Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Masters of the Universe #3 Digital Comic - Battle Cat Talkback *SPOILERS*

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    It's probably Teela at the end, but reading a book seems...I dunno...princess-like. I had to double check, but the hair color and tiara are the same.
    That's so funny, because I may sound like an idiot (won't be the first time) but I thought it was some new design for Marlena and assumed it was her.

I think this is the worst of the three so far. The first one was ok, aside from Malificent, er, Evil-Lyn's new design, and the fact that I just don't give a care about Laser Lot. The second one was pretty good, mostly because it actually told a story. But this one - it just didn't make a ton of sense. I didn't understand why or how He-man just showed up in the background with his magic sword to transform Battle Cat (he was just walking in the woods?), and while I liked that there was an explanation for Cringer being traumatized but I think that just highlighted the fact that it's an odd character trait anyway, as there doesn't seem to be "memory loss" between transformations) and actually just makes Cringer kind of sad.

While I like he got some attention, I feel like the best part of Cringer/Battle Cat was his relationship with Adam/He-man, and I would like to have seen a story around their first meeting/why they are together, and this left that part out completely. I just felt sorry for him (and the encounter with the guy on the stairs wasn't explained well, either).

Finally, have to agree - the art, especially the last page, was atrocious. I like a variety of styles, but this "rough draft" type just isn't very interesting to me.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I think it's pretty funny (and at the same time, sad) that we're now 4 issues in to this new MOTU comic series and we still do not know if that's Teela or She-Ra.

I'm leaning more towards Teela, since she has the white, furry neck collar. Her outfit details in the "standing triumphant" group shot, reminds me HEAVILY of the 1987 Movie She-Ra concept though...:

- She-Ra's hair
    - She-Ra's sword
    - She-Ra's clothes

...it's probably Teela.

This story was told somewhere before. The Tygors vs Panthors (and is on box art). In Filmation, Battle Cat's Family was killed by a different creature though. Never explicitly stated, but heavily implied.

I liked the story. I hope He-Man can talk to Battle Cat telepathically.

RE: books. Filmation Teela was very bookish. Her father trained her in many aspects (not just fighting, but technology, etc.) and she even went to Eternian University and that dude fell in love with her and went all dark when she didn't love him back (or still). Little fuzzy as I'm extremely tired.

EDIT: I wonder if Mer-Man and Whiplash have been combined into ONE character? His character design (and tail/use of tail) would seem that way. Maybe they combined She-Ra and Teela in the same manner? Both of those things wouldn't make me happy though.

I liked the story, by the way.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; July 31, 2012 at 03:13am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

This was the most awesome MOTU-story I've read in a long while. Just perfect.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I think it's pretty funny (and at the same time, sad) that we're now 4 issues in to this new MOTU comic series and we still do not know if that's Teela or She-Ra.
    That's partly why I feel that Teela should always be depicted as a redhead. If she was, there wouldn't be any debate over the identity of the woman in this comic.

Sooooo... Battle Cat is the Lion King (bye Simba).

Good story, but I prefer the Sir Laser Lot's story, and, in second place, the Man-at-Arms's story.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    RE: books. Filmation Teela was very bookish. Her father trained her in many aspects (not just fighting, but technology, etc.) and she even went to Eternian University and that dude fell in love with her and went all dark when she didn't love him back (or still). Little fuzzy as I'm extremely tired.
    EVERYONE in Filmation was bookish.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    That's partly why I feel that Teela should always be depicted as a redhead. If she was, there wouldn't be any debate over the identity of the woman in this comic.
    I think Adora/She-Ra wouldn't be on Eternia without explanation, thus making Teela the only blonde around.

A blonde woman on a unicorn! Who could that be? We know it's not She-Ra. Better visual clues.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 31, 2012 at 11:42am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

master of hiphop
    Loved it!!!!! can't say more then that.. keep bringing them on... and for .99c you can't go wrong!
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    A blonde woman on a unicorn! Who could that be? We know it's not She-Ra. Better visual clues.
    She's got She-Ra's sword though.

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

We know it's not She-Ra. They have the rights, but haven't used her yet. It's Teela.

I enjoyed the comic, loved the red strips on Battle Cat's dad and liked that the explained why Cringer is so cowardly because he's was traumatised as a cub.
    Not sure if I liked He-Man saving Cringer though, it should have been Adam as I like it better that Cringer has been with Adam since he was a boy, certainly before he became He-Man.

The drawing of He-Man at the end is TERRIBLE though, possibly the worst art of He-Man I've ever seen!

I don't think thats She-Ra's sword, it their version of Teela's sword:

MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I enjoyed the comic, loved the red strips on Battle Cat's dad and liked that the explained why Cringer is so cowardly because he's was traumatised as a cub.
    Not sure if I liked He-Man saving Cringer though, it should have been Adam as I like it better that Cringer has been with Adam since he was a boy, certainly before he became He-Man.

The drawing of He-Man at the end is TERRIBLE though, possibly the worst art of He-Man I've ever seen!

ahahahahah! so true.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

That's her 200X sword with her Bakull gem motif.

Since some characters have multiple looks, I guess fans will have to get used to the idea of any modern creators choosing their most liked versions of characters and using them. Instead of the more known yellow skinned Evil-Lyn and redhaired Teela, the creators over at DC decided on Blonde Teela and 200X Evil-Lyn. Mer-Man is still green, so maybe they liked that version over the blue colors.

I'm surprised people are having so much trouble wrapping their head around this being Teela's new look for this new DC series. It's not She-Ra, it's not Marlena. It's Teela. Someone I know was "flipping through my comic" on my laptop yesterday and said "Oh, Teela looks cool..." This person is not a hardcore MOTU fan and totally recognized her as being Teela.

This comic felt like perfunctory filler to me. I love all things MOTU as much as the next (not hating) fan here, but do I really need to see a slew of pages as to the origin of Battle Cat?! This is something that could have easily been slotted into a bio on the back of the toy box (and I think it was). Plus, as others have said the artwork was kind of all over the place. At 99 cents I won't beat my drum too loudly here, but overall I felt underwhelmed.

Favorite issue thus far is #1. Felt like we learned the most about a character we know the least about: Sir Laser-Lot. And since he's here to stay like him or not I feel it's better to flesh out a back story for the lesser knowns than flash back on guys we already have mountains of canon to support- like MAA.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I'm surprised people are having so much trouble wrapping their head around this being Teela's new look for this new DC series. It's not She-Ra, it's not Marlena. It's Teela. Someone I know was "flipping through my comic" on my laptop yesterday and said "Oh, Teela looks cool..." This person is not a hardcore MOTU fan and totally recognized her as being Teela.
    I'm not. Understandably, fans who are used to Teela being red haired are taken aback to her going back to her original blonde look.

It reminds me of the reactions toward the gray Hulk when he reappeared in 1987, after being known for his green coloration worldwide.
    "What do you mean the Hulk was originally gray and smart? He was always green and dumb!"

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    OMG..... He's perhaps the worst "artist" i've ever seen. Hell, I'm a better artist....

As for the book..... I loved it, Cringer's fear is easily understandable in this cannon, he was hunted by a pack of adults as a cub and felt true terror for an undetermined amount of time(was the dream literal or metaphoric?) The brutal and seemingly unfeeling Battle Cat is undoubtedly more a product of BC’s recollection than real life. BC clearly cares for his companions and is heroic, BC is not a mindless berserker.

The last 4 pages really make the book shine, the contrast of Cringer’s soft, loving personality against the previous pages filled with BC’s rage and power is very well done.

And finally – There is at least one easter-egg: BC’s 200X mask/helm is carved into the side of the table in the lower left hand corner of the final page.
    Last edited by 80's Enthusiast; August 1, 2012 at 05:55pm.

I'm not. Understandably, fans who are used to Teela being red haired are taken aback to her going back to her original blonde look.

It reminds me of the reactions toward the gray Hulk when he reappeared in 1987, after being known for his green coloration worldwide.
    "What do you mean the Hulk was originally gray and smart? He was always green and dumb!"
    And just like The Hulk was restored to being green, Teela will inevitably return to her more popular redheaded appearance.

And just like The Hulk was restored to being green, Teela will inevitably return to her more popular redheaded appearance.
    I shall complain until she changes back. If she doesn't change back, I shall simply complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Oh, I'm sure that will happen. The thing is that the Gray Hulk is now considered a regular part of the Hulk mythos, sometimes temporarily returning to comics on occasion or appearing as toys and in cartoons. Hopefully the same could be said about Teela being blonde occasionally. I've got no problem with Teela having red hair most of the time, but thanks to this modern exposure in Classics, hopefully Teela can be blonde for awhile, before going back to red.

Fans can have both looks or they can choose their favorites.

I have no problem with that. I like the early minicomics Teela. I just don't want it to become the dominant look for her.

I liked this issue well enough (as I thought the art had improved in some spots), & I actually liked Teela's design!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

EVERYONE in Filmation was bookish.

I think Adora/She-Ra wouldn't be on Eternia without explanation, thus making Teela the only blonde around.

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/a...u/88e96258.jpg

That's one of the things I miss from the mini-comics, He-Man just chillin'. No baddies around, laying around in the beautiful Eternia sun in some forest with just a lovely lady to flirt with. Then Prince Adam had to mess it all up!
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!

I've read this story several times now, and really like it. It's a sad tale with an ending I love. I agree with those who see the metaphors and a dream sequence that summarizes how he and Adam met...he's got major PTSD going on. I think that like Adam will eventually grow into He-Man, Cringer can eventually grow into Battle Cat. He showed it when he defiantly swiped at the dylinx.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    What exactly happened there with the Merman battle? There was a big squid, then I guess it got chopped into calamari, but then there was a steering wheel on its back and a glowing rod thing that Battle Cat roars at and then suddenly Merman is tied up and hanging from...did the squid turn into a pirate ship? Whuh?
    I have to agree with this, lol. It was the only really weak part of the story for me. I had no clue what was going on.

Heroic Warrior
    Queen Teela? Huh? I thought she became the next Sorceress, not Adam's bride?