Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 336

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread August 2012

  1. #51
    Warrior of Evolution 13977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    6,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bolty-Neck View Post
    Is Mike Bock wrong about the following?
    Nice, thanks for correcting me, I think it was the question that lead me to believe they were the same vintage sculpt. But thats great, it means the Classic figures wont have the same head
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

    Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

  2. #52
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Muncie, IN
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    The thing is, I feel like we're getting a lot of conflicting statements. Wasn't Scott promising to complete most of vintage MOTU and the core POP and NA characters in 2014 'if we just hit the minimum?' While I realize 2014 funding is based on 2013 sales, at no point do I recall him saying that they had to sell a certain amount above the minimum to continue giving us a basic 12 figure subscription. To potentially reduce 2014 to 6 figures seems drastic. I get they have to get rid of SOME items, but something just isn't adding up here, imo.

    I also read somewhere that 2012 was a peak year. Wasn't 2011 the peak year?
    He said (Ok I'm paraphrasing here) they would promise to try to get through all the vintage, important POP & NA by the end of 2014. People need to remember it's not all up to Scott he has to have approvals to get this stuff done. With the dramatic drop in subscriptions even from 2012 to next year, it's been a drop from 2011 on. Mattel's confidence in the line will continue to drop. I would like at least 12-16 figures next year also, but I'd rather have 6 than none. Also a 6 figure subscription would probably do extremely well as most everyone should be able to afford it.

    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    DCIE didn'y even hit 100% last year, and they went ahead, AND there are 12 slots for 2013. So why is there a different standard for MOTUC, which actually costs Mattel less because of the reuse of parts and the fact that they don't have to pay for a license?
    DCIE uses even more parts reuse for it's subscription figures, has no 100% tooled figures and did drop all the oversized figures except the sub exclusive for 2013. Also the license Mattel paid for wasn't just for the DCIE subscription but for the retail lines -DC Unlimited (now), Batman Unlimited, Batman Movie Lines, the other Batman line (sorry i can't think of the name of it?), DC Action League, and 2 Fisher Price lines. The DC sub is just another may for Mattel to earn back some of the cost for the license.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    Am the only really miffed about this?

    I really, truly, am. I feel suckered!

    I wanna know when do we find out if its gonna be 6 or 12 or 7, 8, 9 10 *** ever.
    Probably won't find out until SDCC 2013, so might as well enjoy the rest of 2012 and the 1st half of 2013.

    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    There's parts re-use in DC. They went ahead with the sub, but not the sub for uniquely tooled figures. MOTUC has that, and also has more product.
    Exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    So let me get this straight, Scott wants to have Plundor made simply because he wants it badly himself, and yet he's skipping on the vehicles (especially Battle-Ram) because the Wind-Raider didn't perform as much as Mattel would've liked?
    So according to this hypocrisy, if Plundor was a DOS item, he could perform better than Battle-Ram!!!!!!! Give me a freakin break!

    I really wonder what kinda of universe TG lives in sometimes?

    VERY DISAPPOINTING ANSWERS MR. TG...
    Plundor would be part of the subscription and be guaranteed sales. That being said I would much rather have the Battle Ram also, Plundor can never get made and I'll be fine with it, in fact I prefer he never gets made.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrashWatchman View Post
    Pludor has been a highly demanded figure for quite some time. I don't want him, but I'm sure for every one of me, there are a dozen fans who do.
    I don't know about highly demanded? I could certainly do without Plundor, Songster, Twiggits, NA Scientists, Chef Allen, Josh, Crackers, and probably a few more less than relevent characters.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    If only 6 figures in 2014 = broken promise to finish most of the vintage line and POP and Filmation A-listers!
    We need a full line of 16 figures + 2 exclusives to get even close. In fact we would need this for 2014 and 2015 to achieve this goal!

    I really don't get it. When Toyguru made that promise he thought we would barely hit the minimum of sub sales. Now we're 35% above it and he says we might only get 6 figures in 2014?
    It's not as black and white as that, there are more factors than just hitting the minimum number of subscriptions. This is a major corporation and Scott doesn't get to make all the decisions on his own.

    Quote Originally Posted by redsquadron View Post
    Scott has comitted to nothing for 2014 yet and we're already accusing him of "breaking promises"... Wow, even I hate us sometimes.
    Exactly.

  3. #53
    Heroic Hero Grayskull's Heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Castle Grayskull
    Posts
    2,645
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    It's not as black and white as that, there are more factors than just hitting the minimum number of subscriptions. This is a major corporation and Scott doesn't get to make all the decisions on his own.
    Fair enough!
    But if this is the case he shouldn't make promises about things that he has no control over!
    Awesome sticker included!

