Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a MOTUC BIONATOPS!

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar

Building a MOTUC BIONATOPS!

Look what showed up at my doorstep today...

Now it's time to start customizing !!!
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; August 25, 2012 at 04:20pm.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

i personally think the scale is perfect! my only nit pick is the angle of the head.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Is that from TRU? Looks really cool? How much $$$$ if I may ask Dragonblaster?

Thanks for sharing. And awesome find!
    Sale/Trade//Feedback//MOTU Customs// MOTUC Albums//MOTU Fans Puerto Rico Chapter

I got lazy...So here is a link to my NON MOTU Collection!
    Collection and NON MOTU Customs

XBOX ONE Gamertag: Avenger12PR
    PSN: Avenger12PR

Oh wow... and to think I got rid of my Battle Cat because he was 'too big' to fit on my toy shelves...
    Look at the size of that thing!!! I really envy you. It's AWESOME! And perfect!!
    Can't wait to see how this will look once customized.

looks really nice.

Thank you guys - he sure is one massive beast! Can't wait to start working on him!

Quote Originally Posted by He Man 12 View Post
    Is that from TRU? Looks really cool? How much $$$$ if I may ask Dragonblaster?

Thanks for sharing. And awesome find!
    Nope got it from an online shop - I doubt TRU would sell these. I was able to get mine for 108 Euro (about 133 USD) including shipping from UK. So he's not cheap at all. But at that size... totally worth it!
    Just search for the 1:15 scale Triceratops by CollectA.

Heroic Warrior
    Amazing! What a great fit. Too bad it's so expensive.

Snappy Threader
    Dragonblaster, what do you have in mind plan wise? I am very curious to know. Just paint? Or will you try to cut and articulate? He looks awesome I must say. I can't wait to see your plan and finished product.

the sculpt is amazing.
    go for it!
    WISHLIST: Green and Purple Mask of Power demons, Blastar, Panther/Cat Men, Peekablue, Prince Dakon, Rotar, Twistoid, Kayo, Vizar, Lizorr, Sagitar, Quakke, Mara (prototype), Garth, Blackbeard, Gleedal, Gargons, Garn (mini-comic), Hawke, Fang-or, Great Black Wizard, Red Stripe, Granita, Brainwave, Contractor

I think that you found an amazing dino, size is perfect! I can't wait until your done customizing to see (WHAT IM SURE WILL BE GREAT) how it comes out. I am a little curious if you plan on doing all the bionics and electronics as well as articulation and weapontry? I hope all goes great and happy go crazy customizing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SGT. ROCK View Post
    Amazing! What a great fit. Too bad it's so expensive.
    Yea too high for me too...

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    Dragonblaster, what do you have in mind plan wise? I am very curious to know. Just paint? Or will you try to cut and articulate? He looks awesome I must say. I can't wait to see your plan and finished product.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelAschamp View Post
    I think that you found an amazing dino, size is perfect! I can't wait until your done customizing to see (WHAT IM SURE WILL BE GREAT) how it comes out. I am a little curious if you plan on doing all the bionics and electronics as well as articulation and weapontry? I hope all goes great and happy go crazy customizing!!!!
    Thanks guys!
    My Bionatops will be mostly based on the most recent version seen in the MOTUC Mini Comics (plus some nods to the toy and some own ideas).

I'm going to:
    - sculpt armoured bionic legs and some technical details onto the dinosaur

-add artillery to his head, back and maybe even some smaller ones on his legs (I'm thinking about using strong magnets to attach the weaponry - so it'll stay interchangeable and moveable) I already have some BFG's but if you could recommend something go for it!

- repaint the beast!

Since the Trike is a rotocast (still pretty heavy and pretty rigid) adding articulation wouldn't be easy. But to be honest - at that size I'm actually glad the legs aren't articulated. While articulation in the legs like with Battle Cat can be awesome you won't like posing something this large. A neck joint would be nice, but as his head also is used as a saddle the weigt might always pull it down.
    And in the end I really like the pose - so no joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Delthaindia View Post
    the sculpt is amazing.
    go for it!
    I will, thank you
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; August 22, 2012 at 01:48am.

magnets are a fantastic idea.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

A very first WIP pic:

More tech details will be added and the Blasters on his head will mounted detachable/exchangeable turrets. He'll also get anti-aircraft warfare on his back like in the second mini comic.
    I already found a suitable cannon (the big one in the front):

Do you know others I could use?
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; August 25, 2012 at 04:20pm.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Wow this is going to look great! Can't wait to see it!

I'll do some digging and see if I can find any guns that would work
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Heroic Journalist MldMnrdReporter's Avatar
    Can we get a parts list for this? I'd love to make one myself!
    Gwildor: Moo? Moo.
    He-Man: Gwildor!
    Gwildor: I'm going, I'm going...Moo!

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Wow this is going to look great! Can't wait to see it!

I'll do some digging and see if I can find any guns that would work
    That'd be really nice if you could find additional weapons.
    You never can have too many choices, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by MldMnrdReporter View Post
    Can we get a parts list for this? I'd love to make one myself!
    I will post the used parts once everything is set and done. But you'll definately need the CollectA 1:15 Deluxe Triceratops

--------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:
    Weapon attachment on back

BTW in all comic images the bionatops beak is shown being a different color than the horns. Shouldn't they all be the same color? Or do you think the beak is supposed to be metal?
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; August 24, 2012 at 04:18am.

it looks like metal in that pic you posted. man this is looking good!! I WISH I WAS DOING THIS!!

once i finish my current projects I'm going to ATTEMPT to sculpt my own from the ground up. (maybe)

Fear is faith in failure

Man, I cannot wait to see this done. It's going to be epic!!!

aww man this looks awesome! i still wish we'd get one of these in motuc but i doubt it

Looking REALLY good. Great paint work so far and I love how intricate the little mechanical details are so far. Great idea making the guns swappable.

It's also pretty cool that since it's it's a crazy virus thing and you aren't going strictly by the vintage toy, there's no wrong way at all to do this. You'll probably top any depiction of this creature ever done.

As I remember Biona Didnt Have Any Articulation But On the toy there were two guns mounted just above the front shoulder blades and who ever was riding held them like a type of handle, One gun for each hand thats if I am even remembering right! Any how on how to get some more fire power or just nice looking guns that should be scale, my son gets these ninja's and soldiers, that are cheap and made of hard plastic. The figures themselves are junk but the weapons are really great. I do not know where you can get them for sure, but over here they have the cheap dollar store and dollar general stores like every ten miles, shokonin or some thing really close to that, they only ran around 2 to 3 dollars if you have a cheap general store check through them! I dont remember if his beak was also metalic so do what feels good! It's interpatation so as FakeEyes22 Just said it there's no wrong way only your way and it should be great actually rephrase that will be great!

WISHLIST: Green and Purple Mask of Power demons, Blastar, Panther/Cat Men, Peekablue, Prince Dakon, Rotar, Twistoid, Kayo, Vizar, Lizorr, Sagitar, Quakke, Mara (prototype), Garth, Blackbeard, Gleedal, Gargons, Garn (mini-comic), Hawke, Fang-or, Great Black Wizard, Red Stripe, Granita, Brainwave, Contractor

looking very good so far. I look forward to seeing your further progress

Thanks for your kind words everyone! I myself can’t wait to see the result!
    BTW the magnet attachments idea is going to work nicely – I found some very strong ones of minimal size!

Here is some progress on the tech details on his head:

I also made a direct comparison of the head mounted blaster in two panels of the mini comic. The size is WAY smaller when He-Man sits on the head. So in the end I don’t see a problem in using the blaster PD HM came with. I’ll definitely make a turret though to make it appear a bit heavie

Regarding the beak - here are some references in which it doesn’t appear to be metal…

This will be a tough decision…

Quote Originally Posted by michaelAschamp View Post
    Any how on how to get some more fire power or just nice looking guns that should be scale, my son gets these ninja's and soldiers, that are cheap and made of hard plastic. The figures themselves are junk but the weapons are really great. I do not know where you can get them for sure, but over here they have the cheap dollar store and dollar general stores like every ten miles, shokonin or some thing really close to that, they only ran around 2 to 3 dollars if you have a cheap general store check through them! I dont remember if his beak was also metalic so do what feels good! It's interpatation so as FakeEyes22 Just said it there's no wrong way only your way and it should be great actually rephrase that will be great!
    Those dollar store weapons sound great. Any pics you could share?

Quote Originally Posted by Delthaindia View Post
    I guess this is a vote for a metal beak eh?