Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Star Wars Expanded Universe..

New Star Wars Expanded Universe..

I've read just about every single book from Heir to the empire up to apocolypse..

And ever since Vector Prime, star wars has gotten a little silly..(er)... Ever notice that there where not only smaller scale stories, but very few people died. Now, you've got characters kicking the bucket everywhere, characters surviving insane injuries that would kill a normal person...or still being alive when they should have long ago died... (being slammed into a wall, intestines being dragged behind you on the floor as you charge an enemy..)..etc. it's almost like they are pushing the limit to see how extreme they can take it before they turn off their audience.. No wonder george tends to ignore the expanded universe... it's gotten a little goofy..

That being said, i'd still love to see a CGI movie of thrawn one day.

what's your take on the new star wars books?
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Honestly, for me, there are only the 6 movies and the first Clone Wars cartoon.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I've read everything up to Fate of the Jedi which I'm actually planning on starting next month when I take the first two books on holiday with me. But I really enjoyed the Legacy of the Force series even though I thought it was a little rushed in places. Generally I've enjoyed the Del Rey books more then the later Bantam books.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

there are 6 movies? naw. that can't be.

A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi are the only movies I care to remember.

Some of the Clone Wars stuff is good, but when you try to combine it with the first three movies, there's all kinds of story issues.

the only books i ever read was the heir to the empire trilogy. i did like that.

Heroic Warrior
    To me, it's the ORIGINAL trilogy, the first Clone Wars cartoon, both Droids and Ewoks animated series, and some books. The only episode of the CGI Clone Wars series I like is Nomad Droids because it reminded me of the Droids animated series. All it was missing was Threepio blinking.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Six movies, the cartoon Clone Wars and the CGI cartoons are all legit to me. I had read pretty much all of the EU books up to a point, through the whole Darth Caedus thing, and then I just got bored. I haven't read an SW book since then.

I donated a good chunk of the books a few months ago, but I still love most of the earlier books - the Thrawn trilogy, the X-Wing Series, the books of short stories (Mos Eisley, etc.) Basically, everything up to the arrival of the Yuuzhan Vong is fine. After that I lost interest.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

I tried to get into the EU a few times but they never wrote stories that I wanted to read and frankly I hated Mara Jade or whatever her names was.

I tried three times to read the Thrawn trilogy. Failed each time.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Burtonnut View Post
    To me, it's the ORIGINAL trilogy, the first Clone Wars cartoon, both Droids and Ewoks animated series, and some books. The only episode of the CGI Clone Wars series I like is Nomad Droids because it reminded me of the Droids animated series. All it was missing was Threepio blinking.
    But the first CW toon does not work without the prequel movies.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

The Thrawn Trilogy is canon for me, its probably the best the EU has to offer
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I wish Lucas would do something that involved jaina and jacen solo. I really enjoyed those stories.

I also really enjoyed the x-wing series and need to hunt down the rest of the Thrawn trilogy sometime.

Other characters i enjoyed were Lowbacca, zorba the hutt, Trioculus, and Triclops.
    Awesome sticker not included!™

WOW! all the hate for EU....

And the best story in EU that I read (And I read all the books,tpb etc) was Crimson Empire a kick ass backstory on the royal guards and what they had to go thru to be the best of the best....

Not to burst bubbles, but the Trawn trilogy can’t really be regarded as completely canon anymore. There are just far too many inconsistencies. The Clone Wars for one….

The best EU novels I have read are Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, Darth Plagueis and the Darth Bane trilogy. Phenomenal stuff, particularly the Darth Vader novel.

Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    My opinion has evolved over time. Now I'm a big Star Wars guy. How big? I walked out of my wedding to "the Throne Room" music from New Hope. Obviously my wife is a big fan too )

Now that being said... the EU books just need to stop. They just aren't fun anymore. Each series seems to keep on trying to trump the previous one on how they can make life awful for Luke, Han and Leia. First Chewbacca dies. Oh I'll see your Chewie death and kill Anakin Solo, take that Han! Oh yea? Well Jacen Solo turns to the dark side AND kills Mara Jade AND then gets killed by his own sister!!

Seriously, Mara Jade did the equivalent of a WWE "jobbing" to help put Jacen over as a heel. But I digress...

Whatever the hell ever happened to "happily ever after?" Luke and Han and leia just keep going through hell over and over and there comes a point in time where enough should just be enough. Harry Potter has (so far) done it best. "And all was well". The end. Not Voldermort's housekeeper gets the remnents of the Death Eaters together and launches an attack. Not "Harry's kid turns evil". "Just...all was well...the end".

At this point, it all ends for me with Luke and everyone sitting there singing the "Yub nub" song. They overthrew the freaking Empire...they deserve some peace and happiness.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    After the finale of NJO, it sucked so much I refuse to pick up another Star Wars novel as long as I live.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Not to burst bubbles, but the Trawn trilogy can’t really be regarded as completely canon anymore. There are just far too many inconsistencies. The Clone Wars for one….

The best EU novels I have read are Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, Darth Plagueis and the Darth Bane trilogy. Phenomenal stuff, particularly the Darth Vader novel.

Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader is a good one. In fact that whole trilogy of Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader is all really good. I haven't read the Darth Plagueis book yet a I wait for the paperbacks but I'm really looking forward to it.

As for the Thrawn trilogy you just have to take a bit of a leap of faith and ignore the inconsistencies created by the prequels, it still is one of the best pieces of EU out there. I think the Heir to the Empire: 20th Anniversary Edition has some annotations by Zahn that among other things talk about these inconsistencies.

Wanted:

Two new series announced this weekend.

A post-Fate of the Jedi trilogy called Sword of the Jedi, written by Christie Golden and focusing (obviously) on the series' namesake, Jaina Solo.

And a classic adventure series set between Episodes IV and V called "Rebels." The first one will be told from Leia's point of view and written by Martha Wells, an author who is new to the Expanded Universe. The second one will be written by another new EU author, Kevin Hearne, and told from Luke's point of view.

Wanted:

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    But the first CW toon does not work without the prequel movies.
    Good point. Okay it's the ORIGINAL trilogy, the prequels, the first Clone Wars cartoon, both Droids and Ewoks animated series, and some books (like Splinter of the Mind's Eye).

Hordak! Put me in MOTUC! Barbecue17's Avatar
    I loved Splinter of the Mind's Eye when I was in middle school, althbough it is a little creepy at times in light of luke and Leia being brother and sister. It's a trap!!

I read a fair bit of EU stuff back when I was in middle school, probably between 95-97. I remember enjoying the Thrawn trilogy quite a bit, the Truce at Bakura, and the anthologies, especially Tales of the Bounty Hunters and Tales from Jabba's palace. I probably read a lot of the young Jedi Knights series, as well. And Galaxy of Fear. Anyone remember those? It was kind of like "Goosebumps" but set in the Star Wars Universe. A couple of years ago, my wife got me Death Troopers for Christmas. It's a horror story set in the SW Universe and I really enjoyed it. It wasn't a massive universe encompassing story, but a smaller more isolated story with a few well thought out cameos.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    The Thrawn Trilogy is canon for me, its probably the best the EU has to offer
    Those are the only EU books I ever cared for.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    That being said, i'd still love to see a CGI movie of thrawn one day.
    Do you mean CGI like the Clone Wars cartoon or CGI like Star Wars Episode 3 where probably 75% of everything on the screen at any given time was computer generated?

Seeing Tron Legacy and watching that computer generated 1980’s looking Jeff Bridges got me thinking about how they really could do sequels to the original trilogy set just a few years after Return of the Jedi.

You know when Lucas dies his kids are going to want to cash in on Star Wars. Not that I want to see Lucas die, but when it does inevitably happen, I hope his kids do the franchise justice. I think the Thrawn books would make a good base story for a new movie trilogy. They would have to make a few changes to incorporate the events of the prequel trilogy but I think it could work. Since Lucas and Spielberg are close, I bet Spielberg could be talked into directing them.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    I read a fair bit of EU stuff back when I was in middle school, probably between 95-97. I remember enjoying the Thrawn trilogy quite a bit, the Truce at Bakura, and the anthologies, especially Tales of the Bounty Hunters and Tales from Jabba's palace. I probably read a lot of the young Jedi Knights series, as well. And Galaxy of Fear. Anyone remember those? It was kind of like "Goosebumps" but set in the Star Wars Universe. A couple of years ago, my wife got me Death Troopers for Christmas. It's a horror story set in the SW Universe and I really enjoyed it. It wasn't a massive universe encompassing story, but a smaller more isolated story with a few well thought out cameos.
    I read the Galaxy of Fear novels when I was a teenager and I remember I really enjoyed them, but I also remember I really, really enjoyed the Jedi Prince series and from what I remember I'd probably find the Jedi Prince series laughably bad if I read it for the first time now, a rebel base on Dagobah and secret subterranean city of droids on Yavin IV
    In fact it was the Jedi Prince series that got me into the EU. I probably read it in 94, then read The Truce at Bakura, then the Thrawn trilogy, then the Jedi Academy trilogy, can't remember what I went on to after that, it was probably the The Courtship of Princess Leia.

Having said that the some of the young adult novels are really good. I really enjoyed reading the Jedi Apprentice, Jedi Quest, Boba Fett and Last of the Jedi series even as an adult.

I haven't read Death Troopers or it prequel Red Harvest yet.

Wanted:

Funny that this topic is currently being discussed and what do I find at my local thrift shop this afternoon? The hard cover first printings of Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command. The covers are a bit scuffed and I already had the paperbacks, but for $1.79 each I couldn't resist.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I love Mos Eisley Cantina BoShek's Avatar
    Shadows of the Empire was my favorite. The CD was good too.
    Please watch my videos!
    http://www.eaglekillerstudios.com

Which are the best comics that concern only the "Original Trilogy" characters (whether Luke, Fett, or whoever)?

I'm not interested in any characters beyond these 3 movies. And only comics, not novels.

thanks!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Warrior
    I go with both versions of the Droids comics series, which deals with Threepio and Artoo before A New Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Which are the best comics that concern only the "Original Trilogy" characters (whether Luke, Fett, or whoever)?

I'm not interested in any characters beyond these 3 movies. And only comics, not novels.

thanks!
    Posted this in your other thread mate, but though I'd posted it here as well.

The two series you need to check out are:
    Empire:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Empire
    and
    Rebellion:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_...n_%28comics%29

Both series are available in TPB and Omnibus editions, the later of which are very good value for money.

There is also the classic newspaper strips by Archie Goodwin and Al Williamson that were printed from 81 -84 and are VERY good. These have been collected in:
    Classic Star Wars Volume 1: In Deadly Pursuit
    Classic Star Wars Volume 2: The Rebel Storm
    Classic Star Wars Volume 3: Escape to Hoth
    Last edited by 13977; August 30, 2012 at 05:12am.

Wanted: