Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Live Action Masters of the Universe Targets Jon M. Chu

I really hope they keep the secret identity of HM/Adam. It's not just about fooling everyone and protecting his family. I think it's really portent to keep that duality. It's what grounds He-Man and gives him a connection to real life, albeit a privileged one. How can He-Man, the most powerful man in the universe possibly understand and appreciate the issues of people and the difference between good and evil. Without Adam, a real human being, He-Man would quickly turn into a super villain, even if his intentions were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I really hope they keep the secret identity of HM/Adam. It's not just about fooling everyone and protecting his family. I think it's really portent to keep that duality. It's what grounds He-Man and gives him a connection to real life, albeit a privileged one. How can He-Man, the most powerful man in the universe possibly understand and appreciate the issues of people and the difference between good and evil. Without Adam, a real human being, He-Man would quickly turn into a super villain, even if his intentions were good.
    i definitely think they should have prince adam, but i wouldn't mind at all if his secret identity is found out at some point during the first film. it just becomes rather tedious and cheesy when adam has to find an excuse to run off and find a place to change into he-man, just because teela or someone else unaware of the secret is around.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

interesting answers.

While the film is in an initial stage, if Gi joe works well, we will soon have the release date.
    apparently the script is finished .
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    interesting answers.

While the film is in an initial stage, if Gi joe works well, we will soon have the release date.
    apparently the script is finished .
    If GI Joe is a hit, then I will be very surprised if MOTU isn't Jon Chu's next film. Despite the fact that GI Joe 2 is getting ravaged by critics (as I knew it would) a lot of the comments that actual GI Joe fans are making (like on Hisstank.com) almost convince me that Chu is the man for the job. He seems to be a real "fanboy" at heart, which I think is quite important for making a film like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    If GI Joe is a hit, then I will be very surprised if MOTU isn't Jon Chu's next film. Despite the fact that GI Joe 2 is getting ravaged by critics (as I knew it would) a lot of the comments that actual GI Joe fans are making (like on Hisstank.com) almost convince me that Chu is the man for the job. He seems to be a real "fanboy" at heart, which I think is quite important for making a film like this.
    fanboy directors are good for those "OMG, it's [character or reference only fans would know]!!" moments. that's why many joe fans are liking the movie. they're letting their love of references and the "feel" of g.i. joe override their evaluation of the film by film making merits and criteria.

fanboy films can still succeed with critics, but only if the film displays some mastery of craft. i don't want a MOTU movie that just has the right "feel", or throws references at me, or tries to excuse cheesiness with an attitude of "well, what did you expect, shakespeare? it's based on a toyline and cartoon."
    i want a story, well told in the cinematic medium.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

To be a fly on the wall. I'd love to see all the designs.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Another interview with Jon M Chu

https://www.google.com.ar/url?sa=t&r...hA4wO5a25nZRmg

Now that youíve done G.I. Joe, it makes sense that youíre moving on to He-Man. Where are things at with the Grayskull movie youíre attached to direct?

Weíre working on Masters of the Universe right now. The script is awesome. I love it. Itís a really interesting approach Ė a really character-based approach, but still fun. But weíre still very early in the stages of design and things like that. Itís an important stage right now and the most fun. We get to make a lot of mistakes and throw everything against the wall so we can see what we shouldnít do and know what we need to have. We havenít even started casting yet or talking about how we can make this movie, so weíre in that beginning phase right now of, ďOkay, this can be a great movie.Ē Weíre trying to find that tone so we know how to proceed and actually go make the movie.

What sort of tone are you envisioning for the movie? Will it tend to be more fantastic and cartoon-like, or are you going for the grim-and-gritty spin on He-Man?

It definitely goes fantastic, because weíre in a lush, thick world ó but at the same time, there is a humanity to it. You want these characters to feel like they have flaws, and sometimes He-Man can be very theatrical and over-the-top in that way, and while we have some over-the-top stuff, He-Man himself and some of the other characters Ė like Man-at-Arms Ė they come from a very real place. Weíre looking at what it means to become a hero when you donít quite know how to yet. Those are some interesting themes weíre playing with in it. So yes, we go crazy, but at the same time we have some very human moments and stories that we serve throughout the film.

When do you think it will go into production? Are there any dates youíre counting down to with this one?

No, not right now Ė because weíre in the early stages. We donít have a start date, and you never know in this business what might be next. When itís ready and when itís right, thatís when Iíll know if itís ready to go.
    MOTULA.ORG

oh man...i so hope he's right about it being character driven. i don't want just another action schlockbuster.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

Thanks for the interview.

I just hope it gets off the ground. GI Joe 2 has made 123 million globally in its first weekend. I have a feeling Paramount are going to try and poach him for a third one. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. In a way, I wouldn't actually blame him if he went for GI Joe 3. He would likely be given more freedom to do what he wants. On the other hand Sony Pictures will view this success as a good sign. Firstly for the fact that it looks as though Jon Chu knows how to create a crowd-pleaser, and secondly that another 80s brand is doing well. MOTU was the biggest 80s brand of all, let's not forget that. I'm sure Sony is thinking of that.
    Last edited by Krueger; March 31, 2013 at 08:52pm.

my god, supposedly if G i Joe worked not well was bad for motu but now if G i joe works well is bad for motu too? is it never for motu? lol
    MOTULA.ORG

my god, supposedly if G i Joe worked not well was bad for motu but now if G i joe works well is bad for motu too? is it never for motu? lol
    I know, I know. You're right. Word is that Paramount is definitely going to push ahead with a third film. I have a feeling that Jon Chu is going to be very busy negotiating over the next few months. Whenever a director has a big hit, they are suddenly much more desirable than they were before.

definitely is good for motu the success of GI Joe, I think Sony should not waste time and already set a date for 2015 , time to act has come.

I can not believe we saw a Pope die, resign another one and now there's a new Pope and yet the film has not been confirmed .LOL
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Thanks for the interview.

I just hope it gets off the ground. GI Joe 2 has made 123 million globally in its first weekend. I have a feeling Paramount are going to try and poach him for a third one. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. In a way, I wouldn't actually blame him if he went for GI Joe 3. He would likely be given more freedom to do what he wants. On the other hand Sony Pictures will view this success as a good sign. Firstly for the fact that it looks as though Jon Chu knows how to create a crowd-pleaser, and secondly that another 80s brand is doing well. MOTU was the biggest 80s brand of all, let's not forget that. I'm sure Sony is thinking of that.
    I was just thinking about this! personally i kinda want them to treat each Joe movie with new cast of characters and a new director and each film have its own style, but i wouldn't mind chu coming back either

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/chan...universe-movie

Director Jon M. Chu has found his Prince Adam and he didn't have to look further than his own filmography. Channing Tatum, who worked with Chu on the first two STEP UP films as well as this year's G.I. JOE: RETALIATION, will play the one and only He-Man in the remake of MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE. That's right, not only will Tatum be forever linked with one 1980s childhood toy but two. Chu, whose G.I. JOE: RETALIATION faced a huge delay from Summer 2012 to March 2013, is hoping to take a contemporary spin on the MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE mythology, but keep all of the classic aspects of the cartoon intact.

Tatum obviously possesses the physical presence to portray He-Man and has proven the box office clout with his successes in theaters last year. While the original G.I. JOE movie was panned by fans, one of the bright spots was Tatum's take on Duke. With RETALIATION opening this weekend to $40 million, it seemed the ideal moment for the studio to capitalize on Chu and Tatum and reveal this next project.

The plot of the film has not been revealed until now. The press release indicates that the film is now officially titled MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE 3D and will tell the story of Prince Adam (Tatum), son of King Randor of Eternia. When the King is overthrown by his trusted advisor Skeletor, Prince Adam is cast off to the wastelands of the planet along with his sister Adora, his mentor Duncan, and his childhood friend Teela. Together, the siblings encounter a mythical sorceress who shows them the power of Castle Greyskull, the mystical center of the planet. With the Sword of Power, Adam will become He-Man, the Master of the Universe!

That's right people, Adora! That means that not only will MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE 3D feature He-Man, but She-Ra as well! It is not a stretch to imagine that they are going to go for a franchise with this movie and set up a possible spinoff for He-Man's sister. In keeping with recent comments from Chu, this is not going to be a cheezy cartoon adaptation but something darker, hopefully more like G.I. JOE: RETALIATION.

According to the studio press release, Channing Tatum had this to say about taking the iconic role:,

"It brings me back to my youth and I knew I had to be a part of getting this movie together. For every MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE fan out there, it felt like it was time and I wanted to make sure to protect it in the process."

Chu also added this:

"I never expected to connect on a human level to a MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE movie but I really plugged in emotionally. That alone, got me excited to see what we could do with the property. Chan is the ideal choice for the role and will show audiences that he has the power!"

No additional casting has been announced yet, but Chu has mentioned the posibility of bringing Dolph Lundgren back. While there may not be a direct way to tie the 1987 original with this new remake, theories have Lundgren playing King Randor.

Richard Wenk's draft of the screenplay is said to keep many of the classic characters intact and does not relocate the action from Eternia to our world as the original movie did. Keeping the movie a science fiction/fantasy epic will set it apart from other franchises. Chu is looking to shoot the film entirely in 3D with the potential to incorporate IMAX footage as well. All the more better to visualize Castle Greyskull and Snake Mountain on the big screen.

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE 3D starring Channing Tatum will open everywhere on April 1, 2015. Visit Deadline.com for more info and pics.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Court Magician
    LOL - This is the stupidest April fools ever. But i am dissapointed in some way...

it sounds so consistent ,maybe this is a prediction-LOL
    MOTULA.ORG

Kickin' It Old Skool! Alex The Kid's Avatar
    Please!... No more!... My heart can't take this kind of abuse!

Another Interview

Again, mainly about GI Joe, but this is what he has to say about MOTU:

Movies.com: How far into the process of making Masters of the Universe are you, and what is the aesthetic youíre going for given the fact that itís a purely fantasy-based world?

Chu: Itís harder for sure. Even doing G.I. Joe, we benefited from having a first movie completely. I could see what worked, what didnít work Ė there was history there. There were things to play off of Ė they created back stories that I could then pick from and move forward. For Masters of the Universe, one, itís a crazy idea. Two, there are ideas other things stole from Masters of the Universe, or Masters of the Universe stole from back in the day that have been made that didnít do great and didnít paint the world well. So we have a lot of obstacles in finding the tone and the world. But the best part of making a movie like that is that we canít fail in finding that world Ė so weíre doing everything we can to paint the picture, the tone, the feel and the environment. Make sure that the characters, colorwise, look right, right now. So weíre still early in the process, designing the heck out of it right now. Weíre making as many mistakes as we can so that we know where not to go.

Because when we make a mistake on a piece paper, thatís easy to erase and go back. We can even let it sit there for several months and then look back and go, what were we thinking? But itís a great script, and itís being worked on now again to update it, but the characters, weíve been designing version after version after version. We donít have a date yet, we donít have a lot of things, but weíre sort of showing the studio what this looks like, what it feels like. Weíre building languages. Weíre building a world, and so thatís really exciting to me. And the key to that to me is that itís not theatrical; like in G.I. Joe world, it is a farce, and we get to play and have fun with that. But in the He-Man world, it is an operatic feel, there is a passion that you have to feel in their relationships. Itís not just funny, spoofy stuff, and I donít think you can be tongue-in-cheek so much that it loses that impact. So itís a lot more tough to go in that direction where weíre not making fun of it, but weíre actually in it.
    Full interview: http://www.movies.com/movie-news/jon...&wssaffid=news

I must recognize bring motu to the big screen should be a challenge, I mean well done, a whole new and awesome world never really explored in a live action film.

I think they must look Thor, John Carter, The Chronicles of riddik (aesthetically speaking)
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; April 1, 2013 at 10:58pm.
    MOTULA.ORG

http://www.independent.ie/woman/cele...-29172529.html

You get to do 20 different versions, or way more than 20 versions, of He-Man, what the Castle of Grayskull looks like
    Jon, who is a big fan of the He-Man franchise
    ಠ_ಠ
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

I asked to Escape Artist on the facebook page about set a date for the movie and they responded-LOL.

Sony sets the release date, it's not up to us. Thanks for your patience and enthusiasm!
    come on guys go to Sony facebook page to ask-LOL

Edited:

on sony FB page can not create your own post, you must use one created for them.

using this theme (pictured) and ask for the movie https://www.facebook.com/SonyPictures
    578041_10151336536706931_1727961122_n.jpg
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; April 3, 2013 at 07:41pm.
    MOTULA.ORG

I asked to Escape Artist on the facebook page about set a date for the movie and they responded-LOL.
    I just saw it. Nice work. The perseverance paid off. We need to bug Devon Franklin on Twitter. He's occasionally given some answers.

Whoa, "Castle of Grayskull?" Umm, what? What kind of fan ever called the fortress of mystery and power the "Castle of Grayskull?" What the what?

That throws up some seriously red flags. Very, very red flags.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I think you are reading to much into that. And techincally it is the Castle of Grayskull (i.e. King Grayskull). Could be a typo. This article is on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Whoa, "Castle of Grayskull?" Umm, what? What kind of fan ever called the fortress of mystery and power the "Castle of Grayskull?" What the what?

That throws up some seriously red flags. Very, very red flags.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    I have always thought that the big teeth in the Jaw-Bridge were that of a PigMan, maybe King Chomp??