Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Mattel giving us black plastic and painting over it?

So when is Scott going to chime in?
    Part Needs: MOTUC
    FEEDBACK

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    So back to bad public relations already are we?

Promises about better communication with fans was a classic politician move. All promises per-election and complete BS post-election. Nice!

Put OUR money where YOUR mouth is and respond to this issue already. We kept your paycheck going for the next year, so you OWE us!

-Updated-

Wow, I seriously can't believe after all that hoopla over the subs, Scott has turned his back on yet another quality control issue. How have people already forgotten about this?

Too much forgiveness for this company. It is all empty promises just so they can make their sales quota, meanwhile NOTHING has changed. What an unbelievable joke.

PROVIDE AN ANSWER SCOTT, WE JUST WROTE YOUR PAYCHECK FOR ALL OF 2013!

On the Matty forums I believe he responded by saying to take the issue to customer service or whatever. Pretty crazy that this happened, though. I haven't been able to open my Spikor yet but it's really sad that he has this issue because he was one of my top 3 figures I wanted.

Hopefully they don't make this dumb mistake again.

Besides the knee joints, has anyone confirmed that Spikor's limbs are actually cast in black? I'm skeptical of this b/c his neck peg is cast in purple, and nobody has shown any evidence that his arms and legs are black.

Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
    On the Matty forums I believe he responded by saying to take the issue to customer service or whatever. Pretty crazy that this happened, though. I haven't been able to open my Spikor yet but it's really sad that he has this issue because he was one of my top 3 figures I wanted.

Hopefully they don't make this dumb mistake again.

Are you serious? Scott's response was to take this to Customer Service? HE IS THE BRAND MANAGER! HE SIGNS OFF ON PRODUCTION! This is a question that directly relates to him and he should give an answer as to why these figures--that he touts are "high-end" and "expensive to produce"--are having corners cut with every new figure that comes out.

Draego-Man is right: WE, THE FANS, signed his paycheck for another year. Scott is so blinded by his ego that he does not realize he is on thin ice. I don't think threats of ending the line will save a 2014 subscription. He needs to get these figures back in line, back to quality standard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    Yep, if we get black plastic in 2013 I'll cancel my credit card to get rid of the sub. Breach of trust Mattel!
    I agree. I bought a 2013 sub against my better judgement. I really do love the line and the figures, but there is only so much I can take. If my 2013 figures are not up to par, I'll be the first one calling my credit card company and either canceling it or blocking further charges from DRI MAtty Collector. I do not have any desire to collect figures that I think are cheap.

Scott, if you're reading this, you better realize that you're on thin ice with the majority of your customers. 2013 figures better justify the price increase and not have corners cut. Most of us know better than to believe that these things are costing you anywhere near $25 to produce.

Heroic Warrior
    It seems really weirs to me that people are complaining about stuff being painted. With almost any other toy line, people WANT stuff to be painted.

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Besides the knee joints, has anyone confirmed that Spikor's limbs are actually cast in black? I'm skeptical of this b/c his neck peg is cast in purple, and nobody has shown any evidence that his arms and legs are black.
    Vykron is also painted. Apparently at least, mine haven't arrived yet to be able to verify this.

Vykron is also painted. Apparently at least, mine haven't arrived yet to be able to verify this.
    We've seen the Vykron mess. But I haven't seen anything about Spikor except the knee joints. Why would they cast his neck peg in purple, if nothing else was?

Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    It seems really weirs to me that people are complaining about stuff being painted. With almost any other toy line, people WANT stuff to be painted.
    No, people want stuff to have good paint APPLICATIONS. We do not want a figure who is supposed to be purple molded in black and then painted purple. Paint wears off. No toy collector wants that much paint coverage, especially on joint areas. Pieces should be molded in a correctly colored plastic. If an entire arm, for example, should be purple, it should be molded purple and not in black and then painted purple.

Heroic Warrior
    Again...apparently only in MOTUC.

I have collected tons of toy lines and been a member of many message boards. This board is actually the newest to me. This sentiment is strange to me, since I have never heard people WANT molded plastic.

In fact, it was one of the biggest complaints about Hasbro's ML, and with their relaunch they have made an effort to use much more paint on them.

