View Poll Results: What influences do you want to see in future PoP/TGR figures?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100% Filmation!

7 6.36%
  • Filmation-based with toy touches (like Catra and her extra Toy-inspired accessories)

72 65.45%
  • Primarily based on the vintage toys

15 13.64%
  • I don't care - as long as they come, I am happy with whatever artistic designs the 4H make

16 14.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Pulse: With the PoP/TGR we have coming, which influences do you prefer?

Heroic Warrior

2013 Pulse: With the PoP/TGR we have coming, which influences do you prefer?

As the # of PoP/TGR figures coming seems to be on the rise finally, simple question: which design influences do you prefer?

(Note: There is no "I don't want PoP" poll option - they are coming, so that's irrelevant.)

(Note 2: Option 2, "Filmation-based with toy touches (like Catra and her extra Toy-inspired accessories)" - should have read "Filmation/Style-Guide-based with toy touches.)
    Last edited by EtherianChronicles; August 19, 2012 at 03:49am.

I went with the FILMation-based option.

For the most part, I want them totally FILMation, but I'm fine with vintage toy elements added to spruce the figure up a bit where needed.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

My preference is a combo style.

Bow is a great example of how great the POP figures look in the Classics line. My hope is for the Filmation designs with a lot of toy detail influence to make them match the kind of detail that a lot of the other figures have, and then maybe some original ideas... Bow has all of that. His shoulder armor has the pattern that was used in a lot of the belts/armor of the vintage POP figures. That's awesome.

Bubble Power She-Ra is another great example. Her boots, bracers, and belt are just really great - and the boots and gauntlets are based on the vintage toy.

Netossa's boots, bracers, and bodice are as well.

Frosta has some nice details that harken back to the toys - her "icy" ridged bracers and the "belt" at the top of her skirt are toy-inspired... so is her weapon.

For future figures:

Castaspella: I'd like the Filmation version... but make her skirt shaped a bit like the toys... it was just more detailed... give her the golden hypno disc (make it removable), or make that a shield..

Angella: Filmation design (with the long pony tail that was hardly ever seen), but with the angel design on her bodice from the toy... and instead of the halo that was part of the wings on the vintage toy, give her a helmet with a halo design on it... and her sword from The Secret of the Sword.

ARM THESE LADIES.

Mermista's Filmation design, particularly when she has her legs, is MILES ahead of the toy... but there are cool things about the fin that the toy had that could be employed... and the design of the bodice can be used as well.. as could the sea-shell back-pack... I don't know... maybe give her a trident/spear... or a harpoon GUN.

Give Perfuma leafy/vine-like detailing... and a vine whip with thorns on it.

Had these characters been a part of 200X, they would have been made more dangerous and the detailing would have been far more intricate than Filmation... and I think a lot of the people that don't like POP would actually be fans of those characters today.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Had these characters been a part of 200X, they would have been made more dangerous and the detailing would have been far more intricate than Filmation... and I think a lot of the people that don't like POP would actually be fans of those characters today.
    And I think a lot of those people who thought they disliked PoP were happy enough with Catra as the first real example of a non-She-ra character started to quiet once they saw her. You rarely see the kind of 'NO POP FOR ME' stuff you used to see.

Personally, I voted for "whatever the 4H do". I think they have the handle on it, and I assume they will do them much as you mention in your post. They overall have their Filmation looks, but then again they have touches and extra details inspired by the toys. Should 4H reverse this on some figure for whatever reason, unless it's a drastic departure I wouldn't complain. So while I don't want to see some big curly haired Glimmer, extra details on her and other stuff is welcome. But when I look at her I want to say, "Hey, that's Glimmer!" and none of the vintage PoP figures make me do that - except for Mermista, because she is the only one with a tail.

Heroic Warrior
    Filmation with LOTS of details from the toys.

Bow is a great example. While it was sad that we missed out on his unique boots and his unique glove, these changes were understandable on the basis of future re-use of his parts for NA He-Man (although that hasn't happened to date).

Catra is a decent example, although her Filmation costume didn't really lend itself to adding many extra details. The belt was a great touch. And including the toy accessories was excellent.

BP She-Ra is also a great example, except for the "armour" and the "tiara". Instead of adding plain pink paint to the "armour", it would have been great if they'd sculpted "details" like on Bow's "armour" and Frosta's "belt" to represent the original holograhic/prismatic sticker. Similarly with the "tiara", instead of sticking a cheap-looking sticker onto the tiara, it would have been great to see sculpted "details" to represent the original holograhic/prismatic sticker.

Frosta is overall pretty decent, although after seeing Jewelstar's cape, I really wish they'd given Frosta a similar translucent/shimmery cape. I think it evokes the fabric capes used on the original toys, but has the durability and consistency of a plastic cape.

As for Netossa, I *personally* think that in addition to the "toy details" on the boots, gauntlets and bodice design, they also needed to incorporate the toy design colouring to make Netossa more intimidating/warrior-like and to help distinguish her from Frosta who has a very similar colour palette and I also think they really needed to include the helmet as an accessory.

I do think it is a difficult to find the right balance between the Filmation designs and the original toy designs, but as a very broad basis, I think that all POP/TGR figures should be primarily based on the Filmation design, but come with re-worked versions of ALL accessories that came with the original figures, include all appropriate "details" from the costumes on the original figures (particularly the details on their boots, gauntlets, bodices and belts) and that, in certain circumstances, the colours should either be a combination of Filmation and toy or be predominantly based on the original toy.

For example, someone like Glimmer would look more formidable with a pink and silver colour scheme. But as a compromise between the Filmation blue and the toy silver, perhaps a metallic blue (not vac metal) could be used? A second head with the curlier hair and crown-style tiara would also be great, but appears unlikely at this stage.

Similarly for Entrapta. The lavender of the Filmation design is a little "dull" when compared to the original toy design. So, as a compromise, perhaps a metallic lavender/purple could be used.

When it comes to a character like Castaspella, I think the Filmation colour scheme should be used as the basis for the figure. But necessary details should be taken from the original toy and the back-pack should be re-envisaged as a unique shield.

Angella is pretty tricky since the two designs were radically different. Again, I think the Filmation colour scheme should be used, but some compromises should be reached. For example, the wings could be a very pale pink (instead of just pink or white). The original toy tiara/halo could again serve as the inspiration for a unique shield. It would be great to see details from the boots, gauntlets and bodice included on the figure (although I'm also partial to the matching design that both Glimmer and Angella (and other Bright Moon residents) have on their bodices).

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    My preference is a combo style.

Bow is a great example of how great the POP figures look in the Classics line. My hope is for the Filmation designs with a lot of toy detail influence to make them match the kind of detail that a lot of the other figures have, and then maybe some original ideas... Bow has all of that. His shoulder armor has the pattern that was used in a lot of the belts/armor of the vintage POP figures. That's awesome.

Bubble Power She-Ra is another great example. Her boots, bracers, and belt are just really great - and the boots and gauntlets are based on the vintage toy.

Netossa's boots, bracers, and bodice are as well.

Frosta has some nice details that harken back to the toys - her "icy" ridged bracers and the "belt" at the top of her skirt are toy-inspired... so is her weapon.

For future figures:

Castaspella: I'd like the Filmation version... but make her skirt shaped a bit like the toys... it was just more detailed... give her the golden hypno disc (make it removable), or make that a shield..

Angella: Filmation design (with the long pony tail that was hardly ever seen), but with the angel design on her bodice from the toy... and instead of the halo that was part of the wings on the vintage toy, give her a helmet with a halo design on it... and her sword from The Secret of the Sword.

ARM THESE LADIES.

Mermista's Filmation design, particularly when she has her legs, is MILES ahead of the toy... but there are cool things about the fin that the toy had that could be employed... and the design of the bodice can be used as well.. as could the sea-shell back-pack... I don't know... maybe give her a trident/spear... or a harpoon GUN.

Give Perfuma leafy/vine-like detailing... and a vine whip with thorns on it.

While I voted to "Let the 4H do what they do" because ultimately I truly trust them to do the right thing for each & every Character, I wholeheartedly agree with everything that you've said here, especially the "ARM THE LADIES" part.

I really wish we had gotten the POP/TGR Characters in 200X, partly because I would have loved to see the 4H interpretation in that style, but mostly because that style would have gone a long way toward legitimizing ALL OF THOSE CHARACTERS as truly dangerous WARRIORS in addition to many people's perceptions (Misperceptions?) of these characters as after-school cartoon princesses & mid '80s action/fashion dolls.

I honestly believe that if we had gotten those Characters in the 200X Style back then, most of the "Factionalism" that we see today would have died out nearly a decade ago.

Long Live MOTU!!!!
    Now & Forever!!!!

I voted Vintage toy inspired because I'd rather have POP figures uh... pop with intricate details from the vintage toys than the plain hypodetailed look from filmation... (but on a case by case basis) and I'd rather have a 50-50 inspiration than 75-25 leaning towards Filmation...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Filmation based with toy touches. I am a fan of beauty through simplicity and the toy designs are often too busy for me. I think Bow & Netossa are good examples of the type of design approach I like most for TGR.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I Feel The Combo Film, Vint-Toy Works As I just got catra yesterday and she is so nice looking, My duaghter's and my son love her! She Came out Really Cool Looking And With all The Hints O vintage as well as Filmation made her really POP!
    Some Pun Intinded!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelAschamp View Post
    I Feel The Combo Film, Vint-Toy Works As I just got catra yesterday and she is so nice looking, My duaghter's and my son love her! She Came out Really Cool Looking And With all The Hints O vintage as well as Filmation made her really POP!
    Some Pun Intinded!
    I too just got Catra a few days ago and my son said "Dad, your so lucky cause she's so cool!" That being said she's kinda changed my opinion on the PoP figures. She is awesome....though the comb whip and toy mask are in a box now...not my favorite accessories ever. I voted for Filmation/style guide with some toy influence though because it seems to be the most satisfying option. The closer to Filmation/Style guide the better! Even Netossa is starting to grow on me after finally seeing her in the cartoon and seeing how she "PoP's" off the screen in the 4H version of her and I'm now considering Frosta cause she looks great as well.

I voted "Primarily based on the vintage toy".
    I really want Glimmer, Angella, Kowl, Entrapta, etc to sport the colors from the classic toys and include a lot of design elements from their old figures when they are introduced into MOTUC.
    Castaspella might be the only one where I feel like she looked just as good in the Filmation cartoon as she did as a figure in the '80s line, even with rather drastic color changes, so I think no matter which version of Casta we get, I'll be very satisfied.
    Filmation Kowl? I have to say I've always liked the flocked yellow and easter-egg ears of the vintage toy and think he, like Bow's horse Arrow, looks waaaay too drab in the cartoon series. As a new toy, I'd rather see the bright vivid colors on my shelf than a dull brown owl.
    Glimmer's vintage figure has so much cool stuff going on- from her spacey silver shoulder armor and the pink/silver combo of the rest of her outfit, and that amazing curly afro, and the super-detailed rosebud staff that- if memory serves me correctly- glows in the dark... to me she always looked like a female counterpart to Zodac. Otherworldly. In Filmation, she's got flat hair, big googly eyes, and is wearing spandex tights and uses no staff of any sort. BORING. My ideal MOTUC Glimmer would look like a Four Horsmen-ized version of that '80s figure. You KNOW they could take any of those old "dolls with soft goods" looks and translate them into killer action figures. Arm Glimmer up with a raygun similar to BG Teela's, and tell me people wouldn't love that sort of thing. Well, I would at least.
    Anyways, Glimmer is my prime example. There's other stuff... I want Entrapta to be gold and for her braids to be the same colors as the old toy. I hope Angella looks somewhat regal and angellic and isn't also clad in a spandex suit. I would like to see Arrow released as a blue pegasus.
    Perhaps the only other character besides Castaspella where I might like the Horsemen to take notes from Filmation is where Clawdeen is concerned... LOL... simply because no matter how I try, I can't imagine the classic toy of Clawdeen translating very well into a MOTUC toy with those big white eyes, long lashes, and pink afro. Afros for Glimmer and Sweet Bee? Sign me up. Clawdeen? Wellll...
    Oh, and one more thing...
    I still want Catra. A classic toy version of Catra. Or more accurately, I want the Catra that exists in the mini-comic "The Story Of She-Ra". The MOTUC Catra we have is "all right". I know she looks just like she did on Filmation, but that's not "my" Catra. My preferred version of her is the more barbaric, powerful-looking and mysterious catwoman warrior who stood on her own that I saw as a child and became fascinated with. Not the ugly skag in a red Horde dress that turns into an armored panther and takes orders from Hordak, as introduced in the cartoon series.
    Last edited by zodak74; August 19, 2012 at 04:57pm.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Filmation-based with toy touches (like Bubble Power She-Ra's boots and bracers).

Make those gals fit in with that oft-used Teela costume.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    DEFINITELY Filmation based with added toy and/or new accents. Filmation is the reason why the majority of MOTU fans accept PoP into their world. They saw the cartoons, the crossovers, the Secret of the Sword, etc... We didn't go into the pink and purple girly aisle looking for doll version of MOTU. I only went into that aisle and asked for dolls AFTER Filmation made me.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Filmation-based with toy touches & accessories.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

I trust the 4HM. I want mostly FM with loads of toy details-if they continue to execute on the Bow-level, that'd rock!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Filmation based with some toy touches here and there.

My biggest issue is the accessories, like Brian said, ARM THEM UP. They all need some kick ass weapons.

For design I just like the Filmation looks better.

I'm not fan of the toy backpacks, there were just used to give the figures an "action figure" to represent their power.

I've be happy with all of the POP figures we've gotten so far other then the lack of weapons with some.

Mermista: I love the look of the legs from Filmation, they look like her tail just split in two. I also like the seamless look going from tail to bodice. Mattel should make a removable belt to make a more toy like look.

Glimmer: I don't mind the colors of the toy but prefer Filmation. I hope she comes with two heads so fans have options. I'm sure she'll come with the rose staff, seeing as Frosta is coming with the pinwheel.

Queen Angella: My lest favorite of the toy designs. She look way to young to be the mother of Glimmer and ruler Brightmoon. She is a character that should have a variant. I like the Filmation look, she seems older and I love the collar with the short or tied back hair (I'd be happy with either). Brian mentioned using the toy bodice design and I'd be ok with that, but I do like that in Filmation Glimmer and Angella have matching bodices.

Peekablue: My favorite vintage figure. I would like her tail to look more like real feathers which both the toy and Filmation kind of lacked. I love the shape of the Filmation bodice but would be fine with the toy style.

Perfuma: What I like about the Filmation design is that it's different than the rest, she has on a dress and little slippers. She is not a warrior like Netossa and the cartoon look shows that. I do like the wipe idea, it's something that she could create as needed. I really don't like the backpack, if they make it it needs to be removable.

Casta: Love the blue and yellow of Filmation, I would be fine with some toy touches added. The disc needs to be removable if made but I like the idea of it being a shield better. I'm just afraid it would get in the way of her hair.

Entrapta: This is one were I like the colors of the toy, I like the vac metal gold, but I want the skin above the boots that the toy didn't have. She also has to have a Horde logo.

Flutterina and Sweet Bee: I'd be happy if we just got them, their looks are similar enough that I'll be happy either way.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

I want everything to be as close to Filmation as possible.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Filmation, with some of the toys' details added on.

I will say that I prefer the vintage toy designs of Angella, Castaspella, Netossa, the Star Sisters, and Perfuma. For everything else, including all the horses etc, I like the Filmation versions more.

Filmation-based with toy touches for me.

Karaoke Extraordinaire Wun2 III's Avatar
    As Filmation as possible, where it works.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

"If the connection ends up being Scott Neitlich sitting at his desk,
    I'm gonna punch Scott in the face!" -JVS3 RGD Ep072

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    Filmation with toy design elements sprinkled in, varying from figure to figure.

Perfuma for example, I'd like her to have Filmation feet, but toy skirt (with roses) and her vine bodice. Or Spinnerella, with Filmation face and hair, (with toy colors for the hair itself) but the rest to be mostly toy based. Entrapta to take the line art from the style guide (which is not exactly how she appeared in the cartoon), but almost pure toy color all over.
    More Vintage NA for MOTUC in 2016!!
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, Admiral Scurvy, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Heroic Warrior
    Wow, looks like the community is pretty much on the same page as this - thankfully, it seems that this is the direction that the line is going in.

Snappy Threader
    Filmation with some toy elements. As long as the hair isn't rooted which I doubt it ever will be, I am fine with any way.

dont care, I trust them. I still want my classic toy version of Catra, so as to have both versions (toon N Toy) but everyone else (left at any rate) I'll take the best of both worlds, or whatever. Mind you, I want toon hair style, in as much as "rooted" isnt (nor should) happen.

To me, Glimmer, Angella, and Castaspella MUST look primarily Filmation. The rest, however, I am fine with at mostly toy-inspired or Filmation/toy combination look.