Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Director's Commentary #19: Adora. Princess, Sister, Role Model

The answer is:

Because we are ungrateful, Scott.

Adora was a HUGE figure to me, and I'm right there with you with everything you said. But the thing is, and it's a thing that can be pointed out in 200X and NA too, the fans of POP have been waiting for all the "main" figures since Adora and we are still waiting. I'm a kind supporter of Scott and I usually agree with him or at least offer a supportive word when there is room for constructive criticism, but we still don't have a "robust" group of POP. And what we have so far ISN'T ENOUGH.

Bummer that this one had comments that push the "HOT BUTTON TOPICS" for POP fans. I was really looking forward to reading this entry. Just tell us you love us and can't wait to get us more of the figures from this genre, please!

I'm actually quite frustrated that we don't have more of these characters. Seeing as how there were only so many to get to, it seems that we should have had more by now. The subtext for POP fans didn't come across spectacularly here. We get tired of asking for things over and over, too. We don't intend to be annoying. Give us all our POP figures and we promise to back off!
    Last edited by PrinceAdam101; August 20, 2012 at 10:44pm.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    And then, Space Vikron got even BIGGER granny panties!
    POP characters always get the shaft.

Ugh.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Ugh.
    that sums it up better then most i have seen.

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Heroic Warrior
    Her front-bum is definitely weak, but like any line, there are growing pains. To me it's just one of those things I wish was better, but it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Ugh.
    totally 3rd that.

I havent heard or heard of fans thinking Adora shound't have been made first...

I was totally unaware that fans wanted GR STICKERS...bonus!

I am educated now!

MERMISTA

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Funny, he doesn't mention (or remember) that this was probably the first time a WTFWTK question made a movement to have a change done to a figure or its accessory.

It was asked if since her power sword was a clone of He-Man's if her sword could be painted two toned as well instead of the all silver we got, which Scott said he immediately tried to have happen but was too late to get to. That's why her sword was changed/included in the next weapons pack with the paint scheme that was asked for.

I 'like' how he points out there are only a handful of POP figures yet in 6+ years of this line (running through the the 2014 potential end) he won't get to a significant chuck of this handful.

Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    Please. I don't buy that for a second. They didn't think of it. "Brand equity"? Come on, you are selling these figures to die hard collectors, I think we all know who "the Great Rebellion" is. If the figures were being sold at retail there might be a grain of truth to this, but since they aren't, this is yet another Toyguru wash.

Also saying POP fans have "extremely narrow vision" for counting only Great Rebellion figures as POP is rude, abrasive, and dismissive. It also sidesteps responsibility. Had you simply went with "Great Rebellion" stickers instead of "POP" from the outset, then none of this would be an issue. When people ask for more POP now, they are really asking for more Great Rebellion, not more Horde members. You know that, we know that, and Mattel knows that. No need to treat your customer base like blinkered idiots for using your own confused terminology. This is not "respectfully disagreeing", it is berating and belittling.
    POP is the original Branding of the original toy line, The Great Rebellion is a faction in POP....I do get why they chose to use the POP instead of TGR. It's a Vintage toy tie in, and a homage to that original line, plain and simple. But no, aside from Catra (a Vintage POP toy), any Vintage "Horde" male is a MOTU figure, not POP, yet Bow was released as a doll, instead of a MOTU figure, I guess She-Ra had to have her Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Agreed...but I don't think anyone thought Leech should be included under POP. If so, I missed it.
    Leech is POP, but not technically toy wise, he and most of the Horde members were released under the MOTU banner, so toy wise The Male Horde members are not POP, no matter what excuse and reasoning Mattel wants to use
    POP covers every female & Bow made as Vintage toys, TGR is a faction of the cartoon, not the toys. POP is a BRAND, they chose to stick with, the NA isn't as popular as Vintage MOTU & POP, therefore the factions are used. But POP will also include all non Horde, TGR members even if they are Filmation based, never before made figures.

She-Ra was it's own entity, like the original MOTU....NA is basically MOTU, 200X is MOTU, She-Ra is POP. I can see why they opted to use POP, because it is the one line that had a separate story, and chain of events predominately separate from He-Man.

TGR is a faction contained inside POP, now they could have opted to let the collector choose a sticker by including a POP & TGR from the beginning, but I do see why POP is used, BUT....POP should only encompass those figures originally sold as POP toys, minus Catra. And anything POP that is new to the line, being never before made figures....should come with both stickers, to let the buyer decide what to use, me, I will be sticking to the POP sticker, as it will be the same on all the POP / TGR figures, since I already have 3 POP figures.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; August 21, 2012 at 01:10am.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    POP does pretty clearly have better brand recognition. Even my wife, who has no interest in toys, knows what POP is.
    Yes, I know it does. You misunderstood my post. He is speaking to a community of die hard fans...not the general public. We don't need brand recognition, we know Great Rebellion means the good guys of POP, so his explanation is ludicrous.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    This is the first ToyGuru commentary that I've read, and I did so to hear what he had to say about Adora's granny panties/skirt.

Sir, as a lifelong She-Ra: Princess of Power fan...you are mistaken. You are very, very mistaken Adora did wear a "one piece swimsuit" as you put it. It's clear in the show that it isn't a skirt. It's impossible to even mistake it for a skirt. And, it's a big part of what makes her sexy: underwear and bare legs on the bottom, turtleneck and long sleeves on the top. It's who "Adora" is, visually.

I don't deny the figure looks great in all other respects...but that skirt/tunic/flap/granny panty situation was a mistake....one that I would VERY much like to see Mattel correct.

...not to sound like a complaining She-Ra fan or anything.
    YES. Can someone please post that photo that was posted at the time of Adora's release? It showed the cartoon Adora in various poses, and wearing a leotard. It was unmistakably a leotard.

In fact I'm gonna make my Avatar from that pic if I find it!

This is how Adora should have look (imagine it's red) - PLEASE, MATTEL, re-release Adora with a Marlena glenn tunic in red (or in a Weapon pack!): http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    Last edited by oulala; August 21, 2012 at 01:25am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Toyguru is a little confused about something in this entry. Fans/customers only asked about the Great Rebellion sticker with Bow...because Bow isn't a princess, so some people thought it looked a tad funny on his packaging.

Nearly everyone was super excited when Adora was shown off at SDCC. The "granny panties" or "diaper" was the only issue people had with her upon her initial showing. At the time, Toyguru and the Four Horsemen explained they couldn't make her bottoms in a 'V' shape because of the hips, exposing the joints, etc. It's kind of silly that at the time they explained why she was made in such a way, and now recounting it Toyguru's answer is "I don't see it"? That's weird.

Also, there's only 3 PoP skus in 2012 (Star Sisters, Shadow Weaver and Frosta). 4 if you include Horde Prime. Mosquitor cannot be counted as PoP (even though TG likes to count all the Horde figures from the 80's MOTU line), because Mosquitor was never in any PoP media.

For the "handful" of PoP characters left from the toyline, there's:

- Toy She-Ra
    - Toy Catra
    - Starburst She-Ra
    - Scratch N' Sound Catra
    - Shower Power Catra
    - Glimmer
    - Queen Angella
    - Castaspella
    - Double Trouble
    - Kowl
    - Entrapta
    - Peekablue
    - Sweet Bee
    - Flutterina
    - Mermista
    - Spinnerella
    - Loo-Kee

Toyguru, we've only seen a handful in MOTUC. We're missing 15 figures (17 including the very different Toy versions of She-Ra and Catra). That's like...a BUS load. Not a handful. Especially since we will now only be getting the "main" Princess of Power figures.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

YES. Can someone please post that photo that was posted at the time of Adora's release? It showed the cartoon Adora in various poses, and wearing a leotard. It was unmistakably a leotard.

In fact I'm gonna make my Avatar from that pic if I find it!
    I made this picture around that time. Is this what you're thinking of?

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I honestly don't know how he could think she wore a tunic...unless he has a different definition of tunic. And I think her 'skirt' is really just supposed to be how the 4H sculpted her 'shorts' or whatever you want to call the bottom piece. I mean, when I look at it, that's what I see, even though it could have been done much better. A 'growing pain' of the line, as mentioned earlier. She really is a great figure otherwise. Would have been better with better-sculpted shorts and a waist-twist, but she still looks really good.

There! Try to do that wearing a tunic with a front flap or a mini skirt! This should settle the matter once and for all!

blog_adora_hand.jpgtumblr_m725lsow5S1roxfa5o1_500.jpg
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

There! Try to do that wearing a tunic with a front flap or a mini skirt! This should settle the matter once and for all!

blog_adora_hand.jpgtumblr_m725lsow5S1roxfa5o1_500.jpg
    lol do we need to buy a She-Ra dvd and send it to TG?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Toyguru is a little confused about something in this entry. Fans/customers only asked about the Great Rebellion sticker with Bow...because Bow isn't a princess, so some people thought it looked a tad funny on his packaging.

Nearly everyone was super excited when Adora was shown off at SDCC. The "granny panties" or "diaper" was the only issue people had with her upon her initial showing. At the time, Toyguru and the Four Horsemen explained they couldn't make her bottoms in a 'V' shape because of the hips, exposing the joints, etc. It's kind of silly that at the time they explained why she was made in such a way, and now recounting it Toyguru's answer is "I don't see it"? That's weird.

Also, there's only 3 PoP skus in 2012 (Star Sisters, Shadow Weaver and Frosta). 4 if you include Horde Prime. Mosquitor cannot be counted as PoP (even though TG likes to count all the Horde figures from the 80's MOTU line), because Mosquitor was never in any PoP media.

- Toy She-Ra
    - Toy Catra
    - Starburst She-Ra
    - Scratch N' Sound Catra
    - Shower Power Catra
    - Glimmer
    - Queen Angella
    - Castaspella
    - Double Trouble
    - Kowl
    - Entrapta
    - Peekablue
    - Sweet Bee
    - Flutterina
    - Mermista
    - Spinnerella
    - Loo-Kee

Toyguru, we've only seen a handful in MOTUC. We're missing 15 figures (17 including the very different Toy versions of She-Ra and Catra). That's like...a BUS load. Not a handful. Especially since we will now only be getting the "main" Princess of Power figures.
    Besides the ones off the top of my head like Scorpia, Seahawk, Madam Razz, and Imp, what other Filmation characters was Toyguru talking about that expanded the POP line-up from the "handful" of characters that were originally available?
    Last edited by A.J.; August 21, 2012 at 02:21am.

I have no problems whatsoever with Toyguru listing the Horde characters as part of POP.
    The Horde was created for POP. The Horde's main media was the Princess of Power Cartoon.

I couldn't care less about the fact that the original toys were labelled 'MOTU' or appeared in minicomics. What mattered to me as a child - and what matters to me now, is that those characters were in She-ra's story. Not He-man's. Hordak is She-ra's nemesis.

So on my POP shelf, I have all horde characters AND the POP characters which to me, are one and the same.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Sir, as a lifelong She-Ra: Princess of Power fan...you are mistaken. You are very, very mistaken Adora did wear a "one piece swimsuit" as you put it. It's clear in the show that it isn't a skirt. It's impossible to even mistake it for a skirt. And, it's a big part of what makes her sexy: underwear and bare legs on the bottom, turtleneck and long sleeves on the top. It's who "Adora" is, visually.

Yes... in the cartoon she DID wear a swimsuit. So did Teela.

What TG is stating/implying... is that it wasn't MEANT to be a 'swimsuit'

Same thing with he-man's (and everyone else's) Loincloths. In the cartoon they were obviously 'furry underwear'

Just one of the design changes in Classics that really don't matter in the long run.

I have no problems whatsoever with Toyguru listing the Horde characters as part of POP.
    The Horde was created for POP. The Horde's main media was the Princess of Power Cartoon.

I couldn't care less about the fact that the original toys were labelled 'MOTU' or appeared in minicomics. What mattered to me as a child - and what matters to me now, is that those characters were in She-ra's story. Not He-man's. Hordak is She-ra's nemesis.

So on my POP shelf, I have all horde characters AND the POP characters which to me, are one and the same.

Exactly This.

The 'good guys' on Eternia are called the 'masters fo the universe'... Does this mean that Skeletor, Trpa jaw and mer man 'Don't Count' as MOTU figures?

The Horde was the 'bad guys' for She-ra. If you don't count them... then the PoP line has only 2 bad guys in the whole line... and we got one.

The way I judge it, is pretty much the same as TG. IF I had NEVER watched or Collected He-man... and was a MASSIVE Fan of PoP... Would I WANT that figure??

She-ra... adora.. bow... absolutely.

Catra, Shadow weaver... Ohhh yeah.

Hordak, Grizzlor? Can't do without them!!!!!!

Mer man??? ummmm WHo is THAT guy?? Easy pass

looks like it was meant to be one to me

Attached Images Attached Images

I never had a problem with her outfit or saw the whole granny pants thing.

Adora!

This was the figure that made me start collecting MOTUC. I love the figure and it's one of my favourite's still and I've never seen the "granny panties" thing to be honest.

Catra and the Star Sisters totally count as POP characters because they are so I've never gotten that argument. POP fans just want to see more vintage toy characters (in their Filmation looks) produced in the line.

Going into 2014 and still not having characters like Glimmer, Mermista and Queen Angella is a joke.

Apparently the justification is that each sister counts as an independent SKU, which still doesn't add up when we try to apply the 2 accessory rule... on whoever doesn't get to carry Glory Bird as her accessory... I get that Tallstar's extensions are her "second accessory" so that's that. I get that one of the other 2 gets glory bird, but that still leaves out a Starbursting backpiece or a pink rock...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

- Toy She-Ra
    - Toy Catra
    - Starburst She-Ra
    - Scratch N' Sound Catra
    - Shower Power Catra
    - Glimmer
    - Queen Angella
    - Castaspella
    - Double Trouble
    - Kowl
    - Entrapta
    - Peekablue
    - Sweet Bee
    - Flutterina
    - Mermista
    - Spinnerella
    - Loo-Kee

I think this is a matter of interpretation. Looking at your list, I'm counting 10 characters that deserve a monthly slot, 2 pack-ins and a bunch of variants that at the current state of things, with the line being scaled down and in potential danger of getting discontinued in 2014 or 2015 many people can easily live without. Look at the "which vintage MOTU figures can you live without" thread, many agree that variants should not take up monthly slots but rather be put on hold fpr the time being or should be sold outside the sub as two-packs or something. Right now, variants just should not take up valuable monthly slots, because there are just too few of these slots. The same goes for Loo-Kee and Kowl. If done in scale these should never take up a monthly slot, but rather be sold in two-packs (well, "one-and-a-half-packs ) like Orko/Adam or Marlena/Cringer

So I think it's really 10 not 17
    Awesome sticker included!

I'm a little perplexed that people are still discussing the sticker issue. I don't see the packaging as being anywhere near as important as the figure itself. Heck, they could (should?) sell these in blank, biodegradable brown boxes and I'd be thrilled.

Yes... in the cartoon she DID wear a swimsuit. So did Teela.

What TG is stating/implying... is that it wasn't MEANT to be a 'swimsuit'
    ...and that's based on what, exactly? Who says Teela wasn't supposed to be wearing a swimsuit? She did in the show, she did in the mini-comics and that's how her toy looked! Ditto with Adora!

I agree. I guess he means that it's never bothered him the way it has us...but that's not the same thing as saying "we couldn't fix it, and you know what - it doesn't bug me".

Though I have no reason to believe they'll do this at all, given how little time there now is left in this line, I still want to fight for an Adora 2.0 with:

-Twist Waist
    -Proper Undies (Glenn-style)
    -Right hand pointed down so she can raise her sword up like in the show, to transform

And whatever other bonuses to make the new figure different (Horde Armor?). I loathe the stupid, non-canon "tunic" and will never accept it.

(but then, I hate He-Man/Adam's furry loincloth too, and think it should have been briefs!)

Down the road, I think they should just release two-packs for He-Man/Adam, and She-Ra/Adora. That way, we can get a refresh of the figures, with a new tunic for Adora, and a new swordholder added to Adam's jacket.

Everybody wins!