Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Director's Commentary #19: Adora. Princess, Sister, Role Model

Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    WOW...really?
    Absolutely. I think this post illustrates the difference quite well: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=1#post3102567

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzadkiel View Post
    Absolutely. I think this post illustrates the difference quite well: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=1#post3102567
    Perhaps as a mask (those pictures actually looked great!), but absolutely not as a tiara, which is the preferred method of wearing the headpiece for many.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Frosta has more fans than Faceless one did. The PoP fans are more numerous and louder than the 200x fans I only remember a minor annoyance when the FO's hood was purple... but there seemed to be riots when Frosta wasn't painted as well as they'd hoped..

A better example would have been with Netossa... If Teela didn't come with her sword or Snake armor.

There would have been some disappointment, But since a LOT of her appearances never included those items it wouldn't have been world ending.
    Personally speaking, I think 200X fans are just as loud and notorious as POP fans, given the entire time period of MOTUC. Sometimes 200X fans are very outspoken, other times it's the POP fans. Battleground Evil-Lyn was the last really bad 200X reaction, besides Snake Man-At-Arms, but that was moreso from EVERYONE'S disappointment.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Picky PoP fans, eh? MegaGearMax pointed out that all the things we have been "picky" about, are things that Mattel themselves pretty much dropped the ball on themselves.
    But hey, our pickyness resulted in the She-Ra sword being released in proper two-tone colors in a Weapons Pak, them fixing whatever the trouble was with the wings on Swift Wind so that they would work properly on the Griffin, the release outside the sub and subsequent selling out of the amazeballs Bubble Power She-Ra variant figure, heck- the "invention" of female MOTUC action figures that can turn at the waist could be credited to "picky" POPers who were disappointed by Teela, Evil-Lyn, She-Ra, and Catra all not being able to turn at the waist.
    If they would just do things right the first time, we wouldn't have to get "picky" about anything, and they wouldn't have to waste their time and resources correcting their mistakes in future releases. Oh snap!

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Fans of POP tend to be some of the most, dare I say, picky, often only counting a figure as “POP” if she (he) was a member of the Great Rebellion and had a vintage toy. Under this extremely narrow vision, characters like Catra (who was in Wave 1 of POP in 1985) or even Star Sisters (who were in the TV series and had proto toys made) don’t “count.” I respectfully disagree. POP in my mind covers anyone who was in the vintage show or toy line. Catra is just as much POP as Adora, and both characters need to be considered when looking at the total number of POP figures we have done and continue to do.
    Yeah, I've seen so many people complaining that Catra wasn't a POP figure. And why they don't get that Straw Man wasn't a core vintage character, I'll never know.

Just wanted to jump in and say that I'm a huge fan of both NA and POP and think they are both disproportionately under represented in this line. When I look at a list of previously released POP figures (minus the variants) and throw in Octavia and Scorpia (two awesome fan-demanded Horde figures) and maybe even Sea Hawk and Madame Razz, the list of reasonable and vintage POP goes up to about 15 (if Loo-kee and Kowl are considered pack-ins.) That's a lot of unmade potential right there for a line that might not last more than another two years. That's hugely disappointing. I fully expect to get at least Scorpia or Octavia this year and maybe 2 at most Great Rebellion in 2014 but that's still not balanced. Yet. :o

Oh and I thought Adora turned out pretty amazing...
    Last edited by yeahthatsme1973; August 21, 2012 at 06:45pm.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

As for that whole picky part about who counts as what (whether Scorpia is PoP or Filmation, blah blah blah), I guess I've never really cared much about that whole side of things. My picky points are about sculpt details, accessories, paint apps... not exactly who fits exactly into which faction.
    In 2012/2013, I'm mostly just annoyed that we don't have more of the PoP/Filmation/TGR/Horde members that I've been waiting for: since this line was announced I've been waiting for Double Trouble, Entrapta, Netossa, Peekablue, Castaspella, Frosta, and a toy-accurate Catra. Only since Filmation rights were announced have I been waiting for Scorpia and Octavia, as I always assumed those two were a no-go from the get-go. So my wait for them has been shorter. So, thus far from my highly-anticipated list I've only gotten Frosta (and even at that she's still a few months down the road from now) and Netossa- who for a while there I wasn't even sure we were going to get at all when the sub sales for '13 looked down and out. It's been a lonnnnnng wait. The only thing that makes it easier is looking at NA representation in MOTUC and thinking "Well, those fans have it far worse..." LOL.

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Green Goddess... Roboto... Snout Spout... THESE are the kind of serious issues that I wouldn't throw a fit, if they decided to use an SKU to replace 'correctly'. But seriously... Adora is the poster girl for 'close enough'.
    Respectfully, that's your opinion but everyone doesn't agree. Personally, I agree with you on Adora being fine, but I also think calling Roboto and Snout Spout's issues 'serious' in the same breath that you dismiss other fans' concerns about Adora as, by extension, 'not serious' is unfair. When you get right down to it, that's no different than telling another collector that backwards shoulders aren't a big deal, or the number of snakes on King Hsss' body aren't a big deal--sure, you or I may not agree with those stances, but (per the .Org's rules) it's not our place to downplay another collector's concerns either.

Frosta has more fans than Faceless one did. The PoP fans are more numerous and louder than the 200x fans I only remember a minor annoyance when the FO's hood was purple... but there seemed to be riots when Frosta wasn't painted as well as they'd hoped..
    Clearly, you and I remember both the Faceless One and Frosta debacles quite differently:

Even the 4H and Scott expressed varying degrees of dissatisfaction with FO's appearance leading up to the actual release (hence the multiple sculpts and shading effects that were attempted). Furthermore, the POP fans may be more numerous than the 200X fans--I don't disagree, though I also think there's a fair amount of crossover that you're not taking into consideration--but that doesn't mean the outcry at the time FO came out wasn't just as loud: many 200X fans and non-200X fans were disappointed.

Secondly, I would hardly call the reaction to Frosta's reveal as 'riotous'--that's as unnecessarily hyperbolic and ridiculous a statement as Scott's assessment of the POP fans. Were people upset about her initial appearance? Sure. But as soon as Scott (or the 4H? I forget who it was now) clarified that the face was in-progress--a clarification that was made with the week of the reveal--the entire tone of conversation changed to one of enthusiastic excitement because people were hoping it would look like Eamon's mock-up. There were no riots.

As I said before, I think you and I are remembering the events leading up to FO and Frosta very differently.

A better example would have been with Netossa... If Teela didn't come with her sword or Snake armor.

There would have been some disappointment, But since a LOT of her appearances never included those items it wouldn't have been world ending.
    Perhaps as it relates to Netossa's sword, but not her face-shield. With the exception of her Filmation appearance, Netossa has worn her face-shield in every incarnation, similar to Man-At-Arms with his armaments. And, again, you're blowing the response out of proportion by implying that there are POP fans claiming that her lack of these accessories is the end of the world. Are people upset by the fact that Netossa's lost two of her accessories, while Jitsu is coming with a sword and two scythes (which he can only hold one weapon at a time)? Yes. But no one's jumping off a roof over it.

She-ra's hole vs. Roboto??? That's not even close to being a legitimate comparision. One is a toy that is cracking and breaking due to the misassembled parts... The other is complaining that Mattel only gave us three ways to display a character in every iconic pose... but DIDN'T allow for a fourth From that one scene in that one episode that one time...
    For you, perhaps, but it's a legitimate concern to myself and many others. As someone whose Roboto is just fine--no cracks whatsoever--I'm far more concerned with a She-Ra that has a gaping hole in her head.
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    As for those of you who still say 'Sorry I don't see the granny pants'... It's time to have your eyes checked. Seriously.
    Exactly. Adora is so obviously in a leotard-type outfit in the cartoon & NOT as a toy. I didn't buy her because that toy looked like it had crapped itself.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Snappy Threader
    Well, I read TG's blog and the posts here. My opinion, and it's just an opinion, Adora looks great to me. Granted, I don't play with the figures like I did when I was a child. My sons play with them some, but at their age they aren't looking for Adora to be in a thong or something sexy. The figure looks great in the package and on the shelf. I think that unless you are bending her over and looking at her butt or up her skirt (come on, we all know we used to do that with Princess Leia or our sister's Barbies back in the day ha!) then she is just fine. Sure articulation is hampered, especially if you want to use her in a pose with a de-winged Swift Wind or if they ever come out with a Spirit, but the figure looks amazing to me. I'm just not real sure how they could have done her any other way than maybe how they did Bubble Power She-Ra with the slit skirt. Great blog once again.

My problem with Adora's outfit isn't so much the "tunic vs swimsuit" issue and moreso that the road they DID take could have used a little... wait for it... detail. The part below the belt is just sort of shapeless and "there". If it had more of a "V" shape, or if there were ridges detailed on the bottom to make it look more like a skirt or... I'm not sure how to explain it properly... SOMETHING down there... it wouldn't look like dumpy granny panty style. See, I'm not of the mind that she had to look 100% like she stepped out of the cartoon. If some creative liberty were taken and the end result was "damn that looks cool!" I would have been super satisfied. I love the MOTUC Adora figure and have gotten used to the "granny panty" and lo and behold- it hasn't happened to anyone else since. But to look at the figure and say "I don't really see it..." to me just sounds a bit strange. But, I'd rather she have granny panty than that huge gap in the crotch syndrome which is the fate that befell poor Tallstar.
    My wish is to see a new Adora figure as a variant: Horde Force Captain Adora. A figure that would take some liberties and put Adora in the improved "tunic" that Captain Glenn used, with a swap-out-able Horde insignia (I know she didn't have one in the cartoon, but it would stand to reason that she would have to have been sporting a Horde emblem back in her early days!), a removable Horde armband, and a couple of new weapons (a new Horde crossbow sized for females to hold, which they could then reuse for Scorpia, Double Trouble, another Catra, etc). Variants seem to be going the way of the dodo, but a Horde Adora is something I would love to buy. And the bonus would be being able to remove all the Horde stuff and having a basic Adora underneath sans granny panty.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Disagree.

I would HATE to see 'the cut of their pants' being a legitimate reason to rerelease characters. Adora is gorgeous as is. TEELA... had a few issues, and between Bobble head and rarity, really SHOULD get a 2.0... but Adora was fine.

Green Goddess... Roboto... Snout Spout... THESE are the kind of serious issues that I wouldn't throw a fit, if they decided to use an SKU to replace 'correctly'. But seriously... Adora is the poster girl for 'close enough'.
    I love the idea of the "Force Captain" variant adding various removable Horde details to her. That would be a pretty cool display option. Adora's one of my favorite characters so I would love to see this, but given the current state of things it is unlikely, and honestly I would pick a brand new character over a Adora 2.0 or any variant at this point. The versions I have are "good enough" because I did some custom work on them to make the skirt look more like a leotard bottom (very nervous custom work because these are expensive figures!).

My issue is that she ends up looking strange because of the way she was executed. Her "tunic" bottom or whatever the heck it is said to be ends up being a bad looking skirt AND not looking good compared to what we saw in the show. It may be "good enough" for some but I would raise an eyebrow at anyone who looked at her outfit from the show and then looked at the figure and said "Nailed it!!!".

Do you have a pic by chance?
    I do, I started a thread a while back when I made her in the custom figure forum, however I recently revisited her and made a few changes. I'll snap a picture and resurrect the thread
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Heroic Warrior
    I love my Adora action figure. And I think she was a great way to "launch" POP/The Great Rebellion in MOTUC.

I do think it is extremely clear that Adora wears a leotard, much like Teela, but that the leotard was "translated" into a short skirt/tunic in MOTUC given that the "diaper" tool wasn't created until the Star Sisters (or did another female have it first).

