Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (8/15/2012)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (8/15/2012)

Greatrebellion.org joins the Q&A's!!!

greatrebellion.org NEW!!!

TGR Admins ask: Hi Matty, thanks for including TGR in Ask Matty! We really appreciate that. Given that MOTUC is going through very hard times, is there anything a small site but fairly large facebook community like ours can do to help out? We'd really love to do more to thank Toyguru, his crew and the Horsemen for the years of a
    wesome figures they gave us and help ensure we'll have many more to come.

Spreads the word! Without sub sales we can't continue these very small collector lines.

Rock.Vivien.5 asks Eldor is a concept character but is he considered as a must have? If 2013 and 2014 have no concept characters, I can't imagine a collection without him!

Eldor is a prototype character, not a concept character and we would give much more weight to prototype characters as needed to "complete the line".

MossyMan79 asks: For 5 days now I have been trying to sign up for the MOTU and DC subs. I get the same error message over and over again at the submit-order page. I see others have the same issue but no one is replying to this issue. Surely this has to be affecting the numbers at least some. Can you shed some light on when this will be fixed. I want to sign up!!

This issue has indeed been fixed

Jason.Lee.718 asks: Have you ever thought of doing a hot wheels MOTU line of the vehicles in the series? I thought about this after seeing the batman hotwheels line. I could see collectors and new fans going for these if do die cast talon fighters, wind raiders, landsharks, etc.

Right now there are not enough MOTU customers to justify this amount of tooling for 100% tool'd vehicles

DO4M asks: Has Mattel considered working with a 3rd party to make MOTUC Scale model kits of the MOTU vehicles like they did in the 80s with Monogram Models? (they would look great with the Fighting Foe Men)

A cool idea but no plans right now
    MOTULA.org

I would like to know that if you make characters such as Twistoid or Rotar, they would be considered as large scale figures, because of the accessories amount and if they will have some alternative to put them some legs.

There are many options open to us.We simply have not gotten there yet so this type of conversation hasn't taken place.

Do you consider characters like; Octavia, Scorpia, Icer, Strong-Arm, Batros, Dylamug, etc.as Filmation's heavy hitters that should be made as M.O.T.U.C. figures?

These are definitely some of the heavy hitters among others.

Looking at the result of what you did with Horde Prime (giving him a "human" form), one amazing figure and a great addition to the Evil Horde, have you considered to do the same with Light Hope?

A cool idea but we don't have a Light Hope figures planned right now so this type of conversation simply has not taken place.

Would you consider for 2014 a M.O.T.U.C. free sub (like the one you have for Watchmen?

We need to see how 2013 sells in before reviewing options for 2014.
    Preternia.com

Q: The Fighting Foe Men (and woman) have a huge amount of paint detail on their on the accessories and themselves. Is this one of those instances of the Horsemen overdoing the deco and it might be scaled back? Or now that the prices are higher we will get all those details assuming the sub reaches its minimum?

A: We are working much closer with them on how much paint can be applied so that the prototypes are closer to final product. How the FFM will wind up is yet to be seen. We are too far off to make a call on whether we will need to cost reduce deco or not to hit our price point.

Q: Assuming subs hit the minimum does the new perk of early access open the opportunity for you guys to put out more stuff outside the sub like larger Beasts or recoloring a Snake Men pack, and is there consideration for you guys to go in that direction?

A: We won’t be adding anything new to 2013 but will certainly look at this for 2014.

Q: I loved how you collected the first MOTUC DC comic and the Sir Laser Lot comic together for SDCC give aways. Can we look forward to any more of these mash-ups now that there are three digital firsts (MAA and Battle Cat) and a second issue coming out shortly?

A: Nothing planned right now but you never know!

Q: How cool do you think it is that Blade and Saurod have actually made videos of themselves asking to save the line? Do you guys have the rights to make their figures anyway?

A: Really awesome. We clearly owe them figures!!!!

Q: The concept and unmade characters have always been some of my favorites in the line, you had said you want to concentrate on vintage going forward is 2013/2014 pans out. Will you be able to possibly hit some concept items outside the sub or for exclusives (like Strobo)?

A: Based on the low interest in the sub, this is one category we may need to shy away from in favor of getting to more vintage figs. We will have way fewer slots in 2014 and will need to use each one wisely. Likely none will be concept figures.
    Infinite Hollywood

1. Now that we have Spikor, is there any chance for a MOTU hammer hand accessory in a future weapons pack? Spikor was seen with a hammer hand in the vintage Terror Claws Strike comic.

A cool idea but no plans right now.

2. If the MOTUC sub sales continue to be an issue going forward, does this mean we'll see more "cost efficient" figures, such as fan requested repaints like red Beastman?

No. It means we will concentrate on the vintage figures and the most fan demanded POP and NA/Filmation characters.

3. With the MOTUC line having it's difficulty, does this make something like the Mini Masters less of a possibility or more of one, given that the price on them would likely be less and more palpable to fan's wallets! We still really want these guys! There's a good demand for them and it's an easy sell so long as they stick to vintage characters and such that fans are dying for in this format.

That is a toss up. Doing an all new line of mini figures might be a way to keep MOTU going if 6": figures cost more to produce then fans will pay. Anything is possible.

(Not a MOTU question, but something that we might see for MOTUC)

4. We're starting to see more pre-order type things pop up on Mattycollector, such as the new DC figures and the BTTF hoverboard. Is this something we'll continue to see expand?

Yes, likely we will go more towards a build to order model and offer fewer skus going forward now that 6" figures cost more to produce then fans will pay.
    Elkkthunder's Toy Room

Are there any plans for 2013 figures after what we saw @ SDCC or everything is done until a movie year?

We don't have more to reveal right now.

Are there at all any changes that are planned for 2013 to ensure more main-line characters or is 2013 completely fixed?

2013 is fixed but we will make changes to 2014 now.

Of all the new figures shown @ SDCC was Ram-man the one that excited the team the most or is it something we have yet to see for 2013?

"Personally, for me the coolest fig was King He-Man. He just looks so flippin cool and his accessory (Battle Damaged Electronic Power Sword) is my favorite in the line so far. I love that he takes the brand "forward" into new areas. Oh, and he's Spector's boss, so that is cool too!"
    Kastor’s Korner

Kastor’s Korner: Netossa should be colored in metallics (blue and silver), as opposed to the blue and light blue already seen on Frosta, but it has been said that she can’t be changed now. How can paint not be changed given she is 6 months off, while Frosta (an October figure) was still getting final touches on her hair and cape, per ToyGuru?

Mattel: The paint deco is chosen by the Four Horsemen and we are doing with their deco.

Kastor’s Korner: Fans of Frosta wanted a translucent look for her cape after Toy Fair. The sculptor wanted both hair and cape to have this effect. Mattel appeared to choose just the hair based on what we saw at SDCC, which no one seems to want. Has there been a final decision yet? Fans would love to see her hair solid light-blue again like at Toy Fair.

Mattel: Her cape is not translucent.

Kastor’s Korner: Given how the Star Sisters– actual PoP characters– were received, why did you decide to show an even more obscure and expensive item of unproven characters like the Fighting Foe Men at such a crucial time like sub purchasing?

Mattel: We made the Fighting Foe Men because fans have been asking for the model kit drivers for years. This figure set was 100% due to fan requests and was not actually part of the original road map. We added it in due to fan requests for these figures!
    Hordak.de

1. Like you promised us, we’ve got so much MotU Merchandise this 30th anniversary year. Amazing! Thank you. But the birthday year is not over ;-) Can we expect something more, we do not know yet?

It all depends on what Classic Media licenses out.

2. Please tell us, how many legs are in the 50$ slot MotUC Item package? (questioned before the army builder pack info)

Four.

3. Dennis from Berlin: Is Gwildor on your Vintage road map? Okay, many fans do not like him, but he was in the film, in the comics… I made my 3 new subs for having all Vintage, Gwildor, too ;-)

Every vintage figure is/was on the roadmap but now that the 2013 sub only hit the bare min we have tossed out the roadmap.

4. How many non-sub MotUC items have you planned for 2013?

A handful.
    http://www.planeteternia.de/

How does Mattel want to bring new customers into the Masters toyline when Day-Of sales will be reduced to a bare minimum in 2013?

