Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Live Action Masters of the Universe Targets Jon M. Chu

I want Jon Chu on motu movie He knows how to direct

Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

I agree. Think Gi Joe looks great. This is a great clip. I cant wait to see what they do with Storm Shadow.

What Larry Hama (Marvel Comics/ godfather of the GI JOE story.) says about Retaliation. "I liked RETALIATION a lot. Vast improvement over ROC. Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow are much more up front, and the whole thing is a lot more character-driven. Not only is there no sinking ice, but the big finale involves physical action with people rather than choreography of CGI vehicles. The Rock is perfect as Roadblock, and Bruce Willis's take on Joe Colton is brill (he has some of the best lines.) There's no sign of Scarlett, but the actress who plays Lady Jaye is quite good. Jinx is amazing. Flint is kind of meh. Overall, the direction is terrific and crisp. I can tell what is going on all the time, and everything LOOKS great. Ninja fight sequence in the mountains is amazing, in that you never lose track of what is happening, and there's a ton of fast visual input. Is there stuff I didn't like? That would be quibbling. The positive outweighs the negative here. And I walked out feeling that the characters had been treated with respect."

scored tickets to an advance preview of joe, will be seeing this movie shortly, i know the whole time i'll be thinking masters!

It will obviously go down, but GI Joe is currently at 88% on Rotten Tomatoes. Basically, the general consensus, at least so far, is that its light years ahead of the first one. We'll see. I'll be seeing it at the weekend. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Never liked GI Joe. The first movie was pretty bad and I don't feel like seeing this one. I heard the character developement in this one was poor and that there were many plot holes. Exactly what we need for MOTU! Not sure the director is the right one to handle MOTU. I was expecting someone in the wake of Peter Jackson for such a rich mythos. Anyway, one never knows... We may end up with a surprisingly good movie...
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

Just saw the new GIJOE movie... so much better then the first (which i actually didn't hate either) I think this director is a fantastic choice for he, if he gets the 80's fun vibe in a modern way right as he did here the MOTU film is in wonderful hands!!!! ♥

Its not Avengers or even iron man , but to me it was on the level of thor or captain america in terms of fun pop corn movie.

his use of location was amazing in one scene in particular i could see it as eternia. loved his take on classic toy designs and his incorporation of different joe mythos, if he brings half of this to masters we are in good hands.

I know folks want people like Jackson but we are never going to get someone like that, he has done his mythos and already did a story of a style i doubt he'd want to return for a slightly different franchise, we want someone new and ready to prove himself with something like masters, and hopefully he has the skill to make it work, we want jackson after he shot Firghtners and ready to do something big by making LOTR, and i honestly believe thats what we got here with Chu

Widget
    What about Kevin Smith to direct? He is a uber geek at heart and after reading his Green Hornet take, I think he would be a good choice.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekko Hotvle View Post
    What about Kevin Smith to direct? He is a uber geek at heart and after reading his Green Hornet take, I think he would be a good choice.
    If you want MOTU to be chock full o childish jokes and innuendo. No thanks.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mekko Hotvle View Post
    listen to his podcast with paul dini, he knows nothing about He-man, its after his childhood,

plus he is retiring from directing after Clerks 3 and Hit somebody tv show to focus on podcasting and touring

I love smith, Red State was one of the best films of 2011, most wouldn't even recognize it as a smith film, but i dont think you could get him and i don't think he would be right for the role.

like i said above or best hope is not an established director , IMOA it is a young director looking to prove himself, and after seeing GIjoe 2 Chu has the chops and with the producers of AMazing spider-man behind him thats better news then we could hope for ...

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/03/27/...n-m-chu-update

Short interview with IGN. Not much said, just that they're in the early stages. Personally I think it would be great if we could get him on the RGD. Though maybe at a later date when they have an idea of where they want to head with the MOTU movie.

Also, I'm hearing good things about GI Joe 2 and I know we should always keep our expectations in check when it comes to a MOTU movie, but I'm a bit hopeful that this might be something I might enjoy. Not necessarily the epic that a lot of us want it to be, but a decent film and maybe even comparable to the MYP toon in terms of quality. Who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Well,
    sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but I just saw G.I. Joe 2 yesterday, and though as a movie it was better than the first one, and the action was there, it is pretty soulless TBH.
    I think it was just OK... some cool stuff but forgettable... If he indeed ends up directing the MOTU movie, it will be just OK... not what fans are expecting that's for sure...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

comicbookmovie.com:

Jon M. Chu was announced as the director for He-Man and The Master of the Universe back in July of last year but details on the project have been piecemeal ever since. The Sony and Escape Artist joint venture will see Chu at the helm of a contemporary take on the classic 80's toyline and cartoon series. The project is currently working off a script from Alex Litvak (Predators, The Three Musketeers) and Mike Finch (Predators, American Assassin, Hitman Reboot). Speaking to IGN during press for G.I. Joe: Retaliation, Chu updated the status of the project.

"We're still early but we're deep in experimenting. This is the most fun phase for me because we get to try everything we've ever wanted to try in [Masters of the Universe] and then we get to throwout all the things that don't work, which is most of it. [This allows us to know] what our tone is, where we're going to head with it and it's a very important phase because it shows [us] the direction we're going to go in the future. So we're very early, we don't know a lot yet other than that we're playing around and having a lot of fun."

It's pretty easy to imagine the concept Chu and co. are toying with while trying to hammer out a winning He-Man formula. Do we make Prince Adam a wimpy alter-ego? Do we need two separate actors to play Prince Adam and He-Man? How do we make it so that no one recognizes that Prince Adam and He-Man are the same person? Hopefully, the director can crack the code and deliver and entertaining fantasy spectacle. Hollywood Stock Exchange currently has G.I. Joe: Retaliation slotted for a $52M estimated opening weekend and a 4-week domestic gross of $136M which should please not only Paramount but also Sony.

Did just link to the video of that interview a couple of posts above yours, Firelfly. lol

Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post
    Well,
    sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but I just saw G.I. Joe 2 yesterday, and though as a movie it was better than the first one, and the action was there, it is pretty soulless TBH.
    I think it was just OK... some cool stuff but forgettable... If he indeed ends up directing the MOTU movie, it will be just OK... not what fans are expecting that's for sure...
    Fair enough you didn't like it, but I'm hearing differently from others and it seems to be getting some good reviews. Not saying it's great, but it seems to be a good action movie for many people.

Though like I said in my previous post, I don't think MOTU will be what everyone is truly hoping for, but if it's a decent and fun movie then I'll be happy with that.

I'll maybe give my own opinion on the movie later when I go see it myself. I'm hoping to see it next week.
    I hate you. So much.

I didn't say I didn't like it... it was just OK... yes, there are good reviews of it out there... and i think it has some memorable moments.... but my main issue is that if felt disjointed, like there wasn't a real story... but a series of stories that didn't belong with each other. It has good action, good elements for Joe fans, but unfortunately I think it takes itself too seriously at times and I while I enjoyed it, I don't think it's as fun as the first one... Not saying people should stay away from it, not at all... go watch it, but I fear the MOTU movie will be just mediocre
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

My bad. Didn't mean to misrepresent your post.
    I hate you. So much.

Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post
    I think it takes itself too seriously at times and I while I enjoyed it, I don't think it's as fun as the first one
    i found that to be a step in the right direction. in fact, i think it should have taken itself more seriously. a movie taking itself more seriously doesn't inherently remove fun. much of spielberg's filmography proves this.

the first joe movie was far too cheesy for me to find it fun.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Another Interview

This interview is (obviously) mainly about GI Joe, but the interviewer does ask some good He-Man-related questions at the end. Chu's last answer in particular is quite interesting. Here are the MOTU Q&As:

LYT: Are you still attached to Masters of the Universe?

JMC: Yeah. We're still in the beginning stages, designing a ton, and this is sort of the most fun phase, because we get to do a bunch of different designs of the world, and the costumes, and make a lot of mistakes, as much as we can, so we know where we shouldn't go, and where we should be headed, in terms of the tone and the look of the movie.

LYT: I know you probably can't tell us a lot about He-Man, but can you give us any indication if the tone will be closer to Filmation, or closer to the mini-comics, or closer to the bios on the current toys? Are you going for a campier tone like the cartoons, or something slightly more serious, do you think?

JMC: We're going for slightly more serious, and I wouldn't say "serious" as a dark tone you don't necessarily want He-Man to be in, but it's not campy. We're not going campy. It's sort of an origin story of how He-Man came to be, and to me that gives you a lot of opportunity to create real culture in this world. What is Eternia really like, what are the cultures, what are the languages they're speaking, what are Snake Men, what are Beast Men, what are all these things, and how do they exist in this world? So we're taking a real look at creating life on this planet, on this world, that hopefully will translate. And again, we're in a very early designing phase of it, the script is great, but we're still very early at figuring out exactly how theatrical we go, and how real we go, and how dark we can take it.

LYT: Do you think same actor for He-Man and Prince Adam, or different actors?

JMC: It's a little too early to tell. We're playing with the technique of how we'll actually pull that off.
    Here's the link for the whole interview: http://www.toplessrobot.com/2013/03/...e_he-man_g.php

Ok, if the movie translates onto screen even half of what he said in the second answer I'm sold, sold & SOLD!!!!! The interviewer was like, you gonna tell me something about this movie or Ima....Finally some working answers. Good work Krueger!
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

So, it based on Chu's last response, it sounds like he confirmed that he is doing the Prince Adam/He-Man alter-ego thing. I know Filmation fans will be happy, but for me that sucks. I really can't stand the whole Prince Adam thing mainly since it's such a rip-off of Shazam/Billy Batson. It's cheesey and lame and was thrown in by Filmation to make it more kid-friendly. I much prefer the ORIGINAL version of He-Man from the first mini-comics as a barbarian from a jungle tribe.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    So, it based on Chu's last response, it sounds like he confirmed that he is doing the Prince Adam/He-Man alter-ego thing. I know Filmation fans will be happy, but for me that sucks. I really can't stand the whole Prince Adam thing mainly since it's such a rip-off of Shazam/Billy Batson. It's cheesey and lame and was thrown in by Filmation to make it more kid-friendly. I much prefer the ORIGINAL version of He-Man from the first mini-comics as a barbarian from a jungle tribe.
    Which ironically is a rip-off of Conan...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by PIMPS ADAM View Post
    Ok, if the movie translates onto screen even half of what he said in the second answer I'm sold, sold & SOLD!!!!! The interviewer was like, you gonna tell me something about this movie or Ima....Finally some working answers. Good work Krueger!
    Yep, it’s about time we got a beefier answer out of him. I noticed that he mentions Snake-Men.....That could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I prefer tribal He-Man as well, but you have to admit, the Filmation transformation sequence is awesome
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

I am pretty satisfied with this. I like how he clarified "serious". He seems to be really interested in creating a rich world, though I'm not too keen on "Beast Men". I like my characters being unique, not part of a race. But I guess I can live with that

The transformation sequence (or at least the "By the Power of Grayskull") is quite possibly the most iconic part of MOTU. It will definitely be in the movie in some shape or form. Even the aborted and much maligned Justin Marks script had a transformation sequence that was pretty much spot on. Still, I'm not convinced they're going for the alter-ego angle. I still think Adam will "become" He-Man in a more metaphorical sense. I think the "He-Man" will be a mythological figure that Adam will be "destined" to become.