Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.84!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I prefer Netossa the way she is now to the busy looking toy design. Also I hope we get a spear or sword in a future weapons pack.

The below answer troubles me:

Yes. Right now there will be at least two more fully tool'd figures. At least that is the plan today. That could change but we hope it does not.

I thought once a full year was locked down it was difficult to change or swap things around? I hope a fully tooled character isn't axed next year - that goes for deco changes and weapons too. We've all bought subs thinking we'll get the same quality/decco/weapons numbers as previous year - this with a price hike.
    Another reason he doesn't just come out with the full year's line-up. If the subscription wasd under the 100% needed to go thru possbly cutting these fully tool'd figures would have gotten the line through by the cost savings, or the fact that the sub was 65% less than last year? Or could come to some legal reason, sculpting issue, design flaw, or many other reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    Im glad they do. The 80s pop toys r horrible.
    I'm with you, I've enjoyed the Four Horsemen's decisions when it comes to POP, well I can't exactly say that about the Star Sisters but that has more to do with them just being the "Star Sisters" in general.

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    I also am perplexed as to why Captain Nazi shouldn't be made. The Nazi's existed and still do. They are in comics, movies and even Disney properties. The guy wears green and looks very goofy IMO so he wouldn't be taken seriously. As an online exclusive it would be fine I think. Heck the Empire were Nazi's basically. In no way would hia production support the evil things Nazi's did and I personally don't agree that we should pretend they didn't exist. If anything I feel that acknowledging them shows more positivity because it keeps us aware of their defeat and how we overcame the darkest evil the world ever knew. I hope I didn't offend anyone but that time period really sticks out in my mind as a truly amazing example of how people can truly do great things.

Anyway back to MOTUC. I really hope Scott doesn't try and tell us they changed the lineup for '13 after saying it was locked in and can't be adjusted. Like zodak74 said, that move would affect the 2014 sub sales. And Mattel would blame the sales drop on the price not lack of faith in them as a company. Things keep getting convoluted I would rather just hear things when we absolutely need to.
    Because Mattel is a corporation and making a figure of a Nazi and then selling it to make money would look bad politically, people get so offended so easily in this day and age. This could cause protests from groups that are just not worth the trouble of selling this type of toy.

I'm going to guess that the fully tooled figures might be Madame Razz and Kowl for SDCC?? The SDCC exclusive budget would help pay for them.

That would be REALLY cool
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    "5. king.of.grayskull: Can we expect more highly-tooled figures in 2013, or has Ram-man needed to much of the tooling budgeted?

Yes. Right now there will be at least two more fully tool'd figures. At least that is the plan today. That could change but we hope it does not."

Wait. I thought 2013 was already locked in.

Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    I'll be honest, I've come to the conclusion that I can no longer read any answers posted by Scott "ToyGuru" or Matty in general. He is completely confounding to listen to. This is basically a breakdown of what I understand of the MOTUC line:

Buy a sub because day of sales will be gone, except when they are not!

If we make 100% subscription 2013 will be great! That is, except if it's not because we only got 100% sub of the bare minimum!

I really wish I could change the line up, but figures are locked in...that is, unless I tell you they are not locked in, at which point they will be changed, even though they cannot be.

You will get a new subscription order management page eventually if it ever gets made, but it will because I promise...eventually!

The MOTUC line is so healthy we can lose half our subscribers and still be just fine...except when that's not the case!

Digital River issues exist but are getting better but we solve all the issues so there are no Digital River Issues!

----

I have also come to believe that Scott sits in his cubical playing with Mighty Spector all day, thinking of new ways he can screw us over....

They called him Mighty Sphinctor? Reverse the forearms of their beloved Stinkor and see how they like that! We'll call it a design choice!

They said Mighty Spector is a rip off of Deadpool did they? Break the Goddess's hips and tell them there shall be no refunds!

Still making fun of Spector are they? Paint Spikor's limbs rather than mold them in the right color!

Yeah...I pretty much do think he does these things out of spite.

Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    I'll be honest, I've come to the conclusion that I can no longer read any answers posted by Scott "ToyGuru" or Matty in general. He is completely confounding to listen to. This is basically a breakdown of what I understand of the MOTUC line:

If we make 100% subscription 2013 will be great! That is, except if it's not because we only got 100% sub of the bare minimum!

I really wish I could change the line up, but figures are locked in...that is, unless I tell you they are not locked in, at which point they will be changed, even though they cannot be.

You will get a new subscription order management page eventually if it ever gets made, but it will because I promise...eventually!

The MOTUC line is so healthy we can lose half our subscribers and still be just fine...except when that's not the case!

Digital River issues exist but are getting better but we solve all the issues so there are no Digital River Issues!

----

I have also come to believe that Scott sits in his cubical playing with Mighty Spector all day, thinking of new ways he can screw us over....

They called him Mighty Sphinctor? Reverse the forearms of their beloved Stinkor and see how they like that! We'll call it a design choice!

They said Mighty Spector is a rip off of Deadpool did they? Break the Goddess's hips and tell them there shall be no refunds!

Still making fun of Spector are they? Paint Spikor's limbs rather than mold them in the right color!

Yeah...I pretty much do think he does these things out of spite.

Scott Neitlich reminds me of that boy in grade school at the school yard who desperately wants to be the center of attention, who wants to set the rule for the game and wants to leads everyone in to action.

But we are no children anymore. Iīm not fond of unnecessary secrets or hiding games, truth bending or fibs.
    I like to be treated like an adult. Telling things straight forward is sometimes difficult for both sides but in the end itīs always the best.

I want MOTUC to be around for a long time but i also want it to be good if not perfect and the line is good but could be so much better.
    Sometimes i get the feeling that the quality issues are always forgotten once the sign SOLD OUT appears at the Matty side.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by csc0709 View Post
    I've said it over and over again in several threads that the PTB have already decided to base the POP characters on their most iconic look. Whether you agree with it or not, that happens to be the Filmation look. Now that they have Filmation rights, I can promise you that they will capitalize on this look. While they still do some nods here in there to the toy design, your basically going to get Filmation versions of these characters.

While YES, filmation is the most iconic of the designs... i think it goes a lot farther than that.

The Toy designs are and always were a 'girls' line... lots of hair and ribbons and bows. From the beginning they talked about how they planned on integrating them into this line. 'Classicizing' them the same as NA, 200x and everything else to 'look like they would have if the lines were combined in the 80's' To make She-ra and her friends look like they belong standing next to He-man and his friends.

Quite frankly THAT'S what the filmation designs are. We REMEMBER He-man and man-at-arms standing next to She-ra and Frosta and it WORKS.

I REALLY... REALLY don't see them going back and trying to reinvent what already works here... The 4H COULD find a way to take a design that already fits the MOTUC criteria... and try to find some way to work the ribbons and bows back in.. and STILL keep them looking like tough warrior women...

But in designing 20+ figures a year... They REALLY don't gain enough to jeoperdize the fans who are HAPPY with the Filmation designs.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    I don't want to speak for everyone, but I feel the majority of folks wouldn't buy vintage toy inspired POP (myself included). We really don't need them 'doll' versions when we never got the cartoon versions in the 80's (which many He-Man fans as well always wanted!) We are getting the most popular representation of these characters, which I am really happy about.
    Exactly.

Toy vs. Filmation is a LOT like the Teela Blond vs. Red head debates. The toys were made... PoP is a popular spin off... But I don't believe the toy versions in any way trump the Cartoon. The cartoon is the most iconic versions of the character, and that's the version that should be made. For main characters, if they can add in extras to make everyone happy... they should go for it. (looking at Bow and She-ra)... Someone like Netossa? She's just not important enough to do mutliple versions and if the tooling gets too expensive then they shouldn't push it.

Same with Snout Spout or any C-list or lower character with multiple looks.

MOTUC has always been about the most 'iconic' look they can make.

I wasn't quite expecting that answer to my question. It seems like he blew off the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I wasn't quite expecting that answer to my question. It seems like he blew off the question.
    yeah, I was hoping he said Crackers.....

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    He didn't give "a couple" examples, but he gave you one. It's not a Masters character, but in fairness to Scott, you didn't ask for an example of a MOTU character Mattel refuses to make.

And also, Scott did help clarify what he was going on and on about in his Goddess blog. When you read it, you see this whole tangent about Mattel's stance on permanence of characters, which needn't have been part of this blog. I'd have edited it out were I Toyguru or his editor. But since it is in there, we can reasonably think he's presenting a thought and then ending with its conclusion. Thesis -> antithesis -> synthesis. Mattel can make toys for you to buy and own -> then you own toys and can do things with them without approval of Mattel and licensors -> Mattel can't let that happen with certain characters, therefore they will choose not to make some characters.

But now we know that it was characters like Captain Nazi he was talking about. Knowing that, I no longer see the progression from A to B to C that seemed to be there in his Goddess blog. I'm not saying I agreed with the argument he appeared to be making, I'm just saying that there appeared to be a line of reasoning, however questionable, that allegedly supported Mattel's refusal to make characters, but thanks to your question and Toyguru's reply, we know what said refusal is really all about, after all.
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post

There are some mighty layers of truth in this post---^

I've mentioned before that I think Scott should get a PR coach, but given the size of this line and the seeming insignificance of its overall visibility I doubt such a thing will ever happen unless he gets a coach or attends classes independently. Perhaps the only saving grace to all of his half answers, double-speak, and circular responses are the RGD podcasts, where he attempts to clarify all of the things he's said that are confusing, double-speak(ish), and circular... which is almost everything.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I'm going to guess that the fully tooled figures might be Madame Razz and Kowl for SDCC?? The SDCC exclusive budget would help pay for them.

That would be REALLY cool
    I hope that this is true! While I liked Vykron, he wasn't as exciting as getting Queen Marlena or Orko.