The general tone of this commentary was a little disturbing. Yes, POP/The Great Rebellion fans are opinionated and vocal, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing provided that they're respectful. Dismissing vintage POP as only a "handful" of figures however does seem disrespectful, particularly when out of that "handful" of figures so have so very few on our shelves. And that's ignoring all the Filmation-only POP/TGR characters and any other concept/proto-type characters (although I'm not a huge fan of the latter).

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    Interesting read. I'm glad Scott is putting these out again. I'm fine with Adora's look. I think she is awesome. I do agree that she wears a leotard, not a tunic.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Exactly. Adora is so obviously in a leotard-type outfit in the cartoon & NOT as a toy. I didn't buy her because that toy looked like it had crapped itself.
    LOL. Still laughing and snorting and laughing. Best post of the day! I bought three adoras, ruined the first one then trimmed the second one in a good way. It's not great, but at least, it doesn't look like she soiled herself!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    I'm just not real sure how they could have done her any other way than maybe how they did Bubble Power She-Ra with the slit skirt. Great blog once again.
    Think again!
    Is it too unreasonnable to expect from an action figure made in circa 2012 to actually be able to sit? Or twist at the waist?
    All they had to do was what everyone expected them to do straight away- Have a female buck with a twist waist and a two part costumes, just like their male counterparts.

I remember downloading the photos of the first ever Teela Prototype (done in grey, unpainted plastic). And I remember looking at the pics thinking 'hang on, where is the waist cut? Is that a solid one piece dress that she's wearing? What happened to the super poseability of the line? Is that what they're going to do with every female figure? that's so backwards!' (and also, after looking at her derrière: "Why hasn't got anything there?)

I can't think of ANY other toyline featuring female figures that basically show your their pants when you try to twist them at the waist. Try with Adora. Turn her hips and she'll lose all dignity! It's not the end of the world; sure. Especially for those who leave the toys in their package. And yes, Adora's face is gorgeous (save for the slightly manly, thick black eyebrows) .

I just never understood why it was such a problem to have visible hip joints. No one cried over King Hiss having visible hip joints. Or over EVERY FIGURE having visible shoulder joints! What's the difference? I would have prefered visible ball joints at the hips over these annoying, thick plastic dresses that basically ruin the poseability of the figure.

And I don't even want to hear 'oh but females are supposed to be sexy and it takes away from their sexiness' cause that's basically toy sexism! Go buy a CS Moore Lady Demon your cads! Just kiddin'.
    Last edited by oulala; August 22, 2012 at 12:19am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Heroic Warrior
    It's not exactly unprecedented for female figures to have less articulation. Not just with Mattel, with any company.

Heroic Warrior
    Really?

REALLY?

What you're saying is that basically, thanks to having the character disfigured, you were glad to be able to turn the mask upside down.

I thought it was a cool idea too to have the mask in both positions but there's a hundred different toylines out there that found better ways to deal with masks other than leaving a big hole at the middle of the character's face! There are magnets - which Mattel used for Swift Wind's mask, by the way) which work great. There are peg holes hidden underneath rubbery hair etc. etc. Or they could have given her two tiaras!

What's hard to believe for me is that 30 years later, a 'Collector' figure is less poseable than its vintage counter part.

And She-ra did NOT have a hole in her forehead back in the 80's and you could still transform her both ways.
    (And Teela could sit down and twist at the waist!)
    I know you'll say it's because of the rooted hair thing but that's not true. There's ALWAYS a better way to attach a mask. Swiftwind is a perfect example of that.

As for putting it upside down, it's VERY easy on BP She-ra to put the mask upside down.It's not designed to hold very well but it still works!
    YEP... that was definitely a rooted hair situation. If you remember correctly THAT mask had huge slits on the side (I THINK it the mask could be used as a kid ring... ) and was DRASTICALLY unsightly. I don't have swift wind, but I doubt VERY much that a 'magnet' would actually hold the mask on She-ra.. And the 'clip on' ones I've heard and seen videos... don't seem to stay on too well with actual 'play'.

Sooooooo pretty much all those solutions are fails all around.

Perhaps as a mask (those pictures actually looked great!), but absolutely not as a tiara, which is the preferred method of wearing the headpiece for many.
    Yep! As the Mask the original one worked better. the 2.0 was NOT designed to stay on her head that way, and while some people can 'get it to work' it doesn't look right and won't stay if you move the figure around much.

Fact is... Calling She-ra 1.0 'disfigured' is crazy talk. That's like saying Trap Jaw is garbage... his Right arm has that hole slot in his shoulder cavity that is totally unrealistic and displays terrible.

No..... He has TWO arms, and your meant to PICK one.

She-ra 1.0 had THREE ways to display. Filmation. mask down, Tiara up. Off the top of my head I can't think of ANY other figure who was designed with three display options except Vikor.

The fans complained that she didn't have FOUR display options.

Especially since Adora had already been released for those who wanted a pure face...

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Personally speaking, I think 200X fans are just as loud and notorious as POP fans, given the entire time period of MOTUC. Sometimes 200X fans are very outspoken, other times it's the POP fans. Battleground Evil-Lyn was the last really bad 200X reaction, besides Snake Man-At-Arms, but that was moreso from EVERYONE'S disappointment.
    YEAH.... Battle Ground Evil-lyn was practically a riot, And frankly I consider THAT one justified... The figure you got was NOT a vintage figure... it was NOT a 200x figure... and it was NOT filmation. IT wasn't really any kind of hybrid...

It was it's own thing, and after years of asking for a varient... then getting one that WASN'T asked for... i can understand that riot

Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    Respectfully, that's your opinion but everyone doesn't agree. Personally, I agree with you on Adora being fine, but I also think calling Roboto and Snout Spout's issues 'serious' in the same breath that you dismiss other fans' concerns about Adora as, by extension, 'not serious' is unfair. When you get right down to it, that's no different than telling another collector that backwards shoulders aren't a big deal, or the number of snakes on King Hsss' body aren't a big deal--sure, you or I may not agree with those stances, but (per the .Org's rules) it's not our place to downplay another collector's concerns either. .

Adora was a 'design choice' that people didn't agree with. Correction 'some' people didn't like, others were just giddy to actually GET her...

Snout spout, Roboto and Green Goddess are officially 'Broken' and many are broken MOC... I see them as completely different issues. Considering the 'All in/sub only' mission statement of MOTUC, it's every one's DUTY to make it a line that EVERYONE would want to buy.

Fixing BROKEN figures I could begrudginly agree to sub for... Rereleasing characters like Adora with a slightly different outfit cut, is WAYYYYYYY too close to Smash Blade/Snake MAA 1.0 debackle.

I simply do NOT want to pay $30+ for something that is fine on my shelf as is.

If they ever start up 2nd runs and out of sub things again... I'll be all for any figure they want to make

Clearly, you and I remember both the Faceless One and Frosta debacles quite differently:

Even the 4H and Scott expressed varying degrees of dissatisfaction with FO's appearance leading up to the actual release (hence the multiple sculpts and shading effects that were attempted). Furthermore, the POP fans may be more numerous than the 200X fans--I don't disagree, though I also think there's a fair amount of crossover that you're not taking into consideration--but that doesn't mean the outcry at the time FO came out wasn't just as loud: many 200X fans and non-200X fans were disappointed.

Secondly, I would hardly call the reaction to Frosta's reveal as 'riotous'--that's as unnecessarily hyperbolic and ridiculous a statement as Scott's assessment of the POP fans. Were people upset about her initial appearance? Sure. But as soon as Scott (or the 4H? I forget who it was now) clarified that the face was in-progress--a clarification that was made with the week of the reveal--the entire tone of conversation changed to one of enthusiastic excitement because people were hoping it would look like Eamon's mock-up. There were no riots.

As I said before, I think you and I are remembering the events leading up to FO and Frosta very differently. .
    I may be remembering it a bit off. Frankly I was fine with Frosta's face the first time.. I like the newer one better! but I was just happy to get a frosta

With Faceless one... I remember a LOT of complaining about the SCULPT. That he wasn't 'faceless' enough for a lot of people... (even after 200x fans posted screen shots of the show that looked PRETTY spot on...)

But the color of the hood back there? I really don't remember much complaining about that.

For you, perhaps, but it's a legitimate concern to myself and many others. As someone whose Roboto is just fine--no cracks whatsoever--I'm far more concerned with a She-Ra that has a gaping hole in her head.
    She doesn't.

She has a mask

Fact is... Calling She-ra 1.0 'disfigured' is crazy talk. That's like saying Trap Jaw is garbage... his Right arm has that hole slot in his shoulder cavity that is totally unrealistic and displays terrible.

She-ra 1.0 had THREE ways to display. Filmation. mask down, Tiara up. Off the top of my head I can't think of ANY other figure who was designed with three display options except Vikor.

Especially since Adora had already been released for those who wanted a pure face...

I think Adora is perfect. I don't see the granny panty thing at all. I saw it as a skirt/tunic hybrid myself and I figured it was to distinguish her slightly from the Filmation version and add a modern twist on the very 80's leotard style. This is MOTU, not Cats or Flashdance after all She's easily one of my favorite characters in the line and I'm very happy to have her.

Phantom, I totally agree with you about She-ra....not disfigured, properly functional. I don't really understand why anyone would want to display She-ra without a tiara anyway....Filmation style or Toy Style.....if she was walking around without one wouldn't people say "Hey Adora, what's up".....Then again her Filmation tiara doesn't really change her look....and Adam/He-man could be twins too.....Eternians and Etherians don't really pay much attention to detail....but I digress......She-ra never has a "naked" head so why bother. Adora has a BEAUTIFUL face sculpt....I guess the fourth option would be Adora's head on the She-ra body. On the positive, the new female buck came out of it......which should have been the original anyway but at least we have it now!

Good commentary though, I enjoyed it!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I don't really understand why anyone would want to display She-ra without a tiara anyway....Filmation style or Toy Style.....if she was walking around without one wouldn't people say "Hey Adora, what's up".....Then again her Filmation tiara doesn't really change her look....and Adam/He-man could be twins too.....Eternians and Etherians don't really pay much attention to detail....but I digress......She-ra never has a "naked" head so why bother.
    In quite a few PoP stories, Adora is She-Ra without her mask. When she wears it, she's She-Ra. This is in about 1/2 of the PoP mini-comics and a few different story books. It's a very nice nod to the vintage toy (which could be displayed like that) and THIS specifically is what most people wanted:

I SO wish we got that She-Ra! I actually bought an "Adora wig" so I can re-create what AlessandraF did there. SO beautiful!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    It's not exactly unprecedented for female figures to have less articulation. Not just with Mattel, with any company.
    Exactly, and I'm actually glad for it.

Joint articulation is geared toward the male form, and then is haphazardly applied to the female like they should be the same. Joints, even on female bucks, are generally designed to move like the male anatomy (which is why it can be hard to get more "feminine" stances sometimes).

Personally, I'm for a little less articulation when it comes to the females if it interferes with the overall look of the figure. Evil-Lyn and Teela do okay because of their upper-arm bracers, but I think the open flesh of a She-ra or Starla looks a little odd with that many arm joints. In their case, the articulation is a toss up between movement and look - neither one is a perfect choice to me.

I can name one I would have changed - Shadow Weaver. I just see no huge reason to have her lower body articulation - she can only move a few degrees anyway, and I can't think of too many poses one would want where she is half bent over. I would have left it with just the waist and arms. It was a lot more doticable on the prototype - the darker colors of the final figure don't make the joint stand out as much, but I still would have preferred a smooth look over cutting up her crotch for such limited movement anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    I love the idea of the "Force Captain" variant adding various removable Horde details to her.
    Now that I could get behind. In spite of the limited slots these days, I would really enjoy a true Force Captain Adora variant.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    You spend that much time looking at the backside of the figure to have that be a decision maker? Your choice is your choice...just curious if you display them backwards or something.

