Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe #3 Digital Comic - Battle Cat Talkback *SPOILERS*

Masters of the Universe #3 Digital Comic - Battle Cat Talkback *SPOILERS*

Masters of the Universe #3 Digital Comic - Battle Cat is now available on comixology.

Purchasing....RIGHT NOW.

Hmmm, I am not sure if I liked it. Art wasn't great, story was interesting.

I want to like it but I also want to dislike it.

Heroic Warrior

Aside from the ambiguous Teela/She-Ra in the battle (and at the end?),
    I really liked this one! If you go with a non-talking Cringer/Battle Cat, this is how I could actually see his thought processes working... Basic, animalistic, but intelligent enough to have feelings and thoughts that drive him.

And I love the splash page!!

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Just read it...

Here are some random thoughts:

- So this Mer Man has a tail...ok...

- blond Teela... MEH - don't like her design either

- So once he is turned into Battle Cat, Cringer simply looks like an adult of his race? He doesn't get bigger than that?
    Not liking that too much... it kinda takes away what makes BC special

- Being hunted by dylinxes for that long is a nice way to describe Cringer's fear of everything

- I never liked how Cringer was able to talk, so I really appreciated the way Cringer's thoughts were displayed. I always thought it would be cool if He-Man simply could "hear" what he thinks.

- The last drawing of He-Man looked bad and I mean BAD. He looks...fat and has bad proportions all over himself...

The comic was pretty good - not great.
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; July 28, 2012 at 10:07am.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Nice comic, I really got the MOTU vibe from it. Best comic in this series so far!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Thanks for the reminder just downloading now
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    Just read it...

Here are some random thoughts:

The comic was okay - not great.
    I think, it is clear that he is the most powerful of his clan/tribe. His father was the most powerful member, but even he cannot take on 3 panthers. After transforming of Cringer the scene clearly shows the fear in the eyes of the 3 assassins. So he is too powerful for all of them and therefore more powerful than his father, being infused with the Power of Grayskull.

Heroic Warrior
    Nice story, but leaves me filled with questions. I imagine they will be answered in the main series. Any idea who will star in August spotlight stories?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Circle of Life....

I'm against Battle Cat/Cringer talking, but if Mike Costa is using captions to relay Cringer's thoughts and dreams, he might as well have him talk.

I like the explanation of why Cringer is always so fearful...traumatic experience.

"No need of family, no need of love" worries me.

It's probably Teela at the end, but reading a book seems...I dunno...princess-like. I had to double check, but the hair color and tiara are the same.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 28, 2012 at 10:23am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I think, it is clear that he is the most powerful of his clan/tribe. His father was the most powerful member, but even he cannot take on 3 panthers. After transforming of Cringer the scene clearly shows the fear in the eyes of the 3 assassins. So he is too powerful for all of them and therefore more powerful than his father, being infused with the Power of Grayskull.
    What if him being chased by the dylinxes and being transformed into BC are supposed to be metaphors - the fear and the cure for the fear.
    I would so love that!
    And opposed to being chased by them for days (how did he manage to survive that long?) I think being chased by his fear (in shape of the ones who killed his father) makes much more sense - to me anyway...
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

"home is the battlefield. no need of family, no need of love. the glory of the battle! victory! foes falling under claws. bones cracking between jaws."

really? Battle Cat is a bloodthirsty, traumatized, sadistic, schizophrenic, savage beast that kills for glory?

that's not the Battle Cat i love. for me he was always a very gentle and kind hearted fellow that overcame his own fears to protect the innocent and fight for good. this new gory interpretation hast nothing to do with MOTU imo. i don't know why comic writers/artist these days think they have to spill blood on every page.

and as for Teela. even we hard core fans don't recognize her. why are they taking the name "MOTU" and then give us something totally new?

No need for spoiler tags in the this thread.

I am wondering if that is supposed to be Queen Teela at the end (after she marries He-Man)?

Heroic Master Of Bad Luck
    the best so far!!
    We are ka-tet. We are one from many

Don't hesitate in make deals with: JeMaBo2, air23cnhit.

I really enjoyed that one... that's three in a row for me, but I do think I liked this one best! I'm really digging everybody's new looks- the more I see them, the more I like them. Nice to see what Teela looks like... I'm digging her redesign the best. Also thought it was pretty cute, Cringer hanging out with her at the end of the story. Mostly because I was expecting Adam at the end, so it was a fresh little twist. Does anybody know if this .99 series is slated to continue past Battle Cat?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danvin View Post
    "home is the battlefield. no need of family, no need of love. the glory of the battle! victory! foes falling under claws. bones cracking between jaws."

really? Battle Cat is a bloodthirsty, traumatized, sadistic, schizophrenic, savage beast that kills for glory?

that's not the Battle Cat i love. for me he was always a very gentle and kind hearted fellow that overcame his own fears to protect the innocent and fight for good. this new gory interpretation hast nothing to do with MOTU imo. i don't know why comic writers/artist these days think they have to spill blood on every page.
    That struck me as odd too. Mike Costa had a hard time writing Transformers, let alone giant green tigers. He made Prime quit, killed Ironhide and made Bumblebee leader of the Autobots.

But to be fair, Pre-Filmation Battle Cat openly liked to kill things "With fang and claw" too, so it's not unfounded. Filmation BC liked to fight, but could be gentle at times.

and as for Teela. even we hard core fans don't recognize her. why are they taking the name "MOTU" and then give us something totally new?
    That's because the creative team probably doesn't have a passion for the characters. Even if it were Blonde Teela, an artist who knows and loves the property might have made certain we definitely knew who that was.

I do miss the old MVC days where we could look at a background and see various Easter Eggs from all over MOTU lore. That scene where Teela is walking into the room and the last page were perfect opportunities for that. IDW's current TF books do this all the time. If only Mattel would hire fan artists...

Maybe Giffen's run will be different.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I do miss the old MVC days where we could look at a background and see various Easter Eggs from all over MOTU lore. That scene where Teela is walking into the room and the last page were perfect opportunities for that. IDW's current TF books do this all the time. If only Mattel would hire fan artists...
    that's true. that's why i loved Emiliano's comics so much. you could see his love for MOTU in every panel. not only were these comics artistically/technically perfect, but i had so much fun looking for these easter eggs. remember the Faceless One having the Snake Mountain and Point Dread playsets on his shelf? that was awesome!!

Just read it. Liked it a lot. I very much enjoyed the story and the info it gave on Battle Cat/Cringer.

I enjoyed most of the redesigns, but I question the tail on Mer-Man, lol. I really liked Mer-Man's new head though.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Well, I actually liked it a lot!!
    Despite Mer-Man and fat He-Man!
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

I thought the comic was cool... I like the new Mer-Man, the tail is interesting. Is that Teela or She-Ra? As far as BC's single mindedness, he is very Batman... when he puts on the mask, he is all business, fighting his own demons... kind of a unique perspective for this character. I mean lets face it, you can always pick which version / canon you like the best. As far as I'm concerned, my own canon changes every time my kids and I play with the figures. COmparing this comic to MVC is apples and oranges. And it is OK to like them both. Yes, Emiliano's work is killer... no doubts there. This book looks cool too, I am a true Mer-Man purist, and I like these new designs.
    Check out my band The Caterpillar Book on iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc.

I like these 99 cent comics. Just little brief character glimpses.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I liked it - and I think the new Teela designs are nice - she's got the battle look and her "at home" look

Anyone know which Character comic is next?
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    Anyone know which Character comic is next?
    No information yet.

And I'm actually curious about that. If anyone can help.

Does DC Entertainment put out some list of future titles and their dates? Where could I find it?

WOW, this was the best yet! Loved the art and story! Keep it up!
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!

My 2 negatives: Cringer's muzzle/mouth area should be white, for me. It was green, and so he didn't look right. Also, I really dislike He-man's belt. WAY too big. Looks ridiculous to me. Also not digging his harness or chainmail.

But I really liked this comic. The colors were bright and bold, even while still being dark. Color is so important to MOTU for me, and I really enjoyed the colors used here. Even the skies were colorful, bold reds and oranges - not dull, lifeless color. Dramatic! I felt genuine emotion for little lost Cringer. It made me very sad what happened to his family. I find it odd that they decided to concentrate on his relationship with Teela (if indeed it's Teela) rather than Adam, but whatever. I'm not looking for a FIlmation rehash. It did feel like Battle Cat to me, a different interpretation to be sure, but it did feel like him. Pre-Filmation I guess. I like the darker tone. I understand that others don't, but I'm all for it being a bit darker. I like the psychological exploration of the character. I think it gives him an arc - a place to go. Filmation Battle Cat was awesome, but the potential for deep storytelling that would satisfy the adult I am today isn't as deep as I'd like. I don't think He-man looks fat at all.

At the end, I'm excited for more. I'd like to see where this can go. Drop the slutty Sorceress angle and bring it on. Do we know how long this series will last? Who's next? I remember reading MAA and Battle Cat would be done, but nothing beyond that. I'm hoping for more.