Thread: TMNT Secret Sewer Home Playset Video Review by Pixel Dan

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar

TMNT Secret Sewer Home Playset Video Review by Pixel Dan

Finally got a chance to review this MASSIVE new playset from the Nickelodeon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles toyline form Playmates! I'll say upfront that it's pretty impressive! Great, solid playset with a lot of fun factor!

Enjoy!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Thanks, as always! MAN that looks like a big model kit when you're taking it out of the box. Haven't seen a pile of set peices like that in a LONG time! I want this thing so bad, but I just don't have the room. Friggin' amazing all the same! I complain about Playmates' articulation choices sometimes, but there's no doubt these guys make great toys - in the most classic sense. They just pay attention to every little thing, even when it's tiny stuff like getting the figures to stay in different places. It's little details - like the holes in the wall behind the telephone poll for feet and hands to fit in - that makes this set shine. It looks like they didn't skip a beat anywhere on this set! Every little bit is ready for action. Just awesome.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I can't see myself passing on this, especially in the $80 range. It's just too good. Nevertheless, there's no place to put it.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

I would have loved a playset like that back in the old days, now it would just take too much space but it's still fun to see. I agree the box art looks awesome.

Ooze is great, I had a lot of fun playing with that stuff and my old Turtles and Ghostbusters figures, it's cool the playset included a feature to use with it even though the ooze itself is not included.

I don't think I had seen the new figures before, or maybe I just don't remember, so it was nice to see them with the playset, I liked them. As always the review was very well done, very detailed and complete. Man, the music from that old TMNT video game brought me back some memories, I loved the game but I never got far, haha. Thanks for sharing the video!
    "With the silent leap of a sullen beast, I have downed and strangled every joy."
    Rimbaud

I saw 4 at my local TRU last Sunday. It is very impressive and I love the graphics on the box.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Looks great and I would love to own it to display my TMNTC figs on (as soon as I get Raph, Donny and Leo that is) but alas it is far far FAR too big. I don't really have enough room to get the other 3 turtles so there is absolutely NO chance of me finding room for that thing no matter how much I try to rearrange things. But man it looks SWEET

I do want one, as i said two reasons, I believe in playsets and I want them supported! and this is pretty damned cool!

money and space are an issue though.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Space be damned, find room

I am going to buy it because its awesome but more importantly to send Playmates a message that playsets like they were in the 80's and 90's deserve to be on store shelves
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Space be damned, find room

I am going to buy it because its awesome but more importantly to send Playmates a message that playsets like they were in the 80's and 90's deserve to be on store shelves
    yeah the set is so cool and toy companies need to know playsets need to come back!! ESP when they are done well! to hell with the tower of omens!!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Awesome review! I still have my vintage playset. This new one makes the old one look pathetic! I really wish I could have had this as a kid! Of course I'm sure I wouldn't still have it like I do the vintage set since my mom probably would have made me get rid of it due to it's size upon me getting to the age where I had "outgrown" toys (before getting back into them as an adult).

I may have to pick this up and a few of the new figures at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    I can't see myself passing on this, especially in the $80 range. It's just too good. Nevertheless, there's no place to put it.
    $80-range? TRU is the only one carrying it for now, and currently its about $130 on their website. Where are you seeing this in the $80-range?

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    $80-range? TRU is the only one carrying it for now, and currently its about $130 on their website. Where are you seeing this in the $80-range?
    He likes to buy on clearance or sale, so the $80 price point is probably what he anticipates it going for near Christmas. Knowing TRU he is probably right as they will either do a Buy 1 get 1 50% off or Buy 1 and get so many other TMNT free which in turn makes the playset cost lower.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

He likes to buy on clearance or sale, so the $80 price point is probably what he anticipates it going for near Christmas. Knowing TRU he is probably right as they will either do a Buy 1 get 1 50% off or Buy 1 and get so many other TMNT free which in turn makes the playset cost lower.
    Our TRUs NEVER do those sales. well not NEVER but not nearly as frequent as yours do. hell the thundercats figures have just been shoved into a corner, no clearance yet, same with dc vs motu
    Last edited by krosfyah; September 5, 2012 at 08:47am.

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Our TRUs NEVER do those sales. well not NEVER but not nearly as frequent as yours do.
    Yeah ours do them ALL the time, they just got done with a Power Rangers one and a My Little Pony one.

It's great to see such a big playset released for a major toy line. I had thought the day of playsets like this were gone.
    The only down side is that would require so much space to be displayed.

On a related note, I really want Playmates to make a Classics April O'Neil figure.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I may hold off for a sale, myself. I am very interested in this, but there is just SO MUCH STUFF in general coming out (figures, collectibles, DVD/Blu-Rays, video games, the Wii U, etc) in the near future that I am interested in that I am going to have to get selective, hold off on a few things, and/or strategically shop the sales.

I don't even have any of the figures yet (I have the Classics ones, but not any from the new cartoon-based line). Plus I have to make room for something like this anyway.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; September 5, 2012 at 09:14am.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Thanks for the comments, guys!

Yeah, it's pricey...but if you can afford it, grab it. You won't be disappointed. It's amazing seeing a playset like this in today's market. I don't think a playset of this size and quality has been seen since the 80's/90's era. I hope we get more like this!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

I really wish this had folded up for storage. As it is, I'll be passing as I simply don't have the space.

I wish Playmates the best of luck with this, but with the cost & size I have doubts as to how well it will sell. Maybe it would have been better as two or three smaller sets that combined together?