Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Mekaneck Video Review by Pixel Dan

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    No....I was thinking of proportion. Spikor's face is longer too, because of the more realistic proportions (fans preferred his fatter, more circular vintage head). The Classics figures are longer and more realistic, while the vintage figures are more squat.

The point is that Mek's new nose differs from the Vintage figure and that's what some fans might be seeing that's "off" about him.
    Nope, when you look at him beside a vintage it looks really off, but you don't need the vintage to see that it is off. Based on the position of his goggles, his eyes should be visible. But then again, maybe really widely spaced eyes is part of the evolutionary trajectory of some Eternians. Who am I to judge?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I know he's getting these figures for free dude but really thats a bit excessive for a review, sound more like an autopsy

Nice review Dan, figure looks good besides the high helmet, hope some customizers can find and post a fix for this. Having said that I am really tempted to repaint mine in 200x colours like this:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...2/200x-mek.jpg
    Wow, that looks WAY cooler!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I also agree with LANTERN-RO. No disrespect to Dan, because I love watching these, but I'd like to see him be a little rougher on the figures.

Do we even know if Mekaneck is supposed to have eyes?....
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

The helmet does seem a bit high on his facebut with that said I never really thought he ACTUALLY had eyes underneath the goggles. I thought the goggles were his eyes. He's a fantasy character with an extending neck. Take him for what he is. I'm looking forward to him.

Side note: Man I always forget how 200X Mekaneck was one of those figures that suffered from 200X pinhead syndrome!
    Thank you for PUTTING IN THE AMOUNT OF TIME that you do with each of these reviews Dan! It's greatly appreciated!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    No....I was thinking of proportion. Spikor's face is longer too, because of the more realistic proportions (fans preferred his fatter, more circular vintage head). The Classics figures are longer and more realistic, while the vintage figures are more squat.

The point is that Mek's new nose differs from the Vintage figure and that's what some fans might be seeing that's "off" about him.
    I see where your coming from but even with the elongated face/nose,there's no excuse for getting that helmet to come down further.If the base of the helmet impedes with the shoulders just make the helmet a tad smaller.Disappointed this couldn't be fixed,seems too obvious to miss.

Thanks Dan! Awesome review, really looking forward for Mekaneck. Yes, he might not be the most outstanding MOTUC figure out there but the nostalgia factor is very strong with this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by LANTERN-RO View Post
    But Dan, with all due respect, you receive this figures for review, for free!!! you need to cut them if needed, try an unglue the helmet, etc, buy your own ones to keep mint!
    Please Dan! You were the best motuc reviewer! but ultimately the reviews seems rushed... you need to adress as many issues as posible, and you need to work more on the figures, besides articulation and "comparasion time"....maybe you need an assistant? A sidekick? Pixel Boy perhaps??
    Really!? C'mon dude, are you serious? It's surprising how we take some things for granted. Dan puts a hell of an effort and a great quality product and you can only come up with these kind of comments? smh

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Please Dan! You were the best motuc reviewer! but ultimately the reviews seems rushed... you need to adress as many issues as posible, and you need to work more on the figures, besides articulation and "comparasion time"....maybe you need an assistant? A sidekick? Pixel Boy perhaps??
    Come on. As a reviewer, Dan is supposed to review the figures he receives and he does that brilliantly. I strongly suggest asking customizers about things like repositioning helmets and types of plastics, etc. Everyone will get their September figures soon enough, including the customizers on the Org. It's a bit extreme to expect Dan to spend extra time chopping up his review figures to examine what color the plastic is under the paint or if helmets can be re-glued, etc.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Good Review. I have been seeing this head thing come up a few times when they have to glue the head together. Some Sorceress's heads were not put together correctly, my Shadow Weaver head was not put in the center of the hood. Not the end of the world but it does make the figure not perfect.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

Heroic Warrior
    But Dan, with all due respect, you receive this figures for review, for free!!! you need to cut them if needed, try an unglue the helmet, etc, buy your own ones to keep mint!
    Seriously??? Yeah please see how he stands up to a bullet, or how he performs in a microwave. Maybe see what happens if you drop him in a vat of acid or when you run him over with a lawn mower?