Most new customers are mainly interested in the top characters like He-Man and Skeletor who are available year round.

Why does Mattel offer 3-packs that include obscurities? Many collectors just ain't willing to subscribe anymore if they have to spend so much money on sets who cater to just a rather small hardcore-fan portion.

3 packs are offered only when the figures are a set of 3. Had we only offered say Tallstar as a single, fans would be asking for us to "complete" the Star Sisters and in the case of both SS and the FFM since they were a complete set of 3 it made way more sense to offer them all at once rather than as single releases and risk not getting to them all and not "completing the team" if you will.

Are there specific reasons behind adding repainted Clawful and Chief Carnivus weapons to the upcoming Weapons Pak? Are those weapons supposed to fit certain figures?

Yes, these were choices Mattel design made for the pack based on their personal preference.

Why ain't it economically feasible anymore to produce enough figures for both subscribers and non-subscribers? Back in 2009, the toyline performed perfectly fine without the need of subscriptions.

Because of the extreme low run of these figures we need to show guaranteed sales to management in order to justify the resources.

At this year's SDCC, we didn't hear anything about the Mini Masters that were shown last year. Do you have any plans for those or are they off the table?

We have not yet found a retail partner interested in these and currently do not have the resourcces to produce these for Mattycollector.com.
    MOTUClassics.Com

MOTUClassics.Com Asks: We know that Granamyr can’t stand on his own, but how tall/long is the figure from head to toe?

Over 30 inches.

MOTUClassics.Com Asks: Rattlor’s MO2K Armor was cut due to the paint apps needed on the figure, is there any plan to get that armor back out to collectors?

We hope to find a way some day.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The sites listed below are the sites who want to participate in the Q&A round-up in these threads and on the He-Man.org homepage news entry.
    Be sure to check out their sites! There's a lot there to see in addition to the Q&As.

http://www.planeteternia.de/
    http://www.figures.com/
    http://www.kastorskorner.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/hordak.de
    http://www.maitresdelunivers.org/
    http://www.infinitehollywood.com/
    http://www.he-man.de/
    ElkkThunders Toy Room
    MOTUClassics.com
    MOTULA.org
    http://www.preternia.com
    www.mintconditioncustom.com/
    greatrebellion.org NEW!!!

All other sites haven't gotten back to us yet about participating, or have asked not to be included which we completely understand and respect.
    So, please do not post the actual questions and answers from any site not listed above.
    But you are welcome to post a direct link to their Q&A, and discuss the info here in this thread.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 16, 2012 at 08:55am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Preternia - Cy-Chop Central!

What? Not enough MOTU fans for Hot Wheels die cast toys? The Basic Hot Wheels cars as MOTU vehicles would sell like mad, I know I would buy one of each, and I know with all the Knight Rider, A-Team, BTTF larger scale sold, I know MOTU Hot Wheels would do amazing.

We are working much closer with them on how much paint can be applied so that the prototypes are closer to final product. How the FFM will wind up is yet to be seen. We are too far off to make a call on whether we will need to cost reduce deco or not to hit our price point.
    So, the price increase has nothing to do with accessories and Deco then, like they said it was for? I'll be willing to bet even at $25 we lose paint and acc's, unlike what they said, and they will use the only "35% above" to justify it.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; August 15, 2012 at 07:02pm.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

@ "way fewer slots."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    @ "way fewer slots."
    I'll bet we get a flat 12 figure sub. Because eliminating the quarterlies will eliminate 4 slots and 6 figures or so.

If not, maybe with the other statement made, we will see a few out of sub figures, and a 6 slot sub.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; August 15, 2012 at 07:09pm.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Yes for Prototypes ?!?!

That means there is a good chance that Darius AND Mara are still part of the new/current roadmap.

Go MARA! GO MARA!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    What? Not enough MOTU fans for Hot Wheels die cast toys? The Basic Hot Wheels cars as MOTU vehicles would sell like mad, I know I would buy one of each, and I know with all the Knight Rider, A-Team, BTTF larger scale sold, I know MOTU Hot Wheels would do amazing.

