Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Mekaneck Video Review by Pixel Dan

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    How is he supposed to see out of that thing?
    He can't. He's just an inanimate piece of plastic.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by LANTERN-RO View Post
    But Dan, with all due respect, you receive this figures for review, for free!!! you need to cut them if needed, try an unglue the helmet, etc, buy your own ones to keep mint!
    I agree. I'd like to see a reviewer eviscerate these toys
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    But Dan, with all due respect, you receive this figures for review, for free!!! you need to cut them if needed, try an unglue the helmet, etc, buy your own ones to keep mint!
    That may be, but don't forget how much time and effort I put into these videos. Case in point, I spent from the time I got home from work at 5 yesterday until almost 11pm last night just getting this one Mekaneck video done and uploaded. And I still have Frosta, Snake Men, Rattlor, and Cy-Chop all to do. It will probably take me all weekend long to work on these. That's not a complaint by any means, so please don't take it that way. I love doing this. But it is very time consuming.

And that's in addition to everything else I have to do for my sponsors and other companies who send me stuff for Pixel-Dan.com.

I appreciate that everyone wants to know as many details as they can about these figures, and I do my best to always answer additional questions and take extra pictures when asked to after posting the videos. But it's not always easy for me to drop what I'm doing and do this sort of stuff, especially when it comes to stuff like figuring out how to remove glued pieces and cutting up a figure.

IF I am able to get to this, and people really feel I need to do it, I can try. But I really can't make any promises on that right now. I have far too much to do and many deadlines to meet. I apologize. I'll continue to do my best to keep answering questions and snapping extra pictures as time allows.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    That may be, but don't forget how much time and effort I put into these videos. Case in point, I spent from the time I got home from work at 5 yesterday until almost 11pm last night just getting this one Mekaneck video done and uploaded. And I still have Frosta, Snake Men, Rattlor, and Cy-Chop all to do. It will probably take me all weekend long to work on these. That's not a complaint by any means, so please don't take it that way. I love doing this. But it is very time consuming.

And that's in addition to everything else I have to do for my sponsors and other companies who send me stuff for Pixel-Dan.com.

I appreciate that everyone wants to know as many details as they can about these figures, and I do my best to always answer additional questions and take extra pictures when asked to after posting the videos. But it's not always easy for me to drop what I'm doing and do this sort of stuff, especially when it comes to stuff like figuring out how to remove glued pieces and cutting up a figure.

IF I am able to get to this, and people really feel I need to do it, I can try. But I really can't make any promises on that right now. I have far too much to do and many deadlines to meet. I apologize. I'll continue to do my best to keep answering questions and snapping extra pictures as time allows.
    Please Dan! You were the best motuc reviewer! but ultimately the reviews seems rushed... you need to adress as many issues as posible, and you need to work more on the figures, besides articulation and "comparasion time"....maybe you need an assistant? A sidekick? Pixel Boy perhaps??

Honestly, I am not all that into this figure. He just looks so boring to me. And I absolutely hate the silver goggles. How is he supposed to see out of that thing?
    yeah, in a science fantasy world, that makes no logical sense.

Please don't say this figure is boring. I don't want matty getting an ideas and deciding to reverse mek's feet to make him pop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    Please don't say this figure is boring. I don't want matty getting an ideas and deciding to reverse mek's feet to make him pop.
    You spoiled Ram Man's surprise!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

Please Dan! You were the best motuc reviewer! but ultimately the reviews seems rushed... you need to adress as many issues as posible, and you need to work more on the figures, besides articulation and "comparasion time"....maybe you need an assistant? A sidekick? Pixel Boy perhaps??
    You just saw how much time he said he invests into the review already--cut the man some slack! I was shocked When he posted he had to devote 6 hrs for each review ---to me he's devoting PLENTY of time ESP considering he probably works a full time job. So, be happy with what were getting
    P.S. Dan, keep up the good work and TY for what you do already
    Last edited by He-Kal; September 7, 2012 at 01:26pm.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope this is SARCASTIC. Besides do you really think Mattel and company want Dan chopping up their products on video? C'mon dude, cut the guy some slack. These reviews are amazing (never rushed) and are always detailed. Pictures on certain sites are great, but Dan provides us with a video review for these figures... and really there is NO comparison imo. The extensive work Dan does speaks for itself my friend.
    Thanks PD, cant wait for the Snake Men 2pk review.
    Last edited by NastyNate; September 7, 2012 at 01:28pm.
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

I hope this is SARCASTIC. Besides do you really think Mattel and company want Dan chopping up their products on video? C'mon dude, cut the guy some slack. These reviews are amazing (never rushed) and are always detailed. Pictures on certain sites are great, but Dan provides us with a video review for these figures... and really there is NO comparison imo. The extensive work Dan does speaks for itself my friend.
    This. Book reviewers aren't expected to tear the book up and test the paper to see if it's recycled or not. DVD reviewers aren't expected to scratch up their discs to see how strong the protective coat is. To ask this sort of thing of Dan is absolutely disrespectful and far beyond the expectations of a reviewer.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    That is a really problematic comment right there and assumes most humans have "European-style" noses. Most people in the world actually have short flat noses, which is thought to be related to managing humidity, where as the elongated nose evolved from less humid conditions. To suggest that a fictional character from Eternia must meet with the characteristics of a really small part of the human population (i.e., people of European decent) is absurd, regardless of the color of Mekaneck's skin. He comes from a population that evolved on Eternia, with different conditions that would produce different traits. Sheesh.
    No....I was thinking of proportion. Spikor's face is longer too, because of the more realistic proportions (fans preferred his fatter, more circular vintage head). The Classics figures are longer and more realistic, while the vintage figures are more squat.

The point is that Mek's new nose differs from the Vintage figure and that's what some fans might be seeing that's "off" about him.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    Cool the guns. Mekaneck is just wearing the shades like that so he can look like Phil Lewis.
    Poor Mekaneck! No matter how hard he tries, it's just never good enough...
    But that isn't the problem, the problem is the lenses are the same color as the goggles. It just looks like he has a lense cap on them. This figure is freaking boring and looks weird. They really should have painted the lenses a different shade of silver, if nothing else.
    I understand your point of view... we all miss the metalized lens...
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    how about reversed forarms, we've been told that that is good for a pop!
    That's a great idea!
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Week 5, polls 17 vote for
    Colonel Blast

After Dan's awesome review video I'm even less worried about thr so-called 'helmet-gate' issue as everything seems fine in that department to my eyes. And I love his extending neck into infinity ability! Yes, I plan to purchase multiple Mek's so I can replicate his extendo neck to infinity and beyond!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post

Dan, please for the love all of that holy don't change what you do simply based on the misinformed rantings of a few armchair reviewers. Tune out that noise (and that's about what it amounts to if you ask me) and keep doing what you do so well. And no, there is no need for "Pixel Boy". I believe Dan's long suffering and good sport wife helps with his videos, so cut the guy some serious slack people.
    Last edited by Stygian360; September 7, 2012 at 02:10pm.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

I know he's getting these figures for free dude but really thats a bit excessive for a review, sound more like an autopsy

Nice review Dan, figure looks good besides the high helmet, hope some customizers can find and post a fix for this. Having said that I am really tempted to repaint mine in 200x colours like this:

MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

It was not sarcastic comment, but I meant no disrespect either, Please Dan, accept my apologies If need be, but I really feel you need to be more focused on the controversial issues of any given figure, than "articulation for example, I don´t think it is a matter of time invested in the review... But I don´t want to sound rude to Dan... Thanks for what you do on your reviews....

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    This. Book reviewers aren't expected to tear the book up and test the paper to see if it's recycled or not. DVD reviewers aren't expected to scratch up their discs to see how strong the protective coat is. To ask this sort of thing of Dan is absolutely disrespectful and far beyond the expectations of a reviewer.
    if a book reviewer was review a book from a collection known for quality issues, I would expect to tear the book apart.... same for the dvd example...

Heroic Warrior
    I'd rather him not focus on "controversy", since most of that is just hyper-criticism that doesn't really affect the final product. A reviewer should do exactly what the job title describes...offer a review of the product they received, based on their feelings about it. Dan pointed out the helmet issue because it was obvious to him, and he felt it should be pointed out as a slight flaw. If he doesn't see any issue with the paint, why would he point out "well, if you cut your figures open, you'll find black plastic underneath". That has nothing to do with the product as it is, so it doesn't have any place in a review. If there were giant scratches with black showing through, I'm sure he would point it out since it would be a quality issue. Black plastic being used in itself is not a quality issue.

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    This is so crass. Dan does a good job with his reviews and always rushes to get them out. He is pretty thorough and usually addresses as many issues as possible. I don't believe he is paid to do these, other than being given the figure to review. He does not need to tear apart a figure on camera. That's just absurd.

The only thing I have to complain about is the amount of money Dan has to buy all these figures. I need HIS job! Fo Sho!
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    I'd rather him not focus on "controversy", since most of that is just hyper-criticism that doesn't really affect the final product. A reviewer should do exactly what the job title describes...offer a review of the product they received, based on their feelings about it. Dan pointed out the helmet issue because it was obvious to him, and he felt it should be pointed out as a slight flaw. If he doesn't see any issue with the paint, why would he point out "well, if you cut your figures open, you'll find black plastic underneath". That has nothing to do with the product as it is, so it doesn't have any place in a review. If there were giant scratches with black showing through, I'm sure he would point it out since it would be a quality issue. Black plastic being used in itself is not a quality issue.
    Black plastic used in itself is not a quality issue, but is an aspect I would have liked to see reviewed even if it means scratching a figure gotten for free to review, but this is JUST MY OPINION, of course I thankfull for the Job Dan has been doing, but come on, why can it improve??? I repeat, I meant no disrispect to Dan...

Thanks again, Dan!

Very much looking forward to Mekaneck; he was an old favorite for...unknown reasons. Perhaps simply because of the action feature! I know it wasn't 'cause of the weapon, because who knows there that is. I mean what the heck did I do with these things when I was three years old?!

...oh yeah, chew on them. Oh...oh I hope I didn't eat that mace...

ANYWAY: He looks fantastic, with only the slight rise of the helmet being a minor downfall. Honestly though, it looks fine from many angles so it doesn't bother me. I imagine that his eyes never lined up with the goggles anyway; there's probably a separate peice that goes directly over his eyes and routes to the larger viewfinders on the helmet itself, so he can zoom in, snap pics, and relay it all to a computer back at the castle somewhere. Kinda like how Tri-Klops has now been shown to have those things over his eyes, except...you know, I don't think Mekaneck's system is actually plugged into his sockets like Tri-Klops'. HEY! This looks like another good post for the 'ol "What is that thing" thread I started while back.

Finally, I love that mace. I wish I had it for longer when I was a kid. It was even better in the 200X line! Glad to have a classic styled one as well. I always thought it was hilarious that his power doesn't really help in battle (depending on how you improvise) so he's never seemed like much of a warrior - until you see that he carries a BIG 'OL MACE. I mean, to really use that sucker Meckaneck has to be strong! I think catching that scout while he's spying will actually be a bit more dangerous for the attackers than most people think!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Having said that I am really tempted to repaint mine in 200x colours like this:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...2/200x-mek.jpg
    That was going to be my back up plan if Mekaneck had really loose ankles. I'd give him Spikor boots, King Grayskull 2.0 loin cloth, and Hordak gloves. But I'd prefer him as is so I hope he arrives in good shape.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by hoffman View Post
    i'd rather him not focus on "controversy", since most of that is just hyper-criticism that doesn't really affect the final product. A reviewer should do exactly what the job title describes...offer a review of the product they received, based on their feelings about it. Dan pointed out the helmet issue because it was obvious to him, and he felt it should be pointed out as a slight flaw. If he doesn't see any issue with the paint, why would he point out "well, if you cut your figures open, you'll find black plastic underneath". That has nothing to do with the product as it is, so it doesn't have any place in a review. If there were giant scratches with black showing through, i'm sure he would point it out since it would be a quality issue. Black plastic being used in itself is not a quality issue.
    qft..... ------^
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Great review Dan.

Figure looks great, but I'm not a huge fan of the helmet. I wish there were some additional details like in the 200x version, just to give the goggles more distinction as they seem a little bland. Nevertheless, very pleased to add him to my collection!

Keep up the great work buddy, we're all very lucky to have your reviews and should never take them for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    terrible comparison.

Was never really a fan of Mek but looks better than i thought with the neck extensions. I wish that they could stack more without the blue part.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Another great review as always! Thanks Dan!
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    You just saw how much time he said he invests into the review already--cut the man some slack! I was shocked When he posted he had to devote 6 hrs for each review ---to me he's devoting PLENTY of time ESP considering he probably works a full time job. So, be happy with what were getting
    P.S. Dan, keep up the good work and TY for what you do already
    Words that needed to be said. Unless the folks wanting more from PD are going to start paying him actual money for doing so, I must assume he has a life he needs to live outside the realm of Youtube and we should be happy to get what he can give us.

As for Meky, the head isn't going to look right squashed down on his head, either. If it's low enough to align with his eyes, then there isn't room for the top of his skull inside the helmet. The problem is, as I've said before, inherent in the design of the helmet; it was never made to fit over an actual human head. It can never truly align with his eyes in a useful way to begin with, so I'll take the way it is over a smashed cranium with severe brain damage...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman