Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Classics the Final Appearance of Many Characters?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Is Classics the Final Appearance of Many Characters?

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    We've been sold all this time on, "Well, buy these lesser wanted figures, and we'll get to the wanted ones" which may not ever happen now. It's definitely not happening as originally planned/promised.

They SHOULDN'T be making characters that aren't popular. We've done enough of this subsidizing of figures only a few want. If it isn't in demand enough to make pre-order sales, then it shouldn't be made.

It would be like if I went to McDonalds and asked for a Big Mac and they say, "Sorry, if you want anything you have to buy a Filet-O-Fish today, we've got plenty of stuff to make Big Macs, but in order to keep it on the menu we have to sell enough Filet-O-Fish to make it worth carrying the Filet-O-Fish" instead of just taking it off the menu if enough people don't buy it.

It's how every other company works. MattyCollector has done everything the opposite of how a normal business works, and it didn't turn out to be innovative - it turned into this mess we have now.

If people don't want the product, then don't produce it. You produce the product the majority of your customers want. The spell is over - people will no longer pay for figures they don't want in hopes of getting the ones they do, the BEST case scenario right now is getting 2013 going, and MAYBE getting 2014, and then it will be at most a few figures a year as one-offs or conventions. The end is neigh - and I know I'm kicking myself for believing that we'd ever get to the characters I most desire and buying ones I could have easily left unbought because I was promised they would get to them "in time".

If we've learned anything here, it's this.
    I wonder then, if Mattel starts thinking like this during the next go-around for MOTU, would this be the LAST appearance of certain characters? Going forward, would Mattel and the fans learn from this and only produce characters who sold a certain amount? We could have a very stripped down MOTU in the next incarnation. I'm talking from 1982-1985 characters from the vintage line. She-Ra would lose her friends because they didn't sell well enough and get phased into Eternia, while New Adventures would be forgotten altogether. Only the most popular mini-comic and 200X concepts would return.

I wonder if Mattel would see concepts and new characters like Spector as the bane of Classics, like they think hyper anime detail killed 200X?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I wonder if Mattel would see concepts and new characters like Spector as the bane of Classics, like they think hyper anime detail killed 200X?
    I don't think it's new characters or concept characters that were the problem, just the generally awful concept/new characters we were presented with. Mighty Spector (I was fine with him except for the spade)? Cy-Chop? Fearless Photog? Vy-Kron? A significant number of fans find them to simply be unappealing designs.

I think that was the problem more than anything.

The MYP series gave us quite a few new characters that have been welcomed with open arms. The Faceless One, Lord Dactus, Ceratus, Dekker, the redesigned Marzo was essentially a new character. Draego Man was a success because he looks neat and fits in.

Just my $0.02

Can't wait until the 60th anniversary.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

My guess is that Mattel will wait until the movie to start any new Motu lines. Anything produced then will be based on the movie. The line would probably only consist of the few core characters who actually make it into the movie. Should the movie be successfull and Mattel decide to make a new cartoon that one would probably have a much smaller cast as well. Similar to recent Transformers or G.I. Joe cartoons that never had the same huge cast like their 80s counterparts but were mostly based on a small core group with some supporting appereances thrown in here and there. So yes I do believe future lines will rely a lot more on the core characters and will see very few of the lesser known Motu characters.
    Wanna see whales in giant mechsuits protect mankind against evil aliens?
    Check out: http://mechawhales.com/

Collectible figures available from: http://www.deepfriedfigures.com/

My 3D printed action figures: http://www.hauke-scheer.de/

Heroic Warrior
    Personally, I don`t want several incarnations of newer characters. When I think of MOTU, characters like MAA, Trap Jaw, Spikor & Mekaneck comes to my mind first, those are the characters that define MOTU for me.

I like 200x & NA, but not so much, that I want multiple versions of them.

Yes, it likely is. It is also the final shot some characters have to be made as figures

The story has not moved forward via reviving existing minor characters or pulling characters from comics/minicomics and reintroducing them into the story via figures, but by creating brand new characters (for the most part). The 30th Anniversary seems to have been more about the story moving forward than a celebration of MOTU, imo. I am waiting to see the kill count in issue 3 to really get a good idea of what characters will likely never see MOTUC figure form (or only once) with the end of the line on the horizon.

I've really liked the concept characters and they've been swell as storyline figures for the times prior to the reign of Randor. I think the "historic" storyline has moved forward very well in that regards. The "current" time period has been so-so but there are A LOT of figures many of us have been expecting for the "current" events in the MOTUC story that just haven't been made yet. I really only think the ball was dropped with SMAA (though some would argue BG Evil-Lyn was a missed opportunity as a figure that moved the story forward) as he seems to be a 30th Anniversary "move the story forward" character more than anything else. I am fairly certain, and correct me if I am wrong, there wasn't a SMAA speculation and discussion thread that would have indicated a significant fan-demand for this character.

I am not diggin' the story progression for King He-Man, Spector, SLL, etc... but only because there are so many unreleased characters that I want to see in figure form and their role in the MOTUC story before the story progresses. Matty could've used existing characters to move the story forward, Garn could've become King He-Man's MAA after Clamp Champ. It would've been a two-for-one, make a minicomics character and move the story forward into the future. He never even had the chance to be popular and get a first figure let alone a final one. So in that regards, this was his final shot.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I love Mos Eisley Cantina BoShek's Avatar
    The later the figures were produced in the 80's the less popular they generally are. So going forward with the movie I would bet we would only see characters from 1982, 1983, 1984. 1985 and 1986 would have a few but not pushing it. Forget about any concept figures.

Kayo, Peakablue, Blast Attack, Demo Man and Castlegreyskull man ... Nice to know you.
    Please watch my videos!
    http://www.eaglekillerstudios.com

Let's be honest though, how many "Concept" characters do we really have?

The 30th line really doesn't count, as it was completely optional to buy, as was Vykron & He-Ro.

Other than the 30th line, all we've had that HAD to be bought (subs):

Previously unmade characters from media, so far: (probably much wanted)
    Shadow Weaver
    Goddess
    Shadow Beast
    Palace Guards
    Faceless One
    Carnivus
    Marzo
    Horde Prime
    Zodak

True Concepts, or unmade Vintage ideas: (possibly the unwanted ones)
    Demo-Man
    Vikor
    PD He-Man
    Star Sisters (which seems to be the major catalyst from both POP and non POP fans)

Not sure where Gygor & Megator fit in....

15 figures out of 85....are new MOTU FIGURES,
    At least 9 of those existed in media, and a few were actually wanted figure (Shadow Weaver for example)
    And only 6 figures were never in existence before, outside of a one off figure, or on paper.

That is what gets me about people complaing "too many" concept characters....

8 of the figures are outside the main sub, an add on sub, SDCC or something else.

The Star Sisters are what crawled up people, and started it, now the Foe Men, and come on, the Foe Men are much better than the Star Sisters.

But I will say this, the 3 packs should have been skipped, or done with wanted characters in a scene pack or something, not unknown or concept
    figures, that I do agree with, 2 packs should have probably been the limit. The Foe Men could have been accomplished by 2 2 packs, because the
    Wind Raider guy could have made up the second set. And the Stat Sisters could have seen individual releases or something, or....not been released
    at all.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; August 1, 2012 at 12:32pm.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The Star Sisters were in media in the 80's. They made appearances in the POP magazines and a quick, one-shot cameo in the Filmation cartoon. I would say they qualify for you "Previously unmade characters from media, so far: (probably much wanted)" group.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I agree the Star Sisters are less obscure then say Demo man and definitely better than Snake MAA. The Star Sister's aren't bad figures, really any more than any of the PoP group like Frosta, Netodda of Glimmer. It may not have helped their overall popularity around here though when after they got released there was this push to get 2nd, toy accurate versions made. I like them sister though, especially Tallstar.

But back on topic...

I think that Classics will be the final appearance of many characters, and I think the line is the best change many have of even being made. Not only do I doubt that PoP or NA figures will be made, I doubt that several of the more obscure vintage figures will be made either. And I doubt that we will see figures that fit this scale and look again either. A new toyline will probably only come about with some form of new media like a cartoon or movie, and I don't know if that line will share the MOTUC look. They may be a smaller scale.

Core characters like He-man, Skeletor, Man at arms and Teela are pretty safe to be made at some point, but even characters like Hordak or the Snake men are not a sure bet in a new line. It all depends on what the focus is. Mattel could always go the NA approach with a new line and only feature a couple of characters too, and have He-man off in some new place.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    WISHLIST: Lodar, Green and Purple demons, Gwildor, Blastar, Panther/Cat Men, Peekablue, Mermista, Prince Dakon, Tung Lashor, Rotar, Twistoid, Kayo, Vizar, Lizorr, Sagitar, Quakke, Mara (prototype), Lizard Man, Garth, Blackbeard, Gleedal, Gargons, Garn (mini-comic), Hawke, Fang-or, Great Black Wizard, Red Stripe, Granita, Brainwave, Contractor

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    Honestly, I think some people should lay off on the hatred of Photog, & saying he's not a really MOTU character, blah blah blah. 'Cause, he's been a part of the Mythos, sorta, for 25 or so years now.
    Does Galactus fart?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Let's be honest though, how many "Concept" characters do we really have?

The 30th line really doesn't count, as it was completely optional to buy, as was Vykron & He-Ro.

Other than the 30th line, all we've had that HAD to be bought (subs):

Previously unmade characters from media, so far: (probably much wanted)
    Shadow Weaver
    Goddess
    Shadow Beast
    Palace Guards
    Faceless One
    Carnivus
    Marzo
    Horde Prime
    Zodak

True Concepts, or unmade Vintage ideas: (possibly the unwanted ones)
    Demo-Man
    Vikor
    PD He-Man
    Star Sisters (which seems to be the major catalyst from both POP and non POP fans)

Not sure where Gygor & Megator fit in....

15 figures out of 85....are new MOTU FIGURES,
    At least 9 of those existed in media, and a few were actually wanted figure (Shadow Weaver for example)
    And only 6 figures were never in existence before, outside of a one off figure, or on paper.

That is what gets me about people complaing "too many" concept characters....

8 of the figures are outside the main sub, an add on sub, SDCC or something else.

The Star Sisters are what crawled up people, and started it, now the Foe Men, and come on, the Foe Men are much better than the Star Sisters.

But I will say this, the 3 packs should have been skipped, or done with wanted characters in a scene pack or something, not unknown or concept
    figures, that I do agree with, 2 packs should have probably been the limit. The Foe Men could have been accomplished by 2 2 packs, because the
    Wind Raider guy could have made up the second set. And the Stat Sisters could have seen individual releases or something, or....not been released
    at all.
    see to me 13 out of those 15 figures are crap. thats basically a whole years worth of figures i was mislead on. i bought the sub each year to support the line thinking i would getting CLASSICS. after all that is the name of the line only to be lied to and have this crap thrown in. i would gladly not have shadow weaver and sacrifice one good figure to not have 10 other crappy figures take the place of the classics characters i was told we would get.

I think Motuc is the LAST chance to see many Motu characters. With everthing going on and the possibility of never getting some of the filmation characters after waiting so long, it would be a bitter pill to swallow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    I hate to say it--but depending on how this is all handeled--we may not see a Motu 60th

I'm not sure how anyone could feel "mislead" when they showed this slide YEARS ago when talking about the future of Classics

motuc_slide-20jun2009.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I think Motuc is the LAST chance to see many Motu characters. With everthing going on and the possibility of never getting some of the filmation characters after waiting so long, it would be a bitter pill to swallow.

- - - Updated - - -

I hate to say it--but depending on how this is all handeled--we may not see a Motu 60th
    Why so glum chum? there's movement on the movie, there;s a comic series running if MOTU Classics dies after a VERY successful (albeit online only), Mattel will find another way to bring it back. More than likely a movie line is next up, if the movie does well there will be a toon and video games to follow, and that means more toys.

Here's the thing, when we were kids they put out new characters we got excited, two reasons it was a different animal back then we got new characters and begged for them to be in entertainment. we weren't playing catch up with a previous incarnation either. with classics or any line that comes out now, everyone wants to see their favourites, new characters are only wanted (en masse) if they appear in new media and become fan favourites. Online only line with nothing else, new characters are generally regarded as 'filler'. but when a new toon is ut and new characters are introduced PROPERLY, there will definitely be more demand for them andf toys will be welcomed with open arms for many.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    That's my big worry. Any future MOTU line will be less skewed towards fans and be more like 200X, with "core" characters churned out ad nauseum... Then we'll all be bleating "Remember the 'Classics' line? Oh for a return to those giddy heights"

Classics was the best chance to get everything and we (as in 'everyone': Mattel, fans, everyone) seem to have blown it.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

I think the concern lies not in MOTU going completely away, but in getting some of these characters from various medias that don't have much of a chance of appearing in a movie or new show. This has been the first chance to get Filmation characters made that many have wanted since the 80's. If a movie happens I am sure that we will get a He-man, Skeletor and a few other core characters, but other characters are more unlikely. I really doubt that we would see someone like Fangman or Shokati. Look at the transformers movies, 3 movies were released but Prowl never made an apperance, and he is one of the more popular "core" original Autobots.

