Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Live Action Masters of the Universe Targets Jon M. Chu

We might as well get Justin Bieber as Adam...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk666 View Post
    I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on his previous films. Recent case in point would be Kevin Tancharoen. His first movie was that FAME remake along with some work with Spears and Madonna. Then he turns around and with money out of his own pocket (and some friends pitching in) dropped that shocker of a short that no one saw coming, MORTAL KOMBAT: REBIRTH on YouTube (which later grew into the MORTAL KOMBAT: LEGACY series).

Guys like Tancharoen and Chu are examples of directors who want to do something else, something AWESOME, but they have to pay their dues first before studios will sign on the dotted line. Chu in interviews said he used to play with the Joe figures and acted out battles with them, so he at least knew the line going in (unlike Bay with TRANSFORMERS). And if he played with Joes, it's possible that he played with MOTU as well (which is highly probable as he was born in 1979).

Of course I'd much rather have Peter Jackson behind the camera for this one, but he's a little busy right now. Now if Guillermo del Toro could do it.......
    I'm of an open mind on Chu. When you are first coming up and making your name, you sometimes take on projects that are offered versus what you want to do. It SEEMS like after having a few modestly successful films (those step-up movies are still rolling out, so they must have been successful for what they were) he is moving towards projects that actually might be passionate about. First GI Joe, then He-man. I'm curious to see GI Joe 2 now (I never watched the first).

Plus the fact that he's not a big name means he can't do anything he wants. He can't go crazy like a Michael Bay would. He doesn't have the power to say "my way or the highway" like a Cristopher Nolan or Peter Jackson. If Jackson or Del Torro were directing and they wanted to significantly altar Prince Adam or Grayskull or whatever, they probably could. But this Chu guy - I don't think he has that clout yet. And that has been (up until Avengers) Marvel's plan - hire competent, but not superstar directors so that Marvel can really get the movie made they want.

I'm not down on this announcement at all, and I'm a big movie buff. I'm more worried that Mattel is behind this than I'm worried about Chu.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Oh HELL no. Look, I'm normally a "wait and see, give it a chance before you condemn it" but not this time. I'm sorry, but I just can't. The first 3 things that pop up on his IMDB page for what he's known for are

Step Up 2: The Streets
    Step Up 3D

and

Justin Beiber: Never Say Never

Man, I thought it was bad enough they got the GI Joe 2 director, but then to see all that other crap............ugh.......just ugh.
    Oh, come on! The man's doing G.I. Joe 2 and it looks superb! Besides, everyone have to start from the bottom before they reach the top.

Now I just hope Toyguru doesn't mess it up with his stupid fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    We might as well get Justin Bieber as Adam...
    Last edited by Grimbot; July 31, 2012 at 08:33am.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    G.I. Joe's second movie looks like it will be better than the first and more faithful to G.I Joe's past. I'm not quite sure I buy the delay in that movie being based only so they could do a 3-D conversation, which worries me slightly.
    I was really impressed with all the GI Joe Retaliation trailers, his devotion to GI Joe lore, and enthusiasm but I was smacked with disappointment when the movie got postponed and I've lost most interest in it now. I also don't buy the "3D excuse" but I am willing to give any director a "first try". Let's see how GI Joe 2 goes first before inking deals on MOTU and condemning this guys career of music videos.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

Actually, the only good to come out this would be the toys. I think it will help MotUClassics, or at least give Mattel more of a reason to keep it around. Toyguru has also stated several times that we would only see a Classics Castle Grayskull in a movie year! So, here comes a movie year!

Yeah, I think Mattel could make two different Grayskulls: one for classics and one based on the new movie design.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Actually, the only good to come out this would be the toys. I think it will help MotUClassics, or at least give Mattel more of a reason to keep it around. Toyguru has also stated several times that we would only see a Classics Castle Grayskull in a movie year! So, here comes a movie year!

Yeah, I think Mattel could make two different Grayskulls: one for classics and one based on the new movie design.
    I dunno. Mattel couldn't handle a toyline when they had a cartoon and comic book on the market and they're currently struggling to market toward adult collectors... would a movie even justify toys to Mattel executives? And before I'm accused of being a cynic, consider the facts, and realize that I'm being a realist.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

Court Magician
    I am happy to see this news as it was already mentioned we definitely made some pressure on Escape Artists FB page By the way i mentioned on the other thread - don't be so psyched for some news to come (GI Joe and Bayformers might happen) I give this one a chance and believe me it is coming (it can never be worse than 1987 movie), at least i will finally see decent (visualization) movie of MOTU - even if it fails... That's how much i am desperate to see: Battlecat, Trap-Jaw, Tri-Clops, Skeletor, Adam (He-Man).