So, the price increase has nothing to do with accessories and Deco then, like they said it was for? I'll be willing to bet even at $25 we lose paint and acc's, unlike what they said, and they will use the only "35% above" to justify it.
    Yeah another one of those things that Mattel said wouldn't hallen could potentially happen. The $25 price does not guarantee the paint apps which is very lame.

This is one of those "if you build it they will come" risk taking ventures that Mattel seems averse to currently on MOTU. It's been mentioned that Mattel has lost a great deal of faith in MOTU (one of its core and beloved brands) by not taking risks and I think there is some truth to this. I get that not every idea from a fan can or even should bear fruit, but some are no brainers and or just fun experiments to see what might sell and these cars seems like one of those. Too bad it may never happen. Eh... perhaps during a movie year.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Sounds like Blade and Saurod are high on the list!

Right now there are not enough MOTU customers to justify this amount of tooling for 100% tool'd vehicles
    Yeah, but aren't there enough hot wheels customers? I'm ignorant of it all but got the impression they buy anything, considering they bought an empty box for the Invisible Jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Yeah, but aren't there enough hot wheels customers? I'm ignorant of it all but got the impression they buy anything, considering they bought an empty box for the Invisible Jet.
    Hot Wheels hardcores will buy anything Hot Wheels....anything, and anyone that doesn't know about MOTUC, and that is a great amount of fans mind you, due to lack of advertising mainly....a Hot Wheels line of MOTU Vehicles years ago with a cross sell advertisement on the package would have alerted many retail buyers to the presence of MOTUC, and still would right now.

I still collect HW basic cars on a limited, I see something I like I buy it, if not, I leave it basis....MOTU Vehicles, in the basic line to start off....I would buy in a heartbeat. Even if it was one a year, I guarantee they would fly off the pegs, much like the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 and the A-Team van did, hell even the Delorean was a ***** to find after it initially came out, I wanted to buy my son one after I got mine, and none to be found.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

They didn't read the full question. They thought we were asking about vehicles for MOTUC, not HotWheels versions of them. We seriously need to compile a list of questions that were answered without (fully) being read and have a special RGD session just for those!

Also, I DO NOT LIKE them saying "The figures cost more than the fans are willing to pay." because that discounts the LARGE number of people who didn't subscribe due to the crappyness of Digital River and Mattycollector.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Also, I DO NOT LIKE them saying "The figures cost more than the fans are willing to pay." because that discounts the LARGE number of people who didn't subscribe due to the crappyness of Digital River and Mattycollector.
    Plus, apparently they DONT cost more than fans are willing to pay since we bought MORE than enough subs to keep the line going. We bought enough subs this year to warrant some mystery expansion of the sub next year, but too little to keep from gutting the sub two years from now? Gah?

I like how we were allowed about two days of relief before the doom and gloom began again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    They didn't read the full question. They thought we were asking about vehicles for MOTUC, not HotWheels versions of them. We seriously need to compile a list of questions that were answered without (fully) being read and have a special RGD session just for those!

Exactly! The price was not the breaking point for most people, it was honestly quickly ignored here and we are a pretty sizable population of their customers. By saying it is the price they are able to overlook their misdoings and the fact that they haven't done much to improve things on their end. It is easier to blame something rather than take credit for a mistake. Yes, $25 is crappy but not as bad as having to deal with poor customer service and not getting all of the figures you are supposedly guaranteed. The Fisto fiasco is the worst thing I have heard come out of MOTUC. I don't care if it is one person or 100, that never should've happened. And they stand by their claims that no one missed out on getting him. That is terribly worse than $25 a figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher of Madness View Post
    Plus, apparently they DONT cost more than fans are willing to pay since we bought MORE than enough subs to keep the line going. We bought enough subs this year to warrant some mystery expansion of the sub next year, but too little to keep from gutting the sub two years from now? Gah?

I like how we were allowed about two days of relief before the doom and gloom began again.
    Yeah dont blame the fans when you cant get a handle on digital river.

"We won’t be adding anything new to 2013 but will certainly look at this for 2014."