Now what we could hope for is that if a movie and or other media is released is that they do these toys in the same scale/style of classics, and can occasionally "sneak in" Classics figures in the assortments. GI Joe has done this a few times. But I think that MOTUC is are best best to get Filmation, PoP and NA figures for sure.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    This is why I'm really bothered when people complain about PoP characters. I'm a big fan of both Motu AND PoP, but getting PoP in this line is infinitely more important to me. The reason for that is not because I like PoP a great deal more than Motu. Not at all. It's that I've wanted PoP characters as action figures for almost my entire life. For a lot of the existing Motu characters, Classics is either the second or third time an action figure will be made of them. And quite frankly, they may even see additional future releases. For PoP, this is it. If they don't get made in this line, there will be no action figure of them. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    I don't think it's new characters or concept characters that were the problem, just the generally awful concept/new characters we were presented with.
    This x a billion! Although I still see a lot of people who would throw out characters I like such as Illumina and Lodar too, so there's still no accounting for taste.

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    This x a billion! Although I still see a lot of people who would throw out characters I like such as Illumina and Lodar too, so there's still no accounting for taste.
    And there in lies the problem: I have no interest in Illumina, but am raving about the Fighting Foe Men! The difference is, I'm happy to see Illumina in the line because other fans want her and I welcome good figures whether they're 'vintage', 'new', 'concept' or otherwise.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    I surely hope I won't be seing new variations of Cy-chop, Mo-larr, Sir Laser Lot or the Fighting Foe Men for the next 30 years... or at least not until pretty much everyone else is done(and that would include the Twiggets or the Trollans lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    For a lot of the existing Motu characters, Classics is either the second or third time an action figure will be made of them. And quite frankly, they may even see additional future releases. For PoP, this is it. If they don't get made in this line, there will be no action figure of them. Ever.
    Not a lie was told. :/

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Why so glum chum? there's movement on the movie, there;s a comic series running if MOTU Classics dies after a VERY successful (albeit online only), Mattel will find another way to bring it back. More than likely a movie line is next up, if the movie does well there will be a toon and video games to follow, and that means more toys.

Here's the thing, when we were kids they put out new characters we got excited, two reasons it was a different animal back then we got new characters and begged for them to be in entertainment. we weren't playing catch up with a previous incarnation either. with classics or any line that comes out now, everyone wants to see their favourites, new characters are only wanted (en masse) if they appear in new media and become fan favourites. Online only line with nothing else, new characters are generally regarded as 'filler'. but when a new toon is ut and new characters are introduced PROPERLY, there will definitely be more demand for them andf toys will be welcomed with open arms for many.
    You do have a good point--what concerns me though, is Motu has a VERY loyal following of fans that from what I can tell is much smaller than Transformers or Starwars. If a movieis released you will bring Motu back into the collective conciousness of the public again, but when the fervor dies down, the hardcore fans will still be holding onto the proverbial bag. After 200x ended, I was bummed that the line ended and kinda basically done with the whole action figure thing. But, then classics came along and tugged on my heart strings and brought me back into the fold. What concerns me, is if the sub dies and theres an insane decision to cancel Motuc due to the sub failing even though there are plenty of other options, MANY of these same loyal fans will be alienated from the line for a LONG time, if not for good. So, if that happens, will Motu still manage to limp on for another 30 years, or will it slowly diminish away to be forgotten?
    Last edited by He-Kal; August 1, 2012 at 07:21pm.

Heroic Warrior Eternia LoreMaster's Avatar
    Sadly yes. Unless MOTU catches fire like it did in the 1980s this is our best chance to get some of these characters. As long as He Man is just a fond memory of a bunch of "80s babies" the likes of seeing Extendar, Rio Blast, Snout Spout, POP girls, and NA in a future toyline are slim to none. I say be thankful for what we already have and hope we continue getting more.