I'm not saying that molded plastic isn't right for MOTUC. It has worked beautifully for 4 years. It's just surprising that a couple painted parts are such a big deal to people.

Remind me guys... why is the plastic underneath being cast in the color of the skintone an important thing? If the paint wears off it wears off, so what's the difference if you see black or any other color under there? I get where paint rub along the joints means the black shows through or perhaps black repels paint more vigorously, but I personally have less problem with cost efficiency in the use of black plastic if it means I still get the proper (and number) accessories, paint apps, etc. on the figure. And honestly, has anyone really had overwhelming problems with black cast plastic? I've heard the rumblings, but have yet to see any major issues erupt with my figures. Maybe I've just been lucky??
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

It's simple: When people want stuff painted is usually in a shade of the color the plastic is molded to reduce the "plasticky" look that stuff have when plastic is molded in one color and left unpainted.

The complaint here is that characters like Vykron or spikor are being Molded in black Plastic and their flesh is being painted in their appropriate color. (Caucasian flesh for Vykron and Purple for Spikor.) This is troublesome on the joints (Shoulders, elbows, knees) where the pieces rub each other AND in some cases cause the paint to chip off and reveal the black plastic underneath...

If the plastic is molded in the appropriate color then the joints could work without peeling off paint and revealing the "weird" plastic beneath the paint.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior
    Fair enough, that reads differently than a lot of the other complaints. People seemed to be complaining that it was painted at all.

Nah, just that the plastic colour is a poor choice.

A lot of MOTU fans are very dramatic and if things don't go exactly the way they want it to, then Mattel is betraying their trust, stealing their money, and killeing teh lein.

Yep... it still fits.

That said, it makes no sense, but come on. I have Vykron on my shelf and as a display item, you can't tell anything. When I took him out of the package, disassembled him, and looked at him under the sunlight, yeah, I could notice that the arms were just the tiniest bit darker than the torso. Only because the joints were so tight that I really had to stare to see if there was some glue or the plastic fused or something. The figure didn't burst into flames, shatter into pieces, give me cancer, or spontaneously destroy the happiness I had for getting a new MOTU figure.

Spikor is purple. His chest is blue. What does it matter that his arms are painted? How does that make the figure less enjoyable to have on a shelf and to look at?

Wow, I seriously can't believe after all that hoopla over the subs, Scott has turned his back on yet another quality control issue. How have people already forgotten about this?

Too much forgiveness for this company. It is all empty promises just so they can make their sales quota, meanwhile NOTHING has changed. What an unbelievable joke.
    It took Scott like 2 months or so just to acknowledge the Swiftwind leg thing, and longer to acknowledge it was more widespread than a handful of figures. There are far worse things, like people who paid for Fisto not getting him at all, because stock ran out, then having to look for him in the 3rd party arena after being refunded....

Again...apparently only in MOTUC.

I have collected tons of toy lines and been a member of many message boards. This board is actually the newest to me. This sentiment is strange to me, since I have never heard people WANT molded plastic.

In fact, it was one of the biggest complaints about Hasbro's ML, and with their relaunch they have made an effort to use much more paint on them.

I'm not saying that molded plastic isn't right for MOTUC. It has worked beautifully for 4 years. It's just surprising that a couple painted parts are such a big deal to people.
    The painted parts, even on Transformers that are used for anything that will rub, is just a really bad idea, and sometimes Transformers would look nicer with paint instead of plastic, but to me the main thing with that is that silver plastic sucks and looks horrible, paint the silver parts....I don't want anything painted that will rub off or chip because I move the figure, these are "action" figures, and not much action to be had if moving the damn thing knocks paint off, and makes it look horrible afterwards....and you can still see the knee joints when you pose these things....a purple guy with flesh rot is what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    A lot of MOTU fans are very dramatic and if things don't go exactly the way they want it to, then Mattel is betraying their trust, stealing their money, and killeing teh lein.

Yep... it still fits.

That said, it makes no sense, but come on. I have Vykron on my shelf and as a display item, you can't tell anything. When I took him out of the package, disassembled him, and looked at him under the sunlight, yeah, I could notice that the arms were just the tiniest bit darker than the torso. Only because the joints were so tight that I really had to stare to see if there was some glue or the plastic fused or something. The figure didn't burst into flames, shatter into pieces, give me cancer, or spontaneously destroy the happiness I had for getting a new MOTU figure.

Spikor is purple. His chest is blue. What does it matter that his arms are painted? How does that make the figure less enjoyable to have on a shelf and to look at?
    It does when the paint is chipping off, and you see the black plastic poking out from his joints that you can see very clearly on the ones that did rub or chip off.

But you're OK with a figure that has potential to lose paint, and pay $20 - $22 for something any customizer or basic collector knows.....painted joints are bad, no matter how well executed the paint job, or type of paint?

We're paying a high premium plus a high shipping premium for these things....no one should complain when something is wrong or something stupid was done to the figure?

Like the whole Stinkor forearm thing, that being done on purpose was a really stupid move on the design teams part, the figure looks really bad and deformed, now you have a figure with painted joints that looks bad when the paint rubs off.

My Tri-Klops is MOSC, but you can see a little rubbing on the forearm where the part was pushed up against the Bicep and the paint rubbed a little. Paint anywhere the figures parts rub against another part, is bad, even when customizing, and you actually sand the joint to thin it out to compensate for the paint thickness, it can and likely does rub even after all of that.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; August 17, 2012 at 10:38pm.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    I'm hoping this black plastic isn't more widespread in 2013. I really like the faces being painted but painting an entire figure with so many points of articulation is dumb move.

Yeah, it may be saving them money in 2013, but the revenue they're going to lose from collectors like me who want to be able to pose my figures without worry of paint chips will cost them more in the longer run.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Actually, just thought of it.....just how the hell does paying the factory to have the figure submerged in paint by a worker (more labor), cost less than molding the plastic in color?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    I'm hoping this black plastic isn't more widespread in 2013. I really like the faces being painted but painting an entire figure with so many points of articulation is dumb move.

Yeah, it may be saving them money in 2013, but the revenue they're going to lose from collectors like me who want to be able to pose my figures without worry of paint chips will cost them more in the longer run.
    Saving them money, giving us 70% painted (paint rubbing off in joints) figures, while costing us more = crap ass move, that actually makes no sense....

I just hope that it's an isolated thing between Vykron & Spikor.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Saving them money, giving us 70% painted (paint rubbing off in joints) figures, while costing us more = crap ass move, that actually makes no sense....

I just hope that it's an isolated thing between Vykron & Spikor.

Yeah, I'm hoping the same thing. With so much parts reuse you'd think they could afford to use appropriately colored plastic. I haven't EVER said this before but if my 2013 subscription is full of black painted plastic figures, I will walk away from the line. I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it, so there it is.

The whole fiasco with the 2013 Club Eternia Subscription should have shown them that fans are voting with their wallets. A lot of broken promises and outright garbage about reversing Stinkor's forearms on purpose is Scott & company painting themselves into a corner that they won't be able to talk their way out of come next years push for the 2014 subscription.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Actually, just thought of it.....just how the hell does paying the factory to have the figure submerged in paint by a worker (more labor), cost less than molding the plastic in color?
    Materials can sometimes cost more than labor.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    Matty can always say it was a choice made by the design team to give Spikor a darker base coat without giving it a base coat. If they say they "mean't to do that" with Vykron, it aint' gonna work.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    This is a case of materials plus extra labor....so, it doesn't make sense for them to have done it. And plastic isn't that much vs the labor or the figures would be $40 by now, because every other figure was molded in correct colors, and we lost paint apps. It doesn't make sense that if Stinkor lost a few apps because of labor costs & paint, they turn around and paint almost an entire figure.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

So, is Sir Laser-lot painted over black plastic?
    Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!

painted skin tones are my biggest pet peeve in figures.
    i sold my man-e-faces (a figure i was thrilled to get) because he was cast in dark blue and had to be painted flesh tone everywhere.

i could sort of tell from the promo photos that spikor was cast in black and painted so i passed.
    i really hope going forward this isnt an issue. because it really cheapens the look of the figure in my opinion.

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Absolutely Rediculous... the figures look good.