That puts a damper on many of the hopes for whatever the bonus surprise is

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Sounds like Blade and Saurod are high on the list!
    I really hope not personally. With all the main MOTU & POP left, the movie figures don't seem to me the most important. I know some want them, but I'd like to see the others come first.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher of Madness View Post

As he did several times here, you will heard Scott repeating that over and over and over in the future.

Basically, as the line tanks, he wants the blame to end up on the price increase. The more he mentions it, the more he thinks people will believe it. It's already being said so often as to be nauseating, and it's only going to get worse. I'm thinking of keeping a count.

- - - Updated - - -

I really hope not personally. With all the main MOTU & POP left, the movie figures don't seem to me the most important. I know some want them, but I'd like to see the others come first.
    They are "main" MOTU, if you mean "made in the vintage line". These are both characters that were classic MOTU vintage action figures.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I think Blade is essential, he's the coolest human bad guy in my opinion. Saurod is also a solid bad guy, I always liked his sparking mouth as a kid. I realize these movie figures aren't for everyone, but they are important. Now that the actors gave their time and support for the line, Mattel has to get to them soon

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    They are "main" MOTU, if you mean "made in the vintage line". These are both characters that were classic MOTU vintage action figures.
    No, I mean main as in the other comic and cartoon based toys, not the movie ones, which should have been a subline to MOTU, like NA was, even if it was only 3 figures.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

I really hate all of this backtracking AFTER the subs sale is over.

We were told that if the 2013 sub passed, then in 2014, they would try to get to almost all of the vintage figures so everyone can have a "complete collection". Now after the sub sale......which passed the minimum, we are told that we may potentially only get 6 figures next year and/or some sku's will be cut.

We were also told that the price increase was to cover paint detail and cut accessories, and now we're being told...."I don't know how much of the paint detail will make it into the final figure"

Unbelievable!!!
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

Quote Originally Posted by Wrytor View Post
    "We won’t be adding anything new to 2013 but will certainly look at this for 2014."

That puts a damper on many of the hopes for whatever the bonus surprise is
    I'm saying!

Hot Wheels hardcores will buy anything Hot Wheels....anything, and anyone that doesn't know about MOTUC, and that is a great amount of fans mind you, due to lack of advertising mainly....a Hot Wheels line of MOTU Vehicles years ago with a cross sell advertisement on the package would have alerted many retail buyers to the presence of MOTUC, and still would right now.

I still collect HW basic cars on a limited, I see something I like I buy it, if not, I leave it basis....MOTU Vehicles, in the basic line to start off....I would buy in a heartbeat. Even if it was one a year, I guarantee they would fly off the pegs, much like the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 and the A-Team van did, hell even the Delorean was a ***** to find after it initially came out, I wanted to buy my son one after I got mine, and none to be found.
    No doubt. I have been collecting Hot Wheels for 15+ years and we do buy most everything. If it is on a basic $1 card, then they will sell like crazy. Have you seen a KITT in the wild? They are doing a Mystery Machine and a couple of Angry Bird cars this year. There is no reason why the HW Brand could not make a couple MOTU First Editions. They have an entire line of Toy Story cars..all unique castings to look reminiscent of the different characters. It amazes me how stupid Mattel is to ignore MOTU and POP in both Hot Wheels and Barbie. They are owned by the same friggin' company for corns sake.

Quote Originally Posted by nato View Post
    I really hate all of this backtracking AFTER the subs sale is over.

We were told that if the 2013 sub passed, then in 2014, they would try to get to almost all of the vintage figures so everyone can have a "complete collection". Now after the sub sale......which passed the minimum, we are told that we may potentially only get 6 figures next year and/or some sku's will be cut.

We were also told that the price increase was to cover paint detail and cut accessories, and now we're being told...."I don't know how much of the paint detail will make it into the final figure"

Unbelievable!!!
    Youre telling me!

The main reasson I bought a sub. was to get those figures made in 2014!

I REALLY REALLY cannot belive this. It is shameful & unethical business practices. He should have just kept his mouth shut...which he appears to have a hard time doing unless its to talk up Spector and force his character into the MOUTC line. Also, SLL as the future MAA??!? The bad guys are SO taking over!