Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good base body for Bionatops custom?

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar

Good base body for Bionatops custom?

Hey everyone!
    Since we most likely won't ever see a MOTUC Bionatops, I desperatly want to make myself a custom of it.
    Now I'm looking for a good base model/ figure of a triceratops. It doesn't need to be articulated.
    It should be big enough to fit to MOTUC of course - as big or even bigger than Battle Cat.

Anyone got an idea what I could use?

Greetings
    DB
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; August 9, 2012 at 11:35am.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    giant triceratops by collecta, maybe?

Scale 1:15
    l 72 cm x h 30 cm (l 28" x h 11")

it should cost about € 100 ($ 120).

There's a triceratops at my Toys R Us that's the right size. It's got a foam interior and a laxtex foam exterior, and no articulation. Decent paintjob too! I bought it just for this reason of making him into Bionatops, I just have to figure out how to get things to stick to him so I can make him "mechanized". Other than that, he fits PD He-Man perfectly on his frill. Cost me $12USD.

Other than him (and I've been searching every toystore around here, eBay, and other online places), the only other trike I can think of maybe working would be from Jurassic Park.
    From my youth and hometown when I was a kid...He-Matt and the Masters of the Kunaverse!

My feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=214152
    My customs thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=215292
    My B/S/T thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ings-For-Sale!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    giant triceratops by collecta, maybe?

Scale 1:15
    l 72 cm x h 30 cm (l 28" x h 11")

it should cost about € 100 ($ 120).

I've seen that one. While the sculpt would be perfect - the size () is way too big.
    If there's anything with a similar sculpt and about half that size, that'd be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistico View Post
    There's a triceratops at my Toys R Us that's the right size. It's got a foam interior and a laxtex foam exterior, and no articulation. Decent paintjob too! I bought it just for this reason of making him into Bionatops, I just have to figure out how to get things to stick to him so I can make him "mechanized". Other than that, he fits PD He-Man perfectly on his frill. Cost me $12USD.

http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/...S/DSCF1745.jpg

Other than him (and I've been searching every toystore around here, eBay, and other online places), the only other trike I can think of maybe working would be from Jurassic Park.
    I know that one. The problem is that the soft foam material doesn't do it for me. Also the details are too obscured for my taste.
    I own the Jurassic Park Triceratops. It#s got pretty much the same problems and doesn't look good enough sculpt-wise.
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; August 9, 2012 at 02:05pm.

You might take a look at the site of dinosaurstore (don't know if I may put a link up here), they sell transformable dinosaurs but the triceratops and (giant) t-rex they have should scale up great with vintage motu. (but mine is still in its original packaging in robot form so I only had He-man sitting above the Dino head outside the bubble but it looked great)
    I have an earlier release triceratops when the line was called Dino-Eden and when looking up info on him I came through their site. It is possable and such and they are not that expensive at all (don't know about shipping cost).

If you can't find the store let me know and I'll pm you a link.

Attachment 78040 Just took this pick so you can get an idea scale wise
    Last edited by motumulder; August 9, 2012 at 02:22pm.
    Nope.... nothing here! Just a link to my site http://motumulder.webklik.nl/page/fotoalbum with customs!

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Ya... I think it's perfect. I got one too.

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    http://www.dinotoyblog.com/wp-conten...lectABig-4.jpg

I've seen that one. While the sculpt would be perfect - the size () is way too big.
    If there's anything with a similar sculpt and about half that size, that'd be perfect.

uhm, i see, maybe:
    Geoworld Jurassic Action- Triceratops

it's about the size you're looking for, but honestly when i had in hands it looked a little bit
    small in proportions compared to motuc, but it's articulated, as well.

If you want realism, the Collecta one should be downright perfect. MOTUC figs are 1/12 scale, so 1/15 is actually slightly small for a real Trike.

Actually, at that size, all you need are the parts from Roboraptor to pull off the techno-look!
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

I got the same one but in Green and it's perfect why spend $120 + dollars just for the figure alone?

I got the JP one that I am going to make a 200X style Bionatops...

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I got the same one but in Green and it's perfect why spend $120 + dollars just for the figure alone?

I got the JP one that I am going to make a 200X style Bionatops...
    Awesome idea! I have a JP (head-butting) Trike as well as the foam one I shown above (bought both in case one didn't work). Now I need to get an extra 200x He-Man to make into "The Stranger" for it!
    From my youth and hometown when I was a kid...He-Matt and the Masters of the Kunaverse!

