Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Mattel giving us black plastic and painting over it?

Hybrid View

Golems for 2016! AdultCollector's Avatar

Why is Mattel giving us black plastic and painting over it?

I've heard from several people that they discovered Vykron and Spikor were made with black plastic that was then painted over, rather than with plastic of the appropriate color. Can this be confirmed, and if true, can we be provided with an explanation as to why this change has occurred in Mattel's production methods when making MOTUC figures? I thought that by increasing the price of the figures, we'd be increasing the quality of the figures, not decreasing it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    I've heard from several people that they discovered Vykron and Spikor were made with black plastic that was then painted over, rather than with plastic of the appropriate color. Can this be confirmed, and if true, can we be provided with an explanation as to why this change has occurred in Mattel's production methods when making MOTUC figures? I thought that by increasing the price of the figures, we'd be increasing the quality of the figures, not decreasing it.
    I can only guess it might be a tooling issue with these particular figures, as in they have to share a tool with another piece that is not the color of the skin. I noticed that Vykron's arms are painted.
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!

Hmmm…Spikor being so dark, a dark base color makes sense. But Vykron…I haven't had any issues with my figure but it is certainly curious that they decided to use a dark plastic as the base for him as well.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I can only guess it might be a tooling issue with these particular figures, as in they have to share a tool with another piece that is not the color of the skin. I noticed that Vykron's arms are painted.
    You mean gloved hands ? Biceps (like Fisto) Or bracer wrists ?
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

LOOSE & INCOMPLETE UNNAMED ONE/GORPO FOR SALE !

I thought that by increasing the price of the figures, we'd be increasing the quality of the figures, not decreasing it.
    We know the price is not going up to increase quality. It's going up because the cost of labor and materials has gone up considerably. With the increased costs, I wouldn't be surprised to see higher prices and lower quality. Oil is up, Chinese labor is up, dollar is down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    You mean gloved hands ? Biceps (like Fisto) Or bracer wrists ?
    Shoulders and biceps are painted if I'm not mistaken.

We know the price is not going up to increase quality. It's going up because the cost of labor and materials has gone up considerably. With the increased costs, I wouldn't be surprised to see higher prices and lower quality. Oil is up, Chinese labor is up, dollar is down.

- - - Updated - - -

Shoulders and biceps are painted if I'm not mistaken.

I can understand about biceps, but Black Shoulders with painted skin tone ??? Are you sure ????

THAT is..... SICK !!!
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

I can understand about biceps, but Black Shoulders with painted skin tone ??? Are you sure ????

THAT is..... SICK !!!
    Pretty sure. I'd guess the shoulders, biceps and the hair/helmet piece share a tool. Maybe the 2 guns are on it as well.

Thighs and the ball-joints between the thigh and the waist look painted too, not positive on that.

Heroic Warrior
    Oil is up, Chinese labor is up, dollar is down.
    That's not true - at least the oil part. I keep reading people using that to justify price increases, and it's especially funny because "2008 prices" of oil were actually much higher. Oil has gone down considerably since then.

That said, sure, lots of things have gotten more expensive - but oil isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    That's not true - at least the oil part. I keep reading people using that to justify price increases, and it's especially funny because "2008 prices" of oil were actually much higher. Oil has gone down considerably since then.

That said, sure, lots of things have gotten more expensive - but oil isn't one of them.
    You're right, oil is down from the huge spike in '08, but you can see the overall trends:

Macrotrends.org_The_Dollar_Gold_and_Oil_Last_Five_Years.jpeg
    Last edited by NorthCoast; August 3, 2012 at 08:35am.

Heroic Warrior
    I thought that by increasing the price of the figures, we'd be increasing the quality of the figures, not decreasing it.
    The price increase doesn't come until next year, and therefore if there are any benefits to be gained, they wouldn't appear until next year's figures. Since costs have increased without prices increasing before now, maybe this is one of the ways they need to makeup the difference this year...

I have a MOSC collection, but I had noticed upon close inspection a couple days ago, something seemed off on him, but I thought it was me. Looked as if parts of him had a painted feel to them, but I thought maybe it was the texture of the plastic, I mean it's done really well if he is all painted, usually I can pick up on that, even in the package.

Looks like his biceps and his abs
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    The price increase doesn't come until next year, and therefore if there are any benefits to be gained, they wouldn't appear until next year's figures. Since costs have increased without prices increasing before now, maybe this is one of the ways they need to makeup the difference this year...
    a price increase has already came like 2 times. what do you mean?

Yeah, my Batros's biceps are painted. No damage to show the plastic underneath but it's pretty obviously painted.

Not jumping to Matty's aid here, but they've been doing this for years. Wundar's head being cast in black plastic is one example that springs to mind. Like Northcoast said, it's usually about the shared tooling that we're not privy to. That said, the paint apps are one of the most expensive parts of the production so I'm curious about it too.
    MOTUClassics.Com - Reviews, Release Schedule, Bios, & News.

Here are some quick pics showing the bad paint coverage on the shoulder joints. This is the case in point why molded color should always be used on joints....color coverage and wear. (I haven't even posed mine very much.) See also the black plastic inside the head hole to confirm that the head is molded in black.

Edit: Photos didn't post from my phone. See below.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

WAIT A MINUTE................. So you guys say SLL has painted body parts as well ( like forarms, thighs ETC) ???

wOw ! Considering the “Painted Skin Tones over X coloured plastic” is such a major & serious issue, shouldn’t this thread supposed to be sky rocketed with 99.99% unhappy customers /fans ? I know 9 pages isn’t small, but it seems to be very.... VERY “QUITE” for me ! Do people love Vykron so much….. So much that they don’t seem to bother about the painted tones OR what ????

TP He-Man “red” closed fist, Fisto “brown” biceps, “Black Hands & Legs” Spikor, “Black Hands & Legs” Vykron…………………. You need to address about this Scott !!

Trust Me, This Is Getting VERY SERIOUS !!!

WAIT A MINUTE................. So you guys say SLL has painted body parts as well ( like forarms, thighs ETC) ???
    Can anybody confirm this with a picture ?

wOw ! Considering the “Painted Skin Tones over X coloured plastic” is such a major & serious issue, shouldn’t this thread supposed to be sky rocketed with 99.99% unhappy customers?
    I guess consider me part of the 1% who (thankfully) hasn't been effected and isn't chiming in to say anything negative. I don't see the painted black plastic as an issue and neither of the figures in question that some seem up in arms about have problems.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I love the translucent green plastic on the weapons of this one.
    Attachment 78694Attachment 78695Attachment 78696Attachment 78697
    Is it just me, or does this one seem more like an unfinished figure taken from the assembly line?

I'll be willing to bet this is the final figure, just unpainted. The armor, loin cloth, chest, abs & head are color correct, yet we have black limbs, even the
    pins and joints are the correct color, what you can see of them.....which seems to be the new unwanted norm. And here I thought it was going to be
    reversed forearms, as a "design choice". I guess we'll see by the end of this month when the Snake Men make it to most of us who are buying them.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; September 2, 2012 at 12:33am.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    Here are some quick pics showing the bad paint coverage on the shoulder joints. This is the case in point why molded color should always be used on joints....color coverage and wear. (I haven't even posed mine very much.) See also the black plastic inside the head hole to confirm that the head is molded in black.
    Man those Vykron shoulders look bad! They've got a very bootleg looking quality to them.

Maybe their battle damaged appearance will be explained so I'll just "keep reading the bios" since it's all quiet on the Matty front.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post

Edit: Photos didn't post from my phone. See below.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u.../composite.jpg

Call me crazy, but that doesn't look nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. Joint rub is quite common across all sorts of toy lines (I have many a Spider-Man figure with visible red joints against his blue tights) and in most cases a hell of a lot worse than that pic.

Not saying it's a non-issue, because they've clearly had the capacity to avoid it in the past, but it's hardly line ending.

Heroic Warrior
    Like most complaints about this line, it's way overblown. My bigger complaint is that my Vyrkon's arms don't match his unpainted torso. But ever since I put him on my shelf, I haven't noticed it once.

People saying they should just cancel the line are being absolutely ridiculous. You'd seriously rather have nothing than something that's slightly less than perfect? That type of thinking is just irrational.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    Like most complaints about this line, it's way overblown. My bigger complaint is that my Vyrkon's arms don't match his unpainted torso. But ever since I put him on my shelf, I haven't noticed it once.

People saying they should just cancel the line are being absolutely ridiculous. You'd seriously rather have nothing than something that's slightly less than perfect? That type of thinking is just irrational.
    I agree. I buy almost two of everything...three vykrons and I don't think the black is that big of a deal. Ofcourse I haven't had any problems with it like some people, but its the same with every toy line. I just bought an evil dead neca figure and the whole elbow joint had the paint scraped off and showing almost clear plastic. Are we paying premium prices for these figures? Yes, but action figures are becoming ridiculously priced all around. Its hard to find any neca figure less than 15.99. Mattel might be making shortcuts when making these figures, but they are still the best compared to anything else on the market.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    So I think I have an idea about the black plastic. Maybe someone has already brought it up in the last 10 pages, I do not know. However, it seems like Mekaneck, Spikor, Vykron, and DB Skeletor all have their shoulders in black plastic. Do you think that because Mattel is so far behind on production of these they just started mass producing black colored pieces of various pieces like the shoulders just to speed up production and have them already molded for when the figures go into production? This way, it cuts down on time and they already have parts of the figure made?

I am just picturing a giant bin at the factory of black plastic shoulders.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    It would make sense considering how god awful thick and sloppy the paint on his skin is.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.