Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 897

Thread: Why is Mattel giving us black plastic and painting over it?

  1. #276
    Heroic Warrior Dr Kain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Posts
    5,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    I'd have never been aware of this if not for the forum, so seems pretty minor.

    If this is what Mattel wants to do, doesn't bother me.
    So just because you don't have the issue, it is okay for $20 toys ($25 next year) to be assembled **** poorly?

    I'm sorry, that makes no sense. I mean, I don't have any cracks on my Roboto, my Snout Spout trunk has not split, but that does not mean I am going to just say, "Well it doesn't bother me because mine doesn't have it." That is rude to those affected by it. I hope you get a DBSkeletor that has a giant paint chip on the front of his shoulder so you have your Skeletor with a giant black spot.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

  2. #277
    Heroic Warrior Wulff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    But it bothers a lot of us, so posts like yours are counter productive.

    How about some solidarity? Why is that too much to ask in this day and age.
    Nothing counter productive about it. You say it's an issue and Mattel must do something about it, I say it's not and Mattel shouldn't waste their time on it. Mattel folks can check out the forum and decide which path makes the most sense for future figures.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    So just because you don't have the issue, it is okay for $20 toys ($25 next year) to be assembled **** poorly?

    I'm sorry, that makes no sense. I mean, I don't have any cracks on my Roboto, my Snout Spout trunk has not split, but that does not mean I am going to just say, "Well it doesn't bother me because mine doesn't have it." That is rude to those affected by it. I hope you get a DBSkeletor that has a giant paint chip on the front of his shoulder so you have your Skeletor with a giant black spot.
    $20-25 is not that expensive, especially considering how large these figures are and how small the production run is. Revoltech figures at half the size can cost twice as much.

    As for rude... they are just toys man. Chillax.

  3. #278
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    Nothing counter productive about it. You say it's an issue and Mattel must do something about it, I say it's not and Mattel shouldn't waste their time on it. Mattel folks can check out the forum and decide which path makes the most sense for future figures.
    I think the reaction to your statement was because of the false logic you used, "It has not happened to me, therefore it is not an issue".

  4. #279
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hellbourne
    Posts
    463
    I have a serious question for those people who say "I would never have noticed if not for the forum". Do you have this problem outside of collecting? Like do you notice when you have a flat tyre or the tomatoes are rotten in the supermarket?

  5. #280
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by d*r*j* View Post
    I have a serious question for those people who say "I would never have noticed if not for the forum". Do you have this problem outside of collecting? Like do you notice when you have a flat tyre or the tomatoes are rotten in the supermarket?
    Well, letīs see. My Spikor and Vykron had no scratches what so ever. I did not notice they where painted plastic. Even now that i know i do not care because they look fine. They may be "rotten" in the core, but i donīt care because i do not want to eat them. Where the figures paint jobs damaged and the black plastic would be noticeable, well i would be furious too.
    Btw comparing a potentially faulty painted toy to food or the healty of ones car?? really???

    I am not saying it is ok what Mattel is going for here. It is not. It may be all right but it is not ok. For me it is a minor nitpick compared to how messed up frosta, roboto, king hsss or snout spout turned out to be.

  6. #281
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hellbourne
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthKant View Post
    Well, letīs see. My Spikor and Vykron had no scratches what so ever. I did not notice they where painted plastic. Even now that i know i do not care because they look fine. They may be "rotten" in the core, but i donīt care because i do not want to eat them. Where the figures paint jobs damaged and the black plastic would be noticeable, well i would be furious too.
    Btw comparing a potentially faulty painted toy to food or the healty of ones car?? really???

    I am not saying it is ok what Mattel is going for here. It is not. It may be all right but it is not ok. For me it is a minor nitpick compared to how messed up frosta, roboto, king hsss or snout spout turned out to be.
    I didn't quote you specifically because this answer is given a lot... Especially with the swapped shoulders etc. it is very noticeable with vykron because the black base makes the skintone different.

  7. #282
    Heroic Warrior Dr Kain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Posts
    5,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    $20-25 is not that expensive, especially considering how large these figures are and how small the production run is. Revoltech figures at half the size can cost twice as much.

    As for rude... they are just toys man. Chillax.
    I'm sorry, but $20-25 IS expensive for a toy that is being made halfassed. I'm not saying it is possible to fix every issue, but the black plastic just looks poorly done. The paint on Vykron's body is disgusting because of how thick the paint look.

    I collect SH Figuarts. Yes, to an American, they are closer to $40, but in Japan they are sold for the same price as MOTUC. They do not have anywhere near the same issues as MOTUC does. They have better articulation, highly detailed paint jobs, and all parts are molded in the color plastic they are supposed to be colors, with paint added for details when it requires it. Here is a picture



    They also come with multiple hands, some have an additional head, weapons, and those that had them in the show, come with even the little cards. They even have their card decks detachable from their belt. You know why these figures turn out so good? It's because Bandai cares about them. Bandai puts pride into their work. You might say it is not that big of a deal, and that Mattel shouldn't waste their time on it, but Mattel should. If for nothing else, just for professional pride. I bet Van Gogh did not look at "Starry Night" and say, "Well, the church just does not look right, but that is fine, no one is going to care about that." No, if anything, he would have said, "Man, that church just does not look right, and while no one is really going to care, I care because this is my work."
    Last edited by Dr Kain; September 9, 2012 at 11:16am.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

  8. #283
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    While it's not about "solidarity" (if he hasn't had the experience, he has every right to say so), but the issue is with "I haven't had the issue, therefore it seems minor".

