Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Mattel giving us black plastic and painting over it?

Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    BEST. QUESTION. EVER.

You need to post this over at the Matty forums!
    My hope is they're holding on to it because they have big plans in the future (movies....). But I also fear the kind of movie they'd put out/approve. Ugh. We'll wind up with a cross between Transformers Bay style and Back to the Future helmed by Spector.

Feel free to post for me on Matty if you feel so inclined. I won't set up a profile there (especially now that I am no longer a customer of theirs). If I thought they'd give us an honest answer, I might do it. But it's mostly PR nonsense I don't care to read.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Cheap black plastic is recycled plastic, it's not made to be cheaper, it just is....it's made from grinding up old bad runs of things and mixed with black color beads, it's often every color of plastic mixed together, which mainly turns out grayish, the color beads turn it deep black....it's cheaper, and good for buckets....but not figures.
    If that's the case then I guess we can expect these figures to start deteriorating in 20-30 years the way 80's MOTU figures are deteriorating now. And I was hoping I could have just one MOTU line that would last decades the way that most of Hasbro's and Kenner's products from the 80's have held up.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I'm wondering--is painting over plastic a normal practice for other companies,etc... I've always assumed the plastic was dyed whatever to be that color when being mixed. Just wondering if this is the exception to the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    If that's the case then I guess we can expect these figures to start deteriorating in 20-30 years the way 80's MOTU figures are deteriorating now. And I was hoping I could have just one MOTU line that would last decades the way that most of Hasbro's and Kenner's products from the 80's have held up.
    I don't actually mean the plastic itself, quality wise is cheap, it is much better than the 80's formulas....I meant that cheap was in price....but once you factor in painting, both in labor & materials, the cost is about the same, so it doesn't make sense, it's fully how suddenly Goddess & Snout Spouts defects are the least of everyone's worries, now that the colors these "Action" figures that now have to be statues to prevent chipping are getting out of hand, this is quite simply the worst thing to happen in Classics, because it's a far widespread problem spanning multiple figures.

But with that said, the ones that are now painted over the black plastic....good luck with those holding up 20-30 years, and still be fully painted, some of the pics I have seen of Vykron, look like he has already bee around for that long.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    I used to hate the Black Plastic Morbo® but I accepted it because it's a normal design choice!

I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCruel View Post
    I used to hate the Black Plastic Morbo® but I accepted it because it's a normal design choice!

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3568/blackmorbobox.jpg

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/112...oscomiclow.jpg
    That's awesome.

You know what though, it's just like the Creeping Horak from the Filmation episode "Curse of the Spellstone". I was thinking that before, and then saw your picture and had to comment. So the Black Plastic Morbo is from the same race as the Creeping Horak, or is it his son? Maybe the Creeping Horak has invaded China.

398px-Creeping_Horak.jpg

"unstoppable design choice"
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

*gasp*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!

This is the funniest thing I have EVER seen on this website. OMG!!!

[QUOTE=JoeyCruel;3117694]I used to hate the Black Plastic Morbo® but I accepted it because it's a normal design choice! [QUOTE]

Black Plastic Morbo - Unstoppable Design Choice
    Evil Master of Thinking!

Careful everyone, I hear Toyguru tearing his shirt into two.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Careful everyone, I hear Toyguru tearing his shirt into two.
    They should have done Spector with black plastic... oh wait, they already did and named it Deadpool.

Laser-Lot has it as well. I am canceling my credit card, therefore canceling my 2013 subs. I refuse to pay for such inferior products. I'll just get Ram Man and the remaining original MOTU for a complete collection and I'm done with MOTUC. I feel that many of us will follow my descision. Sorry Matty, it's your fault.
    Μπιστ Μαν, ανόητε τριχομούρη!

I am starting to think this is planned.

At which point did the design team sit down and say, "I got great idea, we'll get black plastic and paint over it and nobody will notice the difference". It doesn't make sense, does it!

