Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Mattel giving us black plastic and painting over it?

If you get frequent heartburn, you could just focus your attention on what is the best medicine to treat today's flare up: tums, rolaids, pepcid ac, whatever. And you might also struggle with ulcers, upset stomach, high blood pressure, etc.

Or you could take a step back and say, why do I keep getting heartburn? And is the heartburn related to the other problems I'm having? So you look for the root cause.

And for some, it is their belief that TG is a big part of the cause of not only the black paint fiasco, either directly or indirectly, but many of the other problems too. And even if he isn't the root problem (I saw Mattel management is), he does have his hands all most of the moving parts, and so a good hard look is in order.

In my opinion, it is better to root out the cause of the problem than to just treat the symptoms. And a discussion of the black plastic only is somewhat pointless because some other problem will just pop up in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    In my opinion, it is better to root out the cause of the problem than to just treat the symptoms. And a discussion of the black plastic only is somewhat pointless because some other problem will just pop up in its place.
    Post of the thread.

Hey Super 7, Snake Mountain rocks! Let's Kickstart it!

such is life

Black plastic painted over is bad and I don't want it anymore and when my figures chip I get mad and Scott sucks because he can't manage and don't even get me started on Ruben, the guys named after a sandwich and Digital River sucks because they won't help me with anything and shipped my toys to my old address after I moved and I never changed my address with them and Oh yeah my Snout Spout Snout cracks and my Goddess fell apart and let me tell you about Roboto BTW did you know my sub was canceled and I was charged 14 times because I impatiently clicked submit order 13 more times after my computer froze cause I want my figures NOW and everything sells out too fast and it sucked when Matty didn't have a sub cause figures sold out too quick but now I have a sub... so how do I cancel it because they are making me buy all the figures and I don't want all the figures and they never ever listen to customer criticism and this one time I heard Scott even kicked an 85 year old lady, robbed a charity Telethon at gunpoint and then stabbed a Unicorn in broad Daylight.....

We get it Matty has problems and a lot of them are valid. I'm also all for letting Matty know when there is a problem but that Unicorn that's dead...you guys keep on kicking it anyway. Why not focus on the petition thread and the pictures of the paint chipping thread to get the point across.

Another round of posters who think they know how the disgruntled should think and speak and act.....

There are happy threads elsewhere for those who don't like this one. If you don't like sandwiches don't go to Subway and complain about the lack of hamburgers. Talk about futility.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilestwarrior View Post
    Why not focus on the petition thread and the pictures of the paint chipping thread to get the point across.
    Because this is not the petition and pictures of the paint chipping thread, it's the "Why is Mattel giving us black plastic and painting over it" thread. Take the advice above and go to those threads if you don't like this one. Your attempt at marginalizing legit concerns and discussions is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by PPC View Post
    Because this is not the petition and pictures of the paint chipping thread, it's the "Why is Mattel giving us black plastic and painting over it" thread. Take the advice above and go to those threads if you don't like this one. Your attempt at marginalizing legit concerns and discussions is pointless.
    I did check this thread looking for news on the Black Plastic situation figuring that if and when Matty has an official statement on it, it would be posted here. All it really is though is a handful of you posters that are keeping this thread alive by posting the same thing over an over again. In fact every thread that gets posted here, save the "positivity thread" is peppered with negativity from the usual suspects that seem to feed off the hatred for Matty. Telling people who don't have a rabid hatred towards Matty to go elsewhere is childish when you all go into every thread and post negative comments regularly. Do a search for "Black Plastic" and see what comes up.
    Look I understand there is problems that should be addressed but there comes a point when it gets old and I'm sure that Toyguru or Mattel will stop paying attention after a while if the same people post the same stuff over and over again.

Look I understand there is problems that should be addressed but there comes a point when it gets old and I'm sure that Toyguru or Mattel will stop paying attention after a while if the same people post the same stuff over and over again.
    I completely disagree. Say nothing, or quit talking about it before it is resolved, and nothing will happen. Mattel and Scott will see that as an excuse to let it be absorbed into the QC abyss.

How many QC issues are now just accepted because we finally gave up on them? Too bad for you if your Snout Spout has a broken trunk, or your Goddess has no legs. Things get changed because dissatisfaction is voiced. All of the complainer-complainers should THANK the 'whingers' for being the ones who have created change wherever it has happened (i.e. Faceless One's hood).

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    I completely disagree. Say nothing, or quit talking about it before it is resolved, and nothing will happen. Mattel and Scott will see that as an excuse to let it be absorbed into the QC abyss.

