Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Action Masters of the Universe Targets Jon M. Chu

Hybrid View

Heroic Warrior

Live Action Masters of the Universe Targets Jon M. Chu

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...ets-jon-m-chu-

I know it's not much but at least it's moving forward...sort of.

Oh HELL no. Look, I'm normally a "wait and see, give it a chance before you condemn it" but not this time. I'm sorry, but I just can't. The first 3 things that pop up on his IMDB page for what he's known for are

Step Up 2: The Streets
    Step Up 3D

and

Justin Beiber: Never Say Never

Man, I thought it was bad enough they got the GI Joe 2 director, but then to see all that other crap............ugh.......just ugh.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

So this is it. We knew this news was coming. I must say, I’m both surprised and not surprised. I’m not sure what to think about this. On the plus side, it looks like he’s done a good job on GI Joe (visually and action-wise). Of course, though, the fact that the studio delayed that film also concerns me. On the plus side, again, it does seem that he has respect for source material and he’s very young for a film director, which means that he probably knows his MOTU. I mean, going by interviews, it seems that he knows his GI Joe, too. He seems like a “cool dude” geek. But yeah, I’m not sure yet. This could either be a very good move or a very….shall we say questionable one.

The good thing about Jon Chu is that he’s very active on Twitter, answering questions quite frequently and offering updates. So at least we’ll be able to completely ambush him if he get’s the job.

Sorry, though, I'm not going to scream bloody murder just yet.

Also, I like the way the article mentions that it’s in "high gear" at Sony Pictures. I really think this could be it.
    Last edited by Krueger; July 30, 2012 at 08:09pm.

hey we did pressure with mass messages on facebook haha , it's something
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    hey we press with mass messages on facebook haha , it's something
    I find it funny how they directly referred to all the messages when they posted this news on Facebook.

This is the actual article from Deadline Hollywood:

Jon M. Chu is in talks to helm Masters Of The Universe, a live-action film based on the signature Mattel toy line that is in high gear at Sony Pictures and Escape Artists.

Talks are just getting underway with Chu, who is in the middle of a 3D conversion on G.I. Joe: Retaliation, and is preparing to shoot a couple of new scenes for the film, which was pushed to a March 29, 2013 release by Paramount. The Masters film revolves around He-Man, a prince who transforms into a warrior and becomes the last hope for a magical world that has been ravaged by the sinister Skeletor.

The property has been around for years, as several studios tried to rectify the Cannon Films 1987 flopper that starred Dolph Lungdren as He-Man and Frank Langella as Skeletor. It has been more successful as an animated property. Escape Artists sparked to a strong script turned in by the writing team of Alex Litvak and Mike Finch. Litvak scripted The Three Musketeers and Five Against A Bullet, and Finch scripted Exclusively Yours. The scribes developed the script under the title Grayskull, but it has gone back to the Mattel brand.

Escape Artists’ partners Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal and Steve Tisch are producing. Chu is repped by WME and Principato-Young.
    I wouldn't worry about that synopsis, as it’s just the words of the author.
    Last edited by Krueger; July 30, 2012 at 08:25pm.

Deadline.com is covering it too. It's so impossible to tell based on a director's past works to me. We'll see.

Not sure how I feel about this. I think it would have been more reassuring if it were an unknown. GI Joe 2 looks better than the first, but that doesn't guarantee anything. Plus MOTU at the moment needs a movie now more than ever. Hopefully it can lead to more comics, toons and a retail toyline and other merchandise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I find it funny how they directly referred to all the messages when they posted this news on Facebook.
    power of the motu-fans !!! haha . I'm happy with the news beyond who is the director.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Oh HELL no. Look, I'm normally a "wait and see, give it a chance before you condemn it" but not this time. I'm sorry, but I just can't. The first 3 things that pop up on his IMDB page for what he's known for are

Step Up 3D

and

Man, I thought it was bad enough they got the GI Joe 2 director, but then to see all that other crap............ugh.......just ugh.
    Oh, come on! The man's doing G.I. Joe 2 and it looks superb! Besides, everyone have to start from the bottom before they reach the top.

Now I just hope Toyguru doesn't mess it up with his stupid fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    We might as well get Justin Bieber as Adam...
    Last edited by Grimbot; July 31, 2012 at 08:33am.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

Actually, the only good to come out this would be the toys. I think it will help MotUClassics, or at least give Mattel more of a reason to keep it around. Toyguru has also stated several times that we would only see a Classics Castle Grayskull in a movie year! So, here comes a movie year!

Yeah, I think Mattel could make two different Grayskulls: one for classics and one based on the new movie design.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Actually, the only good to come out this would be the toys. I think it will help MotUClassics, or at least give Mattel more of a reason to keep it around. Toyguru has also stated several times that we would only see a Classics Castle Grayskull in a movie year! So, here comes a movie year!

Yeah, I think Mattel could make two different Grayskulls: one for classics and one based on the new movie design.
    I dunno. Mattel couldn't handle a toyline when they had a cartoon and comic book on the market and they're currently struggling to market toward adult collectors... would a movie even justify toys to Mattel executives? And before I'm accused of being a cynic, consider the facts, and realize that I'm being a realist.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

Court Magician
    I am happy to see this news as it was already mentioned we definitely made some pressure on Escape Artists FB page By the way i mentioned on the other thread - don't be so psyched for some news to come (GI Joe and Bayformers might happen) I give this one a chance and believe me it is coming (it can never be worse than 1987 movie), at least i will finally see decent (visualization) movie of MOTU - even if it fails... That's how much i am desperate to see: Battlecat, Trap-Jaw, Tri-Clops, Skeletor, Adam (He-Man).

Oh by the way go and thank for the news on Escape Artists page if you already did an presure - like i did
    Last edited by J.D.; July 31, 2012 at 09:48am.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Admittedly, I don't know a lot about making movies, but if the script is strong, shouldn't that help keep the director from doing crazy stuff? I know the director has a strong hand, but if we consider G.I. Joe for example, the basic story of the first movie wasn't very good. And it's hard to polish a you-know-what!
    Not really, as Chu is obviously a director that does whatever the studio tells him, which is probably why he would be picked for a MOTU movie. He kneels down to you know what for Hollywood executives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk666 View Post
    , MORTAL KOMBAT: REBIRTH on YouTube (which later grew into the MORTAL KOMBAT: LEGACY series).
    Ummm, did you actually watch Legacy? It was terrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Tarantino?!?!?! for a He-Man movie?? I just CAN'T see it.
    The reason why I would love Tarantino to do it is because he does not give a crap what Hollywood executives tell him, he does what he wants to make sure the movie is good. Not to mention he is the one that can make long dialog scenes with style to it.

Shoot, you know what Mattel. Let me direct your He-Man movie!! I know the freaking characters, I know the different stories, and I would turn it into a Lord of the Rings type epic. The first movie would be directly against Skeletor and build up the characters. The second movie would see the freeing of the Snake-Men and their battle against He-Man and Skeletor. The third movie would bring in the Horde and would see the story end with an incredible climatic battle with Skeletor and He-Man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    G.I. Joe 2 would have gotten destroyed by Amazing Spider-Man. After what happened with Battleship, I don't blame them for moving it.
    That's because the movie was garbage, so why would anyone spend their money on it when they could see a really good movie instead?

Plus, they are converting it to 3D, which means they know the other way they are going to make money on the movie is by upping the cost of ticket prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    Oh, come on! The man's doing G.I. Joe 2 and it looks superb!
    It only looks superb compared to the first one. Compare the trailer to the trailers for Prometheus, Skyfall, The Dark Knight Rises, Django Unchained, The Hobbit, and The Avengers. GI Joe looks like garbage when compared to those trailers, but when you compare it to Rise of Cobra, it looks amazing.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Oh, come on! The man's doing G.I. Joe 2 and it looks superb! Besides, everyone have to start from the bottom before they reach the top.

Now I just hope Toyguru doesn't mess it up with his stupid fanfic.
    but pretty much what the guy has done IS dance movies or super long music videos... That doesn't inspire hope... Also the trailers of GI JOE 2 look a lot better than the first movie... (which isn't a huge accomplishment). also Spector will be added if TG has his way!

Do you see Justin in G.I. Joe 2? DO YOU?!

F*cks sake, and people label me as a mindless hater...
    No, but Bieber DOES look like a 200X Adam AND incredibly enough he's OK as an actor... and seeing that they have worked together before, it COULD be a possibility...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Step Up 3D

and

Just what I was thinking, so I decided to stroll on the forums to make sure I was reading an accurate article. This dude lost me at Beiber! Well, at least the movie has not been completely forgotten about.....I guess.

Step Up 3D

and

I'm psyched that the movie is finally moving forward, but this troubles me ... a lot. I have to say the GI Joe trailer looked nice, albeit a little too clean and stylized for my taste.

I still prefer John Woo to be honest.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

This is simple.

Channing Tatum as He-Man

Justin Bieber as Adam

Kristen Stewart as Teela

Jennifer Lawrence as blonde Teela

Former works include: A few dance movies, two Justin Bieber movies, GI.Joe, and something called "Killing Babies".

As a quick comparison, let's look at the directing work of Gary Goddard, who gained his first directing experience on the original live action MOTU movie. You can see he never directed a full-length movie either before or after his MOTU role.

Deepo's Undersea 3D Wondershow (short), 2005
    2002 Hershey's Really Big 3D Show (short), 2002
    1999 Poseidon's Fury: Escape from the Lost City (short), 1999
    Masters of the Universe, 1987

Mattel needs to do better. But can it?
    Last edited by AdultCollector; July 31, 2012 at 02:20pm.

What's weird is they're using a Hasbro director.

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    Former works include: A few dance movies, two Justin Bieber movies, GI.Joe, and something called "Killing Babies".

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/o...ylife/nope.jpg

As a quick comparison, let's look at the directing work of Gary Goddard, who gained his first directing experience on the original live action MOTU movie. You can see he never directed a full-length movie either before or after his MOTU role.

Deepo's Undersea 3D Wondershow (short), 2005
    2002 Hershey's Really Big 3D Show (short), 2002
    1999 Poseidon's Fury: Escape from the Lost City (short), 1999
    Masters of the Universe, 1987

Mattel needs to do better. But can it?
    Peter Jackson Directed LOTR films King Kong (which was long but I loved it) but then he ALSO directed that steaming pile "The Lovely Bones" a director with a great record can have blemishes as well a director with blemishes can do great. think of this Tom Hanks went from Bosom Buddies to Saving Private Ryan, Ron Howard went from being opie and richie cunningham to being one of the most respected directors around. Brett Ratner is generally looked down upon hard, but Red Dragon is seen as one of the better films in the hannibal lecter stories.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    This is simple.

Channing Tatum as He-Man
    Justin Bieber as Adam
    Kristen Stewart as Teela
    Oh wait, that's a group of actors. I thought you were listing types of trees.
    My MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE RE-DESIGN post: click it because you know you wanna

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    This is simple.

Channing Tatum as He-Man

Justin Bieber as Adam

Kristen Stewart as Teela

Oh look, Masters of the Universe - Breaking Dawn Pt II.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Search: "BREAKING DAWN PT 2 TRAILER REACTION!!" on YouTube.

It'll be a wait and see. If G.I. Joe Retaliation is pretty good, then Chu as a director for MOTU could be a good thing. No Michael Bay or that other horrible director that ruins video game movies - Uwe Bol (I think thats his name). There are many theories as to why the film was pushed to 2013 - 3D conversion, rewriting of Duke's supposed death, superhero films taking over the Summer, to even politics (terrorist organization taking over the White House in an election year).. but G.I. Joe #2 is looking solid and I'm keeping one positive eye on it with the other ever watchful.

With Chu potentially directing Motu, will Channing Tatum be cast as He-Man?
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Tatum might actually make for a good He-Man!