Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Why is Mattel giving us black plastic and painting over it?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    The price increase doesn't come until next year, and therefore if there are any benefits to be gained, they wouldn't appear until next year's figures. Since costs have increased without prices increasing before now, maybe this is one of the ways they need to makeup the difference this year...
    a price increase has already came like 2 times. what do you mean?

Yeah, my Batros's biceps are painted. No damage to show the plastic underneath but it's pretty obviously painted.

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    So send them back... They could have seen the bicep was damaged before opening it. Why the heck did they go ahead and open it anyway?

(August 2, 2012, 06:02pm)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    The price increase doesn't come until next year, and therefore if there are any benefits to be gained, they wouldn't appear until next year's figures. Since costs have increased without prices increasing before now, maybe this is one of the ways they need to makeup the difference this year...
    Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    a price increase has already came like 2 times. what do you mean?
    You did notice that he was referring to now 2013, since his post was August 2012 (page 1 of this thread)....and at the time shipping was the same as before, and the DOS went to $22, not the sub, it was still only $20.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    It's because the wings are black.
    It's still not Black Plastic, it's the same blue as his loin cloth and hear gear....and that has been done before, Tri-Klops, Fisto.... So we're still safe for now. Looks like they painted it all black, then painted the purple and red over the black, giving the appearance of Black Plastic if only the purple was messed up.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; September 25, 2013 at 11:43am.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I believe the prevailing theory was that the blastic was recycled/melted down plastic, making it significantly cheaper than regular plastic mixed in specific colors. You mix a buncg of melted plastic of various hues together, get some likely disgustiing color out of it or a wierd rainbow, and then dye it black to make it consistent (black being the only color that would over-ride everything else). The savings from recycled existing plastic would likely be significant, enough to offset the extra cost of painting and then some.
    Yeah, and the plastic on the blastic figures LOOKS cheap too. It's not as crisp or as even in the lines.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    It's because the wings are black.
    Yep, this is the post we're looking for, people.

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    They are still not cast in Black Plastic. Only thing on Batros cast in Black Plastic is his armor.
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

I have an idea that will put this argumentto rest: Who is willing to conduct a autopsy on Batros?
    Jii Dee regarding Matty's view on MOTUC Collectors: "Here be whiny surrender monkey dragons".

MOTUC NEEDS: Tung Lashor, Rio Blast, Sssqueeze, Dragstor, Saurod & Lord Masque.

Quote Originally Posted by Saved View Post
    I have an idea that will put this argumentto rest: Who is willing to conduct a autopsy on Batros?
    I tested him back when the issue came up, by using my exacto on a little spot inside of his elbow joint....it's blue, just like his briefs.

Am I willing to make a bigger spot to take a picture....hell no, if someone chooses not to believe it's blue, then so be it....I'm not screwing my figure up to do it....I know it is, so that's good enough to me.

And even if it was Black....who cares, at least he'd have something black on his person that would justify it. Unlike DB Skeletor, Mekaneck, Rattlor, Spikor....Grayskullman....nothing black with the figure, yet the whole figures were Black plastic then painted.

The issue was never with a piece here and there, it was with the fact that almost the whole figure cast in black, then almost the whole figure painted. The only things not cast in black and painted were the torso's and armor basically....A bicep cast in black or blue, or green or brown was never an issue.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; September 25, 2013 at 03:21pm.
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    Batros doesn't have any Black plastic aside from his chest armor, the wings are blue plastic, just like Fisto has a brown head and big bicep. And Tri-Klops has a green forearm. Faker's head is Purple, MAA's is Orange, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Yeah, and the plastic on the blastic figures LOOKS cheap too. It's not as crisp or as even in the lines.
    Some seem to think a painted figure looks better, well, yeah the sheen is usually better and you don't see the plastic swirlies, but to me it can make them look worse at times than unpainted figures. Like you said, the paint which can be thicker can kill detail, clump up, or flake off.

I'm good with no more painted MOTUC, had they been done since 2008 like that, maybe, then whatever, but to just randomly start doing it, now we have 7 or so figures that have a different feel to them, many with bad paint issues. Stupid move, supposed cost savings or not, way to jack up a figure there Matty.

Guys... I sent my Batros back for an exchange because his right bicep was severely scratched and was showing the BLUE plastic underneath... Most MOTUC figures, if they have new parts, the parts are cast in the same color as the loin cloth. Tri-Clops' left forearm was painted over black plastic, Fisto's right bicep was painted, and so on. I don't know why this is, but the reason that Batros biceps are painted is because they are a brand new sculpted piece.
    Check out my band The Caterpillar Book on iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    Tri-Clops' left forearm was painted over black plastic
    TK's forearm is the same green as his armor and eye disc under the flesh.
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Black Plastic? Someone Fill Me In?

Hey,

I'm relatively new to collecting MOTUC (Nov 2012). When I first came here there were threads about 'Black Plastic' being used on the figures. What was that whole thing about? Was it some kind of QC issue with the figures? When did it all happen?

Thanks so much!

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Basically as some kind of supposed 'cost savings' measure, at one point I think some time last year instead of molding the figure parts in whatever the dominant color of that piece would be and then adding paint apps where necessary, Mattel started casting the entire figure in black plastic and then painted the whole thing. I guess the cost savings was in molding everything in one color rather than several where necessary.

Issues started to arise from this on effected figures where paint would start wearing at joints when moved, on the inner hands from weapons being swapped out, and so on.