    That's like saying, "I've never been in an earth quake, therefore they really aren't a big deal."
    Uh, what you have described is exactly what I said. Its about solidarity. Which doesn't mean you have to have experienced something yourself, it means you stand alongside and in support of those who have.

  9. #284
    Heroic Warrior AdultCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,551
    My Horde Prime...



    Comparison shot (what he should look like)

    Last edited by AdultCollector; September 9, 2012 at 12:05pm.

  10. #285
    Snappy Threader
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,529
    Ok. I just checked every figure in ourcollection. I am just not experiencing this. Granted, we don't "play" with our figures but we do make sure the joints work etc. So far so good, Horder Prime, Spikor.....all of ours are good....so far.....

  11. #286
    NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,916
    Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    ouch, that's one of the worst examples i've seen so far

  12. #287
    Heroic Warrior Evilestwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    94
    It's hard to get people to stand in solidarity with something they cannot identify with. Especially with the level of chickenlittlism that goes on here in this forum. I haven't experienced any QC problems with any of my toys as of yet personally. Then again I know I can tolerate some imperfection probably more than others. It doesn't mean that I don't feel for the people that have problems, I do and I hope you guys get your stuff worked out

  13. #288
    Heroic Warrior Wulff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    Uh, what you have described is exactly what I said. Its about solidarity. Which doesn't mean you have to have experienced something yourself, it means you stand alongside and in support of those who have.
    If you don't feel this is an important issue and not worth Mattel's time, you don't have to agree with fans that do.

  14. #289
    Heroic Warrior He-Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    2,865
    I don't get why some people spend their time trying to make issues look smaller. This line has been plagued with issues, so many of which have been ignored. Why give Scott/Mattel reason to ignore this one? If it doesn't affect you (yet!) then good for you; but don't try and make others feel bad for raising it.

    The "they're only toys" comment that constantly gets posted is pathetic, especially considering it comes form people who spend their spare time on a toys forum. Just because these action figures are not curing cancer doesn't make the money spent on them any less valuable.

    As for the issue at hand, has Mattel even explained why everything is now being cast in black plastic?

  15. #290
    Heroic Warrior AdultCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,551
    He-Mullet_is_vintage_MOTU posted these on the Ask Matty forum this morning.

    http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/1741004677







    In case it hasn't been posted yet, there is a threat on this topic here:

    http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...5/m/7351043677

  16. #291
    Cheap Repaint FAKER II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,708
    If this trend continues then I'm out. I have a 2012 sub but not 2013. I'll pick up Ram Man and Jitsu. I'll buy Mantenna and Two Bad if they get made. That is it. There are no other characters I am willing to pay this much for with the way these figures are being made.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

    "The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

  17. #292
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,520
    My thing is, and always will be, these high paid toy designers either overlooked or just didn't care about the fact that painted joints chip, rub and crack....any beginner customizer would figure this out right away.

    This Ruben guy....just doesn't know what to do it seems, Stinkor's reversed forearms, now all this black plastic....this is the real issue....The design team is now the issue.

    The worst things seemed to be with design before was a hole in She-Ra's head & Sorceress' wing drums....bad things to many, but not on the scale that they are now actually jacking up the figures with horrible ideas, and poorly executed design flaws.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evilestwarrior View Post
    It's hard to get people to stand in solidarity with something they cannot identify with. Especially with the level of chickenlittlism that goes on here in this forum. I haven't experienced any QC problems with any of my toys as of yet personally. Then again I know I can tolerate some imperfection probably more than others. It doesn't mean that I don't feel for the people that have problems, I do and I hope you guys get your stuff worked out
    Therein lies the problem with people....too many people are too one sided to see the POV of someone else.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  18. #293
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,340
    Iīm pro this line and bought 2 subs, but the overall hobby experience is below standard for the world`s biggest toy company.

    This trend will continue until the line eventually end.

    Iīll put my money more into Sideshow and will sell alot of stuff next year and won`t resub again.

  19. #294
    Heroic Warrior Dr Kain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Posts
    5,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    If you don't feel this is an important issue and not worth Mattel's time, you don't have to agree with fans that do.
    I'm sorry, but yes he does. You should to. But whatever, I cannot wait until you have something big happen to one of your figures. Then I am going to spam your thread with Nelson images saying "Haw Haw" and telling you your problem is meaningless. In fact, I hope your next upcoming favorite figure has two left feet.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

  20. #295
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    If you don't feel this is an important issue and not worth Mattel's time, you don't have to agree with fans that do.
    This issue hasn't impacted me yet, but I'm not downplaying what happened to some unlucky fans. Mattel SHOULD do something about the black plastic (before I get a figure that has easily revealed plastic ).

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  21. #296
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    If you don't feel this is an important issue and not worth Mattel's time, you don't have to agree with fans that do.
    You don't have to agree it's not as big an issue to another person, but saying to someone else who thinks it is, that it's not important and that someone should get over it, is a double standard, it's OK for you to say it's not a big deal and to not complain about it, but another person can't say they feel ripped off by it? They have just as much right to say that the problem is big to them, as you do to say it's not a big problem to you.

    Everyone has different opinions on what is a big issue to them, but I would love to see your face when you finally get the one figure that explodes as soon as you open it, or the whole paint app on the body part that's painted flakes right off or something else....but then again, if you did, how do we know you still wouldn't pretend it's all wine and roses?

    You don't have to agree with someone else, but you also don't have to put the ones that think it's a problem down, and make them seem insignificant for saying so....you're no better to say anything than someone else is. It's easy to dismiss someone when you haven't had the problem yourself, ask Mattel, they do it all the time, even when they do know it's an issue.

    Also, it's funny that the ones that downplay the issues and "never have problems" themselves, are a really small group compared to the ones that actually notice the issues, or have problems with the figures.

    My Swiftwind is fine, so even with the proof in pics, I should just say quit moaning and move on, it's a non issue? The black plastic is documented now, and pics of chipping are surfacing, and not only by normal collectors and posters, but by reviewers like The Fwoosh....so, it's still a non issue, when even well respected reviewers notice the issue?
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; September 9, 2012 at 09:34pm.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  22. #297
    Heroic Warrior Stratos*Major's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    MS, Gulf Coast
    Posts
    2,072
    The way I see it is...just because it hasnt happened to you yet dosent mean it wont in the future.

    The more people that say "I dont have a problem with it" just gives Mattel/Matty a door to walk through. While I have had no major problems with my figures I do not want to see figures being cast in black and painted over and then end up with a jacked up figure.

    Yes, they are just toys, but as others have stated its more the idea of spending your money on them. Come 2013 after tax & shipping these figures are gonna be $35.00.

    For $35.00 I want a figure thats gonna be QCed.

    Also, if it isnt a big deal to you why agrue the merit of it? No big deal then don't post in the thread. There are a number of threads I do not respond to because its no big deal to me.

    I think most people, if in real life, saw a group of people talking about an issue would not walk up and say...."thats no big deal". I am in the mind of thinking that social rules should be a standard wether on the internet or in real life.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Also the whole fractions thing is a good example.

    Why go into a thread that supports a specific fraction and say "oh I don't like it"...just to cause trouble.

    I think everyone has a right to an opinion but we dont have a right to dismiss someone elses.

    Manners peoples....manners.
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

  23. #298
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    The way I see it is...just because it hasnt happened to you yet dosent mean it wont in the future.

    The more people that say "I dont have a problem with it" just gives Mattel/Matty a door to walk through. While I have had no major problems with my figures I do not want to see figures being cast in black and painted over and then end up with a jacked up figure.

    Yes, they are just toys, but as others have stated its more the idea of spending your money on them. Come 2013 after tax & shipping these figures are gonna be $35.00.

    For $35.00 I want a figure thats gonna be QCed.

    Also, if it isnt a big deal to you why agrue the merit of it? No big deal then don't post in the thread. There are a number of threads I do not respond to because its no big deal to me.

    I think most people, if in real life, saw a group of people talking about an issue would not walk up and say...."thats no big deal". I am in the mind of thinking that social rules should be a standard wether on the internet or in real life.
    Logic and reasoning is lost to many, or should I say the few on here that think everything Mattel is wine & roses....even if the figure came rattling around inside the mailer in pieces, they would say it's OK, Mattel knows what they are doing, so shut up and be happy you have the figure....even if some assembly is required....with super glue....and paint brushes.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  24. #299
    Heroic Warrior Stratos*Major's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    MS, Gulf Coast
    Posts
    2,072
    Its just sad.

    Seriously an example of the state of mind, on a macro level, of what is wrong with this world.

    It just makes me wonder how callous some people on this board are in RL.

    Back to the topic...

    DOWN WITH BLACK PLASTIC
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

  25. #300
    Heroic Warrior Balthus Dire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,177
    In the post on the Ask Matty forum including the pics of Vykron above, TG has noted that he will pass the issue onto design. So, at least that's a start.

    - - - Updated - - -

    To add, TG has responded to almost all of those "black plastic" threads saying he'll definitely be passing it onto design. He also posted this:

    Quote Originally Posted by ToyGuru
    As you said, this was someone's choice and that someone was Ruben and his design team. Clearly this is something fan do not like and I have passed these comments to him for consideration and review. Any images would help too.
    So, it seems like he's been made aware of the problem. Let's hope they stop doing it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •