Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you want your favrite MOTU character protrayed in a live action movie?

Heroic Warrior
    Excellent choice for Man at Arms King Tycho.
    "These are the days of high adventure"

Man-At-Arms---young guy with NO mustache just like the original
    Teela- good look in that attached concept... also, her outfit must be predominantly white.
    He-Man- Barbarian style--he can always add and remove armor as the situation requires
    Skeletor-- '87 movie did it just fine, but I would like to see more skin/muscle tone
    Beast Man- CGI
    Mer-Man- awesome makeup (sorta like Davy Jones' crew)
    Battle Cat- No talking, no Cringer, badass armor/saddle
    Stratos- open for interpretation
    Buzz-Off- really liked the 200x version

Also....
    How would you guys rectify the physics of some of the stranger characters?
    The spinning eyes and face of Tri-Klops and Man-E-Faces?
    The extendable neck of Mekanek? (I would prefer he not show up)
    etc..etc...

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    The 'Man-At-Arms' Duncan, has a mustache.
    ..if he didn't, then it would need to be joked about as, something like, "uh, Adam, I'm thinking about growing a little hair on my face.. what do you think?" and Adam would be like "sure". (not funny)

Also Cringors and Stridors talk.

..but yes, no Mekanek, at least it is a slight hint-able charater, in the background, maybe.

you know I think they could get Ron Perlman to play trap-jaw as he's not stranger to wearing lots of prostetics and looks like he could pull it off. also Timothy Oliphant would make a good Man-at Arms in my opinion

I'd like Christina Hendricks as The Sorceress. I think she has the right combination acting chomps, classic sex appeal, mature age, and can do motherly, wise, and intimidation to evil.
    Christina-Hendricks-the-2009-Emmy-Awards-mad-men-8244949-877-1222.jpg

I really want an Orko in it this time. Hopefully cgi but not overly cartoony. If they can do CG like in the style of John Carter than I will be a very happy camper.

I would want Orko. I wouldn't want this film to be too serious.

Quote Originally Posted by brianknott View Post
    Attachment 78307
    Jessica Biel as Teela.
    I've championed this idea since Blade 3
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Please please please put Orko in this. The movie can be serious, but put Orko in there for comedic balance. It worked with Star Wars (Threepio, Artoo, and Chewbacca) and Lord of the Rings (the hobbits and Gimli).

Quote Originally Posted by Burtonnut View Post
    Please please please put Orko in this. The movie can be serious, but put Orko in there for comedic balance. It worked with Star Wars (Threepio, Artoo, and Chewbacca) and Lord of the Rings (the hobbits and Gimli).
    yeah comic relief doesn't necessarily mean childish. Good writing can make it work. and i've always maintained (as they touched on in filmation) Orko's USE is that he can see through spells and sense magic just naturally. It gives a 100% valid reason to have him around. make him lack confidence in his spells most times but when his back is against the wall he shows ability. just write the humour well and then have it directed and acted well, it will work and he can easily be a fan favourite. just avoid the michael bay school of comedy.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Orko is very important to the story, and structure.
    Orko is the answer to Hordak.. ..and Hordak has what Orko needs.

It greatly requires the clear deffinition of magic use.
    Fire and Ice.
    Mind Control and Visions.
    Tela-Conetic and Crystalyn.

(Simple.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    Orko is very important to the story, and structure.
    Orko is the answer to Hordak.. ..and Hordak has what Orko needs.

It greatly requires the clear deffinition of magic use.
    Fire and Ice.
    Mind Control and Visions.
    Tela-Conetic and Crystalyn.

(Simple.)
    How is Orko the answer to Hordak? And what are you taking about w/ Crystalyn? Please tell me this is not another of your made up storyboard scenes.

I think Jessica Biel is too old for Teela. Likely they would want someone in their late teens to early twenties. Same for Adam, I would have thought.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick.Jeep View Post
    How is Orko the answer to Hordak? And what are you taking about w/ Crystalyn? Please tell me this is not another of your made up storyboard scenes.
    It's the episode A Talent for Trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I think Jessica Biel is too old for Teela. Likely they would want someone in their late teens to early twenties. Same for Adam, I would have thought.
    She can play mid twenties, we don't know how they are doing the film myp they were teens filmation they were adults, young but they were int heir 20s.

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Mick.Jeep View Post
    ..what is wrong with my work?
    (I am curious to know.)

Of course I try not to answer questions with questions. Nobody learns anything that way.

That quoted bit from me also answers the question, in that this work of Masters needs more clearity in the deffinition of magic for it to work as a story, a well writen story, with a begining and growth and an end.
    Does that help?

Sorry, but this guy looks exactly like the original toy Man-At-Arms.
    (he can act, get the hobbit out of your mind...)
    monaghanmanatarms.jpg

NO MUSTACHE!!!!

Christian Bale as Skeletor.
    Ron Perlman as Beastman.
    Chris Hemsworth as He-Man.
    Andy Serkis as Orko.

Boneface

Furbag

Musclebrain

Annoying little wizard
    Last edited by Thrashor; October 13, 2012 at 05:36pm.
    The most radical zombie, in all Eternia!
    YouTube: Mal TV - Metal, Toys, Video Games, & Beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    yeah comic relief doesn't necessarily mean childish. Good writing can make it work. and i've always maintained (as they touched on in filmation) Orko's USE is that he can see through spells and sense magic just naturally. It gives a 100% valid reason to have him around. make him lack confidence in his spells most times but when his back is against the wall he shows ability. just write the humour well and then have it directed and acted well, it will work and he can easily be a fan favourite. just avoid the michael bay school of comedy.
    I think "Pirates of the Caribbean" proved humor and good writing can fit. Though now I can't get a gruff Johnny Deep-voiced Orko out of my head.

I'm reading Schwarzenegger's new book 'Total Recall' and on page 229 he breifly/suttley mentions "He-Man roles".
    I love this book. Schwarzenegger for Randor!!

I don't know who exactly should portray Skeletor, BUT whoever they get should go the route
    of Brian Dobson. In the 2002 version He (IMHO) Successfully combined the menacing version
    of Skeletor in the minicomics, and DC/Marvel comics with the Snarkiness Alan Oppenheimer
    brought to the table. I liked Frank Langella's portrayal too, as he brought in a lot of stage
    presence, and theatrical delivery to the character, even if the costume was rather bad.

I don't see why they need to really CGI the character much either. A lot of times for something like that
    CGI actually looks goofier than practical effects. I think they should do a skull mask in the vein of General
    Kael from Willow. MAYBE you could use computer animation to animate the skull's jaw when talking,
    but that's about it. I think it'd probably be better to just have it be a mask face the whole time a la Bane
    from the last Batman movie.
    Then have the actor be painted blue (Think Mystique in X-Men) with the costume armor being actual metal purple armor
    but shaped like the 80's or 2000's version including the boots, and speared sashed loincloth. Pretty much the 2002 Action figure
    armor design but with the 1980's figure boots. And they'ed damn well better give him a bad ass Havoc Staff. Add our hooded skull helmet
    (A realistic looking one with black mesh the actor could see out of but the audience can't see his pupils through)

The toys quite honestly had completely doable costume designs for the most part (Some exceptions of course)
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Dolph Lungren for Skeletor.

That would be totoal awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
    Man-At-Arms---young guy with NO mustache just like the original
    Teela- good look in that attached concept... also, her outfit must be predominantly white.
    He-Man- Barbarian style--he can always add and remove armor as the situation requires
    Skeletor-- '87 movie did it just fine, but I would like to see more skin/muscle tone
    Beast Man- CGI
    Mer-Man- awesome makeup (sorta like Davy Jones' crew)
    Battle Cat- No talking, no Cringer, badass armor/saddle
    Stratos- open for interpretation
    Buzz-Off- really liked the 200x version

Also....
    How would you guys rectify the physics of some of the stranger characters?
    The spinning eyes and face of Tri-Klops and Man-E-Faces?
    The extendable neck of Mekanek? (I would prefer he not show up)
    etc..etc...
    Tri-Klops would not be difficult, as his signature look is simply a helmet with spinning optics. Man-E-Faces would also be easy, the spinning face plate could simply be CGI.

I agree with your thoughts on these characters, however a CGI Beastman would be a poor choice. I'd rather see some quality make-up. The Hellboy movies had excellent make ups, and CGI where necessary. The best movie creatures are a combination of traditional make ups, prosthetic and CGI.

The truth is, even the most outlandish designs can be sold, if they are created with care, attention to detail, and shot in the proper lighting. I truly hope any incarnations of our beloved MOTU villains (Whiplash, Clawful, Webstor, Beastman) are made with human actors, prosthetic and any trick to make them physically imposing and real. There is no shortage of talented creature/make-up actors in Hollywood. Its too bad Kevin Peter Hall is no longer with us, but I'm sure there are half a dozen quality men standing over 7'' that would gladly put on a foam suit to be a movie monster. Heck, there is a guy in my city who stands about 7'5''. When I see him, I feel like a 5 year old.

With the endless talented artists in Hollywood, the material just has to fall into the right hands, and I'm perfectly fine with updated designs that are slight departures from the original. As far as the whole Battlecat/Cringer talking debate, I would prefer a non talking Battlecat war beast. However as proven in The Chronicles of Narnia, The Golden Compass, and dozens of other successful sci-fi/fantasy movies, talking animals do work onscreen, providing (like everything) they are handled correctly.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; October 16, 2012 at 01:33am.

For Skeletor I was thinking about:

- Frank Langella
    - Michael Wincott (he would also make a great Keldor, I think)
    - Gary Oldman
    - Bill Nighy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    I agree with your thoughts on these characters, however a CGI Beastman would be a poor choice. I'd rather see some quality make-up. The Hellboy movies had excellent make ups, and CGI where necessary. The best movie creatures are a combination of traditional make ups, prosthetic and CGI.
    I agree, good prosthetics always look better than digital effects. Half of the time the CGI looks atrocious even with the biggest budgets.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Widget
    CGI has it's limits. The answer is Rick Baker. Baker is as 80s iconic as MOTU, and he's at the top of his game. CGI is what brought the new Star Wars movies to a sub par level. Yep, I prefer the Muppet Yoda. As cool as seeing him fight was. Masters has a large variety of characters, and if it is dealt with integrity I think it will succeed. Lord Of The Rings, with all of it's CGI, was a production very dedicated to old school make up and models. I think what we're all hoping to finally see after 30 years is Eternia come to life, not just animated.

Regarding Tri-Klops, I think it'd be cool if he is independent. Not so much an ally of Skeletor, but who's loyalties fall within his best interest. He has a lot of value, and has always been a favorite of mine. I would love to see him used heavily.

I'm personally not too worried about Orko or Adam as major players, and I agree that Battle Cat shouldn't talk. He-Man requires muscle more than acting ability, and hopefully they can find someone mammoth who can live up to the challenge.