I don't recall the exact figure it started with, but I know Vykron was one of them. I think Spikor was, too.

I believe at some point they largely stopped going this due to fan complaints, but again, I can't say exact what figure this stopped with. I know that the Horde Troopers heads are casted in black and pained, but I think that's because they were probably casted with the portions of the body under the armor that are black by default. This is not an issue with the entire figure.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

They started casting 90% of the figure in Black Plastic, then painting them the correct colors. Supposedly it was "cost saving" thing....but "factory error" (which they seem to have a lot of them) the paint wasn't drying correctly, and when the figures were being packaged the paint was being damaged, and sometime even coming off inside the bubble so when you took the figures out, they left the paint that had stuck to the bubble....on the bubble. People had incorrectly painted figures as well. The only parts not painted were the back, chest and ab pieces....all the ABS plastic was cast in the correct color, but the PVC parts were all black, except maybe the armor and weapons.

To me it was just one of those brilliant Ruben design efforts....of which he's had so many....especially as of late, like Tunicgate and purposely reversing otherwise correct forearms.

A run down of the affected Figures....mid 2012....
    They started being released at SDCC time, and the figures just started being noticed with the flaws just after the 2012 sub drive for 2013....talk about timing eh? I think the first was noticed when Vykron's brown painted briefs were leaving bad paint marks on the tops of his thighs. Yet they didn't notice the factory error of non dried paint for another separate 5 or 6 figures?

Vykron, Grayskullman and Spikor were the first, although I don't know which was produced first. Grayskullman didn't get released until November, but his completed figure was done by SDCC when the winner was revealed. So Grayskullman was the last released, even though he was one of the first affected.

Vykron
    Snake Men 2-Pack
    DB Skeletor
    Mekaneck
    Grayskullman
    Rattlor
    Spikor

Not sure....
    Sir Laser-Lot

Figures cast in black, but supposed to be black were Stinkor, Mosquitor & Horde Prime.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; October 23, 2013 at 12:18pm.
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

I believe it's been explained pretty well already, but here's my own personal problems with that:

For one, it changes something that had been a staple. Dragon Blaster Skeletor was randomly painted blue when no Skeletor before him had been. It sorta changed his color a bit. For two, it majorly increased the probability of mistakes. Doesn't matter what toyline you have: There WILL be mistakes, but there are ways to minimize them. Adding more paint to large areas is not the way to do it. So not only were there an increase in paint errors (as stated above: sometimes the paint was just wiped off right in the package) but there is also an increased chance to paint interacting with each other, like my first Dragon Blaster Skeletor:

If his arms had been molded in blue plastic, there wouldn't have been a chance of the paint from his armor sticking (or at least it would have been much lower). Sometimes paint reacts to each other, or plastic reacts to paint (some of the gloss on Shokoti's boots, for instance, has stuck to her cape). My major point in being annoyed with the black plastic thing is this: Dragon Blaster Skeletor was my FIRST figure I had to send back. Out of all of them, just about. I've been in this toyline from the beginning and I haven't sent a single figure back for a replacement until DB Skeletor. All because - for some reason - it became prudent to paint his arms rather than cast them in blue plastic like ALL the others before him. (Top that crap cake with the cherry of DB Skeletor being one of the figures I was REALLY looking forward to).

Overall, when you paint large areas that are going to be moved often, it invites error.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

It's unfortunate, because I do prefer the look it gives the figures like Spikor, Rattlor, Mekaneck, etc. better. They have more of a prototype look instead of a shiny plastic "toy-look", but the quality as an articulated figure wears away eventually ruining the finished product due to chipping and scratches.

It's a double edged sword for me, but I rather have figures that'll last years, instead of new figures looking like they've been played with for years.
    Let's get HUNGA THE HARPY before 2016!

Aaah, so it was a huge issue! I just thought it was some inside joke on the org or Masters Cast. I haven't had many problems with paint apps since I started collecting last year. The paints used for this line tend to be very good, I haven't experienced much chipping or flaking thankfully.

The only time it's even registered on my radar has been with Vykron. The painted flesh tones don't look as good as pieces on other figures that are cast in plastic. On other painted figures (Mekaneck, Spikor, Rattlor) look as good (if not better). Of course, paint chipping is a whole nother issue, but luckily I have not noticed that yet.

My Mantenna's neck and shoulders are chipping due to the head rubbing when posing, exposing some lovely blastic underneath. Is this well-known? I thought they stopped doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sizz-Lor View Post
    My Mantenna's neck and shoulders are chipping due to the head rubbing when posing, exposing some lovely blastic underneath. Is this well-known? I thought they stopped doing this?
    Mantenna has a lot of painted detail on his torso, so it needed to be cast in one color and painted. The "black plastic" problem is when something that is a larger area and all one color is cast in black plastic for some reason and painted. DB Skeletor, for instance, was using blue plastic on his chest...but then for some reason it was deemed nessicary to change to black plastic for his arms rather than just continuing to use the blue plastic. No idea why.

Mantenna, on the other hand, makes sense. His arms and legs are mostly blue plastic, and the joint on his torso is mostly black. So they've got a choice: make the torso mostly red and risk the black on the chest joint chipping, or make it mostly black and risk the red around the neck rubbing against the head. So while that does suck, it's always going to be a possibility. It is happening on mine, but at the very least, the head covers it when it's on.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.