Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.84!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.84!

Mattel has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Thanks again to them for taking the time to answer these!
    Check out their answers to your Round 84 questions!

This round of questions were selected by Penny Dreadful.
    Thanks to those fans for their help!

-------------------

1. Firefly: In your last Director's Commentary about the Green Goddess, you mention "There certainly are characters we don't want immortalized in plastic." Which characters are these? For an inclusive line, I was a bit surprised by the comment. It would be nice if we could at least get a couple of examples.

Captain Nazi comes to mind. We will not be making this figure.

2. Nemisythe: Since there now seems to be an attempt to get more media based on MOTU out there, has the thought of Books / Novels been considered? It seems to have worked for franchises like Star Wars and it has pretty much added as an alternative in keeping the franchise out there and moving it along when there wasn't the prequels and clone wars.

Yes, this is something we have thought about but nothing to announce right now.

3. zodak74: Many fans are thrilled to be receiving Netossa as a MOTUC figure, but are puzzled by a few things. There is a lack of accessories beyond the repainted She-Ra shield, such as her head piece. Her cape, while it is a net (that won't actually function like the classic toy) is a cape. It seems she should get a repainted Goddess spear or the Bubble Power She-Ra sword in her colors as an additional weapon. Also, her costume ends up looking really bland as is. Surely you have seen how striking the original Netossa looks. Any chance of some silver highlights on the skirt, on the wrist cuffs or something to make her more visually interesting?

From Toyguru:

“I reached out to the Horsemen on this one. Basically, now that we have Filmation rights they are striving to make figures a combination of the most iconic versions of each characters. For Netossa, the head sculpt is based more on her animated look vs her vintage toy look. This was their design choice. The sword could not be included due to cost reasons (the cape/net needed its own dedicated tool due to unique type of plastic) but we will look into finding another way to arm her up in the future if we can!”

4. Count Marzo: If/when you get to Blade, would his name still be Blade or would it have to be changed? Also would you be allowed to give him a repainted Mighty Spector Energy Whip like the one he used in the movie?

Whether we can use his name has not been researched yet. If we can not, a similar or generic name will be used (like Rattlor being "The General" in 2002 line). As for giving him Spector's whip, that is certainly possible. The Horsemen have actually noted they really want to find a way to include this one day.

5. king.of.grayskull: Can we expect more highly-tooled figures in 2013, or has Ram-man needed to much of the tooling budgeted?

Yes. Right now there will be at least two more fully tool'd figures. At least that is the plan today. That could change but we hope it does not.

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 86!
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 1.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 2.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 3.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 4.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 5.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 6.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 7.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 8.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 9.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 10.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 11.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 12.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 13.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 14.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 15.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 16.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 17.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 18.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 19.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 20.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 21.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 22.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 23.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 24.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 25.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 26.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 27.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 28.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 29.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 30.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 31.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 32.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 33.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 34.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 35.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 36.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 37.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 38.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 39.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 40.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 41.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 42.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 43.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 44.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 45.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 46.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 47.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 48.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 49.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 50.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 51.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 52.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 53.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 54.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 55.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 56.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 57.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 58.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 59.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 60.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 61.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 62.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 63.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 64.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 65.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 66.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 67.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 68.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 69.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 70.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 71.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 72.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 73.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 74.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 75.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 76.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 77.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 78.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 79.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 80.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 81.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 82.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 83.
    And, have fun discussing Mattel's answers to your Round 84 questions!

I have to say: I *love* Netossa's face sculpt. It's absolutely beautiful. I hope they follow this model with future figures who had an animated counterpart (in particular, Flogg, Hydron and Flutterina with THOSE amazing eyelashes!). I also hope they find a way to get her mask out to those who want it (and the sword).

Intrigued by the other fully-tooled figures for this year. Perhaps Extendar and Gwildor?

Sounds like they may have originally intended Netossa to come with her sword but it got cut. Hope we can get it and her headdress at some point.

I'd love a MOTU series of novels.