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    He can't. He's just an inanimate piece of plastic.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    That may be, but don't forget how much time and effort I put into these videos. Case in point, I spent from the time I got home from work at 5 yesterday until almost 11pm last night just getting this one Mekaneck video done and uploaded. And I still have Frosta, Snake Men, Rattlor, and Cy-Chop all to do. It will probably take me all weekend long to work on these. That's not a complaint by any means, so please don't take it that way. I love doing this. But it is very time consuming.

And that's in addition to everything else I have to do for my sponsors and other companies who send me stuff for Pixel-Dan.com.

I appreciate that everyone wants to know as many details as they can about these figures, and I do my best to always answer additional questions and take extra pictures when asked to after posting the videos. But it's not always easy for me to drop what I'm doing and do this sort of stuff, especially when it comes to stuff like figuring out how to remove glued pieces and cutting up a figure.

IF I am able to get to this, and people really feel I need to do it, I can try. But I really can't make any promises on that right now. I have far too much to do and many deadlines to meet. I apologize. I'll continue to do my best to keep answering questions and snapping extra pictures as time allows.
    Your videos are great, no one should expect you to do more than they would with the figures once they get them. Mattel and Scott surely appreciate you reviewing them for the fans as they keep sending you review samples. And as a fan I know I enjoy your seeing your reviews on MOTUC and a lot of your other toy reviews. Thanks Dan!

It was not sarcastic comment, but I meant no disrespect either, Please Dan, accept my apologies If need be, but I really feel you need to be more focused on the controversial issues of any given figure, than "articulation for example, I dont think it is a matter of time invested in the review... But I dont want to sound rude to Dan... Thanks for what you do on your reviews....

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

if a book reviewer was review a book from a collection known for quality issues, I would expect to tear the book apart.... same for the dvd example...
    I really don't see this as a "controversy", and if you want to tear your things up go for it. But he is using the figure as "most" customers would normally, If there is a problem that shows up from normal use Dan will pass it along (Like Hurricane Hordak's Armor flaking).

Black plastic used in itself is not a quality issue, but is an aspect I would have liked to see reviewed even if it means scratching a figure gotten for free to review, but this is JUST MY OPINION, of course I thankfull for the Job Dan has been doing, but come on, why can it improve??? I repeat, I meant no disrispect to Dan...
    So when you get your Mekaneck or every figure moving forward go ahead and scatch them, take the heads apart, whatever? But to expect a toy reviewer to do anything other than review the product for it's intended use is not something I would expect.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    So, Dan, how's that dissection coming along? When can we expect the biology class-like review? Is he anatomically correct? Mekaneck aint a Horde guy. No need to Dr. Frankenstein this guy up.

Ok now in all seriousness...

I've waited many years for Mekaneck. He's damn near perfect imo. There's just something so memorable about this guy to me. I dunno if it's the vibrant color scheme, the action feature, the overall look, or the fact that my kindergarten class had a Mekaneck in it. Also there's the whole Count Marzo, Mekaneck rivalry that occured in both Filmation and MYP. Love those episodes and yes I am biased. You may hate them but I doubt it if you went and watched them. Especially the "Search for a Son" Filmation episode. Really good backstory on Mekaneck in that one.

Can't wait for this guy. Everyone who has a Count Marzo figure definitely needs a Mekaneck figure for him to beat on. Even if you don't have a Count Marzo figure, Mekaneck is still a must have for everyone, especially for the Evil Vintage Purist™ inside all of us.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Dan should wear a welder's protective mask in his next video, flaming a figure with a blowtorch, followed by allowing the figure to free-fall 1,038 feet off a high-rise. Then, scrape off any paint that is left, put it under a microscope, and see it is a TRUE paint job. He's not a real reviewer if he does not do this.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    terrible comparison.
    How so? All three would involve permanently and irrevocably destroying the item to find out its content make-up.
    Last edited by Madison Carter; September 7, 2012 at 05:42pm. Reason: horrible, terrible grammar

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Dan should wear a welder's protective mask in his next video, flaming a figure with a blowtorch, followed by allowing the figure to free-fall 1,038 feet off a high-rise. Then, scrape off any paint that is left, put it under a microscope, and see it is a TRUE paint job. He's not a real reviewer if he does not do this.
    Don't forget the ever popular blender test! Microwave test! Wind Raider crash dummy test! What else?! Whatever other stress tests Mattel doesnt do themselves. That would bring in a whole new YouTube audience that watches those type of destruction videos.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

When is Dan gonna do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Don't forget the ever popular blender test! Microwave test! Wind Raider crash dummy test! What else?! Whatever other stress tests Mattel doesnt do themselves. That would bring in a whole new YouTube audience that watches those type of destruction videos.
    Yes, if he were a real reviewer, he'd do these.

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior
    The tire test, where you drive over the figure in a car; the canine test, where you let Fido chew on him for a bit; oh, and my favorite, the skeet-shooting test. Launch that Master in the air and let'em have it!

Heroic Warrior
    How about giving LANTERN-RO a break. He was saying what he thinks and meant no disrespect to Dan. The never ending witch hunts around this place get really, really tiring. Good god, lighten up people. We all have opinions, and LANTERN-RO expressed his respectfully so there should be NO problem here.

That said, I'd love to see a "Comparison Time" take a blow torch to all three versions of Mekaneck and see the result. That would be amazing!!

Thanks Dan! I completely agree that if not for the awkward helmet position, he would be perfect.

Please review the Snakemen soldiers next. I need to decide if a second set is worth my money. (it probably isn't)
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Mekky looks fab. Can't wait to get him this month. I lucked out and got a Sorceress with a properly positioned headdress, so maybe it'll continue with these goggles? Even if not, I still don't find it nearly as off-putting as some.

Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    How about giving LANTERN-RO a break. He was saying what he thinks and meant no disrespect to Dan. The never ending witch hunts around this place get really, really tiring. Good god, lighten up people. We all have opinions, and LANTERN-RO expressed his respectfully so there should be NO problem here.
    Oh really? Let's look at this . . .

Yes, that definitely sounds very respectable, sweet, nice, and understanding. Every word of it.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    The tire test, where you drive over the figure in a car; the canine test, where you let Fido chew on him for a bit; oh, and my favorite, the skeet-shooting test. Launch that Master in the air and let'em have it!

Also don't forget soaking Mekaneck in Coca-Cola, turpentine, and holy water for 48 hours. Otherwise, it's a bogus review.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Don't forget soaking it in Coca-Cola, turpentine, and holy water for 48 hours. Otherwise, it's a bogus review.
    Anything else would be uncivilized.

Heroic Warrior
    Oh really? Let's look at this . . .

Yes, that definitely sounds very respectable, sweet, nice, and understanding. Every word of it.
    Despite your sarcasm, it reads absolutely fine to me. Put down the pitchforks.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    Despite your sarcasm, it reads absolutely fine to me. Put down the pitchforks.
    Different strokes then, because with the way he includes "were," "need" and all the insults about needing an assistant - inferring he can't do the job - it's very condescending and demanding in my eyes.

Great review Dan!

Different strokes then, because with the way he includes "were," "need" and all the insults about needing an assistant - inferring he can't do the job - it's very condescending and demanding in my eyes.
    Well maybe he is just like how a lot of people say that Scott is? Just doesn't come off right in only writing? Is it totally wrong to ask Dan to scrape his free review figure on the arm or leg to see if this is becoming a new normal? Don't want him to miss something so that Scott can keep bringing it up as not a big deal.

"Different strokes" or "Takes one to know one."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    Great review Dan!

Well maybe he is just like how a lot of people say that Scott is? Just doesn't come off right in only writing? Is it totally wrong to ask Dan to scrape his free review figure on the arm or leg to see if this is becoming a new normal? Don't want him to miss something so that Scott can keep bringing it up as not a big deal.
    Full-on flames or die!!!