View Poll Results: How should the layout be for the possible MOTUC C-A-C Contest submissions book?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Number Order

0 0%
  • Month>State>Creator>Character

0 0%
  • Month>State>Faction>Character

0 0%
  • Month> Creator>Character

0 0%
  • Month>State>Type>Character

0 0%
  • Month>Faction>Character

0 0%
  • State>Faction>Character

1 3.23%
  • State>Creator>Character

1 3.23%
  • Creator>Character

5 16.13%
  • Faction>Character

16 51.61%
  • Type>Character

3 9.68%
  • Character

5 16.13%
  • Other

0 0%

Thread: How should the layout be for the possible MOTUC C-A-C Contest submissions book?

How should the layout be for the possible MOTUC C-A-C Contest submissions book?

I have been thinking about when (and if) Mattel puts out a book containing the entries for the 2011 MOTUC Create-A-Character Contest what order the entries will be displayed. Some key ways to divide them up are month, faction, state, type, creator, character & number order.

Number order – as the entries came in they were numbered. With over 1300 entries this would make it difficult to find specific ones unless there was a massive index.

Month – would be interesting to see what months had more/less submissions, but would be based upon when Mattel received them (if they even kept track of this) and it would be difficult for fans to find their submissions unless they kept track of this (we had 3-Aug, 5-Sep, 5-Oct, 7-Nov, 5-Dec & 1-Jan confirmed/expected deliveries)

Faction – great way to organize and spread out entrant submissions throughout the book (we had 4-Evil Horde, 4-Evil Warriors, 7-Heroic Masters, 3-Preternia, 1-Snake Man & 8-no affiliation)

State – would be interesting to see which state had the most/least submissions, but may be a legal issue since Mattel may not be able to reveal where contestants live.

Type – i.e. minotaurs, dinosaurs, cyborgs, etc. May get repetitive or boring while flipping through hundreds of minotaur submissions, characters may fit more than one category (we had multiple cyborg combos)

Creator – easy to find submission, by last name

Character – easy to find submission, can split up sections by letter. Unnamed entries can be listed either under “U” for “unnamed”, but I would rather list them at the end under their own “unnamed” section.

Also, I would like to see both the original submission and an artist’s rendering for each entry. (I would even like to replace some of my originals since I have redone several, but that is truly a pipe dream….) Finally, I think that the winner and the runners-up (including the disqualified) should either be listed 1st in the book or within the section that it would normally fall with notation indicating that it was either the winner, a runner-up, or a disqualified runner-up. I would prefer the later choice, but either would be fine.

I came up with a dozen different ways to lay out the book (or books, with 1300+ entries it may take more than 1 volume):
    Number Order
    Month>State>Creator>Character
    Month>State>Faction>Character
    Month> Creator>Character
    Month>State>Type>Character
    Month>Faction>Character
    State>Faction>Character
    State>Creator>Character
    Creator>Character
    Faction>Character
    Type>Character
    Character
    Other

I think that the Faction>Character option would be best for splitting up the book and making it so creators can have their ideas spread throughout the book rather than focused in one area.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Zargon; August 22, 2012 at 02:47pm.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah

I voted for sorting by Creator first. I don't like the idea of sorting by faction because I assume that a lot of entries weren't faction-specific. At least most of mine weren't, so they would have to be arbitrarily categorized.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I like sorting them by faction & type.
    a alphabetized index of names of creators in the back would be helpful.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    I like sorting them by faction & type.
    a alphabetized index of names of creators in the back would be helpful.
    I agree completely with kylun flac......

state creator character, though I would like to see faction lables, they werent making bios suggestions a part of it. Best to skip it if they even incuded it.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    state creator character, though I would like to see faction lables, they werent making bios suggestions a part of it. Best to skip it if they even incuded it.
    I would like to see the bios as well since 1. most of mine had one and 2. it helps flesh out the character.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah

I like the Creator>Character idea...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Maybe we will hear about this at SDCC this year....

Sorting by faction doesn't make sense as many characters will be faction-less by the sheer fact that some didn't give any indication in the entries. Further, those that didn't have intentional factions by the creator would simply have a faction chosen for them and at that point, who cares which side that person thinks they should be on.

I think Type is the best way to sort since Scott said so many entries were similar, it would make sense to have a page full of "Skeleton Warriors" for example and then highlight the best entries with larger images of them. This also makes more sense from a user standpoint as readers will more easily find that specific Skeleton Warrior they were looking for if all the Skeleton Warriors could be seen together.

I was thinking that since nothing was said (correct?) at SDCC about this that we may here something about it in December for a couple of reasons:

1. Castle Grayskullman came out in November 2012 and Toy Guru had said that he wanted to give Daniel his year of being thet winner with nothing to possibly overshadow his win.

2. December is relatively light (only two figures, Plundor and Strong-or, since the "Holiday Item", Sky High & Jet Sled, will be released in September) compared to the heavy months of October (Mantenna, Lord Dactus, Horde Troopers, Nepthu & End of Wars weapons pak) and November (Geldor, Sea Hawk, stackable elevated stands, Castle Grayskull).

It should be Creator then Character....faction shouldn't play a role, as they aren't real characters yet, just concepts. It's just easire to do an alphabetical listing of Creators.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    I think Type is the best way to sort since Scott said so many entries were similar, it would make sense to have a page full of "Skeleton Warriors" for example and then highlight the best entries with larger images of them. This also makes more sense from a user standpoint as readers will more easily find that specific Skeleton Warrior they were looking for if all the Skeleton Warriors could be seen together.
    I voted for Type >> Character for the same reasons (not recently, but when the poll went up).

Really disappointed nothing was mentioned about this at SDCC. I started working on my entries the night the contest leaked, which is over two years ago now. That is a long time to keep something under wraps. I would love to get feedback on them, and see everyone else's entries.

I wouldn't be surprised if (a) they never actually do anything with these entries or (b) if they announce something in December it won't be available until July or something. What is the point of dragging this out?

I am guessing they will put up a web site for this (or shoehorn it into mattycollector.com) instead of printing a book, and that would be fine with me. Just do something already.
    Last edited by ShadowBeast; July 30, 2013 at 03:47pm.