Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Mattel giving us black plastic and painting over it?

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Besides, focusing on one single person is not going to help when the problem may well be systemic throughout Mattel. Even if Ruben did make such a decision, I doubt it was out of the blue. It's far more likely, with the story we saw about Mattel making its shareholders happy by cutting corners, that there was pressure from above to do something to cut costs and fatten Mattel's collective wallet. THe blastic may have been the better option compared with other alternatives; we simply don't know enough here to point a finger at anything but Mattel in general.
    I didn't blame a single person when I said "I'll continue to hold Ruben and "Design" accountable for the decision to cut cost by using black plastic." Continuing to just say "Mattel" keeps anyone from answering for this issue. Scott passed the message to "design" regarding our issues with painted plastic so we're just passing our message to design that we're not going to go sit down quietly while being overcharged for a cheaply made product. Had they kept the prices at $20, I could understand the switch to black plastic. Unfortunately, they raised prices to supposedly keep from losing paint applications, accessories, or cheaper plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Now if only this would help cease the constant cyber-harassment of those perceived to be in the wrong. And the greater issue in even harassing at all- in the end what difference will it make?
    Really? So now complaining about decisions made on items we're purchasing is "cyber-harassment" and not free speech? Sitting down in the corner quietly is giving them the green light to go even further with costing cutting measures. Why should we condone their actions by keeping our views to ourselves?

why would a handful of online rants about Ruben's ineptitude change a damn thing? I get the reasoning and perhaps in some ways even support various arguments, but we aren't going to get this guy fired, moved to another department, or even impart a slap on the wrist, so why fight Capital Hill, if you will?
    So are you saying we have no hope of making any difference with our feedback so we should just keep quiet and go along to get along? No thanks! In my view it is a defeatist attitude that deserves to be taken advantage of. And for the record, I never asked for anyone to be fired.
    Last edited by MasterCollector; October 9, 2012 at 02:53pm.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

I've finally worked out how to generate a poll on the topic of black plastic

Please vote if you have a moment.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm going to do a favor to all of those who can't stand the people (like me) who refuse to shut up and eat everything that Mattel puts out... I'm shutting up for good.

However, this decision will force me to stop collecting MOTUC. I've had it with all of this, it's not fun anymore and I just realized that I have better things to focus on.

But just before doing so I just have to say this:

Some of you guys should thank all the people who spoke and shout during the "Stinker" mess, because that's the reason why Mattel is accepting back your messed up Frostas, and giving away free gifts. You guys can bet on that.

MOTUC was my last hope on enjoying He-man, I just don't believe I will enjoy movies or other toy lines based on He-man... too bad!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    Really? So now complaining about decisions made on items we're purchasing is "cyber-harassment" and not free speech? Sitting down in the corner quietly is giving them the green light to go even further with costing cutting measures. Why should we condone their actions by keeping our views to ourselves?

So are you saying we have no hope of making any difference with our feedback so we should just keep quiet and go along to get along? No thanks! In my view it is a defeatist attitude that deserves to be taken advantage of. And for the record, I never asked for anyone to be fired.
    I am absolutely not saying that, MC. I respect healthy debate, calling wrongdoers to the carpet, and even a light lambasting when it's helpful in encouraging change. However, the problem is that these issues tend to start small and then bloat to mythic proportions very quickly, with all manner of finger pointing whether it makes sense or not. Spreading the word is great. Even when that word calls Mattel to the carpet for something they've done wrong. But often it quickly descends into a witch hunt and we need to be weary of that. Perhaps this is an extreme left of center analogy for what I see happening in this thread, but again, I'm sincerely scratching my head as to what further one hopes to accomplish through ranting about 'blasticgate'.

We've introduced the problem and- believe their promises or not- Mattel has made assurances they will resolve this. If they don't then I'm right there with you beating that drum soundly in Mattel's face until things are changed for the better. But at the moment I'm not sure what else we can accomplish. I've been wrong before though.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

We've introduced the problem and- believe their promises or not- Mattel has made assurances they will resolve this. If they don't then I'm right there with you beating that drum soundly in Mattel's face until things are changed for the better. But at the moment I'm not sure what else we can accomplish. I've been wrong before though.
    Yes, we've introduced the problem and Toyguru's response seemed somewhat vague. I have a 2013 Club Eternia subscription that I purchased with the mistaken belief that the price increase was implemented to avoid horrible cost cutting measures like painted figures that chip when you look at them.

I will continue to be critical until I see that my 2013 subscription isn't a bunch of recycled painted plastic junk. He supposedly said that they still had enough time to make sure Dekker avoided this issue. So IF we get Dekker and he is also painted junk, it will hit the fan.

Considering 6 months is too late to change anything about Snake Face, yet it is still enough time to completely change the color of Dekker leaves me scratching my head.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

But changing a design in the steel mold that already has been tooled is alot different than changing the color of plastic poured in said mold.
    Most Wanted Crita, Veena, EvilSeed, Prahvus, Sagitar, Calix, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Granita, Hawke, Hunga, Kittrina, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, and Ra-Jar.

Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    But changing a design in the steel mold that already has been tooled is alot different than changing the color of plastic poured in said mold.
    Why not just use the very same steel mold they used for Hordak?

U don't know what pas are in the same mold could be Hordak's feet and head or his cross bow or staff and not something that could be used for Snake Face.
    Most Wanted Crita, Veena, EvilSeed, Prahvus, Sagitar, Calix, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Granita, Hawke, Hunga, Kittrina, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, and Ra-Jar.

U don't know what pas are in the same mold could be Hordak's feet and head or his cross bow or staff and not something that could be used for Snake Face.
    The factory can simply melt down the parts we don't need, dye them black and reuse the "Blastic" for a Classics character that actually needs black plastic as its base.

Ninjor comes to mind.

Molds often have interchangeable parts that can be swapped out....it's done all the time, hence why we almost always get regular biceps, they just pop in that piece in the mold.
    If there's a new part, there's a new tooling that can be swapped with another in the mold cavities. Everything is not tooled together in one big ass mold, that would cost more than
    anything to have one giant mold for each figure. They don't even have single separate molds to make bucket lids, it's one mold, with interchangeable toolings for say a solid lid or an
    opening for a pour spout....same mold for the lid, but different toolings for each part of the lid.

All that would likely be needed is to swap out the section where the feet are in the molds for another set of feet....I mean, they had Castle Grayskullman samples with regular shoulders,
    they then changed out the shoulders for the Whiplash ones....not that hard to do....

I've working in Injection Molding plants, making many different things....this is always how it works, toys are no different.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; October 10, 2012 at 01:30am.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Molds often have interchangeable parts that can be swapped out....it's done all the time, hence why we almost always get regular biceps, they just pop in that piece in the mold.
    I assumed it was done somewhat like this. Recreating the same tooling in multiple molds made no sense to me.

So, that begs the question. Why can Dekker SUPPOSEDLY be saved from "Blastic" because 2 months is enough time to make changes, yet requesting Hordak feet on Snake Face 6 months prior to his release is too late? It couldn't be another contradiction from Scott & Friends, could it?

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    They won't make it for Dekker. They'll start with Mosquitor;-)
    Last edited by JimPansen; October 10, 2012 at 07:25am.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    I assumed it was done somewhat like this. Recreating the same tooling in multiple molds made no sense to me.

So, that begs the question. Why can Dekker SUPPOSEDLY be saved from "Blastic" because 2 months is enough time to make changes, yet requesting Hordak feet on Snake Face 6 months prior to his release is too late? It couldn't be another contradiction from Scott & Friends, could it?
    Because it's a cop out on their part, Sorceress was still getting refined 2 months before her release....it's all BS, they think everyone forgets things they've said in the past, and some do, because they get something new and shiny dangled in their faces.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    they think everyone forgets things they've said in the past, and some do, because they get something new and shiny dangled in their faces.
    Castle Grayskull, images of Rattlors armor, and a "We're sorry. AGAIN!" accessory come to mind.

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar

Are you goin' to NYCC? Please talk about the black plastic at the Mattypalooza panel!

Please can someone talks about the black plastic and ask "Who is the genius behind the black plastic idea?" ?
    Please take with you the worst chipped figure that you have!
    Show to the world the cheap figures that Mattel is selling!
    Pillory 'em in front of everybody!
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

This was already addressed @ PowerCon...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post
    This was already addressed @ PowerCon...
    Really? I can't find anythin' on the web about it...
    However and what's the response of Toy Guru?

Round 2, vote for

Ruben & design who translate the horsemens sculpt into a working toy chose to use the black plastic because Mattel was hit with cost increases mid 2012 for the raw material and chinese labor. since the figures were locked in at $20.00 they had to cut cost by using the black plastic which was a design dept choice. Now that they have seen how easy the paint chips off, so from Decker on no black plastic will be used.

that it was a "paint drying problem"... Which is not.
    I mean I understand the REASONS they were using the black plastic. Neutral base color, churning out lots of parts ahead of time. It's cheaper to produce and looks good for the bean counters.
    Sadly it's CRAP for the consumers. Requiring extra paint on moving parts, causing friction and paint chipping and making the toys seem like they are inferior to previous MOTUC, or made with lesser quality. Which could potentially translate to less customers for the next Sub... something that we cannot afford now. molding as many parts as possible in the appropriate color is the best solution for the consumers, but not for the bean counters
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Now that they have seen how easy the pain chips off from decker on no black plastic will be used.
    And they had to see it to understand that? Ah! Ah! Ah!
    Please some administrator can merge this thread with the black plastic thread?
    Now that I discovered that we already had an answer, just merge it!
    Thank you!

Round 2, vote for

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCruel View Post
    And they had to see it to understand that? Ah! Ah! Ah!
    Please some administrator can merge this thread with the black plastic thread?
    Now that I discovered that we already had an answer, just merge it!
    Thank you!
    Hang on bud ! It Ain't Over..... YET !

Scott has also said that he can't "Guarantee" about not using Black Plastic in the future ! So, we can "still" expect Black-Stick Dekker & Randor !
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

MOTUC Mini Comics, Sub Exclusive Maps & Castle Grayskull Exclusive Posters FOR SALE !

Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Hang on bud ! It Ain't Over..... YET !

Scott has also said that he can't "Guarantee" about not using Black Plastic in the future ! So, we can "still" expect Black-Stick Dekker & Randor !
    I know... I know...
    And I'll expect that a Granamyr detail will be like that:

Round 2, vote for

if this morbo continues i will stop with the motuc.. for SURE

Heroic Warrior
    They seem to be using blastic on a new Big Show figure. Wwe figures are sold at retail... And this one might even be a tru exclusive... Looks like it is becoming policy and not just because of the subscriptions.

Heroic Warrior
    Im kinda hoping Mattel uses blastic on Procrustus and Granamyr so I can boycott them since it's going to be an expensive month.