Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Mattel giving us black plastic and painting over it?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    But isn't that MORE expensive to paint over existing colored plastic when they are trying to keep costs down?
    I would think it is cheaper to mold in the correct color than to paint over it, but there must be some financial reason they are doing this. Besides having to buy the paint, they have to pay for the labor to paint it, and they have to take the time to paint it and wait for it to dry, which uses up more "line time" I think TG called it. And besides paint being expensive, line time is expensive too.

Is there a chance they had left-over plastic from another toy line and they're just using it here? If they already booked a financial loss on another line, they could basically use it "free" on this line.

Another concern, since we know Mattel is trying hard to cut costs, it only makes sense that this is some cheap paint. I would count on there being lots of issues in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    But isn't that MORE expensive to paint over existing colored plastic when they are trying to keep costs down?
    I would think it is cheaper to mold in the correct color than to paint over it, but there must be some financial reason they are doing this. Besides having to buy the paint, they have to pay for the labor to paint it, and they have to take the time to paint it and wait for it to dry, which uses up more "line time" I think TG called it. And besides paint being expensive, line time is expensive too.

Is there a chance they had left-over plastic from another toy line and they're just using it here? If they already booked a financial loss on another line, they could basically use it "free" on this line.

Another concern, since we know Mattel is trying hard to cut costs, it only makes sense that this is some cheap paint. I would count on there being lots of issues in a year or two.
    From my own toy manufacturing experience, it is true that painting a piece is more expensive than molding the color. But now that we're seeing this on all the new figures I can only speculate that it is some kind of cost cutting/time saving measure. In either case, it's not acceptable and needs to be addressed as being a deal breaker with Scott who obviously does not see it that way.

Whoever's podcast has him on next, please addresses this with him and let him know that we are very unhappy about this. (I can only imagine his response will be that prices would have gone even higher if they did not start doing this.)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Haven't they been doing this since the beginning though? I have a Mer Man who, as soon as I unpacked him and took the sword out of his hand, his hand paint peeled off and stayed on the sword. And Mer Man is an early figure.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Haven't they been doing this since the beginning though? I have a Mer Man who, as soon as I unpacked him and took the sword out of his hand, his hand paint peeled off and stayed on the sword. And Mer Man is an early figure.
    The thing is it seems as if they are doing this more and more, ie, a bigger percentage of figures are being painted rather than molded in the right color. And more parts from each figure are being painted. Before, it was a hand here, a foot there. Now it's almost whole figures.

Posted this on Matty. Let's see what he says. --OK toned it down a bit.--

Toyguru, what is the deal man? The use of paint over black plastic is just plain stupid. Honestly, WHY in the WORLD would Mattel do this?

And PLEASE don't give us that it is a design choice CRAP. We are not some followers that believe everything is feed us. Honestly I believe nothing being said now.The beating around the bush and trying to mist over the OBVIOUS choices that this line has gone through is getting REALLY old.

I posted on here trying to defend He-man and to show my support for this line during the Sub run. I poured my heart out to you and Mattel. THIS is how you expect people to support a line that after 4 months paint will be chipping off the figures we pay $30.00 for after shipping?

I bought 2 subscriptions for next year. But I will say this you WILL lose existing subcribers over this. Count me as ONE of them.

I have dealt with incorrect shoulders, incorrect swiftwind legs, Digital River's incompetent CS and their plain stupidity when it comes to knowing what is going on. I deal with pushing figures around because they don't get shipped on time. I deal with the SLOPPY paint aps on my figures. I deal with the Roboto cracked torso and Goddess that breaks when you look at her. I deal with higher prices. I deal being showed one figure with weapons and then subcribing; only to be told due to cost that I already agreed to pay; I can't have those weapons. But HEY spend 13-15 more dollars and we will put it in a weapons pack for you to spend more money on.

No line is perfect Scott, but the decisions being made for this line, by whoever; are what is ruining this line. PAINT over black plastic? I mean come on.

I have defended you and defended Mattel Scott. But I CANNOT stand with you and Mattel on this issue. It HAS to stop. Painting pieces that will CLEARLY scrap and RUB HAS TO STOP. If it doesn't I am ONE MORE subscriber who buys 2 each time, you WILL Lose for the 2014 line.
    Last edited by air23cnhit; September 8, 2012 at 10:58am.
    Currently Looking for:
    MOC:
    Dragon Walker with tattoo he - man MIB.
    Parts I need:
    Zodak Calves, Feet and Loin Cloths.

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by air23cnhit View Post
    Posted this on Matty. Let's see what he says
    Obviously I agree with everythin' you said but maybe it's too rude?
    In my mind I would have used the same words but when you have to fight it's better to be polite... just my opinion...
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    ...Or a new brand manager.
    A big PLUS ONE to that idea!!! He's just not doing his job. His lack of care to our concerns has driven subs to an all time low. He came out with countless promises prior to and during the sub-drive, and now that the money is in the bank, he's back to his usual lack of attention. Whatever you think of Scott personally is irrelevant at this point, the facts speak for themselves and it is mind boggling that he hasn't been given the axe already. Personally, I think if Mattel replaced him it would restore confidence in the line because it would signal that they have heard our concerns and are looking to make changes. Thanks for getting this off the ground Scott, but fatigue has evidently set in and it is time for some new blood to take the reins.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCruel View Post
    Obviously I agree with everythin' you said but maybe it's too rude?
    In my mind I would have used the same words but when you have to fight it's better to be polite... just my opinion...
    Not too rude at all. Why should we be on our knees to this guy? He is accountable to us, the customers of this brand... we all sign his pay check!!!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Let us know how it goes, or if it gets deleted. I agree with you. In fact, next year is the first year I only got one sub instead of two.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior
    I think people are doing a disservice by complaining about it in a very broad, unclear manner. People are complaining about "painted parts", which HAVE been a part of this line since very early on. As mentioned, Mer-Man and Triklops are very early figures with specific painted parts, but really ALL figures have painted parts.

But the bigger issue seems to be WHICH parts are painted. If you just complain about "painted parts", we will be told that it is sometimes necessary and it is part of the process. But if there are specific issues that are brought up, like shoulders which suffer from a lot of rub, it is easier for Mattel to take that info and look at the process.

If you offer broad, generic issues, you will get broad, generic responses. Specific instances, and clear examples of WHY they have a negative impact are necessary for Mattel to understand and process the issues.

If Scott goes... MOTUC goes down with him...
    Just sayin'
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Go read the Toyguru Ask Matty September Q&A thread. You guys have some pics to send.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Another question:

Why make parts for Sir Laser Lot and Mekaneck out of black plastic, and spend more money painting them, when you could have made shoulders, thighs, torso's, and biceps for both of them in the same batch out of blue plastic?
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Another question:

Why make parts for Sir Laser Lot and Mekaneck out of black plastic, and spend more money painting them, when you could have made shoulders, thighs, torso's, and biceps for both of them in the same batch out of blue plastic?
    Yes, and they could have even made Skeletor's too. It would have been OK to have a lighter blue over a dark blue.

Go read the Toyguru Ask Matty September Q&A thread. You guys have some pics to send.
    Exactly. Hey guys we need pics to post on Matty. He said if we have pics to show him, Maybe, just maybe it will change. Come on everyone. Go to matty and post them.
    Currently Looking for:
    MOC:
    Parts I need:

Heroic Warrior
    Exactly. Hey guys we need pics to post on Matty. He said if we have pics to show him, Maybe, just maybe it will change. Come on everyone. Go to matty and post them.
    But it takes 6 months to make these changes and we are going to get three quarters of 2012 in the next 4 months... Plus an $80 dragon. Add the first 2 months of 2013... All so batman can save a few bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by d*r*j* View Post
    But it takes 6 months to make these changes and we are going to get three quarters of 2012 in the next 4 months... Plus an $80 dragon. Add the first 2 months of 2013... All so batman can save a few bucks?
    Either way, If it saves 4 figures from this type of paint. I am ok with it. So lets get some pics over there to show Mattel.
    Currently Looking for:
    MOC:
    Parts I need:

Heroic Warrior
    Either way, If it saves 4 figures from this type of paint. I am ok with it. So lets get some pics over there to show Mattel.
    Hmmm. Mattel make these figures. They know that they are made in a compromised fashion to save money. This is not a qc problem.

Lol, I love how we have to prove their mistake... it's already been highlighted with several pics and videos on many different toy forums. But, I will do my part and add some pics too. Wouldn't want Scott to think we're making this issue up!!

Exactly! How can they change anything any time soon?

Hmmm. Mattel make these figures. They know that they are made in a compromised fashion to save money. This is not a qc problem.
    Correct again!
    Now Showing
    Blade
    Coming Attractions
    Baby Skeletor (just kidding)

This is what I dont get...

Why do you need pictures, shouldnt Mattel know that painting the joints is only going to chip the paint. I thought these things went through a QC inspection. Hasnt Mattel made action figures before?

I would hardly think that chipping paint would meet a safety standard...

- - - Updated - - -

Im gonna follow-up/clarify on that...

QC standards. There have been design choices on previous figures that have been made to make them "safer". While it has been explained to us in the past that do to it being a toy, regardless that its an adult collectors line, they still had to meet specific requirements.

I am needlessly shocked to know that chipping paint, that could be ingested, would not fall into the same safety concerns.

Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Hands, heads & other single parts like a new bicep (Fisto), or forearm (Tri-Klops), but not whole arms & legs, and especially not on tight rubbing joints.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

It seems that Snake man guard that uses the Rattlor's body also suffers from black shoulder syndrome Check out the photo thread, post made by He-Bro.
    Evil Master of Thinking!

I'd have never been aware of this if not for the forum, so seems pretty minor.

If this is what Mattel wants to do, doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    This is what I dont get...

Why do you need pictures, shouldnt Mattel know that painting the joints is only going to chip the paint. I thought these things went through a QC inspection. Hasnt Mattel made action figures before?

I would hardly think that chipping paint would meet a safety standard...

- - - Updated - - -

Im gonna follow-up/clarify on that...

QC standards. There have been design choices on previous figures that have been made to make them "safer". While it has been explained to us in the past that do to it being a toy, regardless that its an adult collectors line, they still had to meet specific requirements.

I am needlessly shocked to know that chipping paint, that could be ingested, would not fall into the same safety concerns.

Exactly! You've touched on a couple of issues there!

Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    But that doesn't mean it's not a real issue, even if you're not aware of it!! I mean, my Spikor was chipped before I even opened the packaging. They're supposed to be "high-end" collectables (according to Scott's own words)... this is hardly high-end! What's even WORSE is that (apparently) it's a design choice So, they had a choice NOT to do this! It's not an accident or a QC issue! So, I'd say that's not "minor" at all, and could set the trend for the future standard of the line (which is why Scott said there was a price increase... so the standard can remain the same).
    Now Showing
    Blade
    Coming Attractions
    Baby Skeletor (just kidding)

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post

If this is what Mattel wants to do, doesn't bother me.
    But it bothers a lot of us, so posts like yours are counter productive.

How about some solidarity? Why is that too much to ask in this day and age.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    But it bothers a lot of us, so posts like yours are counter productive.

How about some solidarity? Why is that too much to ask in this day and age.
    While it's not about "solidarity" (if he hasn't had the experience, he has every right to say so), but the issue is with "I haven't had the issue, therefore it seems minor".

That's like saying, "I've never been in an earth quake, therefore they really aren't a big deal."