Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe | Ongoing #14 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe | Ongoing #14 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    ONGOING COMIC SERIES

Issue #14
    "The Blood of Grayskull" part 1
    (2/6)

Based on a story by: Rob David & Lloyd Goldfine
    Script: Dan Abnett
    Art: Pop Mhan
    Cover: Ken Lashley

Solicitation date: June 25th, 2014
    Release date: June 25th, 2014

A new chapter is dawning in Eternia as “THE BLOOD OF GREYSKULL” begins! As an ancient evil from Eternia’s past returns, Princess Adora must continue on her road to redemption. But when she is confronted with tragic news by her brother He-Man, brother and sister must unite to fight against The Horde and find the secrets of the Greyskull legacy.

You can get the issue at your local comicbook store or from comixology!

Personal notes, I really like all the dialogue between He-Man and Adora. Though I am curious where and how did Adora get that map to Anwat-Gar...

The scene with Eternians being enslaved reminded a bit of the scene in SOTS as the Rebels go to stop the Evil Horde...

Also, did you notice the 3 shapes (square, circle and triangle) that He-Man, Adora and Battle Cat were being spied over? EXCELLENT Filmation Tri-Klops reference!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    It was a pretty talky issue, but I enjoyed it. It's also the first chapter...

• I thought I missed a page when He-Man and Adora were suddenly fighting Horde Troopers. Where did they come from?

• Adora's locket with Filmation Marlena...what is the relevance of the She-Ra chest logo?

• Starting to like DC Adora.

• I like the nod to She-Ra's power over animals, when it is mentioned that Battle Cat doesn't befriend anyone easily.

• Adora's reaction to Teela becoming Sorceress is priceless -- "Great Gods! There goes the war!". It's a great nod to their childhood friendship and adult rivalry.

• It's like the Great Rebellion is on Eternia. I wonder then, where are the other POP characters? Are they Eternians now?

• Yeah, I caught the Tri-Klops shaped optics at the end of the issue too.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    I've said before that, IMO, Despara is the most compelling addition to the line since 200X if not before and this issue did nothing to change that. I love the added depth that the DC storyline adds to the "Force Captain reformed" angle.

I felt like it was too short.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    It was a pretty talky issue, but I enjoyed it. It's also the first chapter...

• I thought I missed a page when He-Man and Adora were suddenly fighting Horde Troopers. Where did they come from?

• Adora's locket with Filmation Marlena...what is the relevance of the She-Ra chest logo?

• Starting to like DC Adora.

• I like the nod to She-Ra's power over animals, when it is mentioned that Battle Cat doesn't befriend anyone easily.

• Adora's reaction to Teela becoming Sorceress is priceless -- "Great Gods! There goes the war!". It's a great nod to their childhood friendship and adult rivalry.

• It's like the Great Rebellion is on Eternia. I wonder then, where are the other POP characters? Are they Eternians now?

• Yeah, I caught the Tri-Klops shaped optics at the end of the issue too.
    I ageed with everything here and had the same thoughs and questions. I really liked the issue but that jump threw me off. Loved the Tri-Klops reference. About time Skeletor's minions start resurfacing!

Heroic Warrior
    Wow! This was a really good issue!

It had the most accurated and greatest characterizations of Adam, Adora and Teela we have seen so far in this ongoing. The scene of the reunion between the twins is really well handled. I loved the initial awkwardness between them. But the highlight of the issue personally i believe it is how Adam, tried to reach Adora, how he tried to understand how she felt, how he tried to lift the burden of the guilt, and how he succeeded (with Teela's help) to make her comprehend that she is a part of a family that she loves her. I think that Dan Abnett's writting (it's now obvious how disastrous was the way that Giffen treated these characters during the first arc), and Pop Mhan's art deliver one of the best character moment of the whole series so far.

It was good to see how Adora and Teela's friendship is fortified.

And i liked how both Adam and Teela referring to themselves as "we" with meaning.

Also there was a good action and some important Easter Eggs. At the end, a familiar (and favorite of mine) villain appeared.

The only lament is that it almost seemed to me that they were missing a couple of pages at the middle of the issue.

I hope only that this series will continue to exist, because now it has a lot of potential, and it will not be influenced by the recent Mattel's decisions about the MOTUC toy line. And also hope that MOTU fans will return to support it.
    Last edited by granamyr80; June 25, 2014 at 09:57pm.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    I hope only that this series will continue to exist, because now it has a lot of potential, and it will not be influenced by the recent Mattel's decisions about the MOTUC toy line. And also hope that MOTU fans will return to support it.
    A problem is the damage from the earlier Giffen issues. People don't know (or don't care) that the comics have gotten alot better in terms of art and writing.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    A problem is the damage from the earlier Giffen issues. People don't know (or don't care) that the comics have gotten alot better in terms of art and writing.
    I know and it's really a pitty. The horrible Giffen's dialogue did a lot of damage. And this is pretty obvious especially when someone compares the first arc with Abnett's work. For example in this issue, there is a piece of dialogue between Adora and Adam that i absolutely loved (without spoiling much i hope):

Adora: "I appreciate the company you know, but i don't deserve it. I have demons to banish"
    Adam: "Perhaps i can help with that"
    Adora: "How?"
    Adam: "Family, is a strength that demons fear".
    This is one of the best He-Man's lines ever.
    Comparing this now, with Giffen's writting is really painful.
    I believe that this series deserves a second chance. Perhaps renumbering or renaming the series, while continue with the same creative team (and also with Mark H Roberts in the colors, because he finally made justice to Pop Mhan's art) it would be a solution for bringing back the readers.
    Last edited by granamyr80; June 25, 2014 at 11:38pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Abnett really is turning this series into something enjoyable. I hope he stays on for a while. I know a lot of people gave up on it completely while Giffen was writing. I actually skipped a couple of issues myself initially, until I saw Abnett was being brought on board.

For an issue that was almost entirely dialog driven (it's pretty much all about Adam reconnecting with his sister), it moved along well and kept my interest. I thought both characters were handled quite well. Also, I thought Battle Cat looked freaking epic in this issue. And yes, the Tri-Klops hint at the end was pretty nice.

There are mainly 3 things bothering me right now with this issue, although they are all kind of minor:

1) This was not the origin of She-Ra. I'm kind of used to comics having misleading covers, but this was pretty blatantly false. It's also kind of annoying because at this point, She-Ra has been put on the cover of 3 issues, but didn't actually appear in any of them. Come on guys, lets knock it off with the teasing; if you want to make money off the character then just start using the character.

2) I get that the issue was supposed to be mainly a family reunion thing, but I really feel that Adora's value as an asset should be brought up at some point soon. She was a very high ranking Horde officer. This means she is essentially an expert on Horde military strength and procedure, and should have extensive first hand knowledge of Horde society and infrastructure as well. She is an absolutely invaluable source of military intelligence, but I don't think this has been brought up even once yet.

3) Probably the most minor point, but it feels to me that even up to now, at no point have I really felt like He-Man's power has actually been showcased in any sort of satisfactory manner. Even this issue, for example; sure, he takes out some Horde Troopers without much of an issue, but so does Adora. So there's not much indication he's actually any more powerful than she is. I feel like almost all of his appearances in this series so far have gone the same way. He may be the best of the Masters, but it doesn't seem to be by any huge margin. I don't even like overpowered characters, so I'm not talking about having him throw around moons or castles or anything, but they could at least show him smashing up a Horde Tank or something.

Well...as for Origin....he gave her an ancient sword and started with her on the quest. Sounds like part one of an origin to me. I was under the impression that this arc was the origin story...not this issue in its entirety.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
    Abnett really is turning this series into something enjoyable. I hope he stays on for a while. I know a lot of people gave up on it completely while Giffen was writing. I actually skipped a couple of issues myself initially, until I saw Abnett was being brought on board.

For an issue that was almost entirely dialog driven (it's pretty much all about Adam reconnecting with his sister), it moved along well and kept my interest. I thought both characters were handled quite well. Also, I thought Battle Cat looked freaking epic in this issue. And yes, the Tri-Klops hint at the end was pretty nice.

There are mainly 3 things bothering me right now with this issue, although they are all kind of minor:

1) This was not the origin of She-Ra. I'm kind of used to comics having misleading covers, but this was pretty blatantly false. It's also kind of annoying because at this point, She-Ra has been put on the cover of 3 issues, but didn't actually appear in any of them. Come on guys, lets knock it off with the teasing; if you want to make money off the character then just start using the character.

2) I get that the issue was supposed to be mainly a family reunion thing, but I really feel that Adora's value as an asset should be brought up at some point soon. She was a very high ranking Horde officer. This means she is essentially an expert on Horde military strength and procedure, and should have extensive first hand knowledge of Horde society and infrastructure as well. She is an absolutely invaluable source of military intelligence, but I don't think this has been brought up even once yet.

3) Probably the most minor point, but it feels to me that even up to now, at no point have I really felt like He-Man's power has actually been showcased in any sort of satisfactory manner. Even this issue, for example; sure, he takes out some Horde Troopers without much of an issue, but so does Adora. So there's not much indication he's actually any more powerful than she is. I feel like almost all of his appearances in this series so far have gone the same way. He may be the best of the Masters, but it doesn't seem to be by any huge margin. I don't even like overpowered characters, so I'm not talking about having him throw around moons or castles or anything, but they could at least show him smashing up a Horde Tank or something.
    The Origin of She-Ra is the name of the current 6 issue arc. It would have been really a surprise to see Adora becoming She-Ra from the first issue (since the solicitations of the upcoming issues, are still referring to her as Adora). The cover is actually quite symbolic with her half as a Horde Force Captain and half as She-Ra, indicating the journey to her destiny.

Like you said this issue was about the reunion between Adam and Adora, since Giffen didn't bother to do it (and at the end we are lucky that he didn't do it), so Abnett in my opinion did very well to use this issue for this purpose (especially after what happened to Randor). So we have to wait and see the next issues with the Fright Zone and how the creative team will bring the connection between Adora and the Horde.

As for He-Man's powers, it seems that DC He-Man's Power level is adaptable and depends from the task or the opponent that he has to face (and of cource the writer). So far the most powerful He-Man we saw was during the crossover with the DC Universe when he faced the Superman's magical clone and when he battled with Supes against one million demonic Trollans. But personally i like more to see the Warrior He-Man (still waiting for his Battle Axe to appear) instead of superman He-Man.

Heroic Warrior
    Great issue! I loved the interaction between Adam and Adora. Having them go on a quest together is a great opportunity to have them bond and tie the overall story arc started in issue #1 together. Although I didn't mind Giffen that much for the 1st 12 issues (the initial miniseries and the first 6 issues of the ongoing), I agree that Abnett has a better handle on the dialogue. Looking forward to the rest of this arc. Also Tri-Klops is my one of my favorite Evil Warriors, especially after how great 2000x handled his character, so having him target Adam and Adora is a great plot point IMHO.

Are we sure we aren't missing a page? Does the physical issue also make that jump?
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Are we sure we aren't missing a page? Does the physical issue also make that jump?
    Yeah the physical issue makes the same jump.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    The chest logo maybe a representation of the Ancient Egyptian 'Flower of Life' that is believed to have healing powers, provides protection from harm, increases self-awareness / self-belief, etc. As such, it provides a connection with She-Ra's healing abilities, her invulnerability, her worldly wisdom (for someone so young) and confidence. It might also explain why Marlena the astronaut from Earth would carry the locket as it would be a good luck charm for her space travels.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Kickin' It Old Skool! Alex The Kid's Avatar
    Read this last night and I LOVED it!!
    Really intrigued by this story arc. The art and coloring is GREAT also, I'm really digging this travelling He-man in a cloak - I hope this becomes a reoccurring look for him. I'd buy a figure of this new 52 look He-man (including a hooded cloak accessory) in a second!

I also appreciate that even though Adora's outfit is updated and designed differently to what we know, the coloring has remained the same.

All in all, I'm enjoying this comic and really look forward to the next issue! Evil warriors cometh!

Heroic Warrior
    Let see some reviews about He-Man and the Masters of the Universe issue #14:

http://weirdsciencedccomicsblog.blog...iverse-14.html

http://nothingbutcomics.wordpress.co...e-universe-14/

http://livingmythmagazine.com/blog/2...cs-2014-06-25/

http://www.mcsoss.com/2014/06/gints-...st-review.html

http://dccomicsnews.com/2014/06/25/r...s-universe-14/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee11aPzqJfs

http://cynsworkshop.wordpress.com/20...comic-reviews/

This is another round of positive reviews. Dan Abnett and Pop Mhan continue to deliver a good MOTU series.

Also a couple of pages from this issue:

- I like the contrast here between the medioeval Eternian port and the futuristic technological Horde's Fright Zone:
    http://dccomicsnews.com/wp-content/u...13-014-018.jpg

- And the first battle that the twins fought side by side in the DC continuity:
    http://dccomicsnews.com/wp-content/u...13-014-016.jpg
    Last edited by granamyr80; July 8, 2014 at 09:56pm.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    - And the first battle that the twins fought side by side in the DC continuity:
    http://dccomicsnews.com/wp-content/u...13-014-016.jpg
    This image with Adora thrusting her sword through an armoured Horde Trooper while at the same time lifting the trooper into the air seems to indicate she has superhuman strength. Has anyone got an explanation?
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    This image with Adora thrusting her sword through an armoured Horde Trooper while at the same time lifting the trooper into the air seems to indicate she has superhuman strength. Has anyone got an explanation?
    Or this, or the blade that she wield is not an ordinary blade. But from what we saw so far i believe that the Eternians are stronger from the average Earthlings. Remember Teela had jumped from one of the Eternos palace's towers in issue #2 (the same had done Adam and Adora). In issue #12 she cut a Snake Man in half with a blow from her sword. The DC Eternians are like the equivalent of DC Universe's Asgardians.
    Last edited by granamyr80; June 30, 2014 at 04:39pm.

I just sat down and read through all 14 comics in the series. I notice they're all from last year. Is the series still ongoing? I can't wait to see Adora become She-Ra!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRa789 View Post
    I just sat down and read through all 14 comics in the series. I notice they're all from last year. Is the series still ongoing? I can't wait to see Adora become She-Ra!
    Yes, it's an ongoing so far. And the current arc is about the Origin of She-Ra.

- - - Updated - - -

In this issue we had also two new points to add on the Eternian map:
    - The Mountains of Thallu (no idea where exactly are located)
    - The Althra port (which must be at the banks of the ocean of Gnarl, since Anwat Gar is an island of this ocean)

So the new Eternian locations that we have in the DC MOTU so far, are:
    The Keltic Pass (from DC vs MOTU #1)
    The town of Sarnscepter in the Plains of Perpetua (from MOTU #7)
    The Mount Zoar (from MOTU #8)
    The Circles of Subternia
    The Sand's End (from the mini series)
    Plus the new two from this issue.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Got my issue a few days ago - I loved it. It was quite a heavy issue (reading-wise) but because it was well written I didn't mind. I'm really liking this new take on Adam's and Adora's relationship and also throwing a Sorceress version of Teela into the mix, it's an interesting angle.

Also have to say Pop's art is getting better with each issue, really liking it.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I loved this issue. Best moment: He-Man giving Adora the She-Ra locket. Not only is it foreshadowing her becoming She-Ra, but it's also a nice nod to the locket Sea Hawk gave Adora in the cartoon. Adora and He-Man looked great in this issue too.

I'm VERY worried about Teela having He-Man give Adora the blade that slit King Grayskull's throat (Saryn's blade). I mean...that can only spell trouble.

I love Battle Cat/Cringer and Adora's relationship. I wonder how/when she will come across Spirit? The nod to her power over animals was also awesome.

I'm loving the comics now. I REALLY hope that people give this series another try. The beginning was rough, and at times, completely awful. Despara was the only good thing it had going for it. Now, however, all the characters, the story, the writing, the art...it's all good. The King Hiss storyline and now the Adora storyline have been excellent and VERY exciting! I hope it continues to be awesome, like this.

I'm not a big fan of He-Man's costume (still), but at least it's starting to get better...kind of. I LOVED Despara's look and Adora's new duds are okay. I dig them. He-Man still needs work, in my opinion. King Grayskull looks a 1000 times better and they killed him off in one issue.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I hope the book is hitting it's stride now, I'm enjoying it more thoroughly, agree with Darkspecter about the he-man costume - getting better but still UGH! his damned pants blend into battlecat's armour too, so it looks terrible!

but all in all the comic seems to have found it's footing finally.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Yes, Adora's relationship with Battle Cat is just adorable, especially considering she wanted to slaughter him in front of He-Man originally. She's finally starting to show the qualities that will eventually (hopefully not too long) lead her to She-Ra. Talk about a 360° turn!

What I'm hoping is that when Adora (eventually) joins the good side, there will be some initial distrust and resentment toward her. One thing that made me shake my head in the old Secret of the Sword movie was how the Rebellion just welcomed Adora with open arms, no questions asked. I know it was geared toward kids, so wouldn't be too in depth, but a little bit of distrust toward her would've made things more believable.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRa789 View Post
    Yes, Adora's relationship with Battle Cat is just adorable, especially considering she wanted to slaughter him in front of He-Man originally. She's finally starting to show the qualities that will eventually (hopefully not too long) lead her to She-Ra. Talk about a 360° turn!

What I'm hoping is that when Adora (eventually) joins the good side, there will be some initial distrust and resentment toward her. One thing that made me shake my head in the old Secret of the Sword movie was how the Rebellion just welcomed Adora with open arms, no questions asked. I know it was geared toward kids, so wouldn't be too in depth, but a little bit of distrust toward her would've made things more believable.
    In the Filmation cartoon Adora has spent her entire life in the Fright Zone, so even if the Etherian rebels seen her as a Horde Captain, they didn't knew her so well, so it was easier for Adora to be accepted. On the other hand the Eternians knew her only as their long lost Princess, and they welcome her with open arms.
    In the DC continuity the situation is far more complicated, because Adora lead the Horde invasion against the Eternians, her own people. This will probably have a lot of consequences not only for her but also for Adam as well. So far the people of Eternia don't know Despara and Adora's connection. But when they will find out, this would rise a lot of dissent against the Royal House of Miro. Because it's not only Adora that is part of this family, but also Keldor a.k.a the man that they know as the Dark Lord of Destruction, Skeletor. And may know He-Man/Adam as their defender, but i' m expecting that the Eternians are going to give Adam a really hard time when he will decide to claim the throne (especially if you think that King Hsss is still around and this is a situation that he could easily take advantage for his manipulations). I will not surprised if they ask the banishment of what's left of the Eternian royal family.
    Last edited by granamyr80; July 4, 2014 at 06:20pm.