How many QC issues are now just accepted because we finally gave up on them? Too bad for you if your Snout Spout has a broken trunk, or your Goddess has no legs. Things get changed because dissatisfaction is voiced. All of the complainer-complainers should THANK the 'whingers' for being the ones who have created change wherever it has happened (i.e. Faceless One's hood).
    What you and many others don't seem to understand is that they have BORDERLINE, at best, interest in continuing this line as it is... if you get a bad figure... have the patience to go through customer sevice to have it resolved... or have another incomplete MOTU collection!! T

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dude View Post
    if you get a bad figure... have the patience to go through customer sevice to have it resolved... or have another incomplete MOTU collection!! T
    I'd rather have an incomplete collection of qualitative figures instead of a complete collection of cheaply produced cost-cut trash.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    It absolutely can be unsaid! It's called the edit button.

Scott tries to "unsay" his things all the time. You should try it!

By the way, keeping things professional is his job, technically speaking. But I'll do my part as well. I never hear him rise up in anger whenever there's swapped shoulders, unpainted colors, and the like. It does make we wonder what kind of fan he is, to be honest. Just my opinion.

Speaking for myself, I am not a fan of throwing my hard-earned money at anybody that can't earn my money in return. It's my expectation as a customer, as lofty as you may think my expectations might be.

I can buy a half-baked Frosta, or a definitive Mega Man D-Arts figure WITH Rush and Met with the same money. That's the market they are in.

- - - Updated - - -

All I am thinking is best-case scenario He-man returns to retail in some capacity. The bucks are available, and there will be the window to undo all the warts of the Collector line. If it manages to reach retail, I would certainly start with:

-Spikor
    -Stinkor
    -Snout Spout
    -King Hssss
    -Teela
    -Sorceress
    -Frosta
    -Roboto
    -She-Ra
    -Figures 07/2011-XX/2012

The list goes on....retail would go a long way to help the line.
    What were the QC issues with Teela, Sorceress, and She-ra? And I don't think Stinkor is technically a QC issue, but a design decision (but others will definitely debate this)

It's really pretty simple and the point has been made countless times. After four years of continued problems with the line along with a brand manager's snarky arrogant demeanor rubbing salt in the wound of said problems, people have just had enough. Scott gets what he gives I guess.
    And why do people continue to buy products that have "problems" after four years? From people they don't think do a good job or like? Maybe if all the unhappy customers quit buying product they feel is inferior or just bad the line would be over and none of these problems would exist and some would be much happier?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    I really don't understand how Mattel uses the term 'manager'. I'm a manager, all issues ultimately fall on me. If something goes wrong I can't say "oh Bob did, I'll ask, if you provide evidence." I also know that an answer of "oops, well that's how it is and is going to stay that way, be happy we did it at all" or "well the it is done 6 months in advance and Joe didn't see it 2 weeks before so it's not a big deal" would also cost me my job.

My actions, in relation to the company, always have to be done professionally. Even if it's my off hours, if it's about the company I'm held rresponsable for what I say 24/7.

I have only noticed the black paint on Vykron, it just looked off on the arms. Part of this is because of the org and I am no longer truly trying to pose my figures due to fear of paint rub. I used to open them and test every joint and try finding a new unique pose before going on the shelf.

Hopefully this ends soon.

J
    But he is the Brand Manager, not the Plant manager, not the Distribution manager, not in control of every aspect of the product. He doesn't get to make vendor decisions, distribution/website decisions, materials decisions, etc. he is not the president or CEO, he is simply the Brand manager, most of these other decisions are made by upper management through contracts that Scott probably has little to no say in. He has to work within the constraints of the company and what his bosses dictate.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Another round of posters who think they know how the disgruntled should think and speak and act.....

There are happy threads elsewhere for those who don't like this one. If you don't like sandwiches don't go to Subway and complain about the lack of hamburgers. Talk about futility.
    Or if you are unhappy with the product don't buy it?

I did check this thread looking for news on the Black Plastic situation figuring that if and when Matty has an official statement on it, it would be posted here. All it really is though is a handful of you posters that are keeping this thread alive by posting the same thing over an over again. In fact every thread that gets posted here, save the "positivity thread" is peppered with negativity from the usual suspects that seem to feed off the hatred for Matty. Telling people who don't have a rabid hatred towards Matty to go elsewhere is childish when you all go into every thread and post negative comments regularly. Do a search for "Black Plastic" and see what comes up.
    I agree with you on this point: I have kept my negativity about this here. I don't go into positive threads and rain negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    If only people who are happy with the product would have bought it, this line would have been dead already.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

But he is the Brand Manager, not the Plant manager, not the Distribution manager, not in control of every aspect of the product. He doesn't get to make vendor decisions, distribution/website decisions, materials decisions, etc. he is not the president or CEO, he is simply the Brand manager, most of these other decisions are made by upper management through contracts that Scott probably has little to no say in. He has to work within the constraints of the company and what his bosses dictate.

Scott is the brand manager, therefore he can supposedly control what design does, after all, supposedly, he has to sign off on it.

Also, the Vendor is not responsible for the black plastic, the world class Mattel design team is, therefore, something Scott should have control over instead of passing the buck, even though Ruben seems lacking in his efforts.

And as far as not buying myself, personally if this continues once my sub kicks in Jan 2013, I will let my card lapse, and I will not buy anything but Ram-Man, and if Dragstor & Mantenna surface. And not to mention, those that are happy with MOTUC 100% would not be capable of sustaining the line....the sub drive of 2013 proved that much, as they were likely the first to sub up, and we were only at what 31%? Not the big group they thought they were.
    Recent.... HATMOTU Beast Man & Evil Seed
    Coming....
    Wanted.... Filmation Mer-Man, Teela & Sorceress
    Considering....
    Needed.... MOTUC Lord Masque

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I'd rather have an incomplete collection of qualitative figures instead of a complete collection of cheaply produced cost-cut trash.
    So now the figures are "cheaply produced cost-cut trash"? So I would assume you find all figures from Mattel, Hasbro, Playmates, BanDai, NECA, McFarlane, DC Collectibles, Diamond Select, and the like as "cheaply produced cost-cut trash"? Because I certainly feel MOTUC are as good as any retail line or specialty line in the same price category out there.

So now the figures are "cheaply produced cost-cut trash"? So I would assume you find all figures from Mattel, Hasbro, Playmates, BanDai, NECA, McFarlane, DC Collectibles, Diamond Select, and the like as "cheaply produced cost-cut trash"? Because I certainly feel MOTUC are as good as any retail line or specialty line in the same price category out there.
    That's not what I said. My point was that I value the quality of the figures over the completeness of a collection.

Heroic Warrior
    If only people who are happy with the product would have bought it, this line would have been dead already.
    Then the line dies. I don't know why people would continue to spend disposable income on items that people are not happy with? It's a line that should be enjoyed not something that should bring this much stress.

That's not what I said. My point was that I value the quality of the figures over the completeness of a collection.
    Then what was the point of the statement? These figures are not made anymore "cheaply" than in previous years or any other comparable line.

Heroic Warrior
    What were the QC issues with Teela, Sorceress, and She-ra? And I don't think Stinkor is technically a QC issue, but a design decision (but others will definitely debate this)
    Teela and Sorceress mostly had engineering issues, but the two She-ras I got had terrible paint apps and loose ankles and knees. Others had poorly assembled head pieces where the forehead was over exposed.

And why do people continue to buy products that have "problems" after four years? From people they don't think do a good job or like? Maybe if all the unhappy customers quit buying product they feel is inferior or just bad the line would be over and none of these problems would exist and some would be much happier?
    I'm not sure where you've been, but the 2013 subs barely made the minimum amount of sales. If that's not someone voting with their wallet I don't know what is. And for the record I purchased the sub against my better judgment in order to contribute to saving the line. I think anyone would agree that 2013 is Scott and Mattel's last chance to do right by the customers. Unfortunately they're off to a bad start.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not sure where you've been, but the 2013 subs barely made the minimum amount of sales. If that's not someone voting with their wallet I don't know what is. And for the record I purchased the sub against my better judgment in order to contribute to saving the line. I think anyone would agree that 2013 is Scott and Mattel's last chance to do right by the customers. Unfortunately they're off to a bad start.
    Umm.... I'm right here? I know the subscriptions had a drastic drop, but still more than a few who continue to collect seem to be unhappy about the line. So if all who have been dissatisfied for "four years" quit collecting then maybe the line would have already failed?

I just know most of these issues haven't stunted my enjoyment of these figures as I keep getting more and more. This is the only line I really collect loose (with the exception of BAFs and CnCs) because of the incredible interchangability.

Heroic Warrior
    Umm.... I'm right here? I know the subscriptions had a drastic drop, but still more than a few who continue to collect seem to be unhappy about the line. So if all who have been dissatisfied for "four years" quit collecting then maybe the line would have already failed?

I just know most of these issues haven't stunted my enjoyment of these figures as I keep getting more and more. This is the only line I really collect loose (with the exception of BAFs and CnCs) because of the incredible interchangability.
    That's good to know because from what you said I thought you were still living in 2009 when sales were booming and we all actually believed the promises Scott made.

They may be unhappy about the negative aspects of the line, but it's the love of MOTU in general that keeps most of the remaining customers going. The issues may not have stunted your enjoyment, but for those who have an incomplete collection because their Goddess exploded, or their Snout Spout dry rotted all to pieces with no chance of getting an acceptable replacement may be a bit more disillusioned than you.
    Last edited by PPC; September 18, 2012 at 01:13am.

Then the line dies. I don't know why people would continue to spend disposable income on items that people are not happy with? It's a line that should be enjoyed not something that should bring this much stress.
    Well said... At this point we all know that the black plastic will continue for the next few month's at least, if not into 2013 before it CAN be fixed. For those that passionately hate the use of it on their toys, why not cancel your subs or not buy on DOS? We all knew it was on Mekaneck, DB Skeletor, and the Snake Men well ahead of time, yet they are basically sold out. I can think of no better way to send a message than not buying something.

Bring on MYP Sorceress! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Today, because of the painted over black plastic crap, I only ordered one Mekaneck as opposed to two Mekaneck figures and two Snake Men army builders.
    MYP Sorceress is a MUST HAVE figure for MOTUC!

I just started looking into the Iron Man figures, and I chose to pas on the Avengers versions because they cut articulation, mainly hands and feet, but I found more than enough in the Iron Man 2 line to satisfy my desires. Point being like you, I choose to buy the figures from a line that I am satisfied with, I returned a few Transformers in my time (mainly boxed voyagers) because once I got them open, I felt them to be flimsy, and not worth my money, I have bought a few MOTUC in my time as well where I sold because I felt the same way.

And about some of the MOTUC I do feel that way still, all the early figures and too loose to stand in all but one pose ankle joints....I have a few figures left this year that I have to consider my collection nearing completion, the rest, I can pas on, which I wouldn't be passing if not for the Black plastic crap. And my sub will go bye bye, if this problem recurs in 2013, I will not be paying for unnesccesary figures I deem not quality enough....I really wanted the Thundercats Classic figures, but Bandai ****ed them up, and I chose to pass on all but the 8" Lion-O, which still bugs me because the skin that is painted is way off from the molded parts.

I haven't been buying Transformers because they shrunk the Deluxe almost into Scout Class figures, and stores still want the same amount of money if not more, yet HTS is asking much less than most retail stores are. But the Character selection, the increasing cheapness to them has really put me off, and if Classics continues in the smaller scale, then unless it's a much wanted figure, to hell with it, and that is how I feel about MOTUC and the lame ass black painted plastic, there is a really big cheapness to them now in my opinion, and I am really regretting getting my sub, but my card renews in Jan, so if I feel the figures are not to my liking, for the increasingly outrageous prices wanted for these things, I will not renew my card on Matty. I will collect my last 3 figures (Ram-Man included) and be done.
    Recent.... HATMOTU Beast Man & Evil Seed
    Coming....
    Wanted.... Filmation Mer-Man, Teela & Sorceress
    Considering....
    Needed.... MOTUC Lord Masque

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Bring on MYP Sorceress! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    unless it's a much wanted figure, to hell with it, and that is how I feel about MOTUC and the lame ass black painted plastic, there is a really big cheapness to them now in my opinion, and I am really regretting getting my sub, but my card renews in Jan, so if I feel the figures are not to my liking, for the increasingly outrageous prices wanted for these things, I will not renew my card on Matty. I will collect my last 3 figures (Ram-Man included) and be done.
    I'm in total agreement with you on this. When I purchased my subscription during "The sky is falling" fiasco that was the 2013 Club Eternia service, I understood that I only had knowledge of a few figures I was purchasing. I was also aware that I'd get some figures I didn't care for like NA, and I also knew that there'd be the occasional painted bicep(Fisto) or painted hands like we saw with Prince Adam, King Randor, and Count Marzo. They KNEW we didn't care much for painted hands but it wasn't a big deal since there were only a handful of figures with them.

There was no way to know that Matty would flip the script and suddenly start pumping out painted over black plastic figures that chip right out of the package, not to mention that some of them look REALLY unsightly at the shoulder hinge even when they don't chip. Look no further than Vykron. All of this started to show up AFTER we had purchased our 2013 subscription!

They withheld their intentions to get cheap with the price increase so I will not lose any sleep over letting my card expire.
    MYP Sorceress is a MUST HAVE figure for MOTUC!