Thread: Why is Mattel giving us black plastic and painting over it?

Threaded View

I avoided this thread because I figured it would be nothing but a mud slinging contest between 'angry fans' and 'Mattel apologists', but I would be curious to know just how much money Mattel is saving on black painted plastic vs colored plastic. One is a 2 step process. Are we talking pennies per unit? 50 cents? 1 dollar?

Regardless of the strong feelings either side has, this line has proven 1 thing to me. Mattel will make it, and orgers will buy it. That is why you are here. If you're willing to drop $25 on an action figure (in a line that has been plagued with issues since inception) you know what you are getting into. Loose joints, improperly assembled, painted over plastic that wears at joints. At the end of the day, they are just toys. Poorly made toys. Don't expect any earth shattering changes on Mattel's end. They are about the bottom dollar.

If anything, this thread has made me glad I kept my MOTUC mint on card, and I'm no longer torn up about missing the sub. I have better things to spend my money on. This will be my last investment into Mattel's products, and when I'm done, I'll go back to searching for vintage figures.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; October 21, 2012 at 02:32am.