I almost believe they want to kill the classic line before a movie line is released. They want us to buy cheap movie figures but we won't when there is superior line already established, so they start to reduce the quality of them to kill them off so we hunger after the newer property
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

Positive trades; Nightcraw

What sucks to me is that we will never Get replacements and we will have defected figures forever. Instead of making it right we will have nearly double digits of figures that will be defective and never have mint versions.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I don't actually mean the plastic itself, quality wise is cheap, it is much better than the 80's formulas....I meant that cheap was in price....but once you factor in painting, both in labor & materials, the cost is about the same, so it doesn't make sense...
    If this is true (that the black plastic isn't a big dollar savings) then I can tell you exactly why - laziness.

It's easier to just order a big load of black plastic and paint over it as needed than to sit and carefully order and figure out how much of each color you will need for a line (as I am sure they order those types of things in large lots based on many figures, perhaps even for a whole year of the line).

"Hey, instead of carefully planning the line, let's just order a bunch of generic black plastic and then we don't have to worry about planning or management and spend our time being snarky on the forums."

That's probably what it was more like, in that case.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    This Duke has reversed forearms.

Before
    http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...17/duke_01.jpg

After I fixed him.
    http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...7/dukearms.jpg

They were even "marked" incorrectly on the figure. Luckily, most people didn't notice but JOE is not immune. And just recently, I opened a Star Wars Battle Droid that had two left legs. However, Hasbro made it easy for me to send him in for a replacement unlike DR who makes any customer service interaction a 10 person hassle that ends with no customer satisfaction.
    I know John Warden mentioned that I think the Beachhead POC figure has reversed forearms too. No one can catch it on toys that small, but they see it, and yeah, they were upset, too.

This stuff does happen, for sure. But this isn't mass retail. The point is: for a short run with slim to no chance of a variant or re-issue, there really needs to be an increased level of scrutiny when reviewing prototypes before production on our "High Quality Adult Collector line". Why aren't the Four Horsemen reviewing prototypes before production? It's their sculpts. Who would know better than them.

Not for nothing, but not only have swapped limbs have been caught by the 4H, but limbs belonging to other CHARACTERS almost got swapped, but not for the 4H spotting them. That's not speculation either.

I love my toys, and I am coming to grips with how these toys have to be, and am grateful the right color are on them, but I don;'t get the contradictory approach:

Rattlor, DB Skeletor, Mekaneck, Vykron, Spikor: Paint paint paint!
    SLL, Frosta: You know what? Nah...

I think Mattel Design might need some "re-design".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    If this is true (that the black plastic isn't a big dollar savings) then I can tell you exactly why - laziness.

It's easier to just order a big load of black plastic and paint over it as needed than to sit and carefully order and figure out how much of each color you will need for a line (as I am sure they order those types of things in large lots based on many figures, perhaps even for a whole year of the line).

"Hey, instead of carefully planning the line, let's just order a bunch of generic black plastic and then we don't have to worry about planning or management and spend our time being snarky on the forums."

That's probably what it was more like, in that case.
    Well, I do get that. They couldn't stretch $20/toy anymore, and it's their job to maximize how those $20 toys are constructed. Forearms swapping are just mistakes. The painting issues were choices. If both were choices, then UGH....

I think they had the right idea with Rattlor. He lost armor but was painted well and needed all those apps. Then they decided to keep a shield Frosta never had AND paint it (even though it could have been an ice construct) but not paint the back of her outfit nor flesh tone on her face. The decisions we now see are something I need to speak to Ruben about in person.

Weapons can wind up later in a weapons pack. Figures cannot.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    I think Mattel Design might need some "re-design".
    Yeah, it's too bad there wasn't, say, a person who was like a manager, you know, of the brand, who could sort through these issues and work with the various parties (4H, Mattel-side design, suppliers, etc.) to solve some of these issues before they become actual problems.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    Yeah, it's too bad there wasn't, say, a person who was like a manager, you know, of the brand, who could sort through these issues and work with the various parties (4H, Mattel-side design, suppliers, etc.) to solve some of these issues before they become actual problems.
    Well, Scott puts the target on his own back coming onto these forums and justifying bad decisions, but I do applaud him going to bat for his team. He isn't a micromanager. He trusts Ruben to make the right call. I also think he sees everything with the curtain pulled back and understands reasoning for bad choices that we simply can't be privy to. Frustrating, but I get that. Scott can't be all things.

That said:

-Four Horsemen need to QC their own sculpts and check paint apps, part orientation, etc.
    -There needs to be a Ten Commandments of sorts by the fans that Mattel can hopefully adhere to (ex: Every female face at least must be painted flesh tone. Paint aps on the figure need to be complete, even at the expense of an additional weapon/armor. No painting at joints/limbs. Etc. Those kinds of things).
    -Mattel should understand that the prototype (while a prototype) are what the fans expect the toy to look like after making it's voyage through the vendor.
    -Look at the paint. Is white...WHITE? Sadly how many times have fans asked if Frosta is WHITE WHITE and she still came out dirty and gray-ish.
    -They need to end playing fast and loose with the term "fan" We are 'fans" and they are "fans". Well, we fans are also the "paying customers" and they are the "business", so when the line is in the "fans' hands", it is not in our hands, but theirs. It's their ball to drop, and Ruben and co. isn't off to a sound start.

I am pulling for them to work it out for 2013, but seriously, they have been given too many chances, as much as they pushed back lately against the complaints of many on the boards. Speaking for myself, I am not coming as a perfectionist fanboy. I am the buyer. And I would like my feedback valued.

I'm so sorry to inform you, Joey, but Morbo is actually GITD plastic painted black.

Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    At least the dragon has no joints that might cause major paint chipping...
    That Skeletor body is going right back in the box...
    Toothless Skelly's body will get another use soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I just received my Laser-Lot and since noone posted a pic that proved it:
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m.../sll-black.jpg

Yes Laser-Lot actually has it aswell. luckily this was the only spot with chipped paint. So far...
    He also doesn't have the back of his tights painted, either.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Career fail

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    Well, Scott puts the target on his own back coming onto these forums and justifying bad decisions, but I do applaud him going to bat for his team. He isn't a micromanager. He trusts Ruben to make the right call. I also think he sees everything with the curtain pulled back and understands reasoning for bad choices that we simply can't be privy to. Frustrating, but I get that. Scott can't be all things.
    No, BUT when you realize that a person on your team is continually making poor decisions (starting with the Sorceress' drums on till now), you correct them.

That's the thing that I think people forget. OK, he can't be expected to head off every issue before it happens. But when it does happen, it is his responsibility to take care of the issue and take steps to correct it.

And that's where the failure in management becomes apparent, especially now that he is actively throwing Ruben under the bus as the person responsible for these things.

A manager takes responsibility, he doesn't simply keep blaming his team for mistakes that he should have guided them through, especially once they become known and/or repeated issues.

Part of me really hopes that Ninjor (and whoever else is black) is painted black and has some other color underneath just to see a slew of 'give us black plastic' threads.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekk-ra View Post
    I'm so sorry to inform you, Joey, but Morbo is actually GITD plastic painted black.

No its actually black plastic painted black.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post
    Part of me really hopes that Ninjor (and whoever else is black) is painted black and has some other color underneath just to see a slew of 'give us black plastic' threads.
    Well you've entirely missed the point... which is strange because it has been well explained a number of times. On figures like Ninjor, black plastic makes sense because it is the base color. On figures like DB Skeletor this makes no sense because it is not the base color. When we say "no black plastic" what we are meaning to say is that we want figures cast in the color of plastic that is the primary color of the figure. So Beatman in orange, Mer-Man in green, Skeletor in blue, and Horde Prime in black, so that they are not painting over articulated partd which will chip and scratch and thus show an incorrect base color. So if they cast Ninjor in yellow people would be equally upset because then we would have yellow marks showing through when the paint inevitable chips and scratches at an articulation point.

Understand now?