you’ll find where the tonal line is… It’s so delicate.

“'Masters of the Universe' means so much to a lot of people out there – and myself as well. I don’t want to disappoint my friends!” continued Chu. “We all grew up with Masters, played with the toys… I had a Castle Grayskull, played with the toys, I had a Battle Cat. We’re just designing now, going to far on some things, pulling back on others… Making it more real, or more fantastic. We’re trying to find that line as we go.

“A lot of people ask, who are you going to cast? We’re not even there yet, we’re just trying to get the character of the movie down. This is one of the most fun parts, where all the possibilities are open, and we’re just playing in the sandbox.”

So given Chu is early in the process, will he aim to shoot in 3-D so he doesn’t end up in the same situation that led to "G.I. Joe’s" delay? “It’s not always my choice!” said Chu, laughing. “I love 3-D, and for certain movies it can be really great, and for certain movies it can be poison. As we figure out the character of the movie, I think we’ll have a better feel for it. Of course, I love 3-D – a movie like Masters in 3-D would be amazing… To be in that world would be a crazy, crazy experience. We’ll see what Sony decides.”

We also asked whether Chu would be pulling at all from the recent DC Comics reboot of Masters of the Universe. He did say that he’s looked at the comics, and spent a lot of time at Mattel reviewing all iterations of the franchise – but right now, there’s no one source he’s drawing on for the movie. Instead, the Director said he’s immersing himself in the world, same as he did for the "Step Up" movies, and "G.I. Joe".

“Going into 'Masters of the Universe' is the same experience,” said Chu. “Right now, I’m just soaking it all in. Learning, watching, listening, reading a lot. Any blogs that are out there, or people who have opinions. I’m just soaking it in, and feeling what the environment is in this world. I know what I personally feel about Masters, but there is something to be said for experiencing what other people experience in the world.”
    The whole interview can be found here: http://geek-news.mtv.com/?p=95518

jon posted that video on facebook , 10:30 talk about motu .

Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

^ Thanks for the video.

I love how he mentions Orko. I really hope we see him. Also, the She-Ra mention was good, but it was what I was expecting. I've always maintained that the whole She-Ra part of the story would make great sequel material.

this project is finally a reality .

jon chu is very excited about the movie ,it's great they are already designing things, testing.

2015 is the year, right?
    MOTULA.ORG

Widget
    He seems energized and positive, but I can't say I'm terribly excited based on his limited experience of past projects that don't relate (dance, bieber) and especially of taking on another classic 80's franchise (GIJOE).

We'll just have to wait and see. I thought the 2002 cartoon overall did a pretty great job of adding new things, while keeping many of the elements that made the classic show great. Perhaps a 2015 movie can do something similar? Seems like a long shot though.

Yeah, this is encouraging. But I will hold any judgement until I see some designs, casting, plot info, and a trailer. Until then, I will say that I will not go see a movie just because it has "Masters of the Universe" in the title. If it looks like it will suck or get me mad, then I will not see it.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

It's encouraging that Chu seems to be so excited about it. Also that he is reading "any blogs that are out there, or people who have opinions"
    No one could make a perfect movie; the day after the premiere we'll all be here griping about it, but it seems he wants to make a real effort to do the
    property justice. And he was a fan as a kid, so if he wasn't making millions of dollars as a director, he might just be on this forum like the rest of us.

Still excited.

I really like the fact it seems he wants to get it right. Hes doinb his homework. Not rushing and skipping steps to get it done. I can wait for a awesome mlvke so please take your time
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Chu seems very energetitic and excited about motu, i hope he dosent involve too much from the new DC comics because they are pretty average.

Also with a movie you already have the building blocks for a foundation i just hope they dont tweak it too much, pls dont have the movie on or any where near earth. Eternia will be fine.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Come on guys to recommend! !

tweet from Jon M Chu

huh. Thanks for the note! Any others you guys recommend? also any other characters? #MastersoftheUniverse
    https://twitter.com/jonmchu
    MOTULA.ORG

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I'm still worries. specially when I think of Filmation MOTU & the 87 movie being what people remember. hope that they are not the only source inspiration.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

Hmmm this news http://t.co/91H85QWE
    MOTULA.ORG

I don’t know if you know heavy-eternium, but Jon Chu just answered your question on Twitter. Quite a good answer, too.

About this news......interesting. I read this yesterday. I will say that even though it seems worrying on the surface, there is actually nothing all that unusual about it. It is actually the norm for a director, once he or she is finishing a project, to attach themselves to more than one other project. It gives them something to full back on in case anything goes wrong. So I wouldn’t worry too much just yet. I don’t know why Collider seems to think that this new project is now his highest priority, because the original article over at the Hollywood Reporter makes no such claim.

Remember, he’s been on MOTU for a lot longer and Escape Artists’ deal with Sony Pictures expires in 2015. Also, Devon Franklin just tweeted recently that everything is going fine with Chu. I posted it in the “Movie Mentions” thread. Again, we'll know more come March and April. When he's doing the publicity circuit for GI Joe 2 a lot of people are bound to ask him about MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I don’t know if you know heavy-eternium, but Jon Chu just answered your question on Twitter. Quite a good answer, too.
    Thanks, I did not know he answered my question, great. good response and reassuring.

some times you have to take with tweezers some news ,I mean they have a story and then they add things.
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    ..I'm doulbting there will be much of a story.

Maybe as much of a story as 'In the Name of the King' with Statham,, or the romance of 'Warm Bodies' and 'Twilight'.

Also more or less these hollywood types only talk to you on twitter because they are incouraged to promote the movie, not because they care what you think.

..more or less.