Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much did vintage figures retail for back in the day (i.e. 1982-1987)?

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)

How much did vintage figures retail for back in the day (i.e. 1982-1987)?

I know this doesn't really belong here, but I'm really curious if anyone remembers. It would be an interesting comparison to today's price point of the Classics if someone can do the inflation calculations as well (I'm no mathematician!).

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    They were fairly expensive in Portugal, about 3000$ (escudos at the time) or 15€ per figure. Spydor was 50€ (50 000$)

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Thanks for that.

Sorry, I should have specified. I'm looking for information on the United States and Canada.

master of hiphop
    In Canada they were 4.99 AHH YEAH! and when on sale of Clearance they were typically 1.99 oh the good ol' days

mind you they were selling em at 100 times the amount they sell today.. produced in the millions, so that is also something to take into consideration.
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

Quote Originally Posted by AGE View Post
    In Canada they were 4.99 AHH YEAH! and when on sale of Clearance they were typically 1.99 oh the good ol' days

mind you they were selling em at 100 times the amount they sell today.. produced in the millions, so that is also something to take into consideration.
    I remember Eaton's sold them for $5.99 more expensive than Kmart and Towers which ranged from $3.99 - $4.99 Sears had em for the same as Eatons I think Consumers distributing had them for less, same with Toy city and Merry land toys (was that the name of it?)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

master of hiphop
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I remember Eaton's sold them for $5.99 more expensive than Kmart and Towers which ranged from $3.99 - $4.99 Sears had em for the same as Eatons I think Consumers distributing had them for less, same with Toy city and Merry land toys (was that the name of it?)

ahh yeah man.. CD was the bomb.. my parents would bring me in.. i'd look in the cats and pick 10 figures.. and ready for pickup or if they had it in hand ready to take home.. i loved that place!! i always found it better then toysrus or Zellers or Kmart.. rest in Peace Zellers and Kmart.. -No longer in Canada but yeah so cheap.

Yeah, I was paying $4.50 to $4.99 usually. US
    I remember some of the higher priced stores sold them for $5.99 (Dillards, etc) and I wouldn't get a figure there unless I couldn't find them anywhere else.

Heroic Warrior
    How about Grayskull? Anyone remember what that ran for?

Quote Originally Posted by AGE View Post
    ahh yeah man.. CD was the bomb.. my parents would bring me in.. i'd look in the cats and pick 10 figures.. and ready for pickup or if they had it in hand ready to take home.. i loved that place!! i always found it better then toysrus or Zellers or Kmart.. rest in Peace Zellers and Kmart.. -No longer in Canada but yeah so cheap.
    i miss kmart. and towers you remember towers? or Woolco?? woolco towers and consumers were my biggest suppliers. sometimes Miracle Mart and a drug store called hy and zels, i met he-man there and canada's wonderland. hy and zel's would have regular sales and you could get motu for $3.99 there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    How about Grayskull? Anyone remember what that ran for?
    $24.99 point dread was $14.99

But I got my point dread at a flea market for $12, it didn't come with the record but it was brand new.
    Last edited by krosfyah; August 29, 2012 at 12:20pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

approximately $5 give or take up to a buck depending on the store...

master of hiphop
    Nah ,, i was moving a lot when i was younger so i really only remember CD and Kmart and Zellers, to be perfectly honest, as a kid i never went to Toysrus not once.... only Kmart, i remember my Dad wrestling with Women to get the latest figures.. and he came home with bags full, one day i got 15 figures in one shot.. i was floored. all the smaller stores i really don't remember, but hy and zels i remember.hahah they still exist in the US no?

and i never had CG as a kid or Talon Fighter.. it was mainly figs and Snake Mountain which i think was 24.99 as well.

i miss kmart. and towers you remember towers? or Woolco?? woolco towers and consumers were my biggest suppliers. sometimes Miracle Mart and a drug store called hy and zels, i met he-man there and canada's wonderland. hy and zel's would have regular sales and you could get motu for $3.99 there.

- - - Updated - - -

$24.99 point dread was $14.99

But I got my point dread at a flea market for $12, it didn't come with the record but it was brand new.

Towers was a chain they competed with kmart but then I think kmart bought them. Simpsons was expensive for figures I remember in 86 they charged $9.99 for them at one point while Eaton's was $8.99. Woolco was a chain too, in Scarborough Agincourt Mall where Walmart is that was Woolco. We went there every weekend after church when I was a kid. After we ate dinner I BOLTED to the toy section and just stayed there if I had $$ I'd buy a figure or two, sometimes a golden book if the cover was by Earl Norem.

Fear is faith in failure

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Here ya go:

Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; August 29, 2012 at 12:40pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Fear is faith in failure

some of my moc figures have tags from "Bradlees" or "TRU" or "Child World" - and they range from $3.99 to $5.99 (the later figures)

I know that Eternia was like $150 at TRU
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Those pictures got me pregnant BJH!
    Dang! Next time I'll be sure to use protection before posting pics, k-man!
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; August 29, 2012 at 12:53pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    When I was getting them as a kid, a place called Service Merchandise was the BEST for He-Man. But in Milford Michigan in the early 80's I could find cool "He-Man guys" at Perry Drugs and even Kroeger, so they were everywhere. They were usually 3.99 to 4.99 but my parents would get them at Service Merchandise (I guess it was like a JC PENNY) for 3.49 to 3.79. So I would usually get mine there because they were always the cheapest.
    The first toy shop/comic shop I ever went to was called The Shedder Shop. It was toward the end of the series and I remember getting King Randor for like 6 bucks, and my little brother got Ssssqeeze for around the same. My parents were ticked because it was the most we EVER saw them for.
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Discount Harry's had them for $2.99. Mega cheap!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

$5 average on the figures from memory, but on those old ad pics! Totally cool!!!

Service Merchandise was an awesome store back in the day. I remember getting most of the first series there and $4.87 was about what I remember. Sadly I also remember getting lots of them for $1.97 - $2.99 at Lionel Playworld towards the end...
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    Seems like they were between $5 and $6 a piece and it looks like I'm right according the adds posted on here. I remember asking for several figures and my mom pointed out the price because she thought they were too expensive. I think that was in or around 1983 in northern Ohio at Kmart or Gold Circle... I only had good guys... Mom wouldn't buy the evil warriors which were my favorite! Even then I only had He-man, BA He-man w/ Road Ripper, MAA, Teela, Buzz off and a couple others... A friend of mine eventually just gave me Skeletor, and Mer-man and Beast man because somehow he managed to have several of every figure... Explains my current obsession with owning everything!
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Can I order Eternia online for $83.97?

I love Mos Eisley Cantina BoShek's Avatar
    I remember them being like $3.99.
    Please watch my videos!
    http://www.eaglekillerstudios.com

It varied.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    Can I order Eternia online for $83.97?
    I think you will need a delorean
    Lipster Heroic Warrior