View Poll Results: Which was more fun to collect? 200x or MOTUC?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • 200x system - Hunting in retail stores is for me!

24 15.48%
  • MOTUC system - I love having the figures show up at my door!

131 84.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which was more fun to collect? 200x or MOTUC?

Which was more fun to collect? 200x or MOTUC?

Now not taking sculpt or the figures themselves into account, which one was more fun to collect for all of you?

200x which was in stores and required quite a bit of hunting to find all the short packed characters.

MOTUC with the massive amount of problems that some people experience with DR and mattycollector.

Both have their negatives and positives, just curious which people actually prefer. We all see the DR complaints, just curious if people actually want to go back to the hunting that 200x brought.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

MOTUC, because the 200X figures are horrible, and I never bought a one.

MOTUC by far.

MOTUC is what I really wanted when 200X was happening. I supported 200X simply because it was MOTU even though I didn't like 99% of the redesigns.

The only thing that was fun about collecting the 200X figures was finding an Evil-Lyn or other short-packed figure on the shelves. Still, I'll take figures showing up at my doorstep over that hassle any day.

MOTUC is my dream MOTU line!!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Hmmmm...fun? That's tough. While neither one is what I would describe as "fun", I guess I'll have to say MOTUC merely because I enjoy the figures more as they are more closely related to the figures I had as a child.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

a Muppet of a man...
    Despite the flaws in the system, I love the MOTUC model much more. I was never big into "the hunt"... driving from retail store to retail store, hoping for something, leaving with nothing. If I hadn't had a buddy that worked in TRU in the 200x days to help me out, I probably would have gone nuts trying to track all that stuff down.

The Hunt can be fun for my more "casual" collections (TMNT, licensed HW cars, certain SW items), but I love the ease and fun of getting toys shipped monthly.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I loved the 200X line and those unique sculpts, but I HATED hunting for them at retail. I worked during hunting hours and as a result, missed the chance to get many figures. The majority of my figure collection, I got from eBay and LCBS starting with Mer-Man.

I'd much rather get my figures in the mail every month, than waste time and gas hunting around. I had it with competing with collectors and resellers or uncooperative associates who don't want to look for things.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I voted Motuc, but with all of this sub drama--200x is looking not so bad now

MOTUC IS more fun to collect, not was!

Finding individual characters in the 200X line was a major pain as I had to look online and at collectible stores. MOTUC is definitely a huge improvement, the only problem I have with it is the waiting.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I MUCH prefer to have them show up at my door every month! The sub works perfectly for me

It's a toss up, I don't mind the retail aspect of the toys, finding them at almost every toy carrying store, when the pegs get clogged turning to online to complete my wants list....

I didn't like 200X, so that's not a good comparison for me, but I chased Transformers & Hot Wheels at retail. While I don't mind the online ordering, I am much more an instant gratification guy myself, and honestly don't like the whole sub thing. Ordering online is one thing, but the sub is another, it creates too many rifts between collectors, like we see here so much, subscribers moan about pickers (not all subscribers, I know, but even a few, the same few over and over, make it tiresome), pickers get tired of the arrogance and bullying.

Retail can create scalpers, so it's a 50/50 on either, both have positives, and both have negatives, but as far as it goes, I will always prefer walking down the aisle and picking up a collectable first hand, and taking it home same day. But on the other hand, Classics has set release dates, you know when they're available, so you can be among the first to get there to get them, I really don't know how to vote....

My initial preference is for retail, so there you go.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I didn't collect 200x....didn't care for them. My son loves them now so we hunt here and there. I like hunting and I like the excitement when you find that one guy your looking for at the back of the peg on the shelf! But I love the classics figures! Guess ya can't have your cake and eat it too......I personally think the hunt is more fun though, especially since I can share it with my son. Click and buy just isn't the same, even though I think these figures are a million times better!

MOTUC is way more fun to collect. I wish there had been a subscription back during the 200x days. I know some people prefer the hunt, but I'd rather have a mostly complete collection instead of large gaps due to being unable to find the product in the first place.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    MOTUC is way more fun to collect. I wish there had been a subscription back during the 200x days. I know some people prefer the hunt, but I'd rather have a mostly complete collection instead of large gaps due to being unable to find the product in the first place.
    But....you still may have gaps even with Classics....

Depends on who they decide are hot characters enough for 2014....and if the sub makes it through for 2015....

I will have a large hole if they don't make it to Mantenna & Dragstor....and possibly Rio Blast....I have his arms on my Vintage MAA's body, so I assume I used to own him, even though I can't remember him in my collection.... Dragstor is necessary for my collection, in all his rip corded goodness, I still have my Vintage bug eyed 4 legger, so I still need my Classics fix of him....
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I don't have enough time to hunt down toys in stores. Delivered to my door is perfect.

Also, I loved the 200x cartoon but the figures were ho-hum. Classics sculpts are much better IMO.

glad to see the result of this poll.

Yep, glad to have them as such. ect ect

I voted 200x but not for the reason given with that option. I liked it better because every redesign was a surprise. With the classics you pretty much know what most characters are going to look like even before they are announced. Now if 200x was offered on matty collector that would have been perfect IMO.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

The hunt was great back in 200X, well, until the smash/spin blade debacle. It took me forever to find Mechaneck and the only snake men I managed to get was king hssss.

MOTUC has been a little different, the reveals have been great. I know a lot of people wanna know in advance what they are getting, but I'm in for as long as they make em. Waiting for Mechaneck this time bout killed me, but it was worth it, I can't wait to get him. Rattlor also looks great and can't wait to add him as well.

200X to me was just something the tied over until MOTUC, the toys anyway. I enjoyed all of 200X cartoon and comics (thanks Val and Emiliano).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Karaoke Extraordinaire Wun2 III's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong, I loved the hunt, but at times it got frustrating for me with 200x. I was employed by a major retailer throughout the life of the 200x line, and I still had trouble getting certain figures. I'm still missing several figures from the last few waves.

Nothing like getting MOTUC figures at my door via subscription!
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

"If the connection ends up being Scott Neitlich sitting at his desk,
    I'm gonna punch Scott in the face!" -JVS3 RGD Ep072

I worked on the advertising for the 200X toy line, and I couldn't even get figures directly from Mattel. That tells you something. It took me about 5 years to get Merman. My disgust with not being able to find nearly anything other than a zillion variants of He-man and Skeletor made me quit the line before the stactions debuted. I've never caught up with the stactions... and I probably never will.

Suffice it to say, I'm very happy for the sub. The pre-sub days were horrible. Now the worst part is just waiting for my toys to stop looping through Sparks, NV and get to my house.

The thrill of seeing new toys in the store IMO can't be beat by home delivery, but it's ALWAYS great to get mail that's not a bill and esp a toy. What made MOTUC more fun to collect for me though is how there are more new unique characters over variants
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    200x was impossible to find in stores.
    Ebay was expensive & was long dragged out.
    The hunt was fun, but I don't like going trough all that.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    I can't help but judge by the sculpts, which didn't win me over at all when it came to 200x. I bought them at the time because, well, He-Man was back, and in UK stores to boot! But, they couldn't stand up and the articulation was a bit lame, and I got sick of seeing yet another He-Man variant on the racks.... Now we have no toy shops at all here, so hunting is out of the question for any line that's lucky enough to make it to these shores.

Classics all the way! A brand new, brilliantly designed figure turning up at my door each month... awesome!
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

Granted, I was excited that MOTU was 'new' again. It was great to have new product, and a new cartoon!

That said, 200X was not fun to collect at all. I hate short packed figures. I hate anything that's limited edition. 'The Chase' was not fun to me in the least. A simple 6" action figure that's available at retail should not be that hard to find. It would be different if I was collecting thousand dollar swords or something rare.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!