Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Director's Commentary #19: Adora. Princess, Sister, Role Model

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

MOTUC Director's Commentary #19: Adora. Princess, Sister, Role Model

After a long hiatus, it's back!

Hey He-Fans and She-Ravers,
    Okay, so I started this blog well before SDCC 2012 and am now finishing it three weeks after the show. It has been a VERY busy past few months, between prepping for the show and then working with the fans and fan sites to sell the 2013 sub program. Now that we have success behind us and 2013 is a full “go” it is time to get back to the show, and how appropriate to start with a fresh year of figures, the first figure from 2010: Adora! I hope to get back on track and keep these blogs going on a semi weekly basis (the best I can, no guarantees!). Thanks for everyone’s patience while I made it through the summer Con season and the sub sell in period. And now, on with the show….

I was so excited to get to Adora -- our first Princess of Power figures and now again, a character who never had a figure in the vintage line. For starters, Adora was not supposed to be a 2010 figure. On the books, she was a 2009 figure and the original idea was she would have been the December 2009 figure, just getting in a “hint” of POP into Year 1, ensuring that each year had at least some POP in it.

Alas, the best laid plans of mice and men. Arg.

Mer-Man was running late and that threw a kink into the entire year. Not only was Scareglow no longer the October figure for Halloween 2009, but Adora now also got pushed a month which moved her from December 2009 to January 2010. While fans still got her figure as planned, this kink threw off our whole “POP every year goal” and the first year was almost all vintage MOTU figures. Oh well. Not the end of the world - but we really did try.

When it came time to figuring out who would be the first POP figure, the choice was really around three figures. She-Ra was an obvious choice, but both Bow and Adora came up a lot, too. It’s funny with POP. The fans of this segment (or “faction) are some of the most vocal on the internet. It seems like no matter whom we make from the POP faction, fans and customers continue to feel like we missed someone or have not gotten to someone who “should have had a figure by now”.

I just know that had we gone out with, say, Mermista or Peekablue first, fans would have been happy but would have loudly screamed for Adora or Bow. So going with them first was a gamble. In the end, Adora won out as the very first POP MOTUC figure for a few reason. Chiefly, she was a “She-Ra” figure without doing She-Ra. I think it was pretty clear that if we got to any POP figures, She-Ra would happen. This was for certain. By doing Adora first however, I had hoped it would help send the message that our POP figure selection would not be limited to only She-Ra (the obvious choice). Adora really symbolized everything MOTUC was about -- getting to figures that really “should have been in the vintage line” but for one reason or another never were, as well as all the other characters introduced since then that really needed figures.

And yeah, you can argue that by taking off the vintage She-Ra’s mask it is Adora, but that was not going to fly in the new collector Classics line. If we were going to do Adora we wanted to really do her right as her own legit figure, just like Prince Adam had a figure in the vintage line (and now in Classics, too).

Back when Adora was being worked on, we did not yet have rights to the classic Filmation series, which solidified her look (red tunic, boots etc.). The original plan that we discussed with the Horsemen was to find a way to make her look “close to this look” without stepping on Filmation’s copyrights. (Obviously things changed once we got full rights to the Filmation series in 2012 as part of a larger licensing program with Classics Media) but Adora way pre-dated this deal and we were really challenged with how to pull her off in a way fans would like without stepping on any copyright.

Usually I am not in favor of bending the rules or trying to work around any copyrights. It just is not fair. Mattel respects other company’s copyrights, just as we expect other companies to respect ours. But in the case of Adora (and the other POP ladies), all had appeared in a 1987 official Mattel licensor kit in a look that was very close to the animated series. This gave us a clear way to style Adora in the colors that closely matched her animated appearance. For the record, Adora was clearly owned by Mattel as a toy character; the specific colors of her outfit were what we didn’t want to tread on.

To plus her up a bit, the Horsemen gave her a removable holster and blaster. Removing the holster gave her almost a perfect animated look. And as a nice hidden Easter egg, the blaster was actually modeled after Teela’s gun from the 1987 live action movie – a little nod that would also repeat itself with another female figure down the road, Queen Marlena.
    Other than the gun and holster, Adora was pretty much spot-on as if she jumped right out of the vintage series. Many fans took issue that her tunic looked like (and pardon the phrase) “granny panties” with the way it folded in the back. Honestly, and I mean this in the nicest way, on this particular issue, I just don’t see it.

I get that fans want the female figures to have a little bit of sex appeal, but for my money, the Horsemen got her just right. A lot of the time when fans make comments online about slight improvements, I tend to agree with these choices (like adding black to the back of the Faceless One’s neck piece). But for Adora, really I felt she was perfect from day one. After all, she is supposed to be wearing a tunic, not a one piece swimsuit. She is in the Great Rebellion on the run from the Horde, not frolicking on the beach. Of , we went in the complete opposite direction and did a pure “sexy” version of a female figure with our Battleground Teela a few years later, putting her in a sci-fi metal bikini (with apologies to Jabba the Hutt’s slave wardrobe assistant). But for Adora, I still think she is right on and honestly wouldn’t change a thing. (Not like I could have anyway. By the time fans were commenting on her it was well past the point of making sculpt changes. Deco changes are occasionally possible, but sculpt changes really are not).

As the first POP (Princess of Power) figure, Adora was also the vehicle to introduce a new “faction” sticker that we had previously used for the Horde members. (Hordak has an “Evil Horde” sticker). A lot of fans also asked why we went with a Princess of Power sticker and not a “Great Rebellion” sticker to indicate the name of the group Adora worked with. Honestly, we did think about both options. In the end, we went with POP as that had way more brand equity. Yes, we clearly know she belongs to “the Great Rebellion” but there was a lot of intellectual property equity in using POP.

We actually eventually found a really cool way to do both by including a sticker sheet with a 2012 figure, Rattlor, that had “Great Rebellion” faction stickers created just for that sticker sheet. Fans could over label the POP sticker at their discretion. We even included an oversized GR sticker for Swiftwinds’s box! See, we think of everything Wink
    Adora was a very early favorite of mine and I still think one of the top 5 figures in the entire line. To , there is just something extra cool about having a figure that really “should have” been in the vintage line but never got made. POP is always a tricky thing. Had we held off on Adora until a later year and gone with, say, “Glimmer” or someone else earlier, I think the fan outcall for Glimmer would just be for Adora or visa-versa.

In the end, there really are only a handful of POP characters (outside the Filmation series, which we did not have access to until 2012). So doing an extra figure like Adora helped increase the amount of POP we could get into the line.

From day one, we very deliberately spaced out the relatively few POP characters to ensure every year has a robust selection. Had we frontloaded them, we might have gotten to 2013 and had very few left to do. If you look back where we are now (Fall 2012) we really have done quite a lot of POP skus. Heck, we did five in 2012 alone!

Fans of POP tend to be some of the most, dare I say, picky, often only counting a figure as “POP” if she (he) was a member of the Great Rebellion and had a vintage toy. Under this extremely narrow vision, characters like Catra (who was in Wave 1 of POP in 1985) or even Star Sisters (who were in the TV series and had proto toys made) don’t “count.” I respectfully disagree. POP in my mind covers anyone who was in the vintage show or toy line. Catra is just as much POP as Adora, and both characters need to be considered when looking at the total number of POP figures we have done and continue to do.

She-Ra and others would follow soon enough, but with Adora immortalized in plastic (see last blog) we had now firmly planted a foot in the POP realm and had no intention of getting out anytime soon.

Until next time!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    A lot of fans also asked why we went with a Princess of Power sticker and not a “Great Rebellion” sticker to indicate the name of the group Adora worked with. Honestly, we did think about both options. In the end, we went with POP as that had way more brand equity. Yes, we clearly know she belongs to “the Great Rebellion” but there was a lot of intellectual property equity in using POP.
    Please. I don't buy that for a second. They didn't think of it. "Brand equity"? Come on, you are selling these figures to die hard collectors, I think we all know who "the Great Rebellion" is. If the figures were being sold at retail there might be a grain of truth to this, but since they aren't, this is yet another Toyguru wash.

Also saying POP fans have "extremely narrow vision" for counting only Great Rebellion figures as POP is rude, abrasive, and dismissive. It also sidesteps responsibility. Had you simply went with "Great Rebellion" stickers instead of "POP" from the outset, then none of this would be an issue. When people ask for more POP now, they are really asking for more Great Rebellion, not more Horde members. You know that, we know that, and Mattel knows that. No need to treat your customer base like blinkered idiots for using your own confused terminology. This is not "respectfully disagreeing", it is berating and belittling.
    Last edited by Draego-Man; August 20, 2012 at 08:30pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    Please. I don't buy that for a second. They didn't think of it. "Brand equity"? Come on, you are selling these figures to die hard collectors, I think we all know who "the Great Rebellion" is. If the figures were being sold at retail there might be a grain of truth to this, but since they aren't, this is yet another Toyguru wash.
    You really love TG, don't you?
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

if he can't see the "granny panties” then why did they fix it for Cap. Glenn?

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    You really love TG, don't you?
    I don't know the guy, so I can't comment. I'm just not a fan of reading corporate spin all the time. Once in awhile mistakes could be admitted. It shows humility and grace, which are ultimately endearing qualities, where as the opposite of these are less than endearing.
    Last edited by Draego-Man; August 20, 2012 at 08:56pm.

I completely agree with what he says about figures like Catra counting under POP.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I completely agree with what he says about figures like Catra counting under POP.
    Catra yes. Leech no.

The problem with the tunic was the way it was cut at the hips. When they included it with the Captain Glenn figure, it was obviously trimmed up and looked a lot better. There's a reason some have asked for a Glenn tunic in Adora colors in future weapons packs.

I also think Scott overestimates the outcry. POP fans would have been happy to get any of the A-listers as the first figure; Adora was just an extra special surprise. Remember, this was at the beginning of the line, the cynicism hadn't set in yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekk-ra View Post
    The problem with the tunic was the way it was cut at the hips. When they included it with the Captain Glenn figure, it was obviously trimmed up and looked a lot better. There's a reason some have asked for a Glenn tunic in Adora colors in future weapons packs.

I also think Scott overestimates the outcry. POP fans would have been happy to get any of the A-listers as the first figure; Adora was just an extra special surprise. Remember, this was at the beginning of the line, the cynicism hadn't set in yet.
    i really hope we get it in a WP the ones she's got on is so ugly.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Ah Adora, one of my favorites and the one who started it all for me

Overall a good blog, but there is one bit that I disagree with. She's not wearing a tunic, at least not a tunic like Demo man or Preternia Disguise He-man. Now we can call it the lovechild of a tunic with a leotard/unitard/swimsuit if we want, but it's not just a tunic. Certainly not on the bottom.

Now I don't recall seeing posts asking for her to be wearing a skimpy bathing suit. But you can easily look at the MOTUC Adora and a picture of her from the cartoon and see that the bottom of her "Tunic-otard" doesn't match up. if he had a crotch piece (for lack of better term) like say Bow or Tallstar it would have been perfect. Even the "tunic-otard" that came with Captain Glenn was altered to be a bit closer (still not quite perfect without some modification)

She was a early female figure in the line and one that was using the 1.0 body and the one piece outfit like Teela. It is really the front that looks off, the "butt" part looks fine (). The front is more of a skirt and ends up coming off poorly, or more poorly than if it was designed say like Tallstar.

She's still awesome and one of the few figures I have 2 of (one regular and one in a modified Captain Glenn tunic).
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Catra yes. Leech no.
    Agreed...but I don't think anyone thought Leech should be included under POP. If so, I missed it.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    if he can't see the "granny panties” then why did they fix it for Cap. Glenn?
    My thought exactly! Toyguru, we would LOVE you to release a red Marlena tunic as part of another weapon pack just so that we can finally have an Adora figure that looks like she was supposed to look like!

no offense, but anyne who loves the cartoon would tell you that NO, Adora does not wear a tunic, but a leotard. And I agree with previous posts, no one ever complained about the back of her outfit, it's the front that is unsightly, and which was fixed on Marlena.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Agreed...but I don't think anyone thought Leech should be included under POP. If so, I missed it.
    Leech, no. Grizzlor could be retrofitted nicely into pop and maybe mantenna too since he's into personal hygiene and all in canon.

But seriously... I would prefer a little more pop myself. I got 4 subs for 2k13 and that would not have been possible if I had connected with this brand as a little girl whose parents bought her She-Ra toys back then.

What are the 5 POP SKUs from 2012?
    Star Sisters and Frosta are#1 & #2
    shadow Weaver could be #3
    Are Horde Prime and Mosquitor #4 & #5? or are we counting EACH sister as an individual SKU? cause something doesn't add up...

What robust selection!? the only Robust Selection is with vintage MOTU... where pretty much all the core characters for the heroic and evil warriors will be made by early 2013 (Two-Bad being the exception)
    I'm sure that if the POP fans had gotten Glimmer and Kowl by now there would not be that many complains about the PoP roster...
    (Design choices is another ballgame that I don't want to get into, in part for being in the minority that prefers the Toy designs)

I don't know why they did not go with a Great Rebellion sticker for everyone else who is not Adora/she-Ra...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

When people ask for more POP now, they are really asking for more Great Rebellion, not more Horde members. You know that, we know that, and Mattel knows that. No need to treat your customer base like blinkered idiots for using your own confused terminology. This is not "respectfully disagreeing", it is berating and belittling.
    POP fans should always just say who they want and not keep it vague. Outright. If Mattel makes a Great Rebellion member, then that character might not be popular enough if they pick someone like Netossa, who IS in the Great Rebellion.

I think of the Horde (Catra, Leech, whoever) as the Horde. However I think of the Horde as She-Ra's foes automatically because of the cartoon. Skeletor should be He-Man's "big bad".

One other point was about character selection and PoP. PoP gets limited slots, much more than vintage. Heck concept and prototype figures have almost as many. With limited slots character selection if felt more. So when you are still missing PoP A listers like Glimmer but have more obscure ones coming like Netossa it is more noticeable.

However it's not all bad. In fact with the ditching of the roadmap it may work out best that characters like the Star Sisters and Netossa have or are being released. Glimmer and Angella are pretty safe best.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

This is the first ToyGuru commentary that I've read, and I did so to hear what he had to say about Adora's granny panties/skirt.

Other than the gun and holster, Adora was pretty much spot-on as if she jumped right out of the vintage series. Many fans took issue that her tunic looked like (and pardon the phrase) “granny panties” with the way it folded in the back. Honestly, and I mean this in the nicest way, on this particular issue, I just don’t see it.

I get that fans want the female figures to have a little bit of sex appeal, but for my money, the Horsemen got her just right. A lot of the time when fans make comments online about slight improvements, I tend to agree with these choices (like adding black to the back of the Faceless One’s neck piece). But for Adora, really I felt she was perfect from day one. After all, she is supposed to be wearing a tunic, not a one piece swimsuit. She is in the Great Rebellion on the run from the Horde, not frolicking on the beach. Of , we went in the complete opposite direction and did a pure “sexy” version of a female figure with our Battleground Teela a few years later, putting her in a sci-fi metal bikini (with apologies to Jabba the Hutt’s slave wardrobe assistant). But for Adora, I still think she is right on and honestly wouldn’t change a thing. (Not like I could have anyway. By the time fans were commenting on her it was well past the point of making sculpt changes. Deco changes are occasionally possible, but sculpt changes really are not).
    Sir, as a lifelong She-Ra: Princess of Power fan...you are mistaken. You are very, very mistaken Adora did wear a "one piece swimsuit" as you put it. It's clear in the show that it isn't a skirt. It's impossible to even mistake it for a skirt. And, it's a big part of what makes her sexy: underwear and bare legs on the bottom, turtleneck and long sleeves on the top. It's who "Adora" is, visually.

I don't deny the figure looks great in all other respects...but that skirt/tunic/flap/granny panty situation was a mistake....one that I would VERY much like to see Mattel correct.

...not to sound like a complaining She-Ra fan or anything.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    I personally display all my horde (and snout spout for that matter) on my Etheria/POP shelf. They are She-ra's villains/allies. I think the issue is that the Great Rebellion itself is under represented...here is the releases in MOTU language:

He-Man/Adam
    Teela
    He-ro with purple stone
    He-ro with green stone
    He-ro with red stone
    And well.. Snout Spout

After 5 years, people want to see Man at Arms and Stratos already!
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    What are the 5 POP SKUs from 2012?
    Star Sisters and Frosta are#1 & #2
    shadow Weaver could be #3
    Are Horde Prime and Mosquitor #4 & #5? or are we counting EACH sister as an individual SKU? cause something doesn't add up...

What robust selection!? the only Robust Selection is with vintage MOTU... where pretty much all the core characters for the heroic and evil warriors will be made by early 2013 (Two-Bad being the exception)
    I'm sure that if the POP fans had gotten Glimmer and Kowl by now there would not be that many complains about the PoP roster...
    (Design choices is another ballgame that I don't want to get into, in part for being in the minority that prefers the Toy designs)

I don't know why they did not go with a Great Rebellion sticker for everyone else who is not Adora/she-Ra...
    on the last RGD, TG stated that every figure in a pack counts as a SKU, so yes the SS count as 3

So SS (3), SW (1) and Frosta (1) so that is 5
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    I personally display all my horde (and snout spout for that matter) on my Etheria/POP shelf. They are She-ra's villains/allies. I think the issue is that the Great Rebellion itself is under represented...here is the releases in MOTU language:

He-Man/Adam
    Teela
    He-ro with purple stone
    He-ro with green stone
    He-ro with red stone
    And well.. Snout Spout

After 5 years, people want to see Man at Arms and Stratos already!
    Exactly! That is what I was getting at, just said much better

POP does pretty clearly have better brand recognition. Even my wife, who has no interest in toys, knows what POP is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    POP does pretty clearly have better brand recognition. Even my wife, who has no interest in toys, knows what POP is.
    POP did out sell MOTU in the 80's but they seem to have forgot that.

Glimmer is a must next year. Surely she's coming. If they can get her and Scorpia out at the very least, I'd be very happy (in POP terms).

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    POP did out sell MOTU in the 80's but they seem to have forgot that.
    That's been debunked.

More accurately, Wave 1 of POP in 1985 (when MOTU was very popular) is cited with outselling MOTU's first Wave 1 back in 1982 (When MOTU was first starting). However, Wave 1 of POP isn't compared to MOTU's 1985 Wave 4.

Better "granny panties" than "Granny-myr panties".