Widget

I'm sorry, but that picture is hilarious. It look's like He-Man jumped on the wrong dinosaur, and that triceratops wants nothing to do with him. Best of luck with the customization, it sound like it might be challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon View Post
    I'm sorry, but that picture is hilarious. It look's like He-Man jumped on the wrong dinosaur, and that triceratops wants nothing to do with him. Best of luck with the customization, it sound like it might be challenging.
    Looking at it, you're right and I had to laugh. Hopefully I can find some robotic parts to put over the legs and make it look more like the mini-comic. The biggest challenge thus far is getting anything to stick to it. Hot glue and superglue are not working very well. (Sorry, if it looks like I'm taking over your thread, Dragonblaster; I'm not meaning to.)

Quote Originally Posted by motumulder View Post
    You might take a look at the site of dinosaurstore (don't know if I may put a link up here), they sell transformable dinosaurs but the triceratops and (giant) t-rex they have should scale up great with vintage motu. (but mine is still in its original packaging in robot form so I only had He-man sitting above the Dino head outside the bubble but it looked great)
    I have an earlier release triceratops when the line was called Dino-Eden and when looking up info on him I came through their site. It is possable and such and they are not that expensive at all (don't know about shipping cost).

If you can't find the store let me know and I'll pm you a link.

Attachment 78040 Just took this pick so you can get an idea scale wise
    Thanks for that pic! It's a nice size for vintage figures. But I think for MOTUC it'd be way too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    uhm, i see, maybe:
    Geoworld Jurassic Action- Triceratops

it's about the size you're looking for, but honestly when i had in hands it looked a little bit
    small in proportions compared to motuc, but it's articulated, as well.
    That one looks great to work with MOTUC! And with about 35 - 40 cm length it might be about the right size. Maybe only a tiny bit too small. And him being articulated is a bonus I didn't even expect it to have.
    I think I'll try this one!

I made a mock-up to see how he might look in green colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffrod View Post
    If you want realism, the Collecta one should be downright perfect. MOTUC figs are 1/12 scale, so 1/15 is actually slightly small for a real Trike.
    Actually, at that size, all you need are the parts from Roboraptor to pull off the techno-look!
    That's true, but I don't think I have enough space to display a dinnosaur THAT large
    Just uimagine you wanted to customize an inscale Gigantosaurus or a Tyrantisaurus !
    I think if he was slightly smaller it would work better with MOTUC's proportions in general. I don't want Tytus or Megator to be puny in comparison (height-wise).

Looking at it, you're right and I had to laugh. Hopefully I can find some robotic parts to put over the legs and make it look more like the mini-comic. The biggest challenge thus far is getting anything to stick to it. Hot glue and superglue are not working very well. (Sorry, if it looks like I'm taking over your thread, Dragonblaster; I'm not meaning to.)
    This thread wasn't intended to be solely for me, but to encourage others to discuss aswell.
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; August 10, 2012 at 01:12am.

I picked up the Jurassic Park Triceratops at a thrift shop a while back, just in case I wanted to try this.

I think the size is decent and the sculpt isn't awful, but I'm not loving how soft it is. I'm not sure how well the surface would take paint, plus it's got the trademark JP gash in its side showing a bit of flesh and bone. Sculpting over that on soft rubber may be a problem, but a saddle or techno-parts may cover it up.

Honestly, my biggest problem when I got the thing home was He-Man, since he's got that long skirt. Seems like I'd have to do a saddle meant specifically for him that may not work well with other figures, or the other way around.

Well, I just went ahead and ordered one of GEOWORLD's Triceratops models.
    It will arrive on Tuesday.
    I already noticed though that it is advertised as being 51 cm long. The dinosaur actually is only about 35 cm in length!
    Talking about false advertising...
    51 cm would of course have been the perfect size for me. But I'm going to wait and see how he'll look next to PD He-Man once he arrives.

You could use a spare Battle cat and just sculpt away....It's lots of work but just saying..... I DO like the big one on post #4....Sweet.
    Sale/Trade//Feedback//MOTU Customs// MOTUC Albums//MOTU Fans Puerto Rico Chapter

I got lazy...So here is a link to my NON MOTU Collection!
    Collection and NON MOTU Customs

XBOX ONE Gamertag: Avenger PR PAC
    PSN: Avenger12PR

I just received my Geoworld Triceratops...
    Well while the sculpt and joints would be PERFECT for a MOTUC Bionatops, the size...

Pretty sad he turned out to be THIS small. The size relations between this dinosaur and He-Man are pretty similar to those of the vintage figures though.
    The Triceratops is just as big as the MOTUC cats/ griffin and the griffin's saddle fits (the belt is too short though).
    Damn it! he would be SO good...

I just received my Geoworld Triceratops...
    Well while the sculpt and joints would be PERFECT for a MOTUC Bionatops, the size...

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...h/geoworld.jpg

Pretty sad he turned out to be THIS small. The size relations between this dinosaur and He-Man are pretty similar to those of the vintage figures though.
    The Triceratops is just as big as the MOTUC cats/ griffin and the griffin's saddle fits (the belt is too short though).
    Damn it! he would be SO good...
    OW that sucks!! I've been looking for one too, I was considering the TRU $12 one but I dislike pats of him, and I was hoping for articulation. I could attempt cutting and resuclpting, but I'm unsure how to stick foam back together and if sculpy will stay attached! I REALLY like the one you bought EXCEPT for the size. AUGH!!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    OW that sucks!! I've been looking for one too, I was considering the TRU $12 one but I dislike pats of him, and I was hoping for articulation. I could attempt cutting and resuclpting, but I'm unsure how to stick foam back together and if sculpy will stay attached! I REALLY like the one you bought EXCEPT for the size. AUGH!!
    You know, the thing that's driving me mad is it was advertised as being 51 cm long. It actually is only 36 cm !
    Regarding the one made from foam. I think you#re right about it being hard to customize. It might be hard to attach/ sculpt on anything onto that rubbery surface.

Right now I'm seeing two options for myself:
    Using the one from Geoworld and accepting the size (hey at least he's as big as Battle Cat...)
    or
    trying to get the massive 1:40 Triceratops by CollectA...and find some room for it. Here it is next to a Dachshund...

not a Triceratops, but the last pic remind me that pic I took few years ago

Last edited by Mimikrakra; August 13, 2012 at 10:46pm.

That's a great dewback Mimikrakra!
    Should be pretty much as big as the Trike by CollectA.

That being said...
    I measured Preternia disgiuse He-Man and the Bionatops Blaster and made a scale chart with the CollectA Triceratops:

That thing is HUGE, but actually nearly perfect scalewise.

also made this very quick mock-up:

Yes, perfect!

That's a great dewback Mimikrakra!
    Should be pretty much as big as the Trike by CollectA.

That being said...
    I measured Preternia disgiuse He-Man and the Bionatops Blaster and made a scale chart with the CollectA Triceratops:
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...lechart-DT.jpg
    That thing is HUGE, but actually nearly perfect scalewise.

also made this very quick mock-up:
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...ecta-DT2-1.jpg
    that's pretty awesome, EXCEPT (and I know you know this was coming...) the blaster is too small.

my FAVOURITE dinosaur sculpts though are from Papo and wild safari, but they are TINY!! they're TOONY...they're just a LITTLE looney
    Last edited by krosfyah; August 14, 2012 at 09:59pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    that's pretty awesome, EXCEPT (and I know you know this was coming...) the blaster is too small.

my FAVOURITE dinosaur sculpts though are from Papo and wild safari, but they are TINY!! they're TOONY...they're just a LITTLE looney
    Yes I know.
    Well the blaster was drawn bigger in the comic anyway
    Also it was drawn as a hybrid of the two guns of the vintage Bionatops. It's not exactly the same as the figure got.
    I think I'll use some parts I've got in my custom fodder box to build a construction on his head to create an articulated gun turret. it will also look bigger like that.

Talking about guns...

In this drawing he has two more guns that appear to be protruding from his back (or his sides?). Any idea what would work scale- and look-wise?Also - the silver thing on the right of the Bionatops isa supposed to be his tail right? Why isn't it green? More techno virus? And how could that tail be bent so far to be in front of that turret? Doesn't really make sense...

The blaster of Optikk looked similar. But as you can see it's too puny:
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; August 15, 2012 at 12:37am.

I cant wait to see this custom!!!
    The dinosaur seems pretty in MOTUC minicomics scale (maybe a little bigger) but the hard art will be the techno-legs, any hint from what youre thinking for those?...have you ever think about a preternia sisguise snakeman as seen in the minicomic you showed? the one he man took the clothes from...
    WISHLIST: Lodar, Green and Purple demons, Gwildor, Blastar, Panther/Cat Men, Peekablue, Mermista, Prince Dakon, Tung Lashor, Rotar, Twistoid, Kayo, Vizar, Lizorr, Sagitar, Quakke, Mara (prototype), Lizard Man, Garth, Blackbeard, Gleedal, Gargons, Garn (mini-comic), Hawke, Fang-or, Great Black Wizard, Red Stripe, Granita, Brainwave, Contractor