  4. #54
    Heroic Warrior EldestSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,644
    Toy Guru Please Help Regarding Sub Error Code

    Dear Toy Guru, I have been trying to order subs for the motuc line for the last 48 hours (before it closed) but kept getting this error code when trying to add to cart . Error 2151021077 is an invalid value for m. I am based in the UK but I doubt this should make a difference. I have contacted customer service but with no reply. Please can you help as I like many others am committed to keeping this great line going.

    Please help and I look forward to hearing from you.

    Just call customer service and they can help you out
    seems like as soon as TG reads that there's a CS issue, he stops reading. the guy said he contacted CS and they didn't reply.

    i realize TG can't help in this situation directly, but he could have at least provided all of the contacts or the link to the CS page.

  5. #55
    Evil Collapsing Robot! Zodach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,272
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashWatchman View Post
    Pludor has been a highly demanded figure for quite some time. I don't want him, but I'm sure for every one of me, there are a dozen fans who do.
    Plundor is not "highly demanded." That phrase gets thrown around way too much. I don't believe for one minute that there are a dozen fans that want him for every one that doesn't. There are a lot of people outside He-man.org that probably collect this line that have no idea who Plundor is and no desire to pay $25+ for him.

  6. #56
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Muncie, IN
    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    Fair enough!
    But if this is the case he shouldn't make promises about things that he has no control over!
    But his promise wasn't a guarantee, it was a promise to try, they reworked the schedule to only include vintage, and the "most important" POP & NA. If Mattel says well were only going to give you the budget for 6 figures next year because of the dramatic decline from 2011 to 2012 to 2013, he can't just do what he wants. It all depends on sale of the subscription for the budget moving forward.

  7. #57
    +2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    If only 6 figures in 2014 = broken promise to finish most of the vintage line and POP and Filmation A-listers!
    We need a full line of 16 figures + 2 exclusives to get even close. In fact we would need this for 2014 and 2015 to achieve this goal!

    I really don't get it. When Toyguru made that promise he thought we would barely hit the minimum of sub sales. Now we're 35% above it and he says we might only get 6 figures in 2014?
    Quote Originally Posted by redsquadron View Post
    Scott has comitted to nothing for 2014 yet and we're already accusing him of "breaking promises"... Wow, even I hate us sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    He said (Ok I'm paraphrasing here) they would promise to try to get through all the vintage, important POP & NA by the end of 2014. People need to remember it's not all up to Scott he has to have approvals to get this stuff done.

    It's not as black and white as that, there are more factors than just hitting the minimum number of subscriptions. This is a major corporation and Scott doesn't get to make all the decisions on his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    Fair enough!
    But if this is the case he shouldn't make promises about things that he has no control over!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    But his promise wasn't a guarantee, it was a promise to try, they reworked the schedule to only include vintage, and the "most important" POP & NA. If Mattel says well were only going to give you the budget for 6 figures next year because of the dramatic decline from 2011 to 2012 to 2013, he can't just do what he wants. It all depends on sale of the subscription for the budget moving forward.
    I'm with Grayskull's Heir on this. I can appreciate you guys sticking up for Scott, but at some point it moves beyond subjective semantics and miscommunication. Did he outright lie? Maybe not. Was he deceitful? Yes. While we were still at a dismal state and even making the bare minimum seemed questionable, he portrayed 2014 as something that he knew was essentially impossible. He elaborately painted a picture of effectively finishing vintage Motu and hitting the major PoP and NA. The thing is, he led us to believe that this would be attainable if we merely pushed the subs through, not if we found and delivered to him the head of medusa, the golden fleece, the Holy Grail, and the Ark of the Covenant. Throwing the word "try" into a promise doesn't legitimize it if you know it's not possible before you even say it. And as Grayskull's Heir said, if he honestly didn't know what he was talking about, he shouldn't have been making claims to start with.

  8. #58
    Wise Old Trollan Uncle Montork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    South Philly, PA
    Posts
    5,754

    2014 looking to be quite small according to Toyguru's posts...

    Got these posts from TG in my email this morning...

    "We won't be able to get to every figure by 2014, but we will ensure all figs we can do are vintage toys or main Filmation characters. While we did hit 130% or so of e BARE MIN that is still extra ely low so it is doubtful we will get enough skus in 2014 to completely finsih the vintage line. But it will be our focus."

    When asked about 12 or more for 2014:

    "That will be up to management. I don't know at this point how many slots we will have for 2014."

    "Whether we can do 12 figures or just 6 remains to be seen."

    "2014 will definately be smaller then 2013 and 2012 since
    we only sold a little over the extreme bare min to do 2013. "

    "While we sold above the bare min to keep 2013 alive, the 135% of the bare min is still WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY smnaller then we had for 2012 or any other year.

    So knowing this, and knowing 2014 will be a smaller year (as far as number of skus) we will definately concentrate on just the vintage figs going forward to try and finish the line. "

    "2014 will definately be smaller then 2013 (since even at 135% of the bare min quota we were still WAYYYYYYYY lower then 2012 or 2011). We had enough to save 2013, but not enough to keep expanding or even match 2014 to 2013 size. 2014 will be smaller then 2013 or 2012 but not gone."

    When asked how many figs in 2014:

    "We don't know at this point. It will likely be fewer then 2013 but not none at all."

    Anybody else get the vibe 2014 is gonna be 6 figs... or less?
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

  9. #59
    Heroic Warrior Mern-Ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,447
    I was surprised by these posts as well...I thought 2014 would have at least 1 figure per month, which would have been fine with me...but less than that? I kinda thought the whole point of making sure 2013 went through was so that we could have 2 more full years of MOTUC.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

    Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

    The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

  10. #60
    Evil Doctor of Soda dr thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kentucky unfortunately
    Posts
    353
    The fact that he continuously spells definitely "definately" bugs me more than it probably should.

  11. #61
    Heroic Warrior enoch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    nashville, tn
    Posts
    868
    I want atleast the twelve. We need our four quarterlies also dang it. That why I got a 2013 sub cause on roast gooble he promised atleast that much!

  12. #62
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,704
    I think we might get a two-part sub like DC did this year. The first part will be the minimum for 6 figures. The second part will be the minimum for twelve figures.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

  13. #63
    Evil Collapsing Robot! Zodach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,272
    If they take the quarterly slots out, they will automatically be reducing the price of the sub by $180. That's pretty significant and coupled with a strong lineup, I would think they would be able to get the minimum number of subscribers for a 12 figure sub in 2014.

  14. #64
    Heroic Warrior He-Kal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    974
    Wasn't there basically a promise if we MET 100% for the 2013 sub, we would see most if not all vintage heavy hitters finished in 2014? I'm sorry, but this sounds like a back pedal to me
    Last edited by He-Kal; August 8, 2012 at 02:22pm.

  15. #65
    Heroic Warrior I, Harbinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    I'm with Grayskull's Heir on this. I can appreciate you guys sticking up for Scott, but at some point it moves beyond subjective semantics and miscommunication. Did he outright lie? Maybe not. Was he deceitful? Yes. While we were still at a dismal state and even making the bare minimum seemed questionable, he portrayed 2014 as something that he knew was essentially impossible. He elaborately painted a picture of effectively finishing vintage Motu and hitting the major PoP and NA. The thing is, he led us to believe that this would be attainable if we merely pushed the subs through, not if we found and delivered to him the head of medusa, the golden fleece, the Holy Grail, and the Ark of the Covenant. Throwing the word "try" into a promise doesn't legitimize it if you know it's not possible before you even say it. And as Grayskull's Heir said, if he honestly didn't know what he was talking about, he shouldn't have been making claims to start with.
    Pretty much. I'll wait for clarification, but like I said, however many figures we get in 2014 isnt the point. If he used "Core PoP/NA/Filmation in 2014" to sell the 2013 sub (a BIG reason I and many others subscribed), that better be followed up on - I don't care if it's 1/6 yearly figures for each faction. He used that to sell the subs, and if that's changing the day after they're sold I'll be more than happy to cancel and walk away. Regardless of intent or control, you can't do that to consumers, it's dirty.

  16. #66
    T-Man tmc1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    England, U.K.
    Posts
    2,060
    i think TG is just simply being sensible about what he is saying - after all the drama leading up to yesterday, we didn't know if there was going to be a line or not ...

    i think a further scale-back in 2014 is inevitable, given what's happened with 2013 - yes, we got enough subscriptions to continue the line - but as time goes on, the line will get smaller which = less interest in it ... sorry if that sounds bleak, but it's the reality ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

    USE YOUR ILLUSION

  17. #67
    Heroic Warrior Fug-Lee-Faces's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    Wasn't there basically a promise if we MET 100% we would see most if not all vintage heavy hitters finished in 2014? I'm sorry, but this sounds like a back pedal to me
    This more than sounds like back-pedaling. It IS back-pedaling. Scott PROMISED that if we got 2013 secured, he would re-toll 2014 to get all remaining heavy-hitter characters. I'm telling you, the longer I collect this line, the more I hate Toy Guru and Mattel in general. It's nothing but doom and gloom over and over with constant threats. We got 135% of minimum, and now all of a sudden Scott takes on an attitude of "Well, it's good that we got 2013, but you guys didn't do enough so now I'm going to threaten you with a small 2014 line up." And this comes after he PROMISED us a FANTASTIC 2014 line up!

    Seriously, I'm so glad I didn't let him sucker me into more than one sub. If I was one of the people who bought multiples and I read all his comments, I would be IRATE.


  18. #68
    T-Man tmc1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    England, U.K.
    Posts
    2,060
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    Wasn't there basically a promise if we MET 100% for the 2013 sub, we would see most if not all vintage heavy hitters finished in 2014? I'm sorry, but this sounds like a back pedal to me
    2014 will be without doubt primarily vintage, as TG has said in one of the above quotes ... but how many we have left by then remains to be seen ... and he probably doesn't want to make any bold statements right now until they plan it out fully ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

    USE YOUR ILLUSION

  19. #69
    Heroic Warrior Wrytor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    98
    Unfortunately they base the following year on this year's sales. So conceivably you could see a small year next year, but when it's revealed to be ALL characters that people want, fans go all-in in a big way. So Mattel thinks, great, let's up the resources for 2015 - then comes with a sub that's at least half figures people are mixed on, because that's all that's left...and we go through this year all over again.

  20. #70
    Heroic Warrior Inhibitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,703
    Hmm, it doesn't look very good for 2014 being a full 12 figs, but this actually might work to the line's advantage. I mean if we're getting only the most recognizeable vintage stuff in a smaller concentrated amounts, it might just spark enough to expand into 2015 with Filmation, NA and POP stuff.

    From the sounds of it, the heretics in management that have no faith in the line may not be willing to amp things back up again now that they smelled weakness anyway. At least there's hope until then.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

  21. #71
    Heroic Warrior Fug-Lee-Faces's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc1984 View Post
    2014 will be without doubt primarily vintage, as TG has said in one of the above quotes ... but how many we have left by then remains to be seen ... and he probably doesn't want to make any bold statements right now until they plan it out fully ...
    The problem with this statement is that TG already PROMISED us a 2014 line up that would basically finish off all major missing characters. Now he's back-pedaling. This is the kind of stuff that will ensure 2014 fails, and I can tell you, I will be the first to abandon the line come 2014 if he keeps this crap up. WE SAVED HIS ARSE, and now that he got what he wants, he's back to his old ways of "Well...I cant guarantee anything..."

    BS. ToyGuru needs to go.

  22. #72
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sanford, FL
    Posts
    1,292
    As one who is inclined to stick up for Scott given all the ridiculous stuff he has to endure from the fanbase, I will say that his statements in the push for the 2013 sub gave the impression that we would get at least 12 monthly figures. So, I think it would be wise for that to happen if they want people to stick around. Depending on who they are releasing this year, they could easily make 12 classic figures 2013 that don't require much new tooling. Ninjor, Clamp Champ, Squeeze, Glimmer, Flogg, Hydron, NA He-Man, Strong Arm, Sea Hawk, Scorpia, Icer, Filmation Hordak, and several others are all figures that should not need a lot of new tooling. So, Mattel doesn't have to break the bank on their tooling budget for 2014.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

    Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

  23. #73
    Heroic Warrior Tmelton78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Carrollton, Texas
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    This more than sounds like back-pedaling. It IS back-pedaling. Scott PROMISED that if we got 2013 secured, he would re-toll 2014 to get all remaining heavy-hitter characters.
    Didn't he promise the heavy hitters from POP, NA and Filmation along with all of the vintage figures from Masters by the end of 2014?

  24. #74
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sanford, FL
    Posts
    1,292
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    If they take the quarterly slots out, they will automatically be reducing the price of the sub by $180. That's pretty significant and coupled with a strong lineup, I would think they would be able to get the minimum number of subscribers for a 12 figure sub in 2014.
    I agree. It should not be difficult to do 13 figures, 12 monthly plus one sub exclusive. The total before shipping would only be $325, which is better for a lot of fans. Plus, there are a lot of remaining figures that are not going to need extensive new tooling even if they need some new parts made.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

    Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

  25. #75
    -World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Snake Mountain MI
    Posts
    1,017
    TG should go back to basics and try to get 12 figs out for 2014. Like Zodach said, take the quarterly slots out and BAM there we go! We will have a more affordable "heavy hitter" subscription model that will sell BIG TIME.
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •