Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Mekaneck Video Review by Pixel Dan

Hybrid View

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar

MOTU Classics Mekaneck Video Review by Pixel Dan

Alright guys, the Mekaneck video review is finally here! sorry for the delay! I've been having a lot of dumb issues lately...

Any additional questions, please ask! Off to work on the next several MOTUC vids!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Awesome review PD! Can't wait for Stack a Neck!! I'm buying 30.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    If you buy 30 and stack 'em, we gotta see pics!!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Dan, a couple of questions.

1. Is his helmet a separate piece like He-Man's hair piece we can remove and re-attach properly?

2. Does he have the tight Vikor ankles?

WOW!

I have been waiting for Mekaneck since '09! I'm so glad to finally be getting him.

I hope those goggles are simply a "hair app" issue, as in when the hair sits further back on the head than usual because of factory application. I really want my Mekaneck to be perfect!

Looking at the 200X version, I must say it was a terrific update and a better use of detail in colors. The green translucent goggles were an awesome touch. What a pity we won't be getting many more variants, if at all. A 200X version of Mekaneck would have rocked our socks off. Oh well. It's better that we get as many new characters as possible at this point.

Great job, Dan. I really liked the black background in your "hands on" segment. It looks very professional.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

What a great looking figure. I noticed the goggles/helmet not sitting right on his face before it was even mentioned & I hope that's just a production error not common with all Mekaneck figures.

I've ALWAYS love the Mekaneck figures especially the original back when I was a little brat. His colors appeal to me & his action feature was so fun to make happen & I really dig the neck extensions for the Classics version. I'm glad they went the silver goggle route. Looks cool to me that way, kinda like, silver lenses on aviator shades.

Mek's club looks REAL mean too. I'd hate to be on the receiving end o' that thing!

Great review Dan!
    I want my other half.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Honestly, I am not all that into this figure. He just looks so boring to me. And I absolutely hate the silver goggles. How is he supposed to see out of that thing?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Thanks, Dan! I'm stoked for this guy!
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

Holy crap, I sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo can't wait. I know he may look boring to some, but I love this guy. I might even have to move all my heroic and evil warriors to another shelf just to put the 5 inch neck piece on him, or drill a whole through a shelf.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Aside from the neck attachments, there's really nothing inspired about this figure IMO.

The head sculpt looks underwhelming, which is where the figure should really shine.

I still kinda want him to help have a nice core Heroic Warriors group, but I really think the design and feel of the 200x was much more fresh and unique.

I'm looking forward to Mekaneck. I agree that the all-silver goggles look a bit off but I absolutely love the face sculpt - he looks really handsome.

Dan, can you confirm if the hands are painted? I'm guessing that they are, which means he probably won't be able to hold his weapon without paint coming off (just like Adam and Marzo). Dan, how hard are his hands?

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rankinman View Post
    Holy crap, I sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo can't wait. I know he may look boring to some, but I love this guy. I might even have to move all my heroic and evil warriors to another shelf just to put the 5 inch neck piece on him, or drill a whole through a shelf.
    That shelf idea is awesome! Although you should be sure where to drill - he's gonna stand there for a while...

I like the figure. But I might swap the boots with those of a Tri-Klops figure. Not too fond of those silver leather straps...
    Also something needs to be done with that helmet. It needs to be pushed down farther and those all silver goggles need some accents of paint.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Dan, you forgot to address the "paint over black plastic" issue... Are Mekaneck's arms made of a blue plastic, or are they covered with blue paint over black plastic, like we had with Spikor !? Did any paint chip when you moved his articulations ?

It was very obvious from pics released in other previews that Mekaneck's hands are painted, though...

The helmet not sitting properly on Mekaneck's head is not a huge issue, but it sure is a pet peeve to me, and shows that the attention required is STILL not given when figures are produced. I guess more people will have to become part-time customizers if they want a perfect Mekaneck (which shouldn't happen with such costly figures anyway)...

I'll probably buy Mekaneck, but I'm not fully satisfied. He suffers from a minor flaw (the crooked helmet thing), and maybe from a bigger flaw (paint over black plastic). Given his articulations seem to be tight and proper, and that his sculpt is good, I'll buy him. I just hope we won't be disappointed by this one...
    Last edited by Prahvus; September 7, 2012 at 06:29am.

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    But I might swap the boots with those of a Tri-Klops figure. Not too fond of those silver leather straps...
    Well, Why not try Vykor's boots instead of Tri-klops ? The brown furry boots of Vykor will give you sorta "200X look" & I think it will look GREAT on him. Mind you, Tri-Klop has those old "loose" ankle joints & I bet you.... You'll see an "Ever Falling" Meckaneck as a result, especially with extended neck piecees !

As for me, I am fine the way he is ! I love his classic look, so I don’t mind silver boots at all ! All in all, I am sold with this guy. Getting 2 of him via SUB, now thinking of buying 1 more !!
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

MOTUC Mini Comics, Sub Exclusive Maps & Castle Grayskull Exclusive Posters FOR SALE !

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Honestly, I am not all that into this figure. He just looks so boring to me. And I absolutely hate the silver goggles. How is he supposed to see out of that thing?
    His goggles are not typical goggles that anyone can wear. I imagine he has no eyes and they are wired into the goggles much like Tri-Klops are. In other words, he wouldn't be able to see without his helmet/goggles on, so rather than seeing through them he sees with them.

Seeing the comparison with the vintage figure made me realize that a lot of the vintage figures had He-Man's left arm with the more gauntlet type wrist guard. I wonder why they choose to go with the two short matching bracelets rather than stay true to the use of parts in the vintage line?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    I wonder why they choose to go with the two short matching bracelets rather than stay true to the use of parts in the vintage line?
    The 4H seem to do that when ever they have a figure wearing the spandex type outfits & their hands show, makes it seem more like tight sleeves with an ending under the guantlet than an abrupt stop (with only paint) at the hands. It makes sense for characters whose basic skin is covered by one of the many colors of their outfits but their bare hands still show.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 8.31.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    How is he supposed to see out of that thing?
    He can't. He's just an inanimate piece of plastic.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

yeah, in a science fantasy world, that makes no logical sense.

Please don't say this figure is boring. I don't want matty getting an ideas and deciding to reverse mek's feet to make him pop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    Please don't say this figure is boring. I don't want matty getting an ideas and deciding to reverse mek's feet to make him pop.
    You spoiled Ram Man's surprise!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

great review! thanks dan

CANNOT wait for this one - yet another perfect update of the vintage figure ...

the helmet/head alignment doesn't bother me in the slightest and im sure i will feel the same once i have the figure in hand ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

The lack of detail on the goggles kill it for me. Probably one of my top two characters in the line as a kid so I was hoping he'd turn out great and he did, except for that.

The lack of ANY THING just looks SOOO plain, cheap and un-finished. Vac Metal, translucent green lenses, GREEN PAINT!! Any thing would of been nice...but no. BAH!!

I just can't understand why these simple additions continue to get the axe while leaving us with sub-par products.

I'm also a little disappointing with the look of goggles, why all one silver paint job?! Otherwise, I can't wait for him and for DB Skeletor.
    Thanks for review once again Dan.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Is a DB Skeletor review on the way, Dan?
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Canīt wait to get that symbol of manliness