Captain Nazi, I take it he's a non MOTU DC character? Surely he can't be a Filmation character!
    Last edited by 13977; August 17, 2012 at 06:07am.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Someone please enlighten me.... who is Captain Nazi?!
    Also, I wish the Four Horsemen could see the potential in the PoP original toys redone as MOTUC figures, rather than going what I call the streamlined lazy look of Filmation animation- which we've already seen does NOT mix together quite as well with other figures in this line who have more detailed costumes/armor/weapons (Teela, MAA, King Randor, Trap-Jaw). Instead, rather than budging AT ALL, they are stubbornly sticking to a pattern that will see the likes of Angella and Glimmer coming out after all these years looking like '80s aerobic spandex queens. I am disappointed. At least with Double Trouble (if they get to her at all now), should look like her classic toy. She was never marred by a Filmation do-over back in the day, which might be a blessing for this fan (or a curse, as with the line ending now it sort of relegates her to uber-obscurity land... and presently that's a death curse for fans of those kinds of characters).
    Well, at least ToyGuru acknowledged the fan demand for more weapons for Netossa, so here's hoping the future bodes well for more Weapons Paks.
    PS- what is this sudden B.S. about 2013's other two 100% tooled figures being in flux all of a sudden?!?! I thought the year was LOCKED IN and NO CHANGES could be made. Well, maybe if we loose Mantenna in 2013 I'll get Double Trouble instead

I don't believe the 4H cut Netossa's face plate whatsoever. I think that was a decision taken squarly at mattel and it comes across as very sad to be blaiming them for that.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Also, her costume ends up looking really bland as is. Surely you have seen how striking the original Netossa looks. [/I]
    Really?!?!

I've been seeing some pictures thrown aroud of the vintage netossa... and it was HORRIBLE. Not 'striking'... CLUTTERED. Too much Cloth... too much net... cape and swirls all over the place.

I am 100% in favor of combining the looks of the PoP ladies... Taking the most popular and iconic Filmation versions and detailing them a bit with nods to the other medias...

which is exactly what they did here.

Honestly I think she SHOULD have come with another weapon.... BUT... after Reading TG's response about the cape taking a whole tool...

That makes SENSE... The fans have been railing against weapons and armor sharing tools since MAA's floppy mace and Catra's wobbly sword and hand...

If they DID give us a sword to go with her... it would have shared a mold with the cape and been a rubbery mess... I hadn't thought about that till now. Given THAT information, I think I'd rather either wait for a weapon pack... or more likely dig into the box of extra stuff and give one of them... Teela's sword or Goddess' spear most likely.

online with my office computer in Liverpool
    Do what i did - Google! Captain Nazi was the DC comic supervillian to Captain Marvel. He also appeared in a story vs Captain America - I have a feeling these comics may have come out during the 1940's....
    If there's something strange in the neighbourhood, who you gonna' call? HE-MAN!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not overly fond of the Netossa answer.

Surely any helmet/headguard would have been an additional/removeable piece which would have allowed fans to choose between the (equally?) iconic toy design and Filmation design. The existing fans/wings seem to have been deliberately designed to suit a helmet/headguard in a similar way to BP She-Ra's tiara.

I somewhat understand the reduced accessories after the news about the cape being a unique material and therefore (presumably) eating up a chunk of the alloted budget for the figure. I do hope that we get an additional weapon for Netossa in a future weapons pack (and that the material chosen for the cape isn't the same as was chosen for Leech's net).

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    S
    PS- what is this sudden B.S. about 2013's other two 100% tooled figures being in flux all of a sudden?!?! I thought the year was LOCKED IN and NO CHANGES could be made. Well, maybe if we loose Mantenna in 2013 I'll get Double Trouble instead
    It's true. He's mentioned this in the 2013 subscription Q&A's. It was easy to miss because of all of the chaos.

TG said that this would be one of MOTUC's greatest years yet.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I prefer Netossa the way she is now to the busy looking toy design. Also I hope we get a spear or sword in a future weapons pack.

The below answer troubles me:

Yes. Right now there will be at least two more fully tool'd figures. At least that is the plan today. That could change but we hope it does not.

I thought once a full year was locked down it was difficult to change or swap things around? I hope a fully tooled character isn't axed next year - that goes for deco changes and weapons too. We've all bought subs thinking we'll get the same quality/decco/weapons numbers as previous year - this with a price hike.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

I hate to say it, but I almost wish Mattel never got the license to do Filmation characters or realized they had access to style guide looks.

I try not to criticize the things that ToyGuru says, as there are always plenty of others to do that. However, the fact that he was previously saying that 2013 is set in stone (multiple multiple times) and now suddenly the number of fully tooled figures could change, makes me a bit upset. It's like a politician making all of these bold promises and then once he/she gets in office, suddenly backtracks on them. Except in this case it's our $ not just our vote. He's really not making the whole bad PR stance that Mattel currently has with the fans any better .

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    I try not to criticize the things that ToyGuru says, as there are always plenty of others to do that. However, the fact that he was previously saying that 2013 is set in stone (multiple multiple times) and now suddenly the number of fully tooled figures could change, makes me a bit upset. It's like a politician making all of these bold promises and then once he/she gets in office, suddenly backtracks on them. Except in this case it's our $ not just our vote. He's really not making the whole bad PR stance that Mattel currently has with the fans any better .
    It is very, very lame.

In the Marvel STAR Comics, Blade was actually referred to as General Blade by Skeletor's soldiers. This would be a cool alternate name/title for the character.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I prefer Netossa the way she is now to the busy looking toy design. Also I hope we get a spear or sword in a future weapons pack.

The below answer troubles me:

I thought once a full year was locked down it was difficult to change or swap things around? I hope a fully tooled character isn't axed next year - that goes for deco changes and weapons too. We've all bought subs thinking we'll get the same quality/decco/weapons numbers as previous year - this with a price hike.
    Mattel Legal can change things around.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Nianotreve View Post
    Do what i did - Google! Captain Nazi was the DC comic supervillian to Captain Marvel. He also appeared in a story vs Captain America - I have a feeling these comics may have come out during the 1940's....
    But what does that have to do with characters for MOTUC?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post

Remember this next year when we go through the same thing again trying to get enough people to sub for 2014. It's stuff like this that drives people away, though Mattel would never admit it. "It's just those rising prices, you know!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I hate to say it, but I almost wish Mattel never got the license to do Filmation characters or realized they had access to style guide looks.

Im glad they do. The 80s pop toys r horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I've been seeing some pictures thrown aroud of the vintage netossa... and it was HORRIBLE. Not 'striking'... CLUTTERED. Too much Cloth... too much net... cape and swirls all over the place.
    I agree. Personally I prefer the non-cluttered look that the 4 HMen have given her in the Classics update. Could she use more accessories, sure, but has Scott said they have it in the hopper probably for a future figure or multi-pack and I'm fine with that.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

If they made Netossa like this, the "cluttered" parts could be removed for a more basic look. The way she was made in Classics, we lose accessories.

Someone please enlighten me.... who is Captain Nazi?!
    Also, I wish the Four Horsemen could see the potential in the PoP original toys redone as MOTUC figures, rather than going what I call the streamlined lazy look of Filmation animation- which we've already seen does NOT mix together quite as well with other figures in this line who have more detailed costumes/armor/weapons (Teela, MAA, King Randor, Trap-Jaw). Instead, rather than budging AT ALL, they are stubbornly sticking to a pattern that will see the likes of Angella and Glimmer coming out after all these years looking like '80s aerobic spandex queens. I am disappointed. At least with Double Trouble (if they get to her at all now), should look like her classic toy. She was never marred by a Filmation do-over back in the day, which might be a blessing for this fan (or a curse, as with the line ending now it sort of relegates her to uber-obscurity land... and presently that's a death curse for fans of those kinds of characters).
    Well, at least ToyGuru acknowledged the fan demand for more weapons for Netossa, so here's hoping the future bodes well for more Weapons Paks.
    I've said it over and over again in several threads that the PTB have already decided to base the POP characters on their most iconic look. Whether you agree with it or not, that happens to be the Filmation look. Now that they have Filmation rights, I can promise you that they will capitalize on this look. While they still do some nods here in there to the toy design, your basically going to get Filmation versions of these characters. If you learn to accept this, you will save yourself major disappointment. Now with limited slots available (I'm worried to even getting to all the POP characters), we will not likely see toy variants. Those hoping for Toy Catra are going to be very disappointed.

I for one am glad of that. I always hated how the vintage line differed so wildly from the cartoon in both MOTU and POP. It is also a large part of the reason I quit collecting both back then.
    Last edited by csc0709; August 17, 2012 at 12:54pm.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I feel that the classic toy looks for the likes of Teela, Man-At-Arms, Glimmer, Clawful, Angella, etc. were far superior to their Filmation redesigns. I was hoping with MOTUC, that the Horsemen would take the classic Angella toy and translate it into something that would look really good next to MOTUC Teela. Instead, we're going to get a Filmation Angella that's no doubt going to look like a dull Marvel superheroine next to the more elaborately-designed Teela.

I also am perplexed as to why Captain Nazi shouldn't be made. The Nazi's existed and still do. They are in comics, movies and even Disney properties. The guy wears green and looks very goofy IMO so he wouldn't be taken seriously. As an online exclusive it would be fine I think. Heck the Empire were Nazi's basically. In no way would hia production support the evil things Nazi's did and I personally don't agree that we should pretend they didn't exist. If anything I feel that acknowledging them shows more positivity because it keeps us aware of their defeat and how we overcame the darkest evil the world ever knew. I hope I didn't offend anyone but that time period really sticks out in my mind as a truly amazing example of how people can truly do great things.

Anyway back to MOTUC. I really hope Scott doesn't try and tell us they changed the lineup for '13 after saying it was locked in and can't be adjusted. Like zodak74 said, that move would affect the 2014 sub sales. And Mattel would blame the sales drop on the price not lack of faith in them as a company. Things keep getting convoluted I would rather just hear things when we absolutely need to.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I feel that the classic toy looks for the likes of Teela, Man-At-Arms, Glimmer, Clawful, Angella, etc. were far superior to their Filmation redesigns. I was hoping with MOTUC, that the Horsemen would take the classic Angella toy and translate it into something that would look really good next to MOTUC Teela. Instead, we're going to get a Filmation Angella that's no doubt going to look like a dull Marvel superheroine next to the more elaborately-designed Teela.
    I think your opinion is just as valid I'm just simply stating the obvious. The toy look appears to be the 200x retired look for POP. I see alot of people still wanting/clamouring for the toy looks and it just isn't going to happen. I know how disappointing this can be, but still expecting it to change or be different adds to that disappointment. Just cause they are looking like their Filmation designs doesn't mean they have to be any less detailed. I'm all for adding in extra detail. I just don't want a Mer-Man/Tung Lashor/Hordak/Snake Mountain difference between their looks. I always hated that. As it is, I'm going to have to accept that Tung Lashor is most likely going to end up looking like his vintage figure and I hated that design. Same with Mer-Man, I absolutely loathe both heads that came with that figure. I wish we had an embellished version of the Filmation head.
    Last edited by csc0709; August 17, 2012 at 02:16pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    In the Marvel STAR Comics, Blade was actually referred to as General Blade by Skeletor's soldiers. This would be a cool alternate name/title for the character.
    That is a great alternative mate
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I am 100% in favor of combining the looks of the PoP ladies... Taking the most popular and iconic Filmation versions and detailing them a bit with nods to the other medias... which is exactly what they did here.
    I agree. I have no problem with Netossa (personally) as she is. Well on the basis that her 'net' cape is made with a decent plastic, to ensure the cape will function as a net.

As for the fully tooled figures, I think we can assume one of them will be Horde Trooper. I have my fingers crossed that the other will be Madame Razz. Vintage got Ram Man, so it's only fair POP/Filmation get a 100% tooled figure too (and Madame Razz fits both those factions perfectly!)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I wish the Four Horsemen could see the potential in the PoP original toys redone as MOTUC figures, rather than going what I call the streamlined lazy look of Filmation animation- which we've already seen does NOT mix together quite as well with other figures in this line who have more detailed costumes/armor/weapons (Teela, MAA, King Randor, Trap-Jaw).
    I don't want to speak for everyone, but I feel the majority of folks wouldn't buy vintage toy inspired POP (myself included). We really don't need them 'doll' versions when we never got the cartoon versions in the 80's (which many He-Man fans as well always wanted!) We are getting the most popular representation of these characters, which I am really happy about.
    8 figures I still need: 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Filmation Tung Lashor, 6/Saurod, 5/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 4/Peekablue, 3/Hunga the Harpy, 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.