Oh by the way go and thank for the news on Escape Artists page if you already did an presure - like i did
    Last edited by J.D.; July 31, 2012 at 09:48am.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Because it just looks down right terrible and Roadblock is a ninja commando. Roadblock is NOT a ninja commando. Plus, it is a sequel to one of the worst movies ever made, a movie that makes Transformers Revenge of the Fallen look like The Dark Knight. There is no way the movie can be anywhere near good except when compared to Rise of Cobra. Oh yeah, and the other reason I know it is bad is because they pushed it back a month before its release date by 9 months. That clearly shows they were banking on just it being named GI Joe and having Rock and Willis in there to make its money. If I wanted to, the delay gave me enough time to knock up my girlfriend so my baby could have its first disappointment.
    G.I. Joe 2 would have gotten destroyed by Amazing Spider-Man. After what happened with Battleship, I don't blame them for moving it.

Stephen Sommers directed the first movie. This guy is a different director with different goals. Why do you think that most of the original cast hasn't returned? That's like saying Incredible Hulk was bad because of Ang Lee's Hulk.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Oh HELL no. Look, I'm normally a "wait and see, give it a chance before you condemn it" but not this time. I'm sorry, but I just can't. The first 3 things that pop up on his IMDB page for what he's known for are

Step Up 3D

and

Man, I thought it was bad enough they got the GI Joe 2 director, but then to see all that other crap............ugh.......just ugh.
    Just what I was thinking, so I decided to stroll on the forums to make sure I was reading an accurate article. This dude lost me at Beiber! Well, at least the movie has not been completely forgotten about.....I guess.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EatTheseCrackers View Post
    Oh and the best part ... Mattel can KILL Classics because it's bringing a new movie line to stores so it's resources will be focused on both a sub par kid friendly line and a new Movie Masters 'Masters' collector line that is difficult to collect because of non-sensical pack outs and beloved CHASE/VARIANT figures.
    Toyguru has done both collector lines as well as retail lines for both Dark Knight Returns, Dark Knight Rises and Green Lantern. Since Mattel controls the property, MOTU will probably be the same, with Classics sold online and a 4" retail line. Our "Movie Masters" might get put on Classics bucks, so they could be used in the line.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

I haven't seen any of his "films" but from what I've seen of JOE 2, I have hope. He seems to respect the source material of JOE in his interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I wouldn't mind Channing Tatum as He-Man.
    Prince Adam why not but not He-Man. It should be wrestler like Dolph Ziggler. And the Rock as Skeletor

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Admittedly, I don't know a lot about making movies, but if the script is strong, shouldn't that help keep the director from doing crazy stuff? I know the director has a strong hand, but if we consider G.I. Joe for example, the basic story of the first movie wasn't very good. And it's hard to polish a you-know-what!
    Not really, as Chu is obviously a director that does whatever the studio tells him, which is probably why he would be picked for a MOTU movie. He kneels down to you know what for Hollywood executives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk666 View Post
    , MORTAL KOMBAT: REBIRTH on YouTube (which later grew into the MORTAL KOMBAT: LEGACY series).
    Ummm, did you actually watch Legacy? It was terrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Tarantino?!?!?! for a He-Man movie?? I just CAN'T see it.
    The reason why I would love Tarantino to do it is because he does not give a crap what Hollywood executives tell him, he does what he wants to make sure the movie is good. Not to mention he is the one that can make long dialog scenes with style to it.

Shoot, you know what Mattel. Let me direct your He-Man movie!! I know the freaking characters, I know the different stories, and I would turn it into a Lord of the Rings type epic. The first movie would be directly against Skeletor and build up the characters. The second movie would see the freeing of the Snake-Men and their battle against He-Man and Skeletor. The third movie would bring in the Horde and would see the story end with an incredible climatic battle with Skeletor and He-Man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    G.I. Joe 2 would have gotten destroyed by Amazing Spider-Man. After what happened with Battleship, I don't blame them for moving it.
    That's because the movie was garbage, so why would anyone spend their money on it when they could see a really good movie instead?

Plus, they are converting it to 3D, which means they know the other way they are going to make money on the movie is by upping the cost of ticket prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    Oh, come on! The man's doing G.I. Joe 2 and it looks superb!
    It only looks superb compared to the first one. Compare the trailer to the trailers for Prometheus, Skyfall, The Dark Knight Rises, Django Unchained, The Hobbit, and The Avengers. GI Joe looks like garbage when compared to those trailers, but when you compare it to Rise of Cobra, it looks amazing.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Just some thoughts here. First off, I'm very glad that things with the MOTU movie is moving along. It's been a long time coming for some needed news. And 2ndly, as for the talks of having Jon M Chu for this project, I'm ok with having him take on the movie. Time will tell on how things turn out with him I think. Also like everyone else I would have liked other big name directors, like Peter Jackson for example to take the helm of director but obviously with a 2nd and 3rd Hobbit movie in the works that is not going to happen. But with that being said though, I'm very positive and optimistic about the MOTU movie turning out to be something special (hopefully). Special because of what today's movie technology can bring to a vast and wonderful world known as Eternia. As with any other movie like G.I. Joe 2, I will only pass judgement once that movie and MOTU movie are out in theaters. That's how I come about things and especially if I want to truly give an honest opinion about a movie

Enclosing at this point I have been very hungry for a new MOTU movie. I've been waiting "forever". Feels like forever. Bring on MOTU....

LONG LIVE MOTU/MOTUC'S

Because it just looks down right terrible and Roadblock is a ninja commando. Roadblock is NOT a ninja commando. Plus, it is a sequel to one of the worst movies ever made, a movie that makes Transformers Revenge of the Fallen look like The Dark Knight. There is no way the movie can be anywhere near good except when compared to Rise of Cobra. Oh yeah, and the other reason I know it is bad is because they pushed it back a month before its release date by 9 months. That clearly shows they were banking on just it being named GI Joe and having Rock and Willis in there to make its money. If I wanted to, the delay gave me enough time to knock up my girlfriend so my baby could have its first disappointment.
    Well, wouldn't that mean that Stephen Sommers ruined it? Chu has to follow a storyline that was already set in place...
    I'm not defending Chu and I don't think he's the right choice for this...but he certainly didn't ruin it...it was ruined when it was handed to him.

Now...what remains to be seen is if he can actually get the turd all polished up.
    It does look better than the first...but still not great. (But it's definitely not hard to look good when it's based on the first film.)

One thing a lot of people are forgetting is the producers behind this project, Escape Artists Entertainment. They have produced some incredibly strong films in the past. Seriously, go and look at what they've done since they were founded. There are a couple of questionable films, but on the whole it makes for a very strong read. MOTU will be new territory for them, for sure, but the fact that the Deadline Hollywood article says they “Sparked to a strong script turned in by the writing team of Alex Litvak and Mike Finch” fills me with hope.

If you listen to that audio interview I posted with one of the producers, Todd Black, in the other thread he says that they basically just keep on going over the script again and again until they feel it’s good enough. He also said they only ever work with one or two writers to keep focus. The script has been in development since April 2010, and Litvak said in a recent audio interview that he only recently handed in another draft to Sony. So they’ve been putting this thing together for a very long time. It’s clearly not something that was written on the back of a piece of toilet paper in one day.

And Kain, I don't know for the life of me why you said Chu "ruined GI Joe". I find that a very strange comment for a whole host of reasons.

YES! YES! YES! Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    There are only four directors that should be allowed to touch MOTU. Peter Jackson, Quentin Tarantino, Joss Whedon, or Chris Nolan. Jon Chu wrecked GI Joe, we do not need him to **** up MOTU..
    But...you haven't even seen GI Joe 2.

I swear, the internet is an endless source of entertainment, if only for the irrationality.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Oh, come on! The man's doing G.I. Joe 2 and it looks superb! Besides, everyone have to start from the bottom before they reach the top.

Now I just hope Toyguru doesn't mess it up with his stupid fanfic.
    but pretty much what the guy has done IS dance movies or super long music videos... That doesn't inspire hope... Also the trailers of GI JOE 2 look a lot better than the first movie... (which isn't a huge accomplishment). also Spector will be added if TG has his way!

Do you see Justin in G.I. Joe 2? DO YOU?!

F*cks sake, and people label me as a mindless hater...
    No, but Bieber DOES look like a 200X Adam AND incredibly enough he's OK as an actor... and seeing that they have worked together before, it COULD be a possibility...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

Court Magician
    [QUOTE=Dr Kain;3088035]http://nooooooooooooooo.com/vader.jpg

Jon Chu wrecked GI Joe, we do not need him to **** up MOTU.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you serious? I didn't know Jon Chu already released GI Joe Movie - I Have to watch it like now. Was Peter Jackson known before LOTR, did Tarantino made any BIG budget movie (for about 200m.) so he could do whatever he can do with the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I wouldn't mind Channing Tatum as He-Man.
    So you've gone from preferring POP to outright hating MOTU?
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

I'm just putting this out there: They should hire the Four Horsemen as the principal designers for the art department.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Step Up 3D

and

I'm psyched that the movie is finally moving forward, but this troubles me ... a lot. I have to say the GI Joe trailer looked nice, albeit a little too clean and stylized for my taste.

I still prefer John Woo to be honest.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

This is simple.

Channing Tatum as He-Man

Justin Bieber as Adam

Kristen Stewart as Teela

Jennifer Lawrence as blonde Teela

Golems for 2016! AdultCollector's Avatar
    Former works include: A few dance movies, two Justin Bieber movies, GI.Joe, and something called "Killing Babies".

As a quick comparison, let's look at the directing work of Gary Goddard, who gained his first directing experience on the original live action MOTU movie. You can see he never directed a full-length movie either before or after his MOTU role.

Deepo's Undersea 3D Wondershow (short), 2005
    2002 Hershey's Really Big 3D Show (short), 2002
    1999 Poseidon's Fury: Escape from the Lost City (short), 1999
    Masters of the Universe, 1987

Mattel needs to do better. But can it?
    Last edited by AdultCollector; July 31, 2012 at 02:20pm.

What's weird is they're using a Hasbro director.