Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Live Action Masters of the Universe Targets Jon M. Chu

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    Well, wouldn't that mean that Stephen Sommers ruined it? Chu has to follow a storyline that was already set in place...
    I'm not defending Chu and I don't think he's the right choice for this...but he certainly didn't ruin it...it was ruined when it was handed to him.

Now...what remains to be seen is if he can actually get the turd all polished up.
    It does look better than the first...but still not great. (But it's definitely not hard to look good when it's based on the first film.)
    But which storyline would that be??????
    And which would you prefer????

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    What's weird is they're using a Hasbro director.
    One unreleased movie hardly makes him a Hasbro director. Heck, Michael Bay made 3 awful movies for Hasbro and I wouldn't consider him a Hasbro director.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    Former works include: A few dance movies, two Justin Bieber movies, GI.Joe, and something called "Killing Babies".

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/o...ylife/nope.jpg

As a quick comparison, let's look at the directing work of Gary Goddard, who gained his first directing experience on the original live action MOTU movie. You can see he never directed a full-length movie either before or after his MOTU role.

Deepo's Undersea 3D Wondershow (short), 2005
    2002 Hershey's Really Big 3D Show (short), 2002
    1999 Poseidon's Fury: Escape from the Lost City (short), 1999
    Masters of the Universe, 1987

Mattel needs to do better. But can it?
    Peter Jackson Directed LOTR films King Kong (which was long but I loved it) but then he ALSO directed that steaming pile "The Lovely Bones" a director with a great record can have blemishes as well a director with blemishes can do great. think of this Tom Hanks went from Bosom Buddies to Saving Private Ryan, Ron Howard went from being opie and richie cunningham to being one of the most respected directors around. Brett Ratner is generally looked down upon hard, but Red Dragon is seen as one of the better films in the hannibal lecter stories.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I think people need to be slightly more realistic - we're not going to get an A-List big name director.

I'm fine with this choice - everyone deserves a chance - maybe MOTU will be his "big movie"

A bit of deja vu though reading all these reports on the net - I'm sure they all did a cut and paste job with all the other news reports about the MOTUC movie going back to 2005, John Woo, 2007-2008 Joel Silver/Jusin Marks, 2009-2010 John Stevenson )
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Peter Jackson Directed LOTR films King Kong (which was long but I loved it) but then he ALSO directed that steaming pile "The Lovely Bones" a director with a great record can have blemishes as well a director with blemishes can do great. think of this Tom Hanks went from Bosom Buddies to Saving Private Ryan, Ron Howard went from being opie and richie cunningham to being one of the most respected directors around. Brett Ratner is generally looked down upon hard, but Red Dragon is seen as one of the better films in the hannibal lecter stories.
    Well, I agree with everything except for the bit about Red Dragon. I'd say fair to middlin at best! (Manhunter was way better) I'm all for giving him a chance. He doesn't have much on his resume yet, and I'm willing to buy what is on his resume is mostly of the "paying his dues" sort. One thing I wonder, it press release says that the script the Predators guys worked on was developed under the name Grayskull. Does that mean that it still has it's roots in the Justin Marks draft? I finally got around to reading his script, and while it needed a bit of work, it seemed like it has tons of potential as a possible first or second draft.

I'm actually okay with this. Peter Jackson made Dead Alive which was horrible in my opinion. Sam Raimi made Evil Dead which while entertaining on a cult following level it's still a poorly made series. My point is that all great directors started off with a steaming pile under his foot. Chu is a huge fan of 80's cartoons and from what I have seen of GIJoe 2 it looks very promising. From what all I have read GIJoe 2 was pushed back due to the utter failure of Battleship. Paramount's decision to convert it to 3D along with wanting more Tatum Channing is what caused the delay. It doesn't have anything to do with Chu's directing from what I have read. I have high hopes he will do a good job with MotU.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

If John Chu directs MOTUC,instead of getting pulled back for a year to post convert to 3d, the excuse will be that it is stuck in Sparks, NV!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I just read all of the comments and i must ask something. Why are people thinking that this is reboot\remake or whatever from 1987 movie and comments like common Hollywood bring some ideas and don't remake just about everything? MOTU is much more than just 1987 movie

Nothing too new here, but DeVon Franklin was promoted and is still attached to oversee Masters of the Universe.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...nior-vp-356404

Quote Originally Posted by jerec350 View Post
    I'm actually okay with this. Peter Jackson made Dead Alive which was horrible in my opinion. Sam Raimi made Evil Dead which while entertaining on a cult following level it's still a poorly made series. My point is that all great directors started off with a steaming pile under his foot. Chu is a huge fan of 80's cartoons and from what I have seen of GIJoe 2 it looks very promising. From what all I have read GIJoe 2 was pushed back due to the utter failure of Battleship. Paramount's decision to convert it to 3D along with wanting more Tatum Channing is what caused the delay. It doesn't have anything to do with Chu's directing from what I have read. I have high hopes he will do a good job with MotU.
    I'm sorry, but both Jackson (The Frighteners, Heavenly Creatures) and Raimi (A Simple Plan, Evil Dead) did good movies before their big breakouts... Comparing Chu to Jackson and Raimi is nonsense...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    I just read all of the comments and i must ask something. Why are people thinking that this is reboot\remake or whatever from 1987 movie and comments like common Hollywood bring some ideas and don't remake just about everything? MOTU is much more than just 1987 movie
    A good portion of movie nerds know He-Man from the '87 movie. So, not having much knowledge of the property or the fact that there ever was a 2002 reboot cartoon, they think "Oh, it's a remake of that cheeseball action flick that Dolph Lundgren did after he appeared in Rocky 4!"
    Chances are more than half of the posters on that site have zero knowledge of MOTUC as the new He-Man toyline that's been going strong online since 2008. The person who wrote the article however, seems to know his stuff!

Could someone ask Jon Chu if he has a 2013 subscription, and pass along the sub page link?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Nothing too new here, but DeVon Franklin was promoted and is still attached to oversee Masters of the Universe.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...nior-vp-356404
    Good stuff. Thanks for posting. I have no doubt that he is a big reason why this time it could actually be happening. I don't know if anyone remembers back in 2008 whilst the rights were with Joel Silver and WB, but a story broke that no one at the studio really wanted to make MOTU, not having any interest in it. It seems that what WB needed was a Devon Franklin, a big gun who has shown nothing but interest in the property from day one. It bodes well.

Here's another article I just came across:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-r...b_1724967.html
    If you have a Queen Marlena cardback to sell, please let me know.

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=212100
    MOTUC for sale: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=212096
    200x for sale: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=213585
    I have a huge lot of Garbage Pail Kids (GPK) cards I'm also selling. PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    Here's another article I just came across:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-r...b_1724967.html
    Thanks. Some of those I actually agree with. I think that Prince Adam and He-Man will probably be played by the same guy, though. I would really like Thor, but he probably wouldn't do it because he is Thor. The younger Hemsworth would actually be a very good choice, as he's the right kind of age for the part.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Bosom Buddies is awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Olivia Munn does look like Evil-lyn. Huh. Mike Ryan put some thought behind that cast listing. He even cast Man-E-Faces. Cool.

I don't agree with most of the hist cast wish list, but Guy Pierce is usually a safe bet in any role!

Evil Overlord of Spandex CptSpandex's Avatar
    I won't get overly excited until something official has been announced. As someone already mentioned, this is deja vu. We've heard this before.

If we do get a movie, though, I think it would be great for the property. All I ask is that the director is respectful to the brand: find good writers, don't make a joke out of the property, hire actors that can act and represent the characters reasonably well (i.e. don't do something stupid like cast Tom Cruise as Man-At-Arms or Nicolas Cage as Skeletor), tell a compelling tale that is honest to the brand does not bite off more than it should (we don't need Skeletor, King Hiss, AND Hordak in the movie, there can be sequels), and for the love of God -- PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE -- do not cast skinny guys in roles meant for muscular men and cover it up with tights. Man-At-Arms is not a 130 pound weakling. Not that there is anything wrong with 130 pound weaklings, mind you.

We could use this as an opportunity to put it out there about MotUClassics. We could go to the talkback sections of the above articles on this movie news to bring up the Classics line.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior
    Here's my fantasy cast:
    He-man/Prince Adam: Unknown.
    Man-At-Arms: Jeff Bridges
    Teela: Also an unknown (can't think of anyone)
    Voice of Orko: Seth Green (since he does him on Robot Chicken)
    The Sorceress: Kate Blanchett
    Evil-lyn: Lana Parilla (the evil queen/Regina Mills in Once Upon a Time)

Hordak would have a cameo at the end. He would speak and then aim his gun arm at the screen and shoot it to show the credits, like in the opening of She-ra.

On the bright side, this guys choreography must be excellent to do those dance movies and GI Joe. The fight scenes in MOTU should come out looking epic. But the rest of the movie may suffer. Only time will tell. What's important is getting a movie right? I mean Green Lantern flopped, but they got a ton of merchandising and new toys and updates to old ones. If Scott's still in charge of MOTUC at the time, he will do wonders with the added budget he will be getting.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Simple, people are freaking idiots. They were complaining about Total Recall getting a new movie, whining about how they are doing a remake when it is a new adaptation of the original novel. Same goes for the recent Conan movie. Just because it shares a similar title does not make it a remake. The only movie that was titled as a prequel that can really be considered a remake due to how similar it is is The Thing.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I think people need to be slightly more realistic - we're not going to get an A-List big name director.

I'm fine with this choice - everyone deserves a chance - maybe MOTU will be his "big movie"
    This!

I do not see what's a big fuss about the director choice... It's hardly that the director himself will make or brake the movie... Studio input, Mattel, script, producers, budget, EFX company, overall excitement for the project, etc. So many things that might go either splendidly right or terribly wrong... And we never saw how John would do big action movie, but judging by G.I. Joe 2, guy can do action!

Think of it this way: "Prometheus" looked like it would be THE MOVIE to end all SF movies, and ended up as a very disappointing and uninspired movie, despite the fact Ridley Scot directed it or they had the budget or the connection to Alien universe and what not... On the other hand District 9 was praised as one of the best SF movies and was a surprise hit... Go figure... Basically, there are no rules in that business...

I just hope that they'll finally move forward with live action MOTU... Come on, people, do it already!!!
    I am more than MAN..., more than LIFE..., I AM A GOD!!! And now.. you.. will.. kneel... KNEEL!!!!

My toy collection

My Deviant Art

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Burtonnut View Post
    Here's my fantasy cast:
    He-man/Prince Adam: Unknown.
    Man-At-Arms: Jeff Bridges
    Teela: Also an unknown (can't think of anyone)
    Voice of Orko: Seth Green (since he does him on Robot Chicken)
    The Sorceress: Kate Blanchett
    Evil-lyn: Lana Parilla (the evil queen/Regina Mills in Once Upon a Time)

Hordak would have a cameo at the end. He would speak and then aim his gun arm at the screen and shoot it to show the credits, like in the opening of She-ra.
    Mine would be this:

He-Man: Jason Momoa
    Man-At-Arms: Sean Bean
    Teele: Emilia Clark
    Skeletor: Skars Skellengrad
    Evil-Lyn: Eva Green

I would probably use Jeff Bridges for Randor.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.