Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 098 Discussion!

Hybrid View

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 098 Discussion!

Episode 098 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode Scott Neitlich and Eric Treadaway join us as we discuss
    Danielle's chaos,
    Outer Space Men,
    cutting figures from the line (or not),
    vintage toys and key animated,
    replacement parts and returns,
    Power-con give-away accessory,
    polybagging requirement,
    glass cabinets,
    Netossa - January 2013,
    direction of Princess of Power sculpts,
    costs and material limitations,
    skin tones,
    Ram Man - January 2013,
    Pixel Dan give-aways,
    thanks to the fans for 2013
    and much more!

MOTUC bios discussed in this show:
    none

MOTUC figures discussed in this show:
    none

Intro/Outro info:
    Song: Glass Cabinet
    Album: Rakash
    Band: The Void's Last Stand
    ***Please support these Artists! Many are fans of MOTU and POP, and some are fans here in our community.

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 36 minutes, 58 seconds

Direct link for Episode 098

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    Cannot wait to listen to all of this!!! Started it but need to hit the hay pretty quick I love it when Eric Treadway and Scott Neitlich join the crew!! I hope we get some more info about the direction the 2014 line goes!!

Elder Councilman
    Penny, I fully agree with your sentiment; I want everyone too. I would never say "I don't mind if I don't get this guy or that guy".

I agree with pushing to get everything, hands down.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Funny listening to this after my comments on the last one. The clarification was good at the start for people to hear - it's about which you get to first - concept or very minor non-vintage characters or vintage and major animation characters. Also, the absolute clarification that vintage=MOTU, POP and NA is good. And that animation=He-man and the MOTU, She-Ra and POP, NA, and 200X.

Speaking of the Wind Raider, I am VERY close to buying a second. I just feel it'd be silly too in some ways, but man it's such a cool vehicle and I kind of like the idea of having two. But space is limited... Hmmm...

Eric working on a new MOTU... for next summer.... going to be very exciting... I was just hoping - "I hope it's a PowerCon reveal!" and it won't be... wah wah. I hope there will be plenty at PowerCon. That whole conversation was so painful, but in a fun way.

A good amount of Secret Accessory clues! A happy accident that happened... speculation frenzy go! It is a weapon... oh man, I can't wait to find out what it is!

Back to listening...

Interesting Netossa WAS going to have the headdress but ended up being really heavy on the budget because of new tooling (including her cape) and that's why their was only a shield too. :Sniffle: I am totally cool with her colors and the Filmation look as that's what I prefer overall. But I really do miss the headdress/mask. Maybe we'll get it someday, somehow. Overall, the talk about Netossa was very interesting. The fact that a cloth/net might have been double the cost of a tooled cape was crazy. I never thought it'd be that much of a difference. Glad Scott recognized that fans really want that stuff. Weapons Pak 4? Her face sculpt is probably one of the nicest in the line.

I got goosebumps hearing about Ram Man. Can't wait for that figure.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    Penny, I fully agree with your sentiment; I want everyone too. I would never say "I don't mind if I don't get this guy or that guy".

I agree with pushing to get everything, hands down.
    Somewhere in some small town, maybe stateside or abroad, is a guy that loves a MOTU character that I've never given the time of day or maybe am even only vaguely aware of, but I want him to get a Classics figure of his favorite. I want to know what he likes about it and I want to experience why in Classics form myself. I could never campaign or speculate that someone's favorite should not get included. It's just too negative an endeavor for me.

I hope we get them all and, when we don't, I'll miss the ones we didn't get - whoever they are.
    Last edited by Daniel Lynch; August 20, 2012 at 01:49am.
    MOTUClassics.Com - Reviews, Release Schedule, Bios, & News.

Sweet, downloading now.

Listening now

PLEASE!! Someone tell Eric: Bow is/was perfect. The extra detail is AWESOME. It is NOT too far I was surprised to hear him say that he thought the reaction was mixed. Bow seems to be pretty popular among most MOTUC collectors according to the polls over the years.

I don't remember reading that people disliked the detailing. For example, the artistic license taken with the head band from the vintage toy-inspired head was INCREDIBLE!!

As for the style - I'm really enjoying the type of combination design. Bow is great that way. Catra's toy was SO different, so she's difficult to do a combo design for.

Glimmer would benefit from some toy-inspired detailing: her staff... glow in the dark staff and tiara maybe? the skirt? the shoulder armor? the silver? Any of those things added to the Filmation design would be awesome. The toys provide a bank from which there might be details used to bulk up the Filmation designs.
    Last edited by bcrduke; August 20, 2012 at 02:07am.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Loved the Ram Man talk! I want him NOW. I really think he's about as perfect as can be. Not much more to say about him than that. I was sad we didn't get through more figures though! So many more good things to talk about. I hope Eric can be back for next week too...

Also, I must second the Outer Space Men being amazing! Got my re-release OSM Wave 1 & 2 (I had gotten the first versions, but I really do like the new ones better) and the Cosmic Creator series and they are great.

Great listen! As far as POP figures, I think the Horsemen should look at the Style Guide more-so than the cartoon.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lynch View Post
    Somewhere in some small town, maybe stateside or abroad, is a guy that loves a MOTU character that I've never given the time of day or maybe am even only vaguely aware of, but I want him to get a Classics figure of his favorite. I want to know what he likes about it and I want to experience why in Classics form myself. I could never campaign or speculate that someone's favorite should not get included. It's just too negative an endeavor for me.

I hope we get them all and, when we don't, I'll miss the ones we didn't get - whoever they are.
    Absolutely a great philosophy on this. Me personally, I couldn't give two tosses about most of the POP and NA lines (not entirely but most of both), but I don't begrudge them spots. They deserve as much to be in the line as my beloved Meteorbs, Saurod, Goat Man and Evil Robot.

Songster should have been the nod to Freddy Mercury

Again, I agree with Eamon that Rio Blast IS awesome. He's one of my favorites. He always has been. All those kick-butt guns and the cowboy theme. Just so cool!!
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I can't go into detail as I'm at work but my photo was about the boots, gauntlets, and bodices. a fe fans have complained about the lack of details on the MOTUC POP figures in these area and I was trying to illustrate the Teela has more detail in those areas. I'm quite happy with the POP figures we've gotten. I don't see an issue with some boots being smooth. I'm also not saying that the vintage Teela is better than the vintage POP, just pointing out they are not "that" detailed.

It really just seems that some will never be happy with what Mattel gives us. At this point we should all just be pulling to get every character made.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I'm a fan of POP and all and I don't support any bias against it but I do have to agree with Val. The SS in toy colors are mentioned ad nauseam. I honestly don't see Clawful mentioned that much any more.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Heroic Warrior
    PoP Characters are always scrutinized. If 1 at a time you take a character And showcase her on the main page, let folks discuss, and send feedback to the 4 horsemen, that would be great. At the very least they would understand the types of things vans might be looking for, even if they may contrast and they have to make the best guess they could
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Hey all! At this point, I think it's best if we move away from the discussion of the depiction of POP characters and the people who champion the various positions in this thread. Let's let some of the other interesting topics raised in this episode get a little room to breathe. If people would like to continue discussing this with each other, please take the discussion to PM.

Thanks everyone!

Battle Ram stuck in a box at Mattel?!?

Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

http://www.bumperstickerz.com/images...20south%20park
    OK so my brain's gotten fried just from skimming this thread and has caused me to forget what I wanted to say about the podcast, but it's slooooowly coming back to me!

I actually LOVE the fact that The Battle Ram prototype is in that display case right between the two executive's offices! My hope is like Eamon said, that they see it all the time and say "That's amazing. We MUST make it!" However, I am a little worried they look at it and think "Wait, did we make that? OF COURSE we did! It's too awesome not to have done so!"
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

http://www.bumperstickerz.com/images...20south%20park
    I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!! It should be stuck in many boxes and be arriving on our doorsteps.

Well, I had a detailed response typed out in response to Brian... but now I'm seeing the post that JonWes made and had to delete it. My e-mail and Facebook inbox is open to anyone with questions.

About Battle-Ram. Why not do Skysled first? Its smaller product, would most likely sell easier as its cheaper too. It could easily be done in different colours even. It would also not be comparable to Wind Raider sale,and would be different item type to test the market.

Or am I reading the crowd wrong, are there a lot of people would only buy full Battle-Ram, and nothing else? Personally I would buy a sled, but I am not sure about the entire vehicle.

It be awesome (IMO) even if we only got the Sky Sled. That's the part of the Battle Ram I'm most interested in. It was such a big part of Filmation.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    I totally agree with what bcrduke said about Bow. I was listening to the podcast in the truck by myself when I heard Eric say that Bow got mixed reviews and I actually said "What?!" outloud. I personally thought he was almost universally praised for incorporating everything very well.

As i remember, there was a lot grumbling when Bow came out because.....

1) He was guy. After all... getting She-ra's sidekick, before She-ra was released stirred up a LOT of bitterness.

2) He had 'hearts' on him... Which for some reason really bugged people, much like Spector's Spade symbol.

3) He was not gay... Despite the swooning he always did over she-ra and his depiction in the toys... some fans always held out hope that he would be gay.

personally, I liked the Bow figure, but I DO recall some fireworks when he was released... just not much about the actual 'designs' of him... For the scrawny PoP figure of the 80's, he was reimagined as a legitimate MOTU toy QUITE nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    3) He was not gay... Despite the swooning he always did over she-ra and his depiction in the toys... some fans always held out hope that he would be gay.
    Was this really something that happened?

I don't remember this at all LOL.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Was this really something that happened?

I don't remember this at all LOL.
    Ohhh yeah. This was back with the Toyfair ads, and his 'flavor text' said something about being a 'ladies man'... and there were people that got all upset by that