As to the backside, in person the figure appears as a tunic. She clearly has underwear underneath.

What I find interesting about this complaint in general is that if they had done as they did with Teela and Evil-lyn, people would have complained that she looked too much like them. It also looks a lot different when you take away the hanging decoration - without them, the Evil-Lyn/Teela tunic looks quite odd. In fact, I remember discovering that the bottoms were not fully attached on both sides and thinking how odd it looked, glad you couldn't tell from the front. But if that decorative piece wasn't there over the crotch, you could.

Mine definitely looks like a tunic; if one were really concerned, they could soften the plastic on the back and pull it back even further to really make sure there was no question. That said, I feel no need to do that - it looks great to me, and I usually have her facing forward anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    In quite a few PoP stories, Adora is She-Ra without her mask. When she wears it, she's She-Ra. This is in about 1/2 of the PoP mini-comics and a few different story books. It's a very nice nod to the vintage toy (which could be displayed like that) and THIS specifically is what most people wanted:
    Some...

That said, it's great for everyone that we finally got a head with long She-ra hair and the ability to remove the mask with BP She-Ra.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    YEP... that was definitely a rooted hair situation. If you remember correctly THAT mask had huge slits on the side (I THINK it the mask could be used as a kid ring... ) and was DRASTICALLY unsightly. I don't have swift wind, but I doubt VERY much that a 'magnet' would actually hold the mask on She-ra.. And the 'clip on' ones I've heard and seen videos... don't seem to stay on too well with actual 'play'.

Sooooooo pretty much all those solutions are fails all around.

Yep! As the Mask the original one worked better. the 2.0 was NOT designed to stay on her head that way, and while some people can 'get it to work' it doesn't look right and won't stay if you move the figure around much.

YEAH.... Battle Ground Evil-lyn was practically a riot, And frankly I consider THAT one justified... The figure you got was NOT a vintage figure... it was NOT a 200x figure... and it was NOT filmation. IT wasn't really any kind of hybrid...

It was it's own thing, and after years of asking for a varient... then getting one that WASN'T asked for... i can understand that riot

Adora was a 'design choice' that people didn't agree with. Correction 'some' people didn't like, others were just giddy to actually GET her...

Snout spout, Roboto and Green Goddess are officially 'Broken' and many are broken MOC... I see them as completely different issues. Considering the 'All in/sub only' mission statement of MOTUC, it's every one's DUTY to make it a line that EVERYONE would want to buy.

Fixing BROKEN figures I could begrudginly agree to sub for... Rereleasing characters like Adora with a slightly different outfit cut, is WAYYYYYYY too close to Smash Blade/Snake MAA 1.0 debackle.

I simply do NOT want to pay $30+ for something that is fine on my shelf as is.

If they ever start up 2nd runs and out of sub things again... I'll be all for any figure they want to make

I may be remembering it a bit off. Frankly I was fine with Frosta's face the first time.. I like the newer one better! but I was just happy to get a frosta

With Faceless one... I remember a LOT of complaining about the SCULPT. That he wasn't 'faceless' enough for a lot of people... (even after 200x fans posted screen shots of the show that looked PRETTY spot on...)

But the color of the hood back there? I really don't remember much complaining about that.

She doesn't.

She has a mask

Trap Jaw is supposed to be a cyborg. In the diegetic world of the story, he does have at some point a missing arm that gets replaced by a robot arm. The arm being removeable is justified by the story.

I'd like you to point out to us in what comic / cartoon episode / media She-ra appears with a hole in her head.
    Therefore, your comparison does not work.

The hole in She-ra's forehead is essentially non-diegetic i.e. it has no justification in the story of MOTUC. It's a functionnal element that's only there because design wise they failed to find a better way to have the mask stay on.

I appreciate the fact that Mattel tried to give us an extra feature by having two ways of displaying the mask. I really do. Just like the sorceress when, instead of doing a straightforward pair of wings, they went for a more complicated design to try something cool. (I was one of the only ones here to voice my appreciation for trying).

But you can't possibly look at that head and tell me this is the best solution they could have found in terms of design. I'm not talking about our own taste / distaste of things. I'm merely talking about Design as a discipline, an art, with a capital "D". Think about a class of Design students. Today, class, we need to find a way to have that action figure's mask stick to the figure's head...

The gaping hole is a poor design. "D-". End of the story. You can find whatever excuses for the "student" who came up with that one (rooted hair... too expensive to have magnets... etc.) it won't deter from the fact that they are better solutions out there.

You say you have seen "videos of toys with masks that don't stay on when you play with the figures. " While I'm impressed you can deduce that just from watching a video, I can tell you with absolute certainty that there are many toys out there that indeed have better design and that work very well. Bandai's Myth Cloth toyline has crowns, vac metal masks and various attachments that stays perfectly on the character's head (looking at my Marin figure on my desk). The way they do it quite clever. You basically change only one portion of the hair (the front part) that connects with the rest. I also have a few Doctor Dooms that have brilliant designs in terms of masks.

As for Swift Wind, too bad you don't own it. I'm surprised how it received little appraisal here but the road they took for the helmet to stick to the forehead without any peg is absolutely brilliant. You can't see the magnet (inside the plastic) which allows you to display the horse as Swifty AND as Adora's horse. No unsightly holes or pegs.

hence my final argument: if they could figure it out for Swiftwind AND for Catra, and later on for Bubble Power She-ra, it means that NO, the hole-in-the-head was NOT the only solution they could have found. I'm happy Mattel listened to us and improved their designs.

But we agree on Frosta: I loved the original prototype. Sure, it was a little rough around the edges, but I actually liked it better than the last one we saw at the SDCC. The prototype had that very different face that made her 'POP' compared to all the other female figures in the line that are sometimes a little too similar. (Marlena' s poneytail head looks a lot like Teela) .
    I hope they tweak Frosta's final toy and give her fuller lip paint and that half crazed stalker look that I really liked!
    Last edited by oulala; August 22, 2012 at 12:30pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Oh the toy definitely looms like a tunic. I think the point that many of us are trying to make is that a tunic is NOT what she wore in the show, so it is not really accurate in that regard. Of course the toy is a tunic. Imagine if She-Ra was released wearing blue jeans instead of her skirt, it wouldn't be accurate to the show. Ultimately the "skirt/tunic" was a design choice they made that just didn't turn out all that well. It worked for Teela and Evil-Lyn, but not so well for Adora.

Some people may be fine with how she looks. And I don't hate her, she's one of my favorites . I did trim, bend and glue my "skirt" though to make it look more like a leotard bottom though. There's nothing wrong with people who like her "as is", not at all. I will give you a weird look though if you tell me that you are fine with it AND that it looks 100% accurate to the show
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

It seems like no matter whom we make from the POP faction, fans and customers continue to feel like we missed someone or have not gotten to someone who “should have had a figure by now”.
    Seriously? Perhaps that's because four years into the line "you've" barely made any POP Classics figures and Angella, Castaspella, Glimmer, Kowl and even Loo-Kee are major vintage toy characters who haven't had a MOTUC toy.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    Some...

That said, it's great for everyone that we finally got a head with long She-ra hair and the ability to remove the mask with BP She-Ra.
    I mean most, as in "Most people who wanted to display She-Ra without her tiara, wanted her to have the Adora bangs as pictured above."
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I would have prefered visible ball joints at the hips over these annoying, thick plastic dresses that basically ruin the poseability of the figure.
    Gah please no on ball joints! I recently found Hope Summers from the Marvel Legends line at target. She looked GREAT from the head down to her legs, but the ball joints they used for her hips/legs looks TERIBBLE. Now granted that maybe the 4 Horsemen could do a better job. I just couldn't believe how bad Hope looked. of course marvel legends has always struggled with female figures.