Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 115

Thread: MOTUC Director's Commentary #19: Adora. Princess, Sister, Role Model

  1. #51
    CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Posts
    1,846
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Toyguru is a little confused about something in this entry. Fans/customers only asked about the Great Rebellion sticker with Bow...because Bow isn't a princess, so some people thought it looked a tad funny on his packaging.

    Nearly everyone was super excited when Adora was shown off at SDCC. The "granny panties" or "diaper" was the only issue people had with her upon her initial showing. At the time, Toyguru and the Four Horsemen explained they couldn't make her bottoms in a 'V' shape because of the hips, exposing the joints, etc. It's kind of silly that at the time they explained why she was made in such a way, and now recounting it Toyguru's answer is "I don't see it"? That's weird.

    Also, there's only 3 PoP skus in 2012 (Star Sisters, Shadow Weaver and Frosta). 4 if you include Horde Prime. Mosquitor cannot be counted as PoP (even though TG likes to count all the Horde figures from the 80's MOTU line), because Mosquitor was never in any PoP media.

    For the "handful" of PoP characters left from the toyline, there's:

    - Toy She-Ra
    - Toy Catra
    - Starburst She-Ra
    - Scratch N' Sound Catra
    - Shower Power Catra
    - Glimmer
    - Queen Angella
    - Castaspella
    - Double Trouble
    - Kowl
    - Entrapta
    - Peekablue
    - Sweet Bee
    - Flutterina
    - Mermista
    - Spinnerella
    - Loo-Kee

    Toyguru, we've only seen a handful in MOTUC. We're missing 15 figures (17 including the very different Toy versions of She-Ra and Catra). That's like...a BUS load. Not a handful. Especially since we will now only be getting the "main" Princess of Power figures.

    - - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    I think this is a matter of interpretation. Looking at your list, I'm counting 10 characters that deserve a monthly slot, 2 pack-ins and a bunch of variants that at the current state of things, with the line being scaled down and in potential danger of getting discontinued in 2014 or 2015 many people can easily live without. Look at the "which vintage MOTU figures can you live without" thread, many agree that variants should not take up monthly slots but rather be put on hold fpr the time being or should be sold outside the sub as two-packs or something. Right now, variants just should not take up valuable monthly slots, because there are just too few of these slots. The same goes for Loo-Kee and Kowl. If done in scale these should never take up a monthly slot, but rather be sold in two-packs (well, "one-and-a-half-packs ) like Orko/Adam or Marlena/Cringer

    So I think it's really 10 not 17
    Both raise good points. I agree 100% on the variants. I would rather have a new character than "shower power" anyone, just like I would rather have a new character before "laser light" anyone. So the same arguement can be used for vintage MOTU as well. If you drop variants (5 by my count) and figures that could be "pack ins" (Gwildor, possibly a Rotar/Twistoid 2 pack, etc). You end up with about 20 vintage MOTU left. Now if you compare character selections and characters left with the total number of figures produced in the vintage lines PoP fans have legitimate concerns. Vintage MOTU fans are anticipating Two-Bad, hardly an "a lister" by any means, to be coming soon, while hoping that Rotar and Twistoid get released at all. PoP fans meanwhile are without critical characters like Glimmer and have very real concerns that they may never get some of the others in the line.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

    Also...get her into the line!

    Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

  2. #52
    Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    LOS ANGELES
    Posts
    1,583
    Of course Adora is an awesome figure. But just like Teela, she unfortunately was one of the first female figures and there were a few problems with them, as much as they're two of my favorite figures in the whole line. Both suffered from a thick, non pliable plastic dress. Teela cannot even sit. Adora's plastic was a tad more flexible but if you leave her in a sitting position, the red plastic of the 'tunic' will never return to shape. It will be 'stretched out' from then onwards.

    I know what you guys are saying about variants versus new characters. I too would rather get Glimmer than Battle Ground Whoever, but Teela and Adora really deserve a fix. They are A-list royalties in my book. But so is He-man and seeing how He-man himself won't even get an upgrade, I have little faith in getting a Teela and Adora 2.0 especially now that the line is in jeopardy.

    What they could do however which would solve everything would be, for Teela, to release a 'Sorceress Teela' with a removable cloak, and underneath, the new female buck and a retooled Teela tunic with twist waist and soft outfit. (I would buy her in a hearbeat).

    I would also love to see a re-released, twist-waist Adora but if that's not possible, all we need is that retooled Marlena tunic done in Adora's colors. All we then need to do is tear out the granny pant suit on Adora and replace it with Marlena's removable tunic.

    The red repaint of Marlena's tunic could easily find a home in a new Weapon pack or with any other POP related figure... How about Sea Hawk?
    Either ways, I LOVE ADORA. She is stunning. I trimmed the granny pants on the front with a pair of scissors and she's okay. I just wish we could get that red tunic so that she'd look even better!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    Down the road, I think they should just release two-packs for He-Man/Adam, and She-Ra/Adora. That way, we can get a refresh of the figures, with a new tunic for Adora, and a new swordholder added to Adam's jacket.

    Everybody wins!
    A perfect idea! I would do it maybe with a HE-MAN / TEELA two packs, featuring updated version of Teela with Twist waist and softer outfit,
    And a PRINCE ADAM / PRINCESS ADORA two packs, featuring Adam with a newly sculpted head and sword holder and Adore with either the Marlena tunic OR a twist-waist and retooled two parts tunic! (which would be the better way to do it, as Marlena's tunic does not have a sword holder) Everybody wins, everybody's happy!

    Also in a recent Q & A, Toyguru said that a modified, upgraded pelvis part for the female buck would appear on the next female after Frosta.
    If they sculpted a leotard-type loin part - similar to King Hiss - that eliminated the need for a flap of unsightly rubber, they could totally use that to update Adora and Teela.

    Since the line isn't performing as well as before, 2 packs imho are the way to go as you can pack a highly desirable character with a slightly less famous character.
    Last edited by oulala; August 21, 2012 at 11:00am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

  3. #53
    CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Posts
    1,846
    I'm not a huge fan of variants, but an Adora 2.0 is on my short list.

    I've trimmed the front of the one I have and put a repainted Marlena tunic on the other. It works pretty well.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

    Also...get her into the line!

    Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

  4. #54
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,891
    Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    on the last RGD, TG stated that every figure in a pack counts as a SKU, so yes the SS count as 3

    So SS (3), SW (1) and Frosta (1) so that is 5
    This isn't verbatim, but I seem to recall Eric saying that they had to hustle on The Star Sisters because the amount of time alloted to the characters was like that of a single Beast slot. Not sure what to believe.

  5. #55
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,498
    I think when they say that a multi-pack counts as 3 SKUs, they mean in terms of the time and work that goes into making, assembling, and painting them in the factory. On one of the recent RGB episodes, ToyGuru was saying that the Wind Raider, for example, took a lot more time than most normal figures or beasts, which is why the original sales of it back in December were just "okay". Because of all of the parts and features on it (i.e. the firing hook, the wind up string feature, etc) it just took more time in the factory to make, and they had to initially cut it short to put the resources into other figures/items, so what originally came out was only a portion of the original intended order.

    So, by comparison, each individual figure or even each larger beast (which despite the size is still a single item that has to be assembled with typically no more parts than a regular figure) take less time to make. But when multi-packs are thrown in the mix, it basically takes the same amount of production time (i.e. time that the factory employees are working on those items) as 3 separate figures to produce. Even if there are fewer accessories in some cases, most of the work goes into the figure, itself. So that's why they count as "3 Skus".
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  6. #56
    Heroic Warrior Stygian360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I never had a problem with her outfit or saw the whole granny pants thing.
    Agree with this.--^ I was always more focused on her face and body sculpt in that regard Adora completely owns anything female that the Horsemen have done for any other line. In fact Adora is more than likely the best female figure I own, and I compare this to all the various female figures that I've purchased since I began collecting action figures in grade school. The face sculpt is incredible and 'granny panties' or no I think she turned out superbly.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

  7. #57
    Queer Sorcerer Telkan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Posts
    1,274
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    Bummer that this one had comments that push the "HOT BUTTON TOPICS" for POP fans. I was really looking forward to reading this entry. Just tell us you love us and can't wait to get us more of the figures from this genre, please!

    I'm actually quite frustrated that we don't have more of these characters. Seeing as how there were only so many to get to, it seems that we should have had more by now. The subtext for POP fans didn't come across spectacularly here. We get tired of asking for things over and over, too. We don't intend to be annoying. Give us all our POP figures and we promise to back off!
    Yeah, I have to echo this sentiment. I always enjoy reading these blogs, and I've been looking forward to this one since they started. It's a shame Scott decided to use this entry to paint the POP fans as overly critical ingrates, which is an extra hard slap in the face considering the 2013 sub wouldn't have sold nearly as well as it did without us. Nothing like biting the hand that feeds you, is there?

    To the point about POP fans being picky: Bow, Catra, and She-Ra (2.0) have been amongst the most highly praised figures to be released--no complaints about reversed forearms, hardly any (if any) complaints about paint jobs, etc. Conversely, the criticism of She-Ra (1.0) was no worse than the amount of legitimate sculpting critiques made about the Eternian characters with playability and display issues (e.g., Roboto and Snout Spout), and far less insulting than some of the ridiculous complaints made about Teela (1.0; e.g., her flat posterior). Secondly, the vast majority of complaints made about the Star Sisters came from those collectors who never wanted them to be released in the first place.

    So, since it's clearly not the aesthetic issues that we're hyper-critical of, how exactly are we being "picky"? The answer must be in the order of roll-out, to which I re-direct you to the following:

    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    I 'like' how [Scott] points out there are only a handful of POP figures yet in 6+ years of this line (running through the the 2014 potential end) he won't get to a significant chuck of this handful.
    For me, this the most relevant post in this entire thread. That fact that I'm still missing Queen Angella and Glimmer--you know, the founders of the Great Rebellion--and so many other amazing Etherian warriors is flabbergasting, especially when I look at my other shelves and see things like Vy-Krap. Are there some who are upset that we're getting Netossa over someone like Castaspella in the (probable) penultimate year of the line? Absolutely (though I love Netossa). But to suggest that the POP fans were upset at the beginning of the line, when we saw Adora, She-Ra, Bow, and Catra in relatively short order, and the distribution of the factions seemed more balanced, is both misleading and insulting.
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

    Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

    Zoar28, Facebook


  8. #58
    Heroic Warrior Eternian Poet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,840
    Granny panties.

    Granny panties.

    Granny panties.
    ***
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

  9. #59
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    Yeah, I have to echo this sentiment. I always enjoy reading these blogs, and I've been looking forward to this one since they started. It's a shame Scott decided to use this entry to paint the POP fans as overly critical ingrates, which is an extra hard slap in the face considering the 2013 sub wouldn't have sold nearly as well as it did without us. Nothing like biting the hand that feeds you, is there?

    To the point about POP fans being picky: Bow, Catra, and She-Ra (2.0) have been amongst the most highly praised figures to be released--no complaints about reversed forearms, hardly any (if any) complaints about paint jobs, etc. Conversely, the criticism of She-Ra (1.0) was no worse than the amount of legitimate sculpting critiques made about the Eternian characters with playability and display issues (e.g., Roboto and Snout Spout), and far less insulting than some of the ridiculous complaints made about Teela (1.0; e.g., her flat posterior). Secondly, the vast majority of complaints made about the Star Sisters came from those collectors who never wanted them to be released in the first place.

