View Poll Results: What influences do you want to see in future PoP/TGR figures?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100% Filmation!

7 6.36%
  • Filmation-based with toy touches (like Catra and her extra Toy-inspired accessories)

72 65.45%
  • Primarily based on the vintage toys

15 13.64%
  • I don't care - as long as they come, I am happy with whatever artistic designs the 4H make

16 14.55%

Thread: 2013 Pulse: With the PoP/TGR we have coming, which influences do you prefer?

Hybrid View

Heroic Warrior

2013 Pulse: With the PoP/TGR we have coming, which influences do you prefer?

As the # of PoP/TGR figures coming seems to be on the rise finally, simple question: which design influences do you prefer?

(Note: There is no "I don't want PoP" poll option - they are coming, so that's irrelevant.)

(Note 2: Option 2, "Filmation-based with toy touches (like Catra and her extra Toy-inspired accessories)" - should have read "Filmation/Style-Guide-based with toy touches.)
    Last edited by EtherianChronicles; August 19, 2012 at 03:49am.

I went with the FILMation-based option.

For the most part, I want them totally FILMation, but I'm fine with vintage toy elements added to spruce the figure up a bit where needed.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

My preference is a combo style.

Bow is a great example of how great the POP figures look in the Classics line. My hope is for the Filmation designs with a lot of toy detail influence to make them match the kind of detail that a lot of the other figures have, and then maybe some original ideas... Bow has all of that. His shoulder armor has the pattern that was used in a lot of the belts/armor of the vintage POP figures. That's awesome.

Bubble Power She-Ra is another great example. Her boots, bracers, and belt are just really great - and the boots and gauntlets are based on the vintage toy.

Netossa's boots, bracers, and bodice are as well.

Frosta has some nice details that harken back to the toys - her "icy" ridged bracers and the "belt" at the top of her skirt are toy-inspired... so is her weapon.

For future figures:

Castaspella: I'd like the Filmation version... but make her skirt shaped a bit like the toys... it was just more detailed... give her the golden hypno disc (make it removable), or make that a shield..

Angella: Filmation design (with the long pony tail that was hardly ever seen), but with the angel design on her bodice from the toy... and instead of the halo that was part of the wings on the vintage toy, give her a helmet with a halo design on it... and her sword from The Secret of the Sword.

ARM THESE LADIES.

Mermista's Filmation design, particularly when she has her legs, is MILES ahead of the toy... but there are cool things about the fin that the toy had that could be employed... and the design of the bodice can be used as well.. as could the sea-shell back-pack... I don't know... maybe give her a trident/spear... or a harpoon GUN.

Give Perfuma leafy/vine-like detailing... and a vine whip with thorns on it.

Had these characters been a part of 200X, they would have been made more dangerous and the detailing would have been far more intricate than Filmation... and I think a lot of the people that don't like POP would actually be fans of those characters today.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Had these characters been a part of 200X, they would have been made more dangerous and the detailing would have been far more intricate than Filmation... and I think a lot of the people that don't like POP would actually be fans of those characters today.
    And I think a lot of those people who thought they disliked PoP were happy enough with Catra as the first real example of a non-She-ra character started to quiet once they saw her. You rarely see the kind of 'NO POP FOR ME' stuff you used to see.

Personally, I voted for "whatever the 4H do". I think they have the handle on it, and I assume they will do them much as you mention in your post. They overall have their Filmation looks, but then again they have touches and extra details inspired by the toys. Should 4H reverse this on some figure for whatever reason, unless it's a drastic departure I wouldn't complain. So while I don't want to see some big curly haired Glimmer, extra details on her and other stuff is welcome. But when I look at her I want to say, "Hey, that's Glimmer!" and none of the vintage PoP figures make me do that - except for Mermista, because she is the only one with a tail.

Heroic Warrior
    Filmation with LOTS of details from the toys.

Bow is a great example. While it was sad that we missed out on his unique boots and his unique glove, these changes were understandable on the basis of future re-use of his parts for NA He-Man (although that hasn't happened to date).

Catra is a decent example, although her Filmation costume didn't really lend itself to adding many extra details. The belt was a great touch. And including the toy accessories was excellent.

BP She-Ra is also a great example, except for the "armour" and the "tiara". Instead of adding plain pink paint to the "armour", it would have been great if they'd sculpted "details" like on Bow's "armour" and Frosta's "belt" to represent the original holograhic/prismatic sticker. Similarly with the "tiara", instead of sticking a cheap-looking sticker onto the tiara, it would have been great to see sculpted "details" to represent the original holograhic/prismatic sticker.

Frosta is overall pretty decent, although after seeing Jewelstar's cape, I really wish they'd given Frosta a similar translucent/shimmery cape. I think it evokes the fabric capes used on the original toys, but has the durability and consistency of a plastic cape.

As for Netossa, I *personally* think that in addition to the "toy details" on the boots, gauntlets and bodice design, they also needed to incorporate the toy design colouring to make Netossa more intimidating/warrior-like and to help distinguish her from Frosta who has a very similar colour palette and I also think they really needed to include the helmet as an accessory.

I do think it is a difficult to find the right balance between the Filmation designs and the original toy designs, but as a very broad basis, I think that all POP/TGR figures should be primarily based on the Filmation design, but come with re-worked versions of ALL accessories that came with the original figures, include all appropriate "details" from the costumes on the original figures (particularly the details on their boots, gauntlets, bodices and belts) and that, in certain circumstances, the colours should either be a combination of Filmation and toy or be predominantly based on the original toy.

For example, someone like Glimmer would look more formidable with a pink and silver colour scheme. But as a compromise between the Filmation blue and the toy silver, perhaps a metallic blue (not vac metal) could be used? A second head with the curlier hair and crown-style tiara would also be great, but appears unlikely at this stage.

Similarly for Entrapta. The lavender of the Filmation design is a little "dull" when compared to the original toy design. So, as a compromise, perhaps a metallic lavender/purple could be used.

When it comes to a character like Castaspella, I think the Filmation colour scheme should be used as the basis for the figure. But necessary details should be taken from the original toy and the back-pack should be re-envisaged as a unique shield.

Angella is pretty tricky since the two designs were radically different. Again, I think the Filmation colour scheme should be used, but some compromises should be reached. For example, the wings could be a very pale pink (instead of just pink or white). The original toy tiara/halo could again serve as the inspiration for a unique shield. It would be great to see details from the boots, gauntlets and bodice included on the figure (although I'm also partial to the matching design that both Glimmer and Angella (and other Bright Moon residents) have on their bodices).

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    My preference is a combo style.

Bow is a great example of how great the POP figures look in the Classics line. My hope is for the Filmation designs with a lot of toy detail influence to make them match the kind of detail that a lot of the other figures have, and then maybe some original ideas... Bow has all of that. His shoulder armor has the pattern that was used in a lot of the belts/armor of the vintage POP figures. That's awesome.

Bubble Power She-Ra is another great example. Her boots, bracers, and belt are just really great - and the boots and gauntlets are based on the vintage toy.

Netossa's boots, bracers, and bodice are as well.

Frosta has some nice details that harken back to the toys - her "icy" ridged bracers and the "belt" at the top of her skirt are toy-inspired... so is her weapon.

For future figures:

Castaspella: I'd like the Filmation version... but make her skirt shaped a bit like the toys... it was just more detailed... give her the golden hypno disc (make it removable), or make that a shield..

Angella: Filmation design (with the long pony tail that was hardly ever seen), but with the angel design on her bodice from the toy... and instead of the halo that was part of the wings on the vintage toy, give her a helmet with a halo design on it... and her sword from The Secret of the Sword.

ARM THESE LADIES.

Mermista's Filmation design, particularly when she has her legs, is MILES ahead of the toy... but there are cool things about the fin that the toy had that could be employed... and the design of the bodice can be used as well.. as could the sea-shell back-pack... I don't know... maybe give her a trident/spear... or a harpoon GUN.

Give Perfuma leafy/vine-like detailing... and a vine whip with thorns on it.

While I voted to "Let the 4H do what they do" because ultimately I truly trust them to do the right thing for each & every Character, I wholeheartedly agree with everything that you've said here, especially the "ARM THE LADIES" part.

I really wish we had gotten the POP/TGR Characters in 200X, partly because I would have loved to see the 4H interpretation in that style, but mostly because that style would have gone a long way toward legitimizing ALL OF THOSE CHARACTERS as truly dangerous WARRIORS in addition to many people's perceptions (Misperceptions?) of these characters as after-school cartoon princesses & mid '80s action/fashion dolls.

I honestly believe that if we had gotten those Characters in the 200X Style back then, most of the "Factionalism" that we see today would have died out nearly a decade ago.

Long Live MOTU!!!!
    Now & Forever!!!!

I voted Vintage toy inspired because I'd rather have POP figures uh... pop with intricate details from the vintage toys than the plain hypodetailed look from filmation... (but on a case by case basis) and I'd rather have a 50-50 inspiration than 75-25 leaning towards Filmation...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Filmation based with toy touches. I am a fan of beauty through simplicity and the toy designs are often too busy for me. I think Bow & Netossa are good examples of the type of design approach I like most for TGR.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I Feel The Combo Film, Vint-Toy Works As I just got catra yesterday and she is so nice looking, My duaghter's and my son love her! She Came out Really Cool Looking And With all The Hints O vintage as well as Filmation made her really POP!
    Some Pun Intinded!

dont care, I trust them. I still want my classic toy version of Catra, so as to have both versions (toon N Toy) but everyone else (left at any rate) I'll take the best of both worlds, or whatever. Mind you, I want toon hair style, in as much as "rooted" isnt (nor should) happen.

To me, Glimmer, Angella, and Castaspella MUST look primarily Filmation. The rest, however, I am fine with at mostly toy-inspired or Filmation/toy combination look.

Combo, but majorly Filmation, and I wish they had the Filmation rights from the beginning for the MOTU clan, would have been very interesting once the line was kicked off in full swing to see what could have been.

I always liked the Filmation MAA much better than the Vintage or the MOTUC version, same with Hordak, and I would have loved an extra Filmation Skeletor head to come with a Skeletor Variant or even have come with Keldor, as well as the FIlmation Mer-Man head.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Anything except the vintage figures.

I want spandex. Lots of colorful spandex.

Sorceress Supreme Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    I prefer Filmation-based with toy touches MotUC PoP figure style!

Heroic Warrior
    Mostly don't care- I've bought or reserved every single PoP character the 4H have turned out so far, with no stopping in sight!
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE