Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much did vintage figures retail for back in the day (i.e. 1982-1987)?

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Ah man, that is so awesome seeing those prices. I remember buying most of my figures as a kid. My brother and I would save our allowance, pool our money, and buy everything we could get our hands on, but I couldn't remember for the life of me how much they were. 5 bucks is SOOOOOO cheap, but as a kid I remember it seemed like a big deal.

The one thing I do remember is the Eternia set selling for $99.00 at the Bay (a Canadian department store) and I just about fainted when I saw the price. I wanted it soooo bad, but never got one because it was too expensive. Less than $30 for Grayskull, that is out of this world!!! Battle Ram for $15... OMG!!!!

I love remembering my childhood, which is inseparable from MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    Ah man, that is so awesome seeing those prices. I remember buying most of my figures as a kid. My brother and I would save our allowance, pool our money, and buy everything we could get our hands on, but I couldn't remember for the life of me how much they were. 5 bucks is SOOOOOO cheap, but as a kid I remember it seemed like a big deal.

The one thing I do remember is the Eternia set selling for $99.00 at the Bay (a Canadian department store) and I just about fainted when I saw the price. I wanted it soooo bad, but never got one because it was too expensive. Less than $30 for Grayskull, that is out of this world!!! Battle Ram for $15... OMG!!!!

I love remembering my childhood, which is inseparable from MOTU.
    I got Eternia from Eatons, same price I BEGGED for it and said i'd forgo my birthday present if i got it for Christmas. i wish i still had all the pieces but I still have the playset and some parts.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Discount Harry's had them for $2.99. Mega cheap!

Ah man, I grew up in Center City Philadelphia and my folks would take my brother and I to Discount Harry's in Jersey always on my birthday or my brother's birthday. They had bicycles in the basement, pools and other furniture on the main floor and toys on the second floor. It was like a warehouse. I loved it. I got a lot of childhood toys like ESB Han Solo, Voltron, G.I.Joe and yes, He-Man at Discount Harry's. It was a big part of my childhood.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Eternian Paparazzo prince.nothing's Avatar
    in india the regular leo-mattel figures went for around 45 rupees

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I love seeing old ads, art, commercials, etc. Brings me way back.

Man, $83 for Eternia? Those WERE the days!
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    Can I order Eternia online for $83.97?
    Seriously!!! Can you imagine??

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    I love seeing old ads, art, commercials, etc. Brings me way back.

Man, $83 for Eternia? Those WERE the days!
    That is CHEAP!!! It was $150 at Child World (I said TRU, but I was remembering wrong... the location in my memory was right, but at that time it was Child World - it became TRU later).

Child World was AWESOME. It smelled like new toys LOL!!

But I never saw Eternia for less than $100. That $83 is awesome.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Friday, being allowance day, saw me getting a new MOTU figure for the five my mom handed me.

Well, if I use the prices BJH displayed as a base line figure, the current MOTUC figures, with the upcoming 2013 prices, are about 5 times what they cost originally. The Wind Raider is also about 5 times it's original cost. The He-man/Battlecat combo is a little less than the combined price of the two new figures. So you could safely assume that Battle Ram would be about $75-80 if they made it.

The weird thing, though, is by the same assumption an equivalent Castle Grayskull would be only $125. So even a pimped up one should run around the $250 mark.

Or am I way off-base?
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Wow! Memories remain. Good ol'Days. My childhood too was very tied to MOTU.
    Ya Tengo El Poder!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    some of my moc figures have tags from "Bradlees" or "TRU" or "Child World" - and they range from $3.99 to $5.99 (the later figures)

I know that Eternia was like $150 at TRU
    No you didn't just say Bradlees and Child World, ... I'm going to go there too, Caldor!!! Also what was the name of that toy store with the Kangaroo as it's logo?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    No you didn't just say Bradlees and Child World, ... I'm going to go there too, Caldor!!! Also what was the name of that toy store with the Kangaroo as it's logo?

I loved Child World too, I like the one in the Garden State Plaza better than the one of of rt. 46. If memory serves me correctly I think that's a home depot now. And the on in GSP was a Borders, but we know what happened to that dang store.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Its not too far off today, if you adjust for inflation the same action figure priced at $4.97 would be $10.50-14.95
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Crystal Moonbeam & Shezar The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Kiddie City!

In the early 90's, I got a discounted Ben Cooper Beast Man costume for $1 at Kiddie City, that was my Halloween costume that October (this was 1991 I think). I was hardcore MOTU, even years after it was totally faded. I got a lot of grief at the bus stop, but I didn't care.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Child World was amazing. I remember the WALL with pegs and pegs of MOTU they had there. I remember getting figures there, Osco Drug, Mars Bargainland (a long-defunct local store), Ann & Hope, Woolworths, K-Mart, and Zayre!

I also recall seeing Eternia for $100 and being in shock at how massive and expensive it was.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior
    Yup. $3.99-$4.99 sounds about right.

I always remember getting them at "The Fair" dept chain (long gone & a local favorite) when they weren't "B-Day/X-mas" gifts & they were around $5,
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 3.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    I lived in Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada... about a 3 hour drive from Toronto. I remember paying about $6.99 for figures at the Steadmans drug store. I feel so ripped off now!

In Greece the regular figures were about 1500 drachmas which is $5.5 (US) each.
    Μπιστ Μαν, ανόητε τριχομούρη!

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    Can I order Eternia online for $83.97?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
    I think you will need a delorean
    Or Mighty Spector
    My Feedback

The fortress of mystery and power!

Heroic Warrior
    Between 4 and 5 dollars. Depending where you bought them. Those were good times.
    "These are the days of high adventure"

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Child World was amazing. I remember the WALL with pegs and pegs of MOTU they had there. I remember getting figures there, Osco Drug, Mars Bargainland (a llong-defunct local store), Ann & Hope, and Zayre!

I also recall seeing Eternia for $100 and being in shock at how massive and expensive it was.
    We had wolworths and worths 5 and 10 which were local mom and pop stores. They had valley fair and Lee Ward too.

oh and service merchandise.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

I guess I was lucky... my local K-Mart was always 2.99 on MOTU figures. But IIRC the Eternia playset was 99.00.

After MOTU faded out and TMNT came in, Ninja Turtles were 3.49.

K-Mart never did a clearance sale MOTU thing where all the figures were marked down 50% off or anything. I remember walking in one week and there was a giant wall of MOTU (as there had been for the last four or five years) and then the next week, POOF, they were gone and replaced by something else. My local K-Mart never carried the He-Man New Adventures line.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

Widget
    We usually got ours here in Ohio at a place called Hills. We got our Snake Mountain there too. My Castle Grayskull's box has a price tag of $25.99 for a store called Hart's.

Widget
    Grayskull was $49.99 & Snake Mountain was $59.99 @ Harts in Celina,OH. I remember it as if it were yesterday!

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    $5 most places, $4.50 at Target. $6 for the 'Deluxe' figures (Thunder Punch He-Man, Dragon Blaster Skeletor, etc.) $7 for Modulok, and presumably Multi-Bot.

My parents paid $100 for Eternia--then the day after Christmas went back to the store, found a half-off one that had just been marked down to $25, bought that, and returned the original $100 one. (Since we were visiting my grandparents for Christmas, I'd gotten the big "Santa gifts" Christmas morning but hadn't taken it out of the package yet.)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    $5 most places, $4.50 at Target. $6 for the 'Deluxe' figures (Thunder Punch He-Man, Dragon Blaster Skeletor, etc.) $7 for Modulok, and presumably Multi-Bot.

My parents paid $100 for Eternia--then the day after Christmas went back to the store, found a half-off one that had just been marked down to $25, bought that, and returned the original $100 one. (Since we were visiting my grandparents for Christmas, I'd gotten the big "Santa gifts" Christmas morning but hadn't taken it out of the package yet.)
    MISB Eternia for $25! Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070