Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe #3 Digital Comic - Battle Cat Talkback *SPOILERS*

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    No information yet.

And I'm actually curious about that. If anyone can help.

Does DC Entertainment put out some list of future titles and their dates? Where could I find it?

Their print comics are solicited/previewed through Diamond Comics website (and various comics news sites) but I haven't seen anything that pre-announces digital-first releases beyond the first issue or so of each. These inexpensive digital comics seem to really do well for them, though, so barring anything with licensing, I would bet we have more coming.

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Wow. I really liked this one. Overall, I love this gritty take on eternia. Still not a fan of teela looking a little too close to she-ra... This was a great way to combine the bloodthirsty battle cat of the original dc comics with the filmation ideas of cringer. Very nice.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

is this series digital only?

haven't seen them at my usual online comicbook places. I've got the other 6 issue series on order. guess I will just go with comixology if it isn't, but is there even a way to actually download the comicbook files from comixology? also, was always under the impression comixology was a heavily DRM'ed "stream" only thing. like you have to be online to read comics, can't download the files for the issues you "buy" and so on. really don't like reading comicbooks on backlighted computers screens also, but I guess I will do it if I have to hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    Their print comics are solicited/previewed through Diamond Comics website (and various comics news sites) but I haven't seen anything that pre-announces digital-first releases beyond the first issue or so of each. These inexpensive digital comics seem to really do well for them, though, so barring anything with licensing, I would bet we have more coming.
    ok. so I guess these are digital only, with no print? they would have to be solicited beforehand for print. I guess that's one good thing about digital only, you can keep the actual content under wraps for stuff like this series until it's actually out and available for anyone.

I really enjoyed the comic. Battle Cat has always been one of my favorite MOTU characters but I don't like when he speaks so I loved his internal dialogue. The whole tigor scenario reminded of the Jungle Book for some reason. I loved He-Man's look! He looks do much more powerful with a thick torso and his belt is much more useful looking. I wish DC would announce a new monthly series. These books are a lot of fun.

I emailed Comixology to let them know I've really been enjoying the series and wanted to know if anything was coming beyond the current Battle Cat issue. Here's hoping for a lot more of these issues!

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    I really enjoyed the comic. Battle Cat has always been one of my favorite MOTU characters but I don't like when he speaks so I loved his internal dialogue. The whole tigor scenario reminded of the Jungle Book for some reason. I loved He-Man's look! He looks do much more powerful with a thick torso and his belt is much more useful looking. I wish DC would announce a new monthly series. These books are a lot of fun.
    I hadn't thought about his belt as being useful. I can see your point and when I re-read the comic, I'll take your comment into consideration and see if it makes me like it anymore.

These books are a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I hadn't thought about his belt as being useful. I can see your point and when I re-read the comic, I'll take your comment into consideration and see if it makes me like it anymore.

These books are a lot of fun.
    They really are fun man! These books should remind Mattel how rich this property is and how they need to invest in it more.

I just see his belt as a way to protect his vital bits lol. It instantly reminded of Spartacus.

I really liked this one. All of the digital shorts are better than the regular Issue #1. There's more story in fewer pages.

No talking = great.

I didn't like the "No need for family, no need for love" line. But that idea got erased with the last page.

I LOVE Teela's new looks. Both look great.

I'm glad they kept the part of the Tigers getting slaughtered toned down to some degree, I was dreading turning the page tbh.

I still like Cringer's MYP depiction the best. I don't think there was trauma there...he was naturally afraid of things that a pet might be afraid of, but also unafraid and heroic during other times. It seemed completely natural. But this story is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I'm against Battle Cat/Cringer talking, but if Mike Costa is using captions to relay Cringer's thoughts and dreams, he might as well have him talk

It's probably Teela at the end, but reading a book seems...I dunno...princess-like.
    Completely disagree...just b/c something doesn't speak, doesn't mean they don't think.
    And what is wrong with reading a book? That was one of the best panels in the story.

I would really like to get figures based on the artwork here. That Mer-Man was frighteningly awesome!
    View my collection and customs HERE!

Beautiful detail on the last page!
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!

While I prefer a speaking Cringer/Battlecat, it's never been a deal breaker. Overall, I like the characterization, and the art. Not much story, but it's just a character piece. My only real negatives are, fat He-Man, Teela's redesign, and why is Cringer hangin with Teela anyhow, when he should be hangin with Adam? But, aside from that, loved it! Wish this digital series had been the printed one!

simply a wonderful tale.

a source worthy of battle-cat. finally see a bunch of green tigers, I love the idea of ​​warring clans.
    great to see the father of Cringer, wow red stripes.
    this is a true "icons of heros"
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

I really enjoyed this one the most. The art is also great, dark and gritty yet vivid and bright as well. Very cool indeed.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Circle of Life....

I'm against Battle Cat/Cringer talking, but if Mike Costa is using captions to relay Cringer's thoughts and dreams, he might as well have him talk.

I like the explanation of why Cringer is always so fearful...traumatic experience.

"No need of family, no need of love" worries me.

It's probably Teela at the end, but reading a book seems...I dunno...princess-like. I had to double check, but the hair color and tiara are the same.
    I'm sort of half and half with Cringer/Battlecat's thought bubbles. I really don't want to see a talking Cringer, but the thought/narration was a bit grating after a while. Though since this is probably a one off I can easily dismiss it.

I thought the comic was alright overall, though the story may be a bit more violent than necessary (though I do prefer a darker tone myself, it's a balancing act basically). The story was a bit 'Lion King', but it provides a decent backstory and motivation for Cringer. Though I think the art was ok overall, but pretty weird at times. Cringer shouldn't look as big as Battlecat in my opinion, it's like Filmation He-man being a tanned Prince Adam to me. Plus at times he looked less like a tiger and more like Beast from X-men. His face and even body at times were less cat like and more human at times.

The Te-Dora thing. It's more than likely Teela (sadly). She's really blonde and I just can't get over that. It's not her. Overall it's a nice design (in my opinion) and I'd be fine if her hair was the right colour, but it would make a great design for Adora too. Plus the implications of that being Adora rather than Teela could mean a different interpretation of the She-Ra story. Which would be interesting to me.

What was up with He-man's massive belt? Did he win a new WWE championship I'm not aware of? Well at least the scale-mail wasn't all over the place.

Was that Mer-man or one of his followers? It seems fairly different to issue 1's take on him. Even though that wasn't the best interpretation either and I think the art was better here, he seems less distinct and just a basic Mer-person than Mer-man himself.

Though overall I still think MAA is the better issue so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    I still think the flashback was part "true" (dylinx killing his clan and family) and part metaphor (fear and courage/power).
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Good Thoughts.

Safe comic.

Bad inner monologing.

What exactly happened there with the Merman battle? There was a big squid, then I guess it got chopped into calamari, but then there was a steering wheel on its back and a glowing rod thing that Battle Cat roars at and then suddenly Merman is tied up and hanging from...did the squid turn into a pirate ship? Whuh?

Also, Cringer was found by He-Man and not Adam? Turned into Battle Cat when just a cub? And despite coming from a grand tiger clan, he's inherited none of his "great father's" courage? It's sad to see he's become a cowardly domesticated beast who only resembles his father because of supernatural magic. And even then, as BC he turns into a raging monster with no use for love? I don't much like either Cringer or Battle Cat in this interpretation honestly from a characterization POV. Battle Cat was always brave and noble, but not a beast with no need for family or love. That's just rotten. And this kind of emphasized the pathetic nature of Cringer by showing how diminished he is compared to how he--presumably--would have been in the wild. It's as if the Lion King ended with Simba as a house cat.

Apart from that I liked the artwork. Teela's design is so radical I honestly don't know if that's Queen Teela at the end or Princess Adora. If it's Teela, her tiara has become a crown. And I'm kind of tired of making her blond all the time now.

The suit of armor in the background of the last page is, to quote Eamon, flippin' awesoooooome!
    Last edited by gbagok; July 28, 2012 at 03:17pm.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Good Thoughts.

Safe comic.

Bad inner monologing.

What exactly happened there with the Merman battle? There was a big squid, then I guess it got chopped into calamari, but then there was a steering wheel on its back and a glowing rod thing that Battle Cat roars at and then suddenly Merman is tied up and hanging from...did the squid turn into a pirate ship? Whuh?!
    The Squid WAS a Ship. The steering wheel with the gem controlled it and without it, it was subdued. At least that's what I got out of it. It was not clear, however.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Good Thoughts.
    What exactly happened there with the Merman battle? There was a big squid, then I guess it got chopped into calamari, but then there was a steering wheel on its back and a glowing rod thing that Battle Cat roars at and then suddenly Merman is tied up and hanging from...did the squid turn into a pirate ship? Whuh?
    That's the thing that left me confused aswell...

Also, Cringer was found by He-Man and not Adam? Turned into Battle Cat when just a cub?
    This part I thought might be interpreted as metaphors:

Yes Cringer was chased by the dylinx, but he wasn't actually chased by them for days. He might have managed to escape them.
    But traumatized by seeing his family murdered he still was chased by fear.

Furthermore I don't think this actually was supposed to be the point in the story where Adam and Cringer met for the first time.
    It might be another metaphor. So I don't think He-Man was actually "saving" Cringer from the dylinx, (as it was visualized here) - it was simply a metaphor for saving him from being afraid.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

I loved this one, both the art, the story ànd the writing. It felt inspired. I hope to see Mike Costa and Jeremy Raapack doing more MOTU comics. And I'd purchase a print version of this one in a heartbeat.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Loved it!

I hope more follow.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Completely disagree...just b/c something doesn't speak, doesn't mean they don't think.
    I'm not saying that he can't think, but I just found it strange that we can read his thoughts.

And what is wrong with reading a book? That was one of the best panels in the story.
    I like the scene too, but it seems so un-Teela-like. However, I have to remember that this DC series is a new version of characters and to throw all of the old various characterizations out the window.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

I like the scene too, but it seems so un-Teela-like. However, I have to remember that this DC series is a new version of characters and to throw all of the old various characterizations out the window.
    Yeah. I'd say this would be the best thing to do really. Just forget all the old stuff and expect new takes.

However, that said, to me it seems that this Teela is older and not as naive or reckless as a younger Teela would be. So far, almost all the characters seem older than any of the previous versions.

I did like it...but I'm either confused and missed it...or they changed the story.

Adam/He-Man and Cringer/Battle Cat didn't know each other prior to the first transformation?

- - - Updated - - -

Also...

After reading the first one with Sir Laser-Lot, it left me wanting more...and I was expecting the story to continue.
    The Man-At-Arms and Battle Cat ones seem like one-offs to me. Is this going to be one cohesive story or just glorified bios?

GOOD NEWS:

"I'm glad you're enjoying Masters of the Universe. There are more issues in the works, keep an eye open on every other Saturday!"

Response from someone over at Comixology regarding the future of these one-off stories

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    After reading the first one with Sir Laser-Lot, it left me wanting more...and I was expecting the story to continue.
    The Man-At-Arms and Battle Cat ones seem like one-offs to me. Is this going to be one cohesive story or just glorified bios?
    These are one-offs that tell side-stories or back-stories to the current DC Comics continuity, if I'm remembering right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    GOOD NEWS:

"I'm glad you're enjoying Masters of the Universe. There are more issues in the works, keep an eye open on every other Saturday!"

Response from someone over at Comixology regarding the future of these one-off stories
    Awesome!
    I hope we get a Whiplash, Fisto, or Mer-Man story.