View Poll Results: Wiould you buy MOTUC third party?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

79 67.52%
  • No

7 5.98%
  • Maybe

30 25.64%
  • Never

1 0.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a Third Party MOTUC products?

Heroic Warrior

Would you buy a Third Party MOTUC products?

In the world of Transformers collectibles, there are dozens of third party companies that seem to be doing really well. Fans love them, buy them and review them. Some just do little 'add on' kits, and others do full figures. Their prices are on par with Takara releases, and some of them are so awesome, they make bots better than Takara!

Third parties are great, as they tease the creation process along the way and accept fan input. We could have pieces we want, not what we're told is wanted, and then forced to buy. Best of all, you wouldn't even have to subscribe, but a preorder for the first production run could really help make it a reality.

So would you buy a third party MOTUC, Sagitar, Shadow Wing, or Attack-Trak? What about Tyrantisaurus or Binotops? You might have to consider it, because at this point I don't see any dinos, Mantisaurs produced by the big M.

PS: Since you'll probably never look it up yourselves, and the naysayers couldn't be bothered, I'll update with a few pics

This Krang? 3rd party.

Last edited by CapricornDefender; July 31, 2015 at 09:13pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Honestly I'd be most interested in a third party company doing something like Classics compatible Galaxy Warriors, Galaxy Fighters or Sun Man, but haven't people already proven they would buy third party stuff via stuff like Icon Heroes, The Stactions etc?

Also I've never understood how the third party Transformers producers can get away with making them, I mean they are awesome, but would the same legal loopholes apply to He-man products?

Hollywood Warrior InspectorZartan's Avatar
    2nd party would equal YES (ie an official license holder given the license to make official figures--examples include Hasbro giving Fun Pub the license to make official GI JOE and Transformer figures or Mattel giving NECA the license to make 200x Stactions).

But 3rd party equals a NO for me. I personally don't really go in for customs or 3rd party items. I already collect so much as it is that I pretty much say if it's not an official product then that's an easy cut off point for me. I do have one 3rd party Transformer in my TF collection (which I bought at BotCon) but that's my only 3rd party item and otherwise I just always wait for an official release or am willing to just skip it. Plus while if someone is casting parts for fun or for their own personal use or maybe even selling one or two customs here and there I don't really have a problem with it, but if someone is trying to make a business by stealing someone else's IP to mass produce items without permission of the IP holder then that is something I'm against and thus isn't something I'd personally want to support.

But to go back to my point about a 2nd party license holder selling MOTUC items--this would be something I'd not only be down for, but honestly when the day comes that Mattel decides MOTUC doesn't sell well enough to clear their higher corporate sales quotas I'd love to see them make the license to continue the line available to a smaller company that is more than happy to produce smaller runs of figures that appeal to a small collector base (like FourHorsemen Studios for example). Obviously they don't have the same resources that Mattel has but I'd guess that even with the number of MOTUC subscribers shrinking that we'd still have enough customers to make continuing the line be a worthy investment for a smaller company that is used to doing smaller runs. I could be wrong but I'm guessing that even if we were down to just the remaining NA and more obscure C-listers we'd still have a big enough customer base to move as many units of MOTUC figures as other online collector lines such as the Power Lords license or Outspacemen license.
    Last edited by InspectorZartan; April 28, 2015 at 05:16am.
    TOP WANTS
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Malektha/Twiggets/RedKnight
    200X:Miro/Hawke/Illumina/BoneWarrior/ABCGiants
    NA:Nocturna/Sagitar/Kayo/Lizzor/Hoove/Vizar/
    Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    JETLAG:Sebrian/Andros/Drissi/Gleep/UR
    MISC:Delora/MOPDemons/LtAndre/EvilRobot/Damon
    BEASTS:Clawdeen/Storm/Bionotops/Mantisaur/
    TyrantisaurousRex/Moonbeam/Sundancer

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    For me its a maybe, I always prefer to have an official figure, but sometimes if that isn't possible a third party stand in can be cool too.
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

I see the third party option as an easy off-ramp for collecting. I sold all my original Spy Monkey stuff (to Shecky, I believe) long ago. While I think it's really cool, I wouldn't buy in. I'm too cheap.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

yes, i sort of did that when i bought custom pieces for my castle grayskull man

Yes! Yes! Yes, oooooh yes.
    GozzoMan, Heroic Cherry Picker

I love the third party TF stuff but its too expensive-ive lost my TF passion so the desire to drop 100 bucks/figure isn't there., i'd rather put that money into vintage boxes and moc stuff than unofficial items. but for Masters I could let that slide-depends.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

i already have bought some third party items (a great manhole cover for the ToyGuru hole in Castle Grayskull, weapons from SpyMonkey (though i quickly grew bored of the Glyos features) and have tried repeatedly to buy other items (Alessandra's custom Filmation Hordak head and collar, who i've been contacting since June of last year to no avail).

the third party market is thriving for Transformers, i would be happy to buy more MOTUC compatible gear.

I've already purchased a couple third party products (Grayskull manhole cover and Gwildor bucket), so yes!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    As long as it looks cool and it's something I want, then sure. I'll buy them.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Absolutely! How else will I ever get a figure of Slave Master, who Mattel clearly is never going to produce?

Yes, I have been happy with the couple of third party items I've acquired (triangular weapons rack, manhole cover)

Heroic Warrior
    I voted "maybe." If the products are cheaper and better, or just as good but Mattel won't make it, then definitely yes. If it doesn't really fit in, then no. So maybe I should have just voted yes. I don't know.

While I do not harbor any ill feelings towards 3rd party stuff (as some of it is very good) I just don't like the steep prices. None of the 3rd party stuff is cheap. Like at all.

I am not really up to date on all the ins and outs of 3rd party stuff, but isn't it produced with Hasbro or Takara just looking the other way...for now? As long as they are not actively competing with licensed TF products currently on the market? And that it could all come to a screeching halt if they decided to enforce their intellectual rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    While I do not harbor any ill feelings towards 3rd party stuff (as some of it is very good) I just don't like the steep prices. None of the 3rd party stuff is cheap. Like at all.

I am not really up to date on all the ins and outs of 3rd party stuff, but isn't it produced with Hasbro or Takara just looking the other way...for now? As long as they are not actively competing with licensed TF products currently on the market? And that it could all come to a screeching halt if they decided to enforce their intellectual rights?
    As far as I know, the third party stuff is produced in China, where copyright laws are a lot looser. Plus the companies that make them are pretty small, so it would be difficult, if not impossible, for Hastak to stop them.

If a company could do as a good a job as the likes of Fanstoys, then I'd definatley be interested.
    I've already got some custom stuff from shapeways.

Oh hell yes! I've already gotten a few things like custom heads, the CG dungeon grate and manhole cover, and the CGM stand and kit from Amaro. What I'd really like to see from one of these more professional 3rd party companies, is making any of the classic vintage vehicles that Mattel doesn't get to. I've seen a 3D printed Road Ripper that was going around that looks pretty cool. I also think it would be really cool if one of these 3rd party transformer companies attempted to put out the Meteorbs. I think as long as they change the names they shouldn't have any problems from Mattel.
    Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders: Royalt1us, chrisbryan, AGE, UnemployedSkeletor, EwR-Disaster, Kero, jaggerart, Uki, skully, overlordofevil, Neo, He-Bruely, returnofplex, Jonny Tyler, Herewegoagain, lemure77, bigassbuzz. (if I've had a transaction with you and your not on this list, please remind me.)

Heroic Warrior
    As far as cost goes, when you look at 3rd party prices VS Japanese imports, they run really similar in cost. I would guess that for a basic action figure with minimal sculpted details (like MOTUC) simple paint apps (like MOTUC) few simple accessories (like MOTUC) and no complex transforming parts (just like MOTUC, notice a trend?) that require lots of careful research and development to ensure a seamless appealing transformation, the cost would be on par with what Mattel sells its products.

Third Party companies tend to throw in fan desired extras, since they don't have the red tape, and corporate BS of larger companies. I got some third party pieces on the way and I'm really excited about them. Now that I have the MOTUC CG, I may consider buying the Point Dread that was teased.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel443 View Post
    If a company could do as a good a job as the likes of Fanstoys, then I'd definatley be interested.
    I've already got some custom stuff from shapeways.
    And I've yet to see anything substantial from Shapeways stores. What I've seen shopped around here always seems to be pricey and made of a not so great looking material. Maybe its much better painted up. I'm glad you support other ideas.
    Last edited by CapricornDefender; April 28, 2015 at 09:06pm.

Sure. I've already bought 3rd party stuff from Spy Monkey, Joe Amaro , Shapeways, and a few sellers on ebay.

I'm actually surprised we have seen more 3rd party stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Absolutely! How else will I ever get a figure of Slave Master, who Mattel clearly is never going to produce?
    This brings up an interesting point. Sometimes third-party is the ONLY way to get some of the figures you want in your collection.

For instance, God forbid the thought of Mattel NOT giving us a Classics version of Master Sebrian (ulp!) but if it happens, and I see one on eBay (or elsewhere) from a 3rd party, I'd totally go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Sure. I've already bought 3rd party stuff from Spy Monkey, Joe Amaro , Shapeways, and a few sellers on ebay.

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more 3rd party stuff.
    I'm with you.

One of the most wonderful things about MOTUC is it's cross-compatability. Even within the line itself, we can make all kinds of goofy, cool, scary, and downright awesome looking custom kit-bash figures! There's even a thread for it in the main forum.

Recently I've seen custom parts for a Minotaur, Goblins, Orcs, Conan, etc. that all look absolutely amazing! So I would have to answer yes to this one.
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I've bought tons of third party stuff. It's a great way to augment the line.

Depends on the price and quality mostly. Third party stuff can be terribly expensive sometimes. I'd much rather have official releases of things, but if a third party puts out something that looks really good and is of decent quality for a decent price, I'd grab it.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Evil Master of Spaghetti Kobra Khan's Avatar
    A 3rd party MOTUC Stridor/Nightstalker or Snake Mountain? If Mattel doesn't produce them, my answer is YES!
    Pasta la vista, baby!

NA in MOTUC, 10 more to go! Artilla, Butthead, Hoove, Kayo, Lizorr, Nocturna, Sagitar, Spinwit, Staghorn, Vizar.

I will say that I would hesitate to buy anything that is 3D printed. The texture always seems to come out kind of rough.