    So, since it's clearly not the aesthetic issues that we're hyper-critical of, how exactly are we being "picky"? The answer must be in the order of roll-out, to which I re-direct you to the following:



    For me, this the most relevant post in this entire thread. That fact that I'm still missing Queen Angella and Glimmer--you know, the founders of the Great Rebellion--and so many other amazing Etherian warriors is flabbergasting, especially when I look at my other shelves and see things like Vy-Krap. Are there some who are upset that we're getting Netossa over someone like Castaspella in the (probable) penultimate year of the line? Absolutely (though I love Netossa). But to suggest that the POP fans were upset at the beginning of the line, when we saw Adora, She-Ra, Bow, and Catra in relatively short order, and the distribution of the factions seemed more balanced, is both misleading and insulting.
    TG is voicing the stereotype of POP fans in Classics -- they are NEVER satisfied with Mattel's efforts. He's probably frustrated with all of the various issues from Adora's grany panties, the hole in She-Ra's head, She-Ra can't sit on Swiftwind, the lack of detail on She-Ra, Catra's rubbery hand, Frosta's face, Netossa's missing weapons and headpiece, the Star Sisters don't count and the Great Rebellion stickers. TG gives fans more Great Rebellion and Netossa doesn't cut it. However, Mattel doesn't take POP seriously enough, prompting much of that criticism.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

  10. #60
    Heroic Warrior Mern-Ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,433
    Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    The red repaint of Marlena's tunic could easily find a home in a new Weapon pack or with any other POP related figure... How about Sea Hawk?
    I think that would be about the pimpest thing ever: a guy figure coming with his girlfriend's dress as one of his accessories!!! I CAN'T WAIT to recreate the "Hey baby, you left this at my place." scene!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

    Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

    The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

  11. #61
    Heroic Warrior toyboys inc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    TG is voicing the stereotype of POP fans in Classics -- they are NEVER satisfied with Mattel's efforts. He's probably frustrated with all of the various issues from Adora's grany panties, the hole in She-Ra's head, She-Ra can't sit on Swiftwind, the lack of detail on She-Ra, Catra's rubbery hand, Frosta's face, Netossa's missing weapons and headpiece, the Star Sisters don't count and the Great Rebellion stickers. TG gives fans more Great Rebellion and Netossa doesn't cut it. However, Mattel doesn't take POP seriously enough, prompting much of that criticism.
    He-Man first edition's red eyes, Skelletor can't hold his staff (first edition, too), Clawful looks goofy, Buzzoff looks goofy, where's Grizzlor 200x face??, Teela's tunic is too rigid and she has a booble head, where's 200x Evil Lyn's tunic???, etc etc.

    Im sorry, but POP fans aren't the only ones complaining. I rarely post, but I've read all of the above thousands of times, and I think it's great that fans voice their opinions (even tho I don't agree with them most of the times, haha!)

    To me, TG's Adora entry was insulting.
    Toy Boys, Inc. Customs here ----> http://www.flickr.com/toyboys-inc

    add us on Facebook! ToyBoys Movies

  12. #62
    Heroic Warrior Wonder Princess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    567
    It is good to see these return and Adora is a great way to start back. Thank you for sharing these with us and for all that you do for MOTUC.
    Meow,
    Princess Selina Desire

  13. #63
    Queer Sorcerer Telkan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Posts
    1,274
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    TG is voicing the stereotype of POP fans in Classics -- they are NEVER satisfied with Mattel's efforts. He's probably frustrated with all of the various issues from Adora's grany panties, the hole in She-Ra's head, She-Ra can't sit on Swiftwind, the lack of detail on She-Ra, Catra's rubbery hand, Frosta's face, Netossa's missing weapons and headpiece, the Star Sisters don't count and the Great Rebellion stickers. TG gives fans more Great Rebellion and Netossa doesn't cut it. However, Mattel doesn't take POP seriously enough, prompting much of that criticism.
    But he's the one who's instigating that stereotype. It's simply not true to say that POP fans are "NEVER satisfied with Mattel's efforts" (again, I point you to Bow and She-Ra (2.0)). As far as the other points you made, I suggest the following:

    * complaints about the hole in She-Ra (1.0)'s head are no different than the complaints about the cracks in Roboto's body (i.e., a display issue);

    * criticism about the lack of detail on She-Ra (1.0) is no different from the criticism some (but not me) leveled toward Count Marzo's so-called hyper-detailing;

    * Catra's rubbery hand (which, for many, tore right off when attempting to move it) is no different from the complaints about Snout Spout's cracking trunk;

    * Frosta's face paint is no different from the criticism directed at Faceless One's head sculpt and paint job;

    * She-Ra (1.0) can't sit on Swift Wind--just imagine, for a second, the outcry if He-Man couldn't sit on Battle-Cat;

    * Netossa's missing weapons and face-shield--imagine if Man-At-Arms didn't come with all of his armaments or his mace;

    * the Star Sisters don't count--imagine if the line were nearing its end and the MOTU-only fans had Vy-Krap, Vikor, and Gy-Gor but not Man-At-Arms, Stratos, or Ram-Man.

    As you rightly pointed out, Mattel warrants a lot of the criticism they receive. I stand by my earlier assertion that it's incredibly insulting and disingenuous for Scott to paint POP fans as being pickier than the fans of any other faction, when our criticisms are honestly no different from the critiques made by others about non-POP characters.
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

    Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

    Zoar28, Facebook


  14. #64
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    * the Star Sisters don't count--imagine if the line were nearing its end and the MOTU-only fans had Vy-Krap, Vikor, and Gy-Gor but not Man-At-Arms, Stratos, or Ram-Man.
    I see the Star Sisters like He-Ro -- a long lost character, rather than previously unknown concept characters. However, unlike He-Ro, the Star Sisters did come out in various media at the time. They have POP magazine appearances and even had a Filmation appearance to legitimize them as actual characters, but their figures didn't make it before the line ended.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

  15. #65
    Stridor in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Slime Pit
    Posts
    5,584
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I see the Star Sisters like He-Ro -- a long lost character, rather than previously unknown concept characters. However, unlike He-Ro, the Star Sisters did come out in various media at the time. They have POP magazine appearances and even had a Filmation appearance to legitimize them as actual characters, but their figures didn't make it before the line ended.
    100% correct.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

    MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

  16. #66
    Queer Sorcerer Telkan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Posts
    1,274
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I see the Star Sisters like He-Ro -- a long lost character, rather than previously unknown concept characters. However, unlike He-Ro, the Star Sisters did come out in various media at the time. They have POP magazine appearances and even had a Filmation appearance to legitimize them as actual characters, but their figures didn't make it before the line ended.
    Personally, I don't disagree--I confess to picking bad corollaries there. But, setting that one example aside for the moment, you honestly can't say my other examples are off the mark, can you? If not, then the point stands that the POP fans are, realistically, no more critical or picky than the fans of any other faction.
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

    Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

    Zoar28, Facebook


  17. #67
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    I have 2 of (one regular and one in a modified Captain Glenn tunic).
    Do you have a pic by chance?

  18. #68
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    Personally, I don't disagree--I confess to picking bad corollaries there. But, setting that one example aside for the moment, you honestly can't say my other examples are off the mark, can you? If not, then the point stands that the POP fans are, realistically, no more critical or picky than the fans of any other faction.
    Oh, I agree with that. ALL fans are just as critical as POP fans.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

  19. #69
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,965
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I see the Star Sisters like He-Ro -- a long lost character, rather than previously unknown concept characters. However, unlike He-Ro, the Star Sisters did come out in various media at the time. They have POP magazine appearances and even had a Filmation appearance to legitimize them as actual characters, but their figures didn't make it before the line ended.
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Oh, I agree with that. ALL fans are just as critical as POP fans.
    I agree with everything you said.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  20. #70
    Heroic Warrior KUZEH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,352
    Adora is awesome,
    Who cares what Scott calls her outfit anyways...?
    Seriously people...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

    My Feedback thread!!

  21. #71
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of variants, but an Adora 2.0 is on my short list.

    I've trimmed the front of the one I have and put a repainted Marlena tunic on the other. It works pretty well.

    Disagree.

    I would HATE to see 'the cut of their pants' being a legitimate reason to rerelease characters. Adora is gorgeous as is. TEELA... had a few issues, and between Bobble head and rarity, really SHOULD get a 2.0... but Adora was fine.

    Green Goddess... Roboto... Snout Spout... THESE are the kind of serious issues that I wouldn't throw a fit, if they decided to use an SKU to replace 'correctly'. But seriously... Adora is the poster girl for 'close enough'.


    Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    I know what you guys are saying about variants versus new characters. I too would rather get Glimmer than Battle Ground Whoever, but Teela and Adora really deserve a fix. They are A-list royalties in my book. But so is He-man and seeing how He-man himself won't even get an upgrade, I have little faith in getting a Teela and Adora 2.0 especially now that the line is in jeopardy.


    The red repaint of Marlena's tunic could easily find a home in a new Weapon pack or with any other POP related figure... How about Sea Hawk? .

    1) He-man DID have a remake. Rumor has it that the 1st release had backward shoulders, (Which I never noticed) and he had the Red eye/face thing that I remember everyone being upset about.

    Sooooo Technichley he IS He-man 2.0

    2) I REALY... REALLY do NOT want Sea hawk to show up with his girlfriends empty clothes accessory... That... Just feels distasteful



    Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    * complaints about the hole in She-Ra (1.0)'s head are no different than the complaints about the cracks in Roboto's body (i.e., a display issue);

    * Frosta's face paint is no different from the criticism directed at Faceless One's head sculpt and paint job;

    * Netossa's missing weapons and face-shield--imagine if Man-At-Arms didn't come with all of his armaments or his mace;

    Frosta has more fans than Faceless one did. The PoP fans are more numerous and louder than the 200x fans I only remember a minor annoyance when the FO's hood was purple... but there seemed to be riots when Frosta wasn't painted as well as they'd hoped..

    A better example would have been with Netossa... If Teela didn't come with her sword or Snake armor.

    There would have been some disappointment, But since a LOT of her appearances never included those items it wouldn't have been world ending.




    She-ra's hole vs. Roboto??? That's not even close to being a legitimate comparision. One is a toy that is cracking and breaking due to the misassembled parts... The other is complaining that Mattel only gave us three ways to display a character in every iconic pose... but DIDN'T allow for a fourth From that one scene in that one episode that one time...

    I still 100% support the Hole in the head method on She-ra. I was SO concerned that they would only give us the 'open face' adora tiara since even the comics and advertisement in the 80's seemed to forget that 'She-ra' had a MASK... The tiara was intended to hide her face and I was EXCSTATIC that the 4H remmebered and gave us that look.

    and sure enough, the She-ra 2.0 with clip on does NOT clip on both ways correctly. Soooo 4H were RIGHT to use the Hole.

    Which.. to be honest I think was the issue with Netossa. I keep looking at the hood/mask thing.. and I'm not sure they could have attached and removed it in an effiecient way. And when push comes to shove, Filmation is gonna win...

    But really... comparing a design choice like She'ra's mask... and Roboto cracking... That's apples and oranges.

  22. #72
    Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,946
    real glad Adora was the first figure to start the roll out of POP figures into the line of classics.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

  23. #73
    Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    LOS ANGELES
    Posts
    1,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    But he's the one who's instigating that stereotype. It's simply not true to say that POP fans are "NEVER satisfied with Mattel's efforts" (again, I point you to Bow and She-Ra (2.0)). As far as the other points you made, I suggest the following:

    * complaints about the hole in She-Ra (1.0)'s head are no different than the complaints about the cracks in Roboto's body (i.e., a display issue);

    * criticism about the lack of detail on She-Ra (1.0) is no different from the criticism some (but not me) leveled toward Count Marzo's so-called hyper-detailing;

    * Catra's rubbery hand (which, for many, tore right off when attempting to move it) is no different from the complaints about Snout Spout's cracking trunk;

    * Frosta's face paint is no different from the criticism directed at Faceless One's head sculpt and paint job;

    * She-Ra (1.0) can't sit on Swift Wind--just imagine, for a second, the outcry if He-Man couldn't sit on Battle-Cat;

    * Netossa's missing weapons and face-shield--imagine if Man-At-Arms didn't come with all of his armaments or his mace;

    * the Star Sisters don't count--imagine if the line were nearing its end and the MOTU-only fans had Vy-Krap, Vikor, and Gy-Gor but not Man-At-Arms, Stratos, or Ram-Man.

    As you rightly pointed out, Mattel warrants a lot of the criticism they receive. I stand by my earlier assertion that it's incredibly insulting and disingenuous for Scott to paint POP fans as being pickier than the fans of any other faction, when our criticisms are honestly no different from the critiques made by others about non-POP characters.

    Thank you. I mean, really, is there ANYONE who doesn't complain on He-man.org?
    We all have specific demands / needs. That what makes us who we are. Sometimes it goes way too far. But everyone has their own thing.

    As for those of you who still say 'Sorry I don't see the granny pants'... It's time to have your eyes checked. Seriously.
    It's one thing to say 'It's true that it looks NOTHING like the cartoon but I don't mind it'.
    It's something else to see 'I don't see it'. After all the photos that have been posted over the years! If noone SAW IT, then why did the Four Horsemen corrected the issue on Marlena?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Disagree.

    I still 100% support the Hole in the head method on She-ra. I was SO concerned that they would only give us the 'open face' adora tiara since even the comics and advertisement in the 80's seemed to forget that 'She-ra' had a MASK... The tiara was intended to hide her face and I was EXCSTATIC that the 4H remmebered and gave us that look.

    and sure enough, the She-ra 2.0 with clip on does NOT clip on both ways correctly. Soooo 4H were RIGHT to use the Hole.
    Really?


    REALLY?


    What you're saying is that basically, thanks to having the character disfigured, you were glad to be able to turn the mask upside down.
    I thought it was a cool idea too to have the mask in both positions but there's a hundred different toylines out there that found better ways to deal with masks other than leaving a big hole at the middle of the character's face! There are magnets - which Mattel used for Swift Wind's mask, by the way) which work great. There are peg holes hidden underneath rubbery hair etc. etc. Or they could have given her two tiaras!

    What's hard to believe for me is that 30 years later, a 'Collector' figure is less poseable than its vintage counter part.
    And She-ra did NOT have a hole in her forehead back in the 80's and you could still transform her both ways.
    (And Teela could sit down and twist at the waist!)
    I know you'll say it's because of the rooted hair thing but that's not true. There's ALWAYS a better way to attach a mask. Swiftwind is a perfect example of that.

    As for putting it upside down, it's VERY easy on BP She-ra to put the mask upside down.It's not designed to hold very well but it still works!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

  24. #74
    Heroic Warrior Tzadkiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    296
    She-Ra 1.0's mask looks *way* better than 2.0's. Personally I'm happy with the way they did it (I also have no intention of displaying her without her mask/tiara, so the hole isn't an issue).

    Edit: On a related note, I would love for them to release something She-Ra related with the Golden Books mask/tiara.
    Last edited by Tzadkiel; August 21, 2012 at 04:14pm.

  25. #75
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Disagree.

    I would HATE to see 'the cut of their pants' being a legitimate reason to rerelease characters. Adora is gorgeous as is. TEELA... had a few issues, and between Bobble head and rarity, really SHOULD get a 2.0... but Adora was fine.

    Green Goddess... Roboto... Snout Spout... THESE are the kind of serious issues that I wouldn't throw a fit, if they decided to use an SKU to replace 'correctly'. But seriously... Adora is the poster girl for 'close enough'.
    I would love a Teela 2.0 with toy outfit, but as for Adora, they can give her Force Captain garb, the updated outfit, and her style guide head (identical in the front to Adora but with She-Ra's hair length in the back). Folks who don't like She-Ra's hair with the headdress off can use this head instead.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzadkiel View Post
    She-Ra 1.0's mask looks *way* better than 2.0's.
    WOW...really?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    Also in a recent Q & A, Toyguru said that a modified, upgraded pelvis part for the female buck would appear on the next female after Frosta.
    That would be Netossa, and she is NOT getting the fixed pelvis. Thanks Matty!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •