Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Star Wars Expanded Universe..

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Really? I would have though all characters created by DH under the SW license would owned by Lucasfilm?
    I would have to agree with 13977. I'd have to see the paperwork stating that Darth Talon, or any of the other Darth's created by DH belong solely to them.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Finally an official announcement from Lucasfilm.
    The Expanded Universe to rebranded as Star Wars: Legends and a new unified Star Wars storytelling program created in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group.

The first four novels in this new unified story program will be:
    STAR WARS: A NEW DAWN by John Jackson Miller, on sale September 2, 2014

STAR WARS: TARKIN by James Luceno, on sale November 4, 2014

STAR WARS: HEIR TO THE JEDI by Kevin Hearne, on sale January 2015

STAR WARS: LORDS OF THE SITH by Paul S. Kemp, on sale March 2015

http://starwars.com/news/the-legenda...-new-page.html
    http://starwars.com/news/disney-publ...tion-line.html

Me main one out of these I'm interested in is the Tarkin one.
    I still really hope they release the Sword of the Jedi trilogy under the Legends brand to give the EU some a wrap up story and closure.

MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Heard that some EU stuff is now not considered canon. I'll be one unhappy gal if they don't count the Thrawn stuff as canon. Those books are awesome.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

I have six books left to catch upon before november comes around. better start reading one chapter a day, I guess....

other than that, I've read everything in the expanded universe minus the horror novels that I don't really care for and the really Junior books like glove of darth vader.

Nice to know they are still coming out. To be honest, only a few books I would conisder to be really great cannon. Anything by Michael Reaves or Timothy Zahn. The XWing Series. other than that, it was kind of touch and go.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Quote Originally Posted by Sorceress View Post
    Heard that some EU stuff is now not considered canon. I'll be one unhappy gal if they don't count the Thrawn stuff as canon. Those books are awesome.
    It appears that all past expanded universe material (certainly all post-Return of the Jedi stories) are being rebranded as Legends (non-canon) to avoid continuity issues with the upcoming Sequel Trilogy movies.

Any new material that's created will fit into the movie canon.

The Heir to the Empire series will always be awesome, canon or not.

TBH, this should have happened years ago. In the long run it’s for the best, IMO.

Heroic Warrior
    I read the Han Solo trilogy from Brian Daley when those books were first released- still have those books, too. I really loved all three.

Certain parts of the cartoon Droids were also pretty awesome to me.

Both Clone Wars are truly great.

Many of the characters from the video games Knights of the Old Republic one and two, Republic Commando, Force Unleashed one and two and the entire list of characters from the online The Old Republic are what I want to see in the future.

As to the rest of what has been released, specifically Zahn's work, as well as that whole zombie thing- I don't like it. Period. Not to offend, these are just my views, but I can't even say 'midichlorians' without breaking into laughter- and Star Wars zombies?! Really?
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Hordak's Pupil General Stingrad's Avatar
    While I am sad to see Crimson Empire and the Boba Fett comic series no longer considered cannon ; it does make sense and allows future authors not to worry of creating conflicts with already existing stories. I am excited to see what the future holds.
    Etheria will be mine!

2nd Star To The Right, And Straight On 'Till Morning
    As soon as the Sequel Trilogy was announced, I knew this would be happening. I've read almost everything in the EU (not anything released over the past three or so years, though), so on one hand, I'm sad to see it go. On the other hand, though, it is definitely what makes the most sense with the new movies coming.

I'm sure there will be elements of the old EU that find their way into the new stories, especially as it looks like they will be using some of the same writers. And I'm glad that they are making everything a unified continuity. One of the things that most attracted me to the Star Wars EU back in the mid '90s when I started reading it was the care to make sure most things worked together. Then, George Lucas (certainly within his rights) started borrowing some elements but completely contradicting other elements. It sounds like they are committed to making sure everything works together now, including the movies and TV shows.

You dudes are going to want to read this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809203

ANYTHING not the movie or CW cartoon is considered fan fiction at this point
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post

I don't think "fan fiction" is really the right terminology. It is still officially licensed material, much of which has been borrowed from for what is now the "official" canon. It is just being put under the category of "Legends". All good legends have aspects of reality, though.

Heroic Warrior OverlordSkeletor's Avatar
    What bothers me about the whole thing is that the Expanded Universe authors were not allowed into a certain time period and the comics were guided by people at Lucas so this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. To specifically not allow authors to write what they wanted then come back years and say basically that nothing they wrote means anything other than to make Lucas money. It doesn't surprise me though.
    Grief Is The Price We Pay For Love

Live The Life That Unfolds Before You

Browncoats stand up and be proud.

Looking Backward Is Fine But Going Backwards Isn't

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Lucasfilm and Star Wars are dead to me now.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by OverlordSkeletor View Post
    What bothers me about the whole thing is that the Expanded Universe authors were not allowed into a certain time period and the comics were guided by people at Lucas so this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. To specifically not allow authors to write what they wanted then come back years and say basically that nothing they wrote means anything other than to make Lucas money. It doesn't surprise me though.
    If you follow the history of Lucas' conflicting statements, it can make some sense, of a sort. I don't have exact dates or references at hand, but they are available to anyone who wants to do some digging.

Early on, sometime after the first movie was labeled Episode IV: A New Hope, George Lucas began talking about nine movies, and the current trilogy was the middle three. At that time, there really isn't much in the way of post ROTJ material being published. There are a few stories and comics filling in some holes, but not really any massive, new adventures.

Then, in the early '90s, they start licensing novels and comics that take place afterward. Around that time, Lucas' statements about nine movies begin to change to six movies, and whenever people asked him about nine, he denies that that was ever the plan. My theory is that he decided in his mind that doing six more movies was unrealistic, so he should change his story. Well, if he's not going to make any sequel movies, why not let others pay him money for the rights to do so? He kept the Clone Wars era of limits, though, as he still hoped to do Episodes I-III.

Well, through the Prequel era, he sticks with the "six movies" story. He claims that this was always the story arc of Anakin Skywalker (even though the original book, published prior to the first movie, had the series name "The Adventures of Luke Skywalker"; Also, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which was the first non-movie book, and was actually published before TESB, in its original publishing is part of "The Adventures of Luke Skywalker", not Star Wars), and since that story was completed with ROTJ, there is nothing more to tell.

Well then, all of a sudden he starts working on this deal with Disney, and once again his story changes. Oh yeah, guys! It is actually nine movies! And he had a basic story outline for VII-IX that he had written years prior.

As soon as I heard about the Disney deal and how Lucas had changed his story again, I knew that the EU would be scrapped. There are major galaxy-changing events that take place in the EU period. It would be silly to have a movie trilogy take place after these events but not to have movies about these events. But really, the stories don't really make good movie material. For one thing, they are way too long. The Thrawn Trilogy of books could never be a trilogy of movies. For another, the story-telling devices in most of the books are completely different than the way the movies are structured.

I was initially annoyed. Having invested over 15 years of reading the books, I felt like I was being slapped in the face. After some reflection, though, I decided to be cautiously optimistic. There are things that I like about the Prequel movies, but there are many things that I don't like about them, either. From all of the things that I have read and documentaries I have watched, I have come to the conclusion that the worst thing to happen to the Prequel movies was that George Lucas directed them. Don't get me wrong. I think that he has great story ideas. He created a universe that has had a huge impact on my life. He's fine as a producer, even a very hands on producer. But I think that he's a terrible director. Had they brought in others to direct, as was the case with TESB and ROTJ, I am certain that I would have enjoyed Episodes I-III much more. So the best thing that these new movies have going for them, in my opinion, is that Lucas' role in them is very minor.

Disney certainly doesn't get everything right, but they are doing amazing things with Marvel. So I am remaining hopeful that the new direction with Star Wars, including the Sequel Trilogy, spin-off movies, and connecting TV shows, novels, comics, and video games will be done well. Undoubtedly there will be some hiccups along the way, but I am excited to see what the future of the Galaxy Far, Far Away has in store for us.
    Last edited by lucas; April 28, 2014 at 02:37pm.

Not liking what ultimately happened to the Solo children and Chewbacca, and feeling that EU had kind of gone on too long to work well as an unfilmed history for new movies, I won't protest this too loudly. I don't envy the job of creating new canon now though. I doubt I'll like Mara Jade being clearly replaced as Luke's wife--although I for one think they took way too long to even get to phoning in a romance with her and Luke even in the EU.

I still say they'd be smartest to retcon as much as possible the popular early stories/characters/events like the Courtship of Princess Leia, Shadows of the Empire, maybe Dark Empire but definitely the Thrawn trilogy into an animated series along the lines of CLONE WARS. I don't doubt that things get too convoluted by the time you reach the Jedi Search or events of NJO, but those earlier stories ought to be retcon-able. Jacen and Jaina probably won't be the Solo children, Mara probably wouldn't end up wife to Luke or mother to his offspring, and probably the spirits of older characters would be more prominent (and thus can tie in to prequel-era events more easily), but I'm convinced they'd be better off adapting that than throwing every last bit of it out.

Of course I'm not sure Disney is going to do anything right with the TV stuff. I don't like what they've done with Marvel's TV shows, and jury's still out on Rebels, so....faint hope, this.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Lucasfilm and Star Wars are dead to me now.

Marcus Andronicus: Oh brother, speak with possibility and do not break into these deep extremes.

Titus: Are not my sorrows deep, having no bottom? Then be my passions bottomless with them.

Marcus Andronicus: But yet let reason govern thy lament.

Titus: If there were reason for these miseries, then into limits could I bind my woes!

Timothy Zahn shared his thoughts on the situation (from Facebook):

"As far as I can tell from the announcement, LFL is *not* erasing the EU, but simply making it clear that nothing there is official canon. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, nor does it immediately send everything into alternate-universe status. If nothing from the Thrawn Trilogy, say, is used in future movies (and if there’s nothing in the movies that contradicts it), then we can reasonably continue to assume that those events *did* happen. It looks to me like the “Legends” banner is going to be used mainly to distinguish Story-Group-Approved canon books from those that aren’t officially canon but might still exist.

Even if something from the Thrawn Trilogy *does* show up in a movie in a different form, we authors are masters of spackle, back-fill, and hand-waving. For example, if Ghent appears in the movies but never mentions Thrawn, I can argue that he simply doesn’t want to talk about that era, or else has completely forgotten about it. (Which for Ghent isn’t really much of a stretch.)

There’s nothing inherently demeaning in the term “Legends.” Think back (a little farther…a little farther) to Disney’s 1950s “Davy Crockett” TV series, (a show I grew up with) which presented stories and legends about the King of the Wild Frontier. Historians have Crockett’s genuine history, but there’s nothing that says these TV adventures *didn’t* happen, right? So until and unless the legend puts Davy in Tennessee at the same time the real history puts him in Virginia, we can still believe those adventures happened. That’s how I expect it to be with the “real” Star Wars history versus the “legendary” adventures of the EU.

Bottom line: let’s all sit back and relax and see what new adventures are offered to us, both in new books and new movies. It’ll be Star Wars, and that’s what counts."

I'll be honest I'm not a huge fan of the EU. I always thought Mara Jade was nothing more than a Mary Sue. I love Aayla, but since she's in the movies I guess I'm safe.

I'm not surprised they did this. Killing the Eu gives them huge freedom now. Now they can create a world where Leia and Han have kids , maybe not twins and Luke has none(which is what should have happen anyway).
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Tarkin is the one I'm looking forward to the most of these new books, and I'm willing to bet it will mostly fit in nicely with established EU canon.
    Looking forward to A New Dawn one. Really interested in finding out how Kanan and Hera met and hopefully get a bit of back story as well, maybe some information on Kannan's Jedi days and his Order 66 experience etc.
    Lords of the Sith, the title for this book really got me excited as I was thinking more ancient Sith but when I saw the cover and read the synopsis I was a little disappointed.
    The whole Emperor and Vader stranded on a planet just seems very gimmicky to me, the same reason I wasn't interested in DM Lockdown. The only gimmick SW needs is SW. I'm not a fan of these SW meets such and such type novels.
    Again with Heir to the Jedi, I didn't realize this was the third book in the Empire and Rebellion trilogy so when I read the title of this novel I mistakenly assumed it would be set just after ROTJ and was really excited about it.
    But then when I read its was set between ANH and TESB my interest just dropped.
    Is anyone else just board of this era between between ANH and TESB? I feel like it's just been done to death. This is the same reason why I wasn't interested in the Empire and Rebellion trilogy of novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    To be honest, only a few books I would conisder to be really great cannon.
    I've got way more then that left to catch up on, probably about 20. Just reading The Lost Tribe of the Sith collection at the minute.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post

Labelling them fan fiction is a major exaggeration IMO. It's still officially licensed material, it's just a separate canon to the new movies. Many properties have multiple canons/universes. Personally I'm considering everything pre ROTJ still canon until it is contradicted in a new story.
    But I think personal canon is the way forward (this is what I do with MOTU), and for me the EU is (and will always) my top level, primary canon, and this new 'unified' canon (including the new movies) will an alternative canon/timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Of course I'm not sure Disney is going to do anything right with the TV stuff. I don't like what they've done with Marvel's TV shows, and jury's still out on Rebels, so....faint hope, this.
    If Agents of Shield is anything to go by with Marvel's Live Action TV shows then I'm not looking forward to an inevitable SW Live Action TV show. Wish they'd do the Underworld SW Live Action TV shows George Lucas developed but I don't